Sanchez to start vs Jaguars

Maxman

Essentially announcing that Sanchez will start the regular season, too.

yep

I can't stand seeing Sanchez at QB, but if Smith couldn't obviously wrestle the job from him then he shouldn't be starting yet either.  Sanchez won't hold the job for long, and this 2013 team wasn't exactly destined for greatness anyway.

yep

I can't stand seeing Sanchez at QB, but if Smith couldn't obviously wrestle the job from him then he shouldn't be starting yet either.  Sanchez won't hold the job for long, and this 2013 team wasn't exactly destined for greatness anyway.

Yes,  but I have a feeling that this defense may be really special.... 

I was in a Nike outlet store and the Sanchez jerseys were only $5 more than Tebow jerseys. I am talking about a Tebow Jet jersey.

That is crazy.  Sanchez is going to be the starting QB and they were the same price as a 3rd stringer from last year that is now on the Jets biggest rival.   Crazy.

I was in a Nike outlet store and the Sanchez jerseys were only $5 more than Tebow jerseys. I am talking about a Tebow Jet jersey.

That is crazy.  Sanchez is going to be the starting QB and they were the same price as a 3rd stringer from last year that is now on the Jets biggest rival.   Crazy.

were they pink ? Was there a tattoo in the deal ?

not unexpected. I really don't think Geno is ready from what I saw last week. let him rest and learn the game. Week 11 will be here soon enough.

Agree with starting Sanchez and letting Geno learn, but not week 11. After the bye, put Geno in and get him ready for next season. It's a rebuilding year anyway.

Agree with starting Sanchez and letting Geno learn, but not week 11. After the bye, put Geno in and get him ready for next season. It's a rebuilding year anyway.

I think the Jets have a Week 10 bye this year.

And this tells us we will be selecting a QB in next years draft as early as possible

Not necessarily.  The kid (Geno) already had a better, stronger, more accurate arm than Sanchez and is smarter.  He had a ton of adjustments to make with regard to footwork, dropping back, learning the speed of the NFL, reading the Ds, and learning the WCO.  The latter point shouldn't be underestimated imo as he basically had no playbook all four years in college.  Based on everything I've heard of it, the WCO is a very complicated offense, from its terminology/verbiage to play design.  I don't think it was a coincidence that Geno's worst days in TC came towards the end as they were installing more of the offense (more complex parts?).  I think he was finally overwhelmed with all he was having to think about.  LOTS of rookies go through that and their head swims.  Geno may later prove to not be a reliable quality NFL starter or even backup, but it's way too early to state that now simply because he lost the competition to Sanchez.  Sanchez has something to do with that.  By all accounts Sanchez has had a very good TC and is improved.  I expected that Mornhinweg would help Sanchez and make him a better QB.  How much better remains to be seen.  I still expect the panicky buttfumbles on occasion and the mind numbing stupid interceptions on occasion, but I think we'll see fewer of them, perhaps even a lot fewer of them, and his play will be better.  While the odds on it are sky high, I think there's a small chance that Sanchez could still develop into an average or perhaps even above average QB.  I doubt that will happen, but if it does, I think it will be a huge indictment of the Jets and the way they rushed him onto the field and the poor caliber of coaching he has received previously.

Analysis: Sanchez to start vs. Jaguars

August, 15, 2013

Aug 15

10:36

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Quick takeaways from the Jets' announcement Thursday morning that Mark Sanchez will start Saturday night against the Jaguars:

1. No surprise: Clearly, Rex Ryan was leaning this way Wednesday when he ripped Geno Smith for his "brutal" practice. One thing I found interesting: In announcing the starter on Twitter, the Jets made no mention of it being Ryan's decision. It was presented as a team decision. This is noteworthy in light of GM John Idzik declaring early in camp that he will have "a pretty big role" in the picking the quarterback -- an ill-advised statement that did nothing but undercut his coach's authority.

