Recap: Green and White Scrimmage

T0mShane

I never said McElroy should be cut or shouldn't be the #3 QB.  Never.  All I said was this is a two player competition and any thought to McElroy as a viable starter option is ridiculous. 

He's better than Sanchez is right now. He's not going to sh*t his pants if you put him in the game.

That's just simply not true.  We saw how good McElroy wasn't last season.  No need to re-live that atrocity.

Its very true. Go re-watch the Titans game from last year. I saw it up close on Saturday....Sanchez is just shot. It's over.

I never said McElroy should be cut or shouldn't be the #3 QB.  Never.  All I said was this is a two player competition and any thought to McElroy as a viable starter option is ridiculous. 

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.  I thought you were saying that Simms was a better QB than McElroy, and McElroy couldn't even function as a serviceable backup QB.

That's just simply not true.  We saw how good McElroy wasn't last season.  No need to re-live that atrocity.

See?  You are judging McElroy based on his limited appearance last season when the team was awful.  Sanchez may have a stronger arm, but that is the ONLY definite positive attribute he has over McElroy at QB that we know at this time.  We simply haven't seen enough of McElroy to say with any certainty imo.  He may be everything you say, but I just don't think we've seen enough of him to accurately say that.

See?  You are judging McElroy based on his limited appearance last season when the team was awful.  

HE was awful too. He got a shot and he was worse than Sanchez. btw this year's team isn't much improved from last years version. 

McElroy makes Pennington look like Flacco.

Are we serious?

Someone needs to dredge up a video of all the out-routes he threw that the opposing team just sat back on and took to the house; hell, asante samuels has to have a few alone.  It's just hard to fathom people could have witnessed post-surgery chad and his inability to throw outside the hashes and not think arm-strength is an issue.  Unless the Jets had a lead, opposing teams knew late in the game there was no way any passes were being completed outside those hashes; i'm getting frustrated just talking about it.

See? You are judging McElroy based on his limited appearance last season when the team was awful. Sanchez may have a stronger arm, but that is the ONLY definite positive attribute he has over McElroy at QB that we know at this time. We simply haven't seen enough of McElroy to say with any certainty imo. He may be everything you say, but I just don't think we've seen enough of him to accurately say that.

I think the coaches and big football decision makers have though. He's been around a couple years now.

Jets put some videos from the scrimmage up on their site:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Jets-Green--White-Scrimmage-Recap/e6a28001-1198-4a44-ab83-af912236c8e5

If nothing else, Powell certainly looked like he wasn't screwing around out there.

He certainly did.  I think we know the floor with Bilal and with his versatility in the passing-game and blitz pick-up and at the very least I don't see us being any worse in the running-game compared to last year.

He certainly did.  I think we know the floor with Bilal and with his versatility in the passing-game and blitz pick-up and at the very least I don't see us being any worse in the running-game compared to last year.

Agreed.  He outperformed Greene last year when given the opportunity, so at worst we're a step ahead in that regard.  Let's just hope somebody else steps up / stays healthy as well.

See?  You are judging McElroy based on his limited appearance last season when the team was awful.  Sanchez may have a stronger arm, but that is the ONLY definite positive attribute he has over McElroy at QB that we know at this time.  We simply haven't seen enough of McElroy to say with any certainty imo.  He may be everything you say, but I just don't think we've seen enough of him to accurately say that.

tebow argument

I think the coaches and big football decision makers have though. He's been around a couple years now.

If they have, so be it, but based on the vagueness of Rex's comments regarding McElroy on Saturday, those thoughts/feelings could well be colored by Rex's being unhappy with him for what he said in the offseason years ago.

If given my choice, I'd rather not have Sanchez or McElroy on the team as backups (much less starters), but if I had to choose between the two, there's no question in my mind that I'd take McElroy, sight unseen over Sanchez.  Unless Mornhinweg has somehow made a silk purse out of a sow's ass, I've seen enough of Sanchez to last me a couple of lifetimes at least.  McElroy might prove to be as bad in his own way, but I'd have to see it to believe it to believe that he could be as bad as Sanchez at reading Ds, panicking back there, and being as clumsy.  Yes, in his 1-2 starts when the team was playing awful, I'm sure he was pressing and nervous and did looks crappy (I didn't get to see those games).  I'm sure however, that if he were as coddled and given as much time and snaps as Sanchez has gotten, than he'd look and play infinitely better even with a noodle arm.

Archived