Santonio Holmes Foot Injury (MERGED)

joewilly12

According to ESPN New York, sources close to the Jets don't know if Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc) is still healing, or "milking the injury to protect his self interests."

We'd guess the latter. Lisfranc injuries are serious business, but rarely take a year to return from in an age where players are rushing back from ruptured Achilles' tendons and torn ACLs. Holmes went down last September 30. Per beat writer Rich Cimini, Holmes "looked like an old man as he walked across the practice field" last week. Guaranteed $7.5 million this season and certain to be released next winter, Holmes — from his point of view — has no reason to rush his return.

According to ESPN New York, sources close to the Jets don't know if Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc) is still healing, or "milking the injury to protect his self interests."

We'd guess the latter. Lisfranc injuries are serious business, but rarely take a year to return from in an age where players are rushing back from ruptured Achilles' tendons and torn ACLs. Holmes went down last September 30. Per beat writer Rich Cimini, Holmes "looked like an old man as he walked across the practice field" last week. Guaranteed $7.5 million this season and certain to be released next winter, Holmes — from his point of view — has no reason to rush his return.

He's not going anywhere.

What interests is he protecting? He's almost assuredly going to get cut this year, you'd think he'd want to showcase his abilities this year to get that last contract.  And not for nothing, but "old man?? Cimini?? Most reports were that he was jumping around in place while catching balls and looking anything but old.  

“it’s what we all do in our profession in order to sustain a long-term career in one place. You have to be willing to sacrifice for the team and for the better not just for yourself.”

The man is all heart, he took a pay cut to be a Jet and now even as he overcomes great adversity he continues to mentor the younger guys on the right way to do things.

he has a borderline career ending injury.  would you walk away from your last pay checks ?  I wouldn't.  this is a bone injury, it's not like he can lift weights and fix it

the jets won't be any good until they get out from under the headbands contract and the captains.

simple as that

this year is for comedy relief

What interests is he protecting? He's almost assuredly going to get cut this year, you'd think he'd want to showcase his abilities this year to get that last contract. And not for nothing, but "old man?? Cimini?? Most reports were that he was jumping around in place while catching balls and looking anything but old.

It's sketchy to assume Holmes would sit out willingly, even if he is a cock. But, Holmes has two routes to a decent contract next season:

1. He starts 15, 16 games with a miraculously healed foot, reels in 65+ catches, keeps his nose clean, shows that he can still run, and that he was a good soldier on a struggling offense.

2. He rehabs like a mofo, plays the last four games of the year with Geno at QB, shows the speed and acceleration again, and becomes a hot commodity on the free agent market as every other team blames his struggles on Sanchez.

Then again, he has two routes to getting Ochocinco'ed:

1. He comes back at less than 100%, looks slow, gets reinjured halfway through the year and goes on IR with 20 catches and a 9.2 ypc.

2. He comes back Week Four, spends the season working himself into shape, while Sanchez and Geno struggle; he puts up 35 grabs for 365 yards and whines the whole way through. (<---MOST LIKELY SCENARIO)

What interests is he protecting? He's almost assuredly going to get cut this year, you'd think he'd want to showcase his abilities this year to get that last contract.  And not for nothing, but "old man?? Cimini?? Most reports were that he was jumping around in place while catching balls and looking anything but old.  

Between injuries and attitude Holmes' last big contract is the last one he signed with the Jets. He will be going on that Ande Rison route of signing for what ever he can get from year to year at the end of his career. Showcase? GTFOH. The idea any franchise would give him a big money long-term deal off this is beyond laughable. 

Between injuries and attitude Holmes' last big contract is the last one he signed with the Jets. He will be going on that Ande Rison route of signing for what ever he can get from year to year at the end of his career. Showcase? GTFOH. The idea any franchise would give him a big money long-term deal off this is beyond laughable. 

THIS

Regardless of his heart or lack thereof,  in this day and age, why would players really go to bat for their owners and teams?  It's a business as we always here. He already took a pay cut.  So if he thinks he still has it, but would rather take time off and not reinjure something or look bad because of the injury and team, why not wait until you feel 100 percent.      I mean the entire Revis situation, like the guy or not, kind of shows you how the Jets treat players. It's a common theme among most teams.  

Hell look at the Ravens after they won a super bowl. Look at Peyton Manning, Montana, Troy Aikman, etc over the years.   If the guy thinks he still can play, but doesn't feel like he's completely healthy, why would he come back for a team who stinks, playing WR with Sanchez or Smith, and for a team who will probably cut him either way when the season is over?    I know if it were me, I'd make sure I was healthy enough and then come back.  No reason to come back early from an injury for a team who will dump you anyway.

