Sanchez And Smith: Last Round

JetNation

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Fitzpatrick.

lol

This is what I think happened exactly:

Jets were locked into Sanchez this season. Idzik made an early attempt to put some actual competition in there prior to the draft (not knowing if he'd end up with a QB). That competition was Garrard. But either way the Jets were f*cked because neither is taking them to the SB in 2013 or any other year. It was another warm body, but one that was not named Tebow or Brunell (who hadn't taken a real snap - let alone sat atop a QB depth chart - for longer than Garrard).

A few weeks later we have the draft.

Jets have Geno Smith ranked very high, but not as highly as the 2 guys they took.

He considers trading down from #13, and maybe taking Geno (or Richardson if he's still there) with a slightly later pick and grabbing an extra pick in the process. The compensation to trade down isn't enough to pass up on the #4 guy on his draft board at pick #13. Maybe throw in there that he doesn't want Geno Smith to be "the Revis pick" for obvious reasons. So he takes Richardson and the draft goes on.

Round 1 is coming to a close and Idzik is looking at the #39 pick coming up soon but one of his top 5-8 players in the whole draft - a QB he almost pulled the trigger on at #13 - is still on the board. He contemplates trading up, but figures the compensation would be too great and remembers he's in his first year of a team with 20 holes to fill. He holds onto his draft picks and day 1 ends with Smith still on the board.

Day 2 begins and Smith is there. A pick goes by. Two picks go by. He's getting close to pulling the trigger because he can't believe his luck and doesn't want his new franchise to have a Favre-repeat. He gambles it (perhaps hearing rumors that others aren't going to take him) and the gamble pays off. His guy is still there and he didn't have to move up.

In Idzik's mind, he got 2 of the top 4 players on his board, and 3 of his top 5-8 (or 10-ish at least). And he didn't have to trade up to do it, and didn't have to slap Smith with being simplistically referred to as the guy they traded Revis for (which the media certainly would have done).

I don't think it's a guarantee that he was going to take a QB, but I do think it's likely he would have. Had their been a run on these mediocre QB prospects, which does happen sometimes, and the top 5-6 guys were all off the board by our #39 pick (or by our 3rd round pick) I don't know if he would have reached for one or not. After that, if he did take a QB it wouldn't have been anyone more noteworthy than when we took Bollinger or Ainge: guys drafted with the hope they could someday be the team's long-term #2 QB.

There was no way he was sinking $3M/year, give or take, for a Hasselbeck or Fitzpatrick, though I think the former would have been a good move. Other than the acquisition of guys he saw as potential long-term (3+ years) players, like his 2 new RBs who weren't that pricey really, I think he was investing jack squat in the 2013 Jets. He took this job even though the first year was going to be horrible because he knew he'd get a mulligan for the mess he walked into. Next year is when he has to stand on his own 2 feet and shoulder some responsibility for the team, and he wants all the resources available to him when that time comes. So there is no way he's burning 2014 draft picks on a patch for 2013, whether it's in the form of draft picks or the freedom to shop for anyone he wants. Even still, it pays for a GM to see what he can get out of cheaper players already on the team, since it gives him that much more to spread around to other positions.

So I actually don't think he was locked into taking a serious QB prospect. This team needs starters and if faced with (who he saw as a) starter in round 3 or 4 vs a career backup QB in rounds 3-4, he'd go with the starter. After that, who knows. They may have taken a QB but if they did it would have been because that was the top guy on their board not specifically because it was the best QB on their board.

Ryan Fitzpatrick.

lol

Jets were locked into Sanchez this season. Idzik made an early attempt to put some actual competition in there prior to the draft (not knowing if he'd end up with a QB). That competition was Garrard. But either way the Jets were f*cked because neither is taking them to the SB in 2013 or any other year. It was another warm body, but one that was not named Tebow or Brunell (who hadn't taken a real snap - let alone sat atop a QB depth chart - for longer than Garrard).

A few weeks later we have the draft.

Jets have Geno Smith ranked very high, but not as highly as the 2 guys they took.

