NBA Efficiency Rating Inventor Kills Self, Explains Via Website

Lil Bit Special

http://deadspin.com/nba-efficiency-rating-inventor-kills-self-explains-via-1154741280?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Martin Manley, the former Kansas City Star contributor whose insight into sports made him a key component of that paper's sports section, committed suicide yesterday—and left a sprawling website to explain why.

Manley, who most recently had been filing daily sports updates on his personal blog, appears to have planned his 60th-birthday suicide months in advance, and explained his arguments for killing himself along with lengthy memoirs about his career and relationships—all of them in a calm and reasoned voice that betrays the assumed nature of a man about to take his own life. One reference to a fortune he'd recently made in gold left Overland Park residents on a rush seeking alleged buried treasure; cops had to debunk the idea as a hoax to keep citizens from destroying an arboretum.

National sports fans might best know Martin Manley as the creator of the NBA's efficiency index, a catch-all rating that, while since eclipsed by John Hollinger's PER system, is still endorsed by the league as an official statistic.

Manley's main argument for killing himself was to avoid the creeping ravages of death; the website he left in his wake includes opinions on conspiracy theoriessynesthesiagun control, and numerous other topics. All of them are written in the past tense, making it an all the more unsettling experience to read the thoughts of a man who, very sanely, was organizing the conditions of his own death.

His website:

http://www.zeroshare.info/

Hate to say this, but the guy seemed to buy into a lot of the political and economic doomsday predictions and that factored into the act.

Remember the Y2k scare about the whole country lapsing into chaos?  People were quitting their jobs, moving into underground bunkers and awaiting the horror of hungry, homeless people turning into zombies as civilization crumbled.  Those folks climbed out of their bunkers a couple of hours later when it turned out the whole scenario was wrong.

Unfortunately, this guy chose to take his own life instead.  Very sad and tragic.

Hate to say this, but the guy seemed to buy into a lot of the political and economic doomsday predictions and that factored into the act.

Remember the Y2k scare about the whole country lapsing into chaos?  People were quitting their jobs, moving into underground bunkers and awaiting the horror of hungry, homeless people turning into zombies as civilization crumbled.  Those folks climbed out of their bunkers a couple of hours later when it turned out the whole scenario was wrong.

Unfortunately, this guy chose to take his own life instead.  Very sad and tragic.

I used to post on an alternative forum.  I stopped posting for various reasons, but the relentless paranoia is getting worse evey year.  The dollar should have collapsed 764 times bye now.  some people just can't escape it and they spiral down.  there were numerous threads about it.  people on medication, seeing therapists.  

there was a thread about a bombing or "false flag" at the most recent olympics to use as an excuse for martial law.  it never happened.  the author of the thread actually took credit because he said the elites saw his thread and got scared they would be busted

I used to post on an alternative forum.  I stopped posting for various reasons, but the relentless paranoia is getting worse evey year.  The dollar should have collapsed 764 times bye now.  some people just can't escape it and they spiral down.  there were numerous threads about it.  people on medication, seeing therapists.  

there was a thread about a bombing or "false flag" at the most recent olympics to use as an excuse for martial law.  it never happened.  the author of the thread actually took credit because he said the elites saw his thread and got scared they would be busted

I didn't get that idea at all from his reasoning.  He had plenty of money, even quite a bit in gold:

http://www.zeroshare.info/suicide_preface

3) I had no financial problems. I sold my house which was completely paid for in 1998. The same year I bought $30,000 in 1/10 ounce gold coins and pre 1965 silver coins. Gold was $300/ounce when I bought it and silver was $4/ounce. Gold went up to $1,700 and Silver to $44 making my stash worth over $200,000.

Arboreteum_and_Police_Station_005.211160

38.800542, -94.687884

And, I had other assets, including a 401K. Besides, everyone who knows me knew I was extremely cheap. I wanted for nothing.

some people just can't escape it and they spiral down.

You should look up Kathaksung. Toothache ray guns from space, heart attack beams against poor little flea market stallholders, and the Feds deliberately flooded his toilet to set up Hurricane Katrina.

Or something. Completely mental stuff, and he's been posting it on loads of message boards for years.

I didn't get that idea at all from his reasoning.  He had plenty of money, even quite a bit in gold:

http://www.zeroshare.info/suicide_preface

3) I had no financial problems. I sold my house which was completely paid for in 1998. The same year I bought $30,000 in 1/10 ounce gold coins and pre 1965 silver coins. Gold was $300/ounce when I bought it and silver was $4/ounce. Gold went up to $1,700 and Silver to $44 making my stash worth over $200,000.

Arboreteum_and_Police_Station_005.211160

38.800542, -94.687884

And, I had other assets, including a 401K. Besides, everyone who knows me knew I was extremely cheap. I wanted for nothing.

Buying gold is often associated with paranoia.

I haven't read much of the site, but the narcissism jumps off the page.  He may not have depression proper, but there's a depressive element to all of this based around the perceived narcissistic injury of aging and being forgotten that he routinely talks about.  If he died a normal death, out of his control, he'd be ordinary and forgotten.  With this, he could go into Guinness, as he suggests himself!

I haven't read much of the site, but the narcissism jumps off the page.  He may not have depression proper, but there's a depressive element to all of this based around the perceived narcissistic injury of aging and being forgotten that he routinely talks about.  If he died a normal death, out of his control, he'd be ordinary and forgotten.  With this, he could go into Guinness, as he suggests himself!

Plus symbolic penis.

• 3 weeks later...

I started to read it.. And yep, incredibly narcissistic. Poor guy, I wonder if he thinks many people will find him that interesting to actually read it all. I got bored after about 10 minutes..

I started to read it.. And yep, incredibly narcissistic. Poor guy, I wonder if he thinks many people will find him that interesting to actually read it all. I got bored after about 10 minutes..

The fact that your quoting of me, resulting in a notification on this site, is all that caused me to ever think of this again should really tell you all you need to know.

The fact that your quoting of me, resulting in a notification on this site, is all that caused me to ever think of this again should really tell you all you need to know.

I think it's interesting for sure, I don't remember the guys name or care what his accomplishments are but it's definitely interesting that someone would be that egomaniacal

Egomaniacal as he might have come on, I think it's clear that his surety-not just a faith or belief, but an absolute certainty-in a financial Armageddon greased the skids for him to arrive at this fateful decision. 

..3) I had no financial problems. I sold my house which was completely paid for in 1998. The same year I bought $30,000 in 1/10 ounce gold coins and pre 1965 silver coins. Gold was $300/ounce when I bought it and silver was $4/ounce. Gold went up to $1,700 and Silver to $44 making my stash worth over $200,000.

$200,000 is nice, but if that's all you've got for the rest of your life, under the most frugal of circumstances it runs out after a decade.  So then he'll be seventy and broke.

As for his 401K and other investments, by his own beliefs they'll  be quite worthless.  This guy is thinking  Weimar Republic type scenarios.  Despite his denials, it's clear economic disaster is weighing on his mind.

Nobody, unless they have a terrible illness, kills himself at 60 because his abilities will begin to slowly decline.  However, if he is sure he is facing a London Calling type nightmare, it suddenly doesn't seem so unreasonable to get out now.

Archived