Regardless of his heart or lack thereof,  in this day and age, why would players really go to bat for their owners and teams?  It's a business as we always here. He already took a pay cut.  So if he thinks he still has it, but would rather take time off and not reinjure something or look bad because of the injury and team, why not wait until you feel 100 percent.      I mean the entire Revis situation, like the guy or not, kind of shows you how the Jets treat players. It's a common theme among most teams.  

Hell look at the Ravens after they won a super bowl. Look at Peyton Manning, Montana, Troy Aikman, etc over the years.   If the guy thinks he still can play, but doesn't feel like he's completely healthy, why would he come back for a team who stinks, playing WR with Sanchez or Smith, and for a team who will probably cut him either way when the season is over?    I know if it were me, I'd make sure I was healthy enough and then come back.  No reason to come back early from an injury for a team who will dump you anyway.

And how did the Jets (mis)treat Revis?

And how did the Jets (mis)treat Revis?

I would say (mis)treat is the wrong way to put it. I would say it was an owner acting like a spoiled little bitch when someone else was playing the same game he was, but the owner was losing, and couldn't handle it, so instead he throws a tantrum (metaphorically speaking), and refuses to even consider negotiating with the player because he couldn't win.

In short Woody acted like a bitch, and took his ball, and went home when the going got tough!

Ryan Kalil from the panthers has the same injury...hes playing.....holmes is a vagina...

There are different severities of a Lisfranc injury.  Kalil's injury may not be as bad as Holmes.  He also doesn't have to do as much running as Holmes.  I'm not excusing Holmes if he's dogging it.  I've never been a fan of his and didn't want the Jets adding him in the first place, but I think he'd be playing if he could.

I would say (mis)treat is the wrong way to put it. I would say it was an owner acting like a spoiled little bitch when someone else was playing the same game he was, but the owner was losing, and couldn't handle it, so instead he throws a tantrum (metaphorically speaking), and refuses to even consider negotiating with the player because he couldn't win.

In short Woody acted like a bitch, and took his ball, and went home when the going got tough!

lolwut?

lolwut?

What is so hard to understand here? I am so sick of hearing it is ok for the owners to cut a player at will, and it is acceptable because hey it's a "business" BUT it is not ok for the player to play the same game, it goes from being called a tough "BUSINESS" decision to a "SELFISH PLAYER"! And once Revis flipped the script on Woody, he acted like a baby plain, and simple. If your gonna give it, you better be able to take it.

USATSI_7356793.jpg

The receiver has been out with a foot injury and is very quiet about when he might come back. An ESPN NewYork.com blog item said "the minority opinion" in the organization is that he's milking the injury to miss training camp, just to be ready for the season opener. The story says that others in the organization think he's taking it slow to make sure he's fully healthy to maximize his value next offseason, considering he's sure to be cut after the season.

It's a pretty serious charge to say he's milking an injury to sit out training camp. It was a seriousLisfranc injury he suffered. But considering there's never a quiet moment around the Jets, it's also not a huge surprise this has become a contentious issue.

How did the Jets mistreat Revis?

How did the Jets mistreat Revis?

They didn't, BUT they mistreated the situation. Revis played fire VS fire since he was drafted, Woody hated that, and never dealt with the situation properly from day 1, he took it personal because he couldn't handle a player flipping the script on the owner, widely considered "Selfish" that is BS IMO, it's SMART from a business perspective if that is what your model dictates, you better be right about your business model thou, and till now (after this year he is taking a big risk with that non guaranteed contract, but since September 2010 I think Revis has been handed roughly 64 million dollars counting this years guaranteed salary, I would say that is being very succesful on the business side) I would say Revis had his pegged 100% correct from day 1, and was underestimated by Woody, and Tanny from day 1 as a business man.

And as a fan if you don't want to hear this stuff then stay out of forming an opinion one side, or another just worry about who is on your sideline week 1, but if your going to put your .02 in about it, you need to understand it is a "BUSINESS", and it works 2 ways not just the owners way!

What is so hard to understand here? I am so sick of hearing it is ok for the owners to cut a player at will, and it is acceptable because hey it's a "business" BUT it is not ok for the player to play the same game, it goes from being called a tough "BUSINESS" decision to a "SELFISH PLAYER"! And once Revis flipped the script on Woody, he acted like a baby plain, and simple. If your gonna give it, you better be able to take it.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more.  I don't like Woody, never have, but he did nothing wrong with Revis.  Revis was a pain in the ass from the time the Jets drafted him.  His uncle, Sean Gilbert, had one of the worst attitudes in the history of the NFL, and he counseled Revis well.  Revis held out or threatened to every time.  I'm not gonna wish an injury on him, but as far as I'm concerned I won't shed a tear if he can never play again.  I despise his greedy ass.

Maybe this 'minority opinion' is just another case of 'anonymous source'.  Could be the effing ball boy for all we know.  It's not like ESPN is known for journalistic integrity or anything.  I sort of wonder if we weren't happier fans when we didn't have this much access to 'anonymous' information.

Archived