He considers trading down from #13, and maybe taking Geno (or Richardson if he's still there) with a slightly later pick and grabbing an extra pick in the process. The compensation to trade down isn't enough to pass up on the #4 guy on his draft board at pick #13. Maybe throw in there that he doesn't want Geno Smith to be "the Revis pick" for obvious reasons. So he takes Richardson and the draft goes on.

Round 1 is coming to a close and Idzik is looking at the #39 pick coming up soon but one of his top 5-8 players in the whole draft - a QB he almost pulled the trigger on at #13 - is still on the board. He contemplates trading up, but figures the compensation would be too great and remembers he's in his first year of a team with 20 holes to fill. He holds onto his draft picks and day 1 ends with Smith still on the board.

Day 2 begins and Smith is there. A pick goes by. Two picks go by. He's getting close to pulling the trigger because he can't believe his luck and doesn't want his new franchise to have a Favre-repeat. He gambles it (perhaps hearing rumors that others aren't going to take him) and the gamble pays off. His guy is still there and he didn't have to move up.

In Idzik's mind, he got 2 of the top 4 players on his board, and 3 of his top 5-8 (or 10-ish at least). And he didn't have to trade up to do it, and didn't have to slap Smith with being simplistically referred to as the guy they traded Revis for (which the media certainly would have done).

I don't think it's a guarantee that he was going to take a QB, but I do think it's likely he would have. Had their been a run on these mediocre QB prospects, which does happen sometimes, and the top 5-6 guys were all off the board by our #39 pick (or by our 3rd round pick) I don't know if he would have reached for one or not. After that, if he did take a QB it wouldn't have been anyone more noteworthy than when we took Bollinger or Ainge: guys drafted with the hope they could someday be the team's long-term #2 QB.

There was no way he was sinking $3M/year, give or take, for a Hasselbeck or Fitzpatrick, though I think the former would have been a good move. Other than the acquisition of guys he saw as potential long-term (3+ years) players, like his 2 new RBs who weren't that pricey really, I think he was investing jack squat in the 2013 Jets. He took this job even though the first year was going to be horrible because he knew he'd get a mulligan for the mess he walked into. Next year is when he has to stand on his own 2 feet and shoulder some responsibility for the team, and he wants all the resources available to him when that time comes. So there is no way he's burning 2014 draft picks on a patch for 2013, whether it's in the form of draft picks or the freedom to shop for anyone he wants. Even still, it pays for a GM to see what he can get out of cheaper players already on the team, since it gives him that much more to spread around to other positions.

So I actually don't think he was locked into taking a serious QB prospect. This team needs starters and if faced with (who he saw as a) starter in round 3 or 4 vs a career backup QB in rounds 3-4, he'd go with the starter. After that, who knows. They may have taken a QB but if they did it would have been because that was the top guy on their board not specifically because it was the best QB on their board.

Excellent post!

What are you basing this on, exactly?

If he had no intention of drafting a QB, then his plan at the position was -what?- Sanchez and Garrard in 2013? Reset in 2014? Maybe I just base it on the alternative being a terrible plan. Lol. Can you imagine what the press would be doing now if the only QBs in camp were Sanchez, McElroy, and Simms?

No, He seems pretty intent on unseating Sanchez. I don't believe he decided on that after he drafted Geno. I suspect that was his intention all along. Unless there was a run on QBs like Sperm suggested as a possibility, I feel pretty good about Idzik taking one in the second or third round whether Geno is there or not.

Lets see how badly Geno craps the bed when he's playing a live game before declaring him the savior of the franchise.  There has to be a reason (aside from blind loyalty and bad tattoos) that has Rex Ryan continuing to clamor for Sanchez. 

Where is Rex continuing to clamor?

If he had no intention of drafting a QB, then his plan at the position was -what?- Sanchez and Garrard in 2013? Reset in 2014? Maybe I just base it on the alternative being a terrible plan. Lol. Can you imagine what the press would be doing now if the only QBs in camp were Sanchez, McElroy, and Simms?

No, He seems pretty intent on unseating Sanchez. I don't believe he decided on that after he drafted Geno. I suspect that was his intention all along. Unless there was a run on QBs like Sperm suggested as a possibility, I feel pretty good about Idzik taking one in the second or third round whether Geno is there or not.

