Recap: Green and White Scrimmage

T0mShane

The Jets played their Green and White Scrimmage tonight. Here are some...BULLET POINTS

--If the job of quarterback solely entailed throwing the ball to receivers, Geno Smith would win it easily. But throwing the ball to a receiver only happens if the quarterback can call protections and identify the blitz, which Geno simply cannot do at this point. Rex's blitz packages confused Geno much moreso than they did Sanchez, and Geno would have gotten crushed a minimum of five times easily. Until he gets a handle on keeping blitzers off of him, Rex needs to keep Geno on the bench.

--There really was nothing redeeming about Sanchez's play tonight. He was inaccurate both short and deep, and everything he does lacks confidence at this point. The pick he threw to Cromartie down the left sideline was putrid rookie-type garbage (safety help over Vidal Hazelton, with Cro appearing to be the intended receiver). In short, he looks like he's given up. He closed the scrimmage with a bomb to Stephen Hill, who beat Ellis Lankster one-on-one. Even Sanchez looked surprised it was completed.

--Bilal Powell was quietly the offensive star of the game, showing good vision, power, and wiggle to pick up yards. He reminded me a lot of Joe Morris in the way that he would get under tacklers and drive through them to eke out an extra couple of yards.

--The flip side of Powell looking good was that the interior defense looked soft. David Harris looks lighter on his feet, but he wasn't as stout against blockers as he usually is, Demario Davis was pushed back at times, and--most glaringly--Kenrick Ellis was easily handled on running plays. Ellis' game is all finesse, it seems, which is the opposite of Sione Pouha, whom the Jets will sorely miss.

--The Marty Mornhinweg offense will feature a lot of rollouts and screens to go along with intermediate slants and posts--all conducive to helping a young QB. You can definitely see why QBs who weren't exactly gifted have prospered in it before--it doesn't require great arm strength or complicated reads.

TBC

The announcers thought that Geno WAS picking up the blitzes and it was the OL not doing the right things. Only the Jets staff will not that. And the way to get better at reading blitzes is to get more reps. The charade needs to stop and Geno needs to get ALL 1st team reps until game 1. He is just a better QB.

Seems like Greg McElroy isnt getting love on this recap, however he was 5 of 5 for 130 yards and 2TD's. a 50 yarder and the other a 70 yarder. I like how McElroy is approaching this competition as a 3 way and not just Geno/Sanchez. Dude lit it up for real!

Wasnt he playing against 3rd stringers? We saw him last season and he was no better than Sanchez. No arm strength and holds on to the ball too long. If we aren't going to start Sanchez, they definitely won't go with McElroy.

Wasnt he playing against 3rd stringers? We saw him last season and he was no better than Sanchez. No arm strength and holds on to the ball too long. If we aren't going to start Sanchez, they definitely won't go with McElroy.

We seen him for one and a half games, one of those games was a come from behind win and the other a loss with virtually no offensive weapons vs a 1st team defense. Saying "no better than sanchez" means nothing when he was "no worse than sanchez". Besides, last I heard, you "compete" for the position. So what he was playing against 3rd stringers. A player who is better than just a 3rd stringer should go 5 of 5 for 130 yards and 2TD's against them. 

We seen him for one and a half games, one of those games was a come from behind win and the other a loss with virtually no offensive weapons vs a 1st team defense. Saying "no better than sanchez" means nothing when he was "no worse than sanchez". Besides, last I heard, you "compete" for the position. So what he was playing against 3rd stringers. A player who is better than just a 3rd stringer should go 5 of 5 for 130 yards and 2TD's against them.

I stopped after "We seen him".

You stopped after you realized it was a good point.

I don't know what the point was because it was barely readable. McElroy is a 7th rounder and the third or fourth most talented QB on the roster. He'll be holding a clipboard. Reading too much into a scrimmage is silly. He had a shot and got sacked approximately seventy-five times. Just stop. He's not good.

I don't know what the point was because it was barely readable. McElroy is a 7th rounder and the third or fourth most talented QB on the roster. He'll be holding a clipboard. Reading too much into a scrimmage is silly. He had a shot and got sacked approximately seventy-five times. Just stop. He's not good.

I thought you stopped? Your words dont mean much....

If McElroy wants to hold a clipboard he certainly can. If he wants to be more than that then he'll go 5 for 5 for 130yds and 2TD's during a scrimmage because he knows that reading too much into a scrimmage will do him much good for people silly enough to sleep on it or him.

And Tom Brady was a 6th rounder holding a clip board. Didnt stop him did it? Either compete or dont waste the Jets time looking to hold a clipboard. 

I thought you stopped? Your words dont mean much....

If McElroy wants to hold a clipboard he certainly can. If he wants to be more than that then he'll go 5 for 5 for 130yds and 2TD's during a scrimmage because he knows that reading too much into a scrimmage will do him much good for people silly enough to sleep on it or him.

And Tom Brady was a 6th rounder holding a clip board. Didnt stop him did it? Either compete or dont waste the Jets time looking to hold a clipboard.

McElroy is not an NFL player, despite the statsss

--The flip side of Powell looking good was that the interior defense looked soft. David Harris looks lighter on his feet, but he wasn't as stout against blockers as he usually is, Demario Davis was pushed back at times, and--most glaringly--Kenrick Ellis was easily handled on running plays. Ellis' game is all finesse, it seems, which is the opposite of Sione Pouha, whom the Jets will sorely miss.

Did you see "Snacks" Harrison in at NT? Are you saying Ellis would be better suited for obvious passing downs? If not Ellis as a 3 down lineman did "Snacks" look good against the #1's?

Thanks for the reports! You picked up on some things that escaped the ESPN talking heard.

And Simms is?  Please.  I'm not saying that McElroy is good, but he does have a lot of attributes that are a good fit for a WCO, and judging a player on 1-2 games when the whole team was playing like crap is nuts.  A smart, accurate QB can work with a WCO.  It may not be great, but for a short term backup, it can work.  A QB with no feel for the game, no brain, and a strong, inaccurate arm won't work in any offense.  Simms is awful.  The only reason he's getting another look is because of his old man and the desperation of teams to find quality QBs.

And Simms is?  Please.  I'm not saying that McElroy is good, but he does have a lot of attributes that are a good fit for a WCO, and judging a player on 1-2 games when the whole team was playing like crap is nuts.  A smart, accurate QB can work with a WCO.  It may not be great, but for a short term backup, it can work.  A QB with no feel for the game, no brain, and a strong, inaccurate arm won't work in any offense.  Simms is awful.  The only reason he's getting another look is because of his old man and the desperation of teams to find quality QBs.

I never said McElroy should be cut or shouldn't be the #3 QB.  Never.  All I said was this is a two player competition and any thought to McElroy as a viable starter option is ridiculous. 

Archived