New Format for the Pro Bowl coming

faba

AFC-NFC format gone in 2014
Updated: July 31, 2013, 2:06 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The NFL is overhauling the Pro Bowl, eliminating the AFC-NFC format in favor of captains picking 43 players per team regardless of conference.

In addition, kickoffs will be eliminated from the game as a safety measure, one of several changes to the game.

Voting for the game also will be changed as conference affiliation no longer will be considered in determining the All-Star selections. 

Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will be captains of their respective picking teams. The Pro Bowl draft will be held Jan. 22 next year and the game will be played Jan. 26 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

the "pro bowl" should be done around week 13 with 4 games remaining, essentially giving all teams a second bye. That weekend you could skills events with the pro bowlers, retired players flag football, crap like that. No one cares about the actual Pro Bowl game.

They should just have a talent show and a swimsuit competition and be done with it. No one is ever going to care, and this format may actually lead to people to care less - if that's at all possible.

I don't watch the Pro Bowl anyway, though I used to.

If you eliminate the NFC-AFC aspect, how are the fans supposed to develop a cheering interest and care who wins?  I mean if your team is in the AFC, you cheer for the side your team's players are on.

Fans are going to care even less now.

Archived