Sanchez And Smith: Last Round

JetNation

The quarterback competition is winding down; for better or for worse.  Geno Smith missed the last game with an ankle injury and Mark Sanchez missed his chance to end the competition when he threw a red zone interception against the Jaguars.  Sanchez had a golden opportunity to win the quarterback job with Smith and McElroy out, Mark played 3 quarters.  Although he didn’t lose the job, he didn’t put an end to the competition either.

Mark talked about that interception and said, “To put it either a little more in front of Kellen (Winslow) or wait for the next guy. So, we’ll eliminate that mistake and move forward. I was proud that we moved the ball down the field really well. I thought we ran the ball really well all night and gave ourselves chances in the red zone.”

He also gave his thoughts on his performance so far this year, “I think I put together a good camp and I’m only improving. So (I will) just keep putting my best foot forward. Keep playing my best football and leave it up to the coaches.”

Geno Smith was asked if he is behind in the QB competition, “I can’t tell you that. I’m just focusing on myself. Like I said, I try and improve daily and the coaches do the evaluation.”  Does need a home run on Saturday to win the starting job?

I don’t know. That’s for the coaches to evaluate and they’ve done that throughout training camp, OTA’s, minicamp and it’s still an ongoing process. Like I said, I don’t think one game completely defines who I am but it is important to go out there and get a good showing.

Geno says that he is healthy, so it will come down to practice this week and the 3rd preseason game this weekend against the Giants. The starters don’t typically play in the final preseason game, so the Jets don’t will have to choose a starter soon.

Several accounts said it was a rough practice for Geno today and he threw multiple interceptions.

The best guess is if Geno Smith is healthy, he gets the start against the Giants. Rex still won’t commit to that, but it makes the most sense as Sanchez has started the first two games. We will keep you posted…

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought all along that it would be an extreme long shot for Geno to win a fair QB competition.  He just had too much to learn and adjust to coming into the NFL.  That's why I've maintained all along, it would be in the best interests of both the team and Geno not to throw him to the wolves, but wait until he was ready.  In the interim, they should start Sanchez, even though we all know there will be the inevitable screw ups.  Hopefully, Geno's head will stop swimming soon, and his learning curve will arc sharply upwards so that he will be ready by at least the Bye if not by game 7 or 8.

The best guess is if Geno Smith is healthy, he gets the start against the Giants. Rex still won’t commit to that, but it makes the most sense as Sanchez has started the first two games. We will keep you posted…

I'm not sure that's the best guess. I think if Geno starts, there must be a very strong faction behind the scenes pushing for him to be the opening day starter. The third preseason game is the final tuneup for the regular season. Usually a time for preparation, not experimentation.

Geno should've started the second game, but instead he got hurt and didn't play at all. If Sanchez is ahead at this point, they should give him the final tuneup game and reevaluate the QB situation as the season progresses.

I'd play Geno from the middle of the third quarter on this week. In the last preseason game, I'd start him and the starting OL for a half, just to give him some work and get some tape on him. They could look to replace Sanchez as soon as week three if he's completely screwing the pooch. Giving Geno a couple extra weeks to get ready will be good for him, and long forgotten by the end of the season.

I'm not sure that's the best guess. I think if Geno starts, there must be a very strong faction behind the scenes pushing for him to be the opening day starter. The third preseason game is the final tuneup for the regular season. Usually a time for preparation, not experimentation.

Geno should've started the second game, but instead he got hurt and didn't play at all. If Sanchez is ahead at this point, they should give him the final tuneup game and reevaluate the QB situation as the season progresses.

I'd play Geno from the middle of the third quarter on this week. In the last preseason game, I'd start him and the starting OL for a half, just to give him some work and get some tape on him. They could look to replace Sanchez as soon as week three if he's completely screwing the pooch. Giving Geno a couple extra weeks to get ready will be good for him, and long forgotten by the end of the season.

I agree, this is the way it should go.  I don't think it will

I think Idzik really wants Smith to start for some reason.  I think Smith gets the start on Saturday, and unless he totally packs it in, will be he starter against Tampa.

I think it's a mistake.  If Sanchez comes out in the real season, and looks like, well Sanchez, it will be easy to just yank him, and put Smith in.  Nothing lost.  If Smith starts the season and stinks IMO it will not serve him or the team well to bench him at that point

It's usually a time for tuneup, yes. But teams aren't usually in an evenly-matched QB competition heading into the 3rd preseason game. So I'd say it's more of a guideline than a rule, and even still it would be predicated on knowing for sure who your QB is going to be.