1. You're making the assumption that Idzik cares what the fans think.

2. You're taking Mehta's position at face value that Idzik is desperate to see Geno start.

3. You're assuming that Idzik--the secretive Idzik--has a transparent plan that we're privy to, and that his plan includes finding his quarterback immediately.

2. You're taking Mehta's position at face value that Idzik is desperate to see Geno start.

3. You're assuming that Idzik--the secretive Idzik--has a transparent plan that we're privy to, and that his plan includes finding his quarterback immediately.

1. I'm making the assumption that QB is the most important position on the team, and the most critical element to Idzik's long term survival as an NFL GM. If his plan at QB -even in a rebuilding year- was Sanchez and Garrard, you have to question the man's competency.

2. If reports that Geno will start the third preseason game are true, that position would seem to have some legs. Either that, or Rex doesn't love Sanchez, after all. Which is it? I tend to think its a lot of the former, and a little bit of the latter.

3. We do have hard evidence that Idzik would draft a QB in the form of the fact that he actually drafted a QB. You can disagree, but I don't think he would've gotten past the third round without taking one, unless there had been a serious run on them. It's not necessarily about getting your QB this year, but rather at least having a chance of finding the most important piece of the team this year.

The handling of the QB position is the primary reason his predecessor was fired. He knows that, too. I can't imagine that he would completely punt fixing the QB spot until 2014. By taking a QB in the second or third round, he at least gives himself an option.

This is like saying that a crucial part of Idzik's plan was to draft a guard in the third round.

Yes, exactly. I can never decide which is more critical to a team's success, the QB or guard. I'm sure that philosophical issue keeps Idzik up at night, too.

He considers trading down from #13, and maybe taking Geno (or Richardson if he's still there) with a slightly later pick and grabbing an extra pick in the process. The compensation to trade down isn't enough to pass up on the #4 guy on his draft board at pick #13. So he takes Richardson and the draft goes on.

Round 1 is coming to a close and Idzik is looking at the #39 pick coming up soon but one of his top 5-8 players in the whole draft - a QB he almost pulled the trigger on at #13 - is still on the board. He contemplates trading up, the compensation would be too great

In Idzik's mind, he got 2 of the top 4 players on his board, and 3 of his top 5-8 (or 10-ish at least). And he didn't have to trade up to do it

great stuff!

... some of the concern about what the fans think or over geno going in the revis spot i dont think mattered to him ... but what you say above i wholeheartedly agree with!

1. I'm making the assumption that QB is the most important position on the team, and the most critical element to Idzik's long term survival as an NFL GM. If his plan at QB -even in a rebuilding year- was Sanchez and Garrard, you have to question the man's competency.

2. If reports that Geno will start the third preseason game are true, that position would seem to have some legs. Either that, or Rex doesn't love Sanchez, after all. Which is it? I tend to think its a lot of the former, and a little bit of the latter.

3. We do have hard evidence that Idzik would draft a QB in the form of the fact that he actually drafted a QB. You can disagree, but I don't think he would've gotten past the third round without taking one, unless there had been a serious run on them. It's not necessarily about getting your QB this year, but rather at least having a chance of finding the most important piece of the team this year.

The handling of the QB position is the primary reason his predecessor was fired. He knows that, too. I can't imagine that he would completely punt fixing the QB spot until 2014. By taking a QB in the second or third round, he at least gives himself an option.

I don't know, man.  I really think that Geno was just too much value on his draft board to pass up.

If he was that hell-bent on getting a QB this year, everyone can see that he could have found enough wiggle room for a Hasselbeck and he also could have taken Geno at #13 instead of using a first round pick on its 3rd DT prospect in 3 years.

I really think it was all about draft board value for him, for better or for worse.  He's staring at his #39 pick and has the opportunity to draft one of his top 10 picks (possibly one of his top 5, as he admits he considered pulling the trigger on him over Richardson, who was allegedly their #4 overall prospect).

Would he have taken Nassib in round 3 if Geno was gone? Possibly.  What if there was a run on meh QB prospects after the Richardson pic? I mean Geno, Manuel, Nassib, and Barkley.  Would he have taken Glennon in round 2? Landry Jones in round 3? Given that he already was locked into Sanchez contractually, and passed up on the draft's top QB prospect - arguably 5-10 picks after he was initially expected to go - at #13, it doesn't seem likely.  Not unless he & the scouts had given Glennon a 2nd round grade or Jones a 3rd round grade.  

