flgreen

Sanchez: My best camp ever

August, 19, 2013
Aug 19
7:23
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
nfl_a_sanchez_gb1_576.jpgAP Photo/Seth WenigJets QB Mark Sanchez remains optimistic although his preseason stats are down from previous years.
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez evidently feels pretty good about his chances of winning the starting job.

"I feel good about my performance and the camp I put together," he said Monday. "It's definitely the best camp I've had."

It has been a mixed bag for Sanchez. On the positive side, he has completed 63.9 percent of his passes for 294 yards (second in the NFL). On the downside, he has thrown two costly interceptions -- one returned for a touchdown, the other in the opponents' end zone. His passer rating is 84.7.

Let's check his previous preseasons. He has higher passing ratings in 2009 (111.0) and 2011 (102.9), and he posted higher completion percentages in 2012 (78.8), 2009 (64.9) and 2010 (64.6).

Our conclusion: Sanchez's preseason performance isn't an accurate indicator for his season. But it's pretty apparent, listening to Sanchez, that he feels comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's system. He's never been critical of Tony Sparano's offense from last year, but it's no secret he didn't consider it a quarterback-friendly system.

Asked to explain why Mornhinweg's system suits him, Sanchez said:

"I love the way you can mix up personnel, formations, use some base concepts and run them a million different ways with motions and shifts. I love that he gives us a lot of freedom at the line to go over protection and redirect it with [Nick] Mangold. I think the system, in general, just lends itself to quarterbacks trying to get the ball out quick, taking our shots down field and getting wide outs and skill position players in the right places to distort a defense. Then you go make the read, make the throw and make them work for it."

Sanchez is like a golfer in the clubhouse after a round. His scoreboard is in; the Jets know what they have in Sanchez. Now they're waiting to see how Smith responds Saturday night, assuming he plays.

"I think we’re coming down the stretch here," Sanchez said, "so I’m sure a decision will be made here soon."

Ya know, the really unfortunate thing is, he's probably right.

I also think he is right.  He actually looks good out there, then he throws the stupid pic, or runs the ball with 14 seconds left, after pump faking to a wide open receiver.  Or maybe scrambles with six seconds left, runs clock out, then throws ball away.

LOL

Ah good times are a coming.  

Wish Smith was better them him

I also think he is right.  He actually looks good out there, then he throws the stupid pic, or runs the ball with 14 seconds left, after pump faking to a wide open receiver.  Or maybe scrambles with six seconds left, runs clock out, then throws ball away.

LOL

Ah good times are a coming.  

Wish Smith was better them him

Smith most defintely IS better than Sanchez. 

We made friendship bracelets and drank bug juice and sang songs and roasted marshmellows over a big campfire and I got my first kiss behind the boathouse and it was just the gee-golly best summer ever!

How could you forget sneaking into the girls' bunks on a late-night panty-raid? Mark came away with an adorable neon headband thingy to boot and has donned it ever since. One good thing about YouTube is at least we have video evidence he didn't also take to wearing those panties stolen after midnight.

I am getting worn out with this guy.  Fact is, he is exactly the same bum we have been seeing all along.  He promises nothing.  Geno has some promise.  Most rookies do not play great at the start.  But he is something to work with.  I could not ask my guys to go out and risk injury for a ghost like Sanchez.

I thought last training camp was his best , or maybe it was the one before that. Lol... None the less Sanchez will be Sanchez. It's like being in a bad relationship. Enough with the broken promises that things will be different thus tinned. Lets just be friends, and move on

While I feel the biggest flaw in Sanchez' game are the idiotic turnovers I still can't help but feel hes been handled by borderline Idiots. Just the other day Shottys wonderful offense was shut out in the preseason only to score a TD with a couple minutes left in the game with tomato cans playing... the guy has accomplished nothing with the Jets and now is doing the same old crap with the Rams. Tony Sparano was (if at all possible) worse than Shotty. Sanchez now says he feels more comfortable in this Morhinwig offense and seems to have more control at the LOS as do the other players. I think we will see fairly quickly if he can come around and play well he has the athletic talent and the arm lets see if he can put the mental errors behind him and grow in this new offense.

That's me being optimistic. As a fan I want to see Sanchez succeed and turn the corner and I am hoping it was all about the system's and not the player. I know a lot of you can't stand Sanchez but as Jets fans you have to be rooting for him to come out and play well and then take it to the next level.

While I feel the biggest flaw in Sanchez' game are the idiotic turnovers I still can't help but feel hes been handled by borderline Idiots. Just the other day Shottys wonderful offense was shut out in the preseason only to score a TD with a couple minutes left in the game with tomato cans playing... the guy has accomplished nothing with the Jets and now is doing the same old crap with the Rams. Tony Sparano was (if at all possible) worse than Shotty. Sanchez now says he feels more comfortable in this Morhinwig offense and seems to have more control at the LOS as do the other players. I think we will see fairly quickly if he can come around and play well he has the athletic talent and the arm lets see if he can put the mental errors behind him and grow in this new offense.

That's me being optimistic. As a fan I want to see Sanchez succeed and turn the corner and I am hoping it was all about the system's and not the player. I know a lot of you can't stand Sanchez but as Jets fans you have to be rooting for him to come out and play well and then take it to the next level.

No one can argue your point about Sparano or Schott but that has nothing to do with Snachez's passes going behind and above intended targets or his penchant for pick sixes to lineman and end zone ints. He is not an accurate passer. Never was never will be.

Sanchez is a bad decision maker and lacks the ability and common sense to be a decent NFL QB. 2009-2010 were exceptional years for Sanchez because he was surrounded and masked by talent. Now that he is required to actually be part of the talent he cant. Hes a poor pocket passer,decision maker and most of all lacks arm strength and ability to run with the ball.  I gave up on Sanchez when he was being taught to slide.Id also like to add 1 year starter at USC.

Archived