Everything is (allegedly) competition-competition-competition, and Sanchez hasn't won the competition yet. There's another game left and there would be an air of "Yeah I knew there wasn't going to be any real competition there; Rex is going to pick the boy he's made a thousand unjustified excuses for over the past 4+ years."

There are 2 pre-season games left. IMO it's a crock if Sanchez starts the 3rd game after Geno was kept out of game 2 (despite what I'm sure was a desire that he started no matter what went down in practices or with his ankle).

They gave Sanchez one freebie already by doing that, against a decidedly weak opponent, and he fell on his face other than 1 drive (a drive that was greatly augmented by a PI call that, while legitimate, was never going to be completed in the absence of the defender interfering). After that, he was his old garbage self again.

That Sanchez thinks he's doing so well is as much of an indictment as any. What a useless sack of sh*t of a QB he is. I know in my head it's better for Geno to sit for at LEAST the first 2 games, but Sanchez can't be handed the job for the 5th year in a row when there are still 2 weeks left in the pre-season and he really hasn't yet separated himself from the seemingly-unready competition.

Hate to say it but so far the best-looking QBs (in the pre-season games) have been the guys duking it out for the 3rd string job.

All I read for the entirety of camp with regards to Simms is how strong of an arm he has but that he's wildly inaccurate. He was sticking every pass right on the money, I mean dead-on perfect, in that last game. Yes it was only 5 passes, and after Sanchez's first 5 attempts he looked just as good so we don't know what would have followed.

But live action is live action and even if the coverage was bad and the defense was weak, I'm still more concerned with how accurate the pass was. To be fair, just because he was accurate on guys wide open doesn't mean he would have thrown it just as well when he sees tighter overall coverage, but I can't hold that against him. He was given a task and for the task given he got a perfect score.

Whatever, it's good to know that if the job is Geno's entering next year and we don't take a QB early, that he at least might be a viable option as a #2 if Geno gets hurt for a period of time. An option where all the plays designed for deeper than 7 yards don't need to be eradicated from the play book.

Whatever, it's good to know that if the job is Geno's entering next year and we don't take a QB early, that he at least might be a viable option as a #2 if Geno gets hurt for a period of time. An option where all the plays designed for deeper than 7 yards don't need to be eradicated from the play book.

Wow. You think Simms has beaten out McElroy? I'd like to see it, but I don't know that it's happened, yet.

And next year is a long way off, but already I think they're going to need to bring in a veteran regardless of what happens with Geno.

Wow. You think Simms has beaten out McElroy? I'd like to see it, but I don't know that it's happened, yet.

And next year is a long way off, but already I think they're going to need to bring in a veteran regardless of what happens with Geno.

I missed the 5/5 game from Simms, but for all that I've read he has "NFL arm talent" which may be enough for him to separate himself from McElroy. Not sure.

I'm hoping by this time next year we aren't even talking about who the #3 QB is, because options 1 and 2 are GOOD for a change.

Totally agree too, next year should be Geno, a veteran and either Simms/McElroy or a newly drafted QB. 

I was thinking more along the lines of if he wins the job (and if this wasn't just 5 fluke passes darted in there on the money). I see how my post reads otherwise.

No, Simms has not even won the #3 job or a roster spot this year yet, let alone the #2 job next year.

IMO if Geno shows anything above a pulse Idzik will push hard for him to be the starter week1. 

Sanchez, while looking better than he did at this time last year is not long for the starting job. It is just a matter of when Geno takes over, falls on his face and then we go and look for another QB next year.

I missed the 5/5 game from Simms, but for all that I've read he has "NFL arm talent" which may be enough for him to separate himself from McElroy. Not sure.

I'm hoping by this time next year we aren't even talking about who the #3 QB is, because options 1 and 2 are GOOD for a change.

Totally agree too, next year should be Geno, a veteran and either Simms/McElroy or a newly drafted QB. 

I agree.  I couldn't believe it, but the game was actually on the NFL network and I got to watch the first 3 Qtrs. until they cut over to the Denver-Seattle game, so I didn't get to see Sims.

I hope that, if Mark is out best chance right now, we let him play. I don't believe in the general manager telling the coach how to play his team. We had this issue last year and everyone wanted to mutiny. I hope the new boss doesn't get into this sort of micromanagement because it will kill whatever cohesion gets going. If Idzik has a different philosophy then bring in a guy that is aligned with your mentality that you can trust.

This article is just depressing. Everyone said that Sanchez played well against the Jaguars. I don't think so. What I saw was the same old, hold-the-ball-for-four-to-five-seconds-in-the-pocket, miss-wide-open-receivers, throw-into-triple-coverage Sanchez that we have seen over the past two seasons. The sad thing is, he has to start at this point. Geno Smith has tremendous potential, but if you throw him in there now, he will play as what he is, and that's a rookie.