In other words, his actions suggest he was going to stick with his draft board until he reached a point where 15-20 guys had roughly equal ranking and then he may have said what the hell let's just take a QB already.  But that might have been as late as rounds 5-6 and by then who cares if he drafts a QB because he's (statistically speaking) drafting a guy to be a backup QB.

Mark talked about that interception and said, “To put it either a little more in front of Kellen (Winslow) or wait for the next guy. So, we’ll eliminate that mistake and move forward. I was proud that we moved the ball down the field really well. I thought we ran the ball really well all night and gave ourselves chances in the red zone.”

yeah Mark, just like Ziggy Ansuh "jumped out of the gym" to get that pick six you threw RIGHT TO HIM. Sanchez cannot and will NOT 'correct' or eliminate that mistake. It is in his DNA forever. It is WHO HE IS.

I don't know, man.  I really think that Geno was just too much value on his draft board to pass up.

If he was that hell-bent on getting a QB this year, everyone can see that he could have found enough wiggle room for a Hasselbeck and he also could have taken Geno at #13 instead of using a first round pick on its 3rd DT prospect in 3 years.

I really think it was all about draft board value for him, for better or for worse.  He's staring at his #39 pick and has the opportunity to draft one of his top 10 picks (possibly one of his top 5, as he admits he considered pulling the trigger on him over Richardson, who was allegedly their #4 overall prospect).

Would he have taken Nassib in round 3 if Geno was gone? Possibly.  What if there was a run on meh QB prospects after the Richardson pic? I mean Geno, Manuel, Nassib, and Barkley.  Would he have taken Glennon in round 2? Landry Jones in round 3? Given that he already was locked into Sanchez contractually, and passed up on the draft's top QB prospect - arguably 5-10 picks after he was initially expected to go - at #13, it doesn't seem likely.  Not unless he & the scouts had given Glennon a 2nd round grade or Jones a 3rd round grade.  

In other words, his actions suggest he was going to stick with his draft board until he reached a point where 15-20 guys had roughly equal ranking and then he may have said what the hell let's just take a QB already.  But that might have been as late as rounds 5-6 and by then who cares if he drafts a QB because he's (statistically speaking) drafting a guy to be a backup QB.

I agree Sperm. Geno was considered a top-10 talent that Idzik plucked at 39. Mr T would have jumped out of Radio city Music Hall with the 13th pick and gotten lambasted for it. Geno may have what it takes to be a starting QB, but we won't know unless he plays. Sancho must go.

I said, unless there was an unexpected run.

But all the actions of the team since the draft suggest that the rookie QB is an important component to them this year, with some pressure coming from somewhere *coughIdzikcough* to get Geno into the starting lineup ASAP. And not because he's better, but either because they drafted him, or they also want anyone in there who's simply not Sanchez. If he was just a value pick, I don't think there'd be that pressure to get him onto the field -quite possibly- before he's ready.

And those actions make me believe that the plan at QB going into the draft extended beyond Sanchez and Garrard.

I agree Sperm. Geno was considered a top-10 talent that Idzik plucked at 39. Mr T would have jumped out of Radio city Music Hall with the 13th pick and gotten lambasted for it. Geno may have what it takes to be a starting QB, but we won't know unless he plays. Sancho must go.

Wow you have a high opinion of Tannenbaum.  Had it been his predecessor who was responsible for Sanchez - have to throw that in there - I think it would have been a little different:

Mr. T would have traded up from #9 to grab Geno Smith at #3, and in doing so would have also given up our 2nd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year.  

Our next pick would have been in round 3 because he also would have kept Revis for $16M/year (meaning we wouldn't have had Tampa's #13 pick).

Wow you have a high opinion of Tannenbaum.  Had it been his predecessor who was responsible for Sanchez - have to throw that in there - I think it would have been a little different:

Mr. T would have traded up from #9 to grab Geno Smith at #3, and in doing so would have also given up our 2nd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year.  

