Dumbest plan ever by Jets management

Cmartin

Link doesn't work anyone wanna be a dill and copy and paste?

I'm on my phone

New York Jets Take Famous Chant and Make it Organized Team Event

Jul 31st, 2013 at 10:38 pm by Alan SchechterJets

Home » Jets » New York Jets Take Famous Chant and Make it Organized Team Event
horizontal_fancred_white_73x22.png

6644102-300x199.jpg

Oct. 8, 2012; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Fireman Ed gets the crowd going at the game between the New York Jets and the Houston Texans at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Debby Wong-USA TODAY Sports

Remember our buddy to the right, Fireman Ed? Well it doesn’t look like he is planning on returning for the 2013 season. The Jets are actually planning a way to replace him. And it’s a little bit crazy.

The Jets organization has taken it upon itself to take the famous “J-E-T-S” chant, and, instead of letting the fans do it naturally, converted it into an organized event. The letters will be done by designed sections. Take a look, right from a publication put out by the Jets:

Jets-cheer-300x224.jpg

You see? Each section has been assigned a letter, to coordinate the chant.

My initial reaction? Why?!?!?! My reaction as I thought about it? Why?!?!?!? In all my years of rooting for the Jets, this might be the dumbest thing I have seen them do, other than personnel decisions.

I don’t have the ability to convey how I REALLY feel about this, because Fansided runs clean websites. If anyone asked me about this in person, I would use the appropriate words to describe how truly stupid this is, and how badly the Jets are wasting their time. But, with clean words, I will do my best.

First of all, who actually thinks that this plan will work? Typically, the majority of fans that are in attendance at a football game are, at least partially, TANKED. No offense to anyone out there that enjoys their beers at the game, I am just making a statement. You can do what you like. My point is this, you are going take a group of inebriated people, and have them time that chant correctly! They are expected to know when it’s their turn? This is bound to screw up, even just taking the plan at face value.

Secondly, is it not an organization’s job to dictate to me, or any other fans, how to cheer! That is our decision, it’s not to be told to me. The J-E-T-S chant has been owned by Jets’ fans for more than 30 years. It started many years ago with Fireman Ed and his friends, and it was done where one side of the stadium would do the entire chant, and the opposite side would do it back and respond. It evolved into Fireman Ed leading the entire stadium at once. But it EVOLVED. It just happened, naturally. That is how cheers like that occur, naturally.

You don’t take fan initiated cheers away from the fans.

Note to the Jets and the organization, if you want to make us cheer, SCORE SOME MORE. Have an offense that isn’t at the bottom of the league in scoring. Then, I will cheer all you want. But you have no business taking over the famous chant. It’s ours, you can’t have it.

In all my years of rooting for the Jets, this might be the dumbest thing I have seen them do, other than personnel decisions.

Quite the sizable disclaimer there. Lol.

Yeah, other than some personnel decisions, a couple coaching hires, a few front office placements, the occasional owner, stadium leases, etc., this one really ranks way up there.

Quite the sizable disclaimer there. Lol.

Yeah, other than some personnel decisions, a couple coaching hires, a few front office placements, the occasional owner, stadium leases, etc., this one really ranks way up there.

Yea it's probably safe for these guys to stop writting statements like that, it is to the point where you don't need to say it, if your a Jets fan, or some rutard who follows the Jets to hate on them, statements like this are a given.  Kinda like when I was younger, me, and my friends would always ask what do you want to do today/tonight we never had to imply we were drinking that was a given, it was what are we going to do while we drink, no need to ask do you want to go out drinking.

Here are my thoughts:

Jets Try To Ruin J E T S Chant

by Phil Sullivan on August 1, 2013[edit]

email.png

The Jets marketing department has been very successful when it comes to getting likes and follows on social media accounts.  They embraced social media early on and have done some good things.  Now that we have that out of the way, if someone within the Jets organization would reign in the marketing department it would be greatly appreciated.

Jets_Chant.jpg

Last night I saw this tweet by The Jet Press.  The image says:

In 2013, we are launching an all-new J-E-T-S chant tradition.  As a first step, please find your section on the map for your letter on gameday.