This season, I think the Jets D will keep most games close enough perhaps to be respectable, but the offense will continue to be a joke so long as Sanchez is starting.

On a brighter note, however (and I know this is still preseason), the Jets O-line played better than I thought it would against the Jags.

Again, if the Jets go 6-10 this season and Geno Smith (who I think will start after 3 games because, let's face it, Sanchez won't be getting any better) shows promise of being a solid starter in his second season, I will actually be thrilled.

It's a tough spot.

From what we've seen so far from Geno, it doesn't look like he's ready to start.

I can't decide where I sit, because my wanting him to start probably comes more from never wanting to see Sanchez play again.  If Garrard was healthy, I'd really think that he would be the best option for the beginning of the season.

agreed and that's on Idzik. 

I've had this reset button in my signature for a long time, so overall, you and I are going to disagree here as I'm happy about this rebuild.  1st, I don't see how Idzik could have known he was going to retire as Garrad passed his physical and 2nd, I don't blame him for bargain bucket shopping.  I don't think this team is a contender this year no matter what QB they brought in and truth is, we essentially have a one year rental in Sanchez on the team.  He makes a ton of money, but barring a miracle turnaround, he's a placeholder for Geno in 2014 (unless Geno starts earlier and is terrible).

I think Idzik is doing the right thing by investing ONLY in youth this year, tying up no future money for when this team is ready to make a move.  Idzik is slave to three things: the roster he inherited, the contracts he inherited, and the market of available quarterbacks (and other players).  None of these things are good at all.  So, while I'm disappointed that I'll be watching Sanchez again, I'm glad, at least, that we're not extending players we don't want to chase a title this year.  That's the kind of thinking that has you locked in to one of the leagues worst QB's as one of the leagues highest paid in order to clear up more space for 1 more shot.  And still, we won 6 games.

Patience is hard, but patience + bad season seems better than impatience + bad season.  Now, if next offseason looks like this one, then I'll be on your side.  But, I really believe all of these moves are to set up for next year.

...I can't decide where I sit, because my wanting him to start probably comes more from never wanting to see Sanchez play again...

I agree 1000%. I just don't want this season to be one big eulogy for Rex Ryan's once franchise QB. I think Geno should start game 4. That's more than enough time for Sanchez to put the final nail in the coffin of his career. Let Marty tell Geno "no pressure kid, just go out there and play, and we'll go over what you did wrong after the game."

I don't see how Idzik could have known he was going to retire as Garrad passed his physical 

oh i don't know maybe the fact that he hasn't played in a regular season NFL game since 2010? and it's 2013 now? 

if Tanny  had signed Garrard you'd have his balls on a skewer. Idzik does it and it's all "hey man nice shot" 

oh i don't know maybe the fact that he hasn't played in a regular season NFL game since 2010? and it's 2013 now? 

if Tanny  had signed Garrard you'd have his balls on a skewer. Idzik does it and it's all "hey man nice shot" 

Which other veteran QB could they have signed? Hasselbeck's the only guy that would have made sense.

Which other veteran QB could they have signed? Hasselbeck's the only guy that would have made sense.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is slated to make 1.5M in 2013 and could easily start in Tennessee over Locker. 

btw if I were Idzik i'd be on the phone right now trying to pry Nick Foles out of Philadelphia. It might seem like a trader mike type of move but he can start in this league and already knows Marty's offense. 

I think my killing of Tanny has been on larger, more justified issues.  And, in post-hoc analysis, perhaps I would, because it would have looked like Tanny again had not interest in upgrading the position.  Though, had he also drafted Geno, perhaps not.  But, Idzik drafted Geno and has no ties to Sanchez, so the difference is significant.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is slated to make 1.5M in 2013 and could easily start in Tennessee over Locker. 

btw if I were Idzik i'd be on the phone right now trying to pry Nick Foles out of Philadelphia. It might seem like a trader mike type of move but he can start in this league and already knows Marty's offense. 

That would mean you're already giving up on Geno as a prospect.  Not as a Day 1 starter.  Foles is not a one year fix.

No GM was coming into this situation and making us a contender, regardless of platitudes about "retooling not rebuilding".

Nick Foles? What has he shown at any point? Idzik's stock is in Geno and that's who is going to get the chance when Sanchez inevitably stumbles.

No GM was coming into this situation and making us a contender, regardless of platitudes about "retooling not rebuilding".

That can be true and Garrard can still be a dumb signing. I understand why he did it, with all the other local guys they signed (Goodson, Colon, Garay etc). But there were many other better options. 

Archived