Our next pick would have been in round 3 because he also would have kept Revis for $16M/year (meaning we wouldn't have had Tampa's #13 pick).

Amen to that!  Tanny will NEVER hold another job in the NFL as a GM.  He is a clueless tool.  On more than one occasion I wanted to drive to NJ and knock his head off, and I'm not a violent person.

But all the actions of the team since the draft suggest that the rookie QB is an important component to them this year, with some pressure coming from somewhere *coughIdzikcough* to get Geno into the starting lineup ASAP. And not because he's better, but either because they drafted him, or they also want anyone in there who's simply not Sanchez. If he was just a value pick, I don't think there'd be that pressure to get him onto the field -quite possibly- before he's ready.

And those actions make me believe that the plan at QB going into the draft extended beyond Sanchez and Garrard.

Well it's an important component to them this year because they drafted a QB they had projected as a top-10 overall talent.  If the QB they drafted was Landry Jones in round 5, I don't think you'd see these "actions of the team," and Sanchez would just be the QB.

Or who knows? Maybe Garrard wouldn't have retired early.  It's never been discussed, but for all we know Garrard may have made up his mind to say "f*ck this" the moment we drafted Geno Smith.  It's one thing for the only other option to be Sanchez, which is no pressure at all.  It's another thing entirely to read the media clamoring for Geno Smith and his golden arm after every and any sub-par performance Garrard has all season long.

Not saying that happened with Garrard, but it is far from impossible despite no one bringing it up. 

1.  No we're not.  Idzik isn't an idiot.  He knows how much Sanchez sucks.  He doesn't need Mehta or the fans to tell him that.  He knows that he will be retained or fired based on what he does with the QB position of the Jets.  It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that he needed to start drafting QBs.

2. Screw Mehta, aren't YOU desperate to see Geno start and never see Sanchez on the field again for the Jets?  I am.  In spite of that I'm willing to wait until Geno is ready,  Hopefully, Idzik is no idiot and is not going to rush Geno out there just for change's sake or because he is afraid of the fans.  He has done nothing to suggest that he isn't willing to be patient.  He didn't go all in for this year.  He's being smart and saving his assets (draft picks and cap space for next season).  At the same time, he wants to get rid of the circus and SOJ attitudes.  He wants the team to be a respected professional, high quality team.  That can't happen as long as Sanchez is still playing for the Jets.  He also needs to find out whether Geno is going to be their QB of the future or if he needs to start planning to do whatever it takes to get Bridgewater, Manziel or which ever QB he thinks can be their QB of the future.

3.  Again, I disagree.  It's not exactly a state secret that the Jets need to find a new starting QB and that Sanchez sucks.  There is and should be a sense of urgency.  The sooner he finds that guy, the sooner the team can start returning to respectability.  I'm sure that Woody didn't give him 5 years to rebuild the team, find the QB, and turn things around.  He has 2-3 years tops to become a playoff team and realistic challenger for the Lombardi Trophy.  That doesn't mean he needs to panic.  He's not trading the farm for Foles or another QB.  Because other rookie QBs have come in, started immediately and played well, I'm sure that Idzik hopes that Geno can do that.  It doesn't mean that he expects him to, or will order Rex to rush him onto the field.  It seems he is giving Geno every chance to win the starting job, but we have no evidence that he will just hand him the starting job regardless.

This.  Totally.

This could be the very reason Idzik signed Garrard rather than Hasselbeck, Campbell or Gradkowski.  Perhaps he spoke with the latter three QBs or their agents and they indicated they didn't want to come here unless they could be guaranteed a starting spot or at least an open, honest competition for the spot.  For all we know, the QB competition the Jets have had this summer may have been only a sham or pretense to keep Mark and the veterans on the team from squawking.  Maybe the intent all along was to start Geno unless he just flat out couldn't come close to being ready.

Maybe he just thought Garrard would break down and/or Sanchez and he would be easily beaten out by the QB he drafted.

If Geno were just a "surprise" value pick, there would be no reason to rush him onto the field and thus no pressure to start him.  There probably wouldn't have been a competition for the starting job except between Sanchez and Garrard.  Again, I think if there were no plans for Geno to start, Idzik probably