Call your Jets Client Relations Representative to find out more at 800-469-JETS (5387), and start practicing your loudest J-E-T-S chant!

The part that confuses me is why I would need to practice the entire Jets chant if I am only assigned one letter on game day?  I got to my office early this morning and have been practicing.  Unfortunately though, my part of the chant only involves the letter S.  My co-workers are a little disturbed right now as I keep screaming S, then I wait 8 seconds and I scream S again.

Fireman Ed was the most recent “leader of the chant”.  It is well documented but Ed did not start the chant.  The fans started the chant.  The fans always led the chant.  The Jets marketing department didn’t start the chant.  They never led the chant.

There is no reason for this to change now.

I called the Jets to make sure this was true.  I spoke to Danny, who was very nice and helpful.  Danny did confirm that the Jets have changed the chant and he was prepared to help me figure out what letter I was assigned, in case I had a hard time reading the map.  I thanked him and told him I should be able to figure it out and that I would call back if I needed help.

If only they could have put out the map before I bought my PSLs.  I am now stuck with the letter S forever.

Fan reaction to the has been pretty unanimous from what I have seen so far.  It is pretty hard to get Jets fans to agree on anything, so that is a good indication of how silly this new idea is.  Had the Jets just let this play out, the chant would have survived.  If they go forward with this plan, not only will they not be starting a new tradition, they will be ending an old one.

To the suits at 1 Jets Drive in Florham Park, you should admit you were wrong and just move on.  The JETS chant was something unique that we had and you just turned it into the Wave.  Thanks, but no thanks.

The guy who wore the Klecko jersey with the beard and whistle who threw out candy started it I thought.

It was great when the stadium was in two, each following a guy in the end zone on their side of the field.  J E T S , the other half of the stadium went, then J E T S again.  Doing it that way you had twice the amount of chants with half the work.  :)

Thinking about what the Jets are trying to do here, I still can't believe they tried to run with this.  Who approved this?

and I thought the stadium experience couldnt get any worse. 

It seems to be one of the corporate objectives.  Apparently somebody has a bonus tied to, "Making sure the stadium remains silent".

It was great when the stadium was in two, each following a guy in the end zone on their side of the field.  J E T S , the other half of the stadium went, then J E T S again.  Doing it that way you had twice the amount of chants with half the work.  :)

Way to date yourself, old man.

The Jets marketing department is a bunch of 26 year old halfwits sitting in a room pretending they're selling widgets to morons. They don't understand Jets fans, they're condescending to extremes, and they're rabidly ineffective at their jobs. The Giants PR machine could type a release with their collective dicks that made more sense than any five years' worth of work that the Jets organization produces. Idiots to the core.

The Jets marketing department is a bunch of 26 year old halfwits sitting in a room pretending they're selling widgets to morons. They don't understand Jets fans, they're condescending to extremes, and they're rabidly ineffective at their jobs. The Giants PR machine could type a release with their collective dicks that made more sense than any five years' worth of work that the Jets organization produces. Idiots to the core.

CenaTebow_642.jpg

Thinking about what the Jets are trying to do here, I still can't believe they tried to run with this.  Who approved this?

Yeah, those days were great. Team stunk, fans were great. As a 10 year old, the vocabulary I picked up at meaningless Jets games in December was invaluable for school the following week.

I guess i am in the minority here, maybe even alone, but I think it may be cool if they pulled it off. Might have our opposition doing 360s on the field trying to figure out where the letters are coming from then all at once they get bombarded with JETS JETS JETS!!!!  could work on the dumber players, tayvon austin comes to mind.

The Giants PR machine could type a release with their collective dicks that made more sense than any five years' worth of work that the Jets organization produces. Idiots to the core.

To be fair, Pat Hanlon is a jerkoff and Giants fans are lame to begin with. 

What would be the imagined benefit that they think they'll reap from "organizing" this?

If they just want to make the place louder, well fans are going to do the chant anyway, so "organizing" this chant doesn't make it any louder.

It's not dumb, I just don't get the point.

Archived