2. Sanchez, likely winner: Unless Smith plays like Aaron Rodgers next week against the Giants -- assuming he plays -- the Week 1 starting job will go to Sanchez. Jets Nation won't be happy.

3. The ankle boo-boo: The Jets dropped the ball by making Smith practice all week on a tender ankle. Now there's a chance he won't play at all against the Jaguars, likely forcing them to extend the competition another week. Why didn't they give him a couple of days off? Two reasons: It was only a minor ankle sprain, I'm told, and Ryan didn't want to create the perception that Smith was being coddled, a la Sanchez. I think Ryan wanted to give Smith a chance to show his toughness to his new teammates. I can see where he's coming from, but it would have been better to err on the side of caution.

4. What now? Ryan will address the matter on a 3 p.m. conference call with the media, but from all indications, it looks like the competition will be extended to the third preseason game. That would hurt the overall development of the offense.

Instead of using the Giants game as a final tuneup, playing the starters for about three quarters, the Jets would still be evaluating their quarterbacks. So let's say Smith starts and plays the first half and Sanchez plays a quarter. That would rob Sanchez -- the likely Week 1 starter -- of two quarters of reps. That's a considerable chunk of time considering Ryan doesn't play starters in the preseason finale. The issue would be magnified because it's a new offensive system, so every rep is important.

5. Geno fan club: If Ryan gives Smith a shot against the Giants, it shows how badly the organization wants to replace Sanchez. It's waiting ... waiting ... waiting for Smith to give them something -- anything -- to validate making him the starter.

6. Nothing comes easy: If anyone expected this quarterback competition to go smoothly, you haven't been paying attention for 40 years. Forget 40 years; how 'bout the past 17 months? Just Google "Tim Tebow" and "debacle" and you'll understand.

Not necessarily.  The kid (Geno) already had a better, stronger, more accurate arm than Sanchez and is smarter.  He had a ton of adjustments to make with regard to footwork, dropping back, learning the speed of the NFL, reading the Ds, and learning the WCO.  The latter point shouldn't be underestimated imo as he basically had no playbook all four years in college.  Based on everything I've heard of it, the WCO is a very complicated offense, from its terminology/verbiage to play design.  I don't think it was a coincidence that Geno's worst days in TC came towards the end as they were installing more of the offense (more complex parts?).  I think he was finally overwhelmed with all he was having to think about.  LOTS of rookies go through that and their head swims.  Geno may later prove to not be a reliable quality NFL starter or even backup, but it's way too early to state that now simply because he lost the competition to Sanchez.  Sanchez has something to do with that.  By all accounts Sanchez has had a very good TC and is improved.  I expected that Mornhinweg would help Sanchez and make him a better QB.  How much better remains to be seen.  I still expect the panicky buttfumbles on occasion and the mind numbing stupid interceptions on occasion, but I think we'll see fewer of them, perhaps even a lot fewer of them, and his play will be better.  While the odds on it are sky high, I think there's a small chance that Sanchez could still develop into an average or perhaps even above average QB.  I doubt that will happen, but if it does, I think it will be a huge indictment of the Jets and the way they rushed him onto the field and the poor caliber of coaching he has received previously.

that's a really good post Klecko and I agree with it 100 % but there are some things about Geno that bug me I won't get into them much because I also believe the guy needs to get a chance to prove himself and hes not had that chance as of yet. I don't want to take the road of trying to predict what Geno might or might not do. I also should not have made that statement you responded to because I really do not know whats available in next years draft since I no longer follow college football like I used too.

Cimini's article is making a big deal out of little.

The Jets said all off season that the theme was competition, you had to win the job.

Sanchez started to look better in practices, but Geno hurt his ankle in the first preseason game.  So they extended the competition one more preseason game-into the third-just to make sure.  It's indicative of nothing except that they want to make sure that the starter has earned the position.

Sanchez is ahead right now, but because of the injury, Geno gets two more shots at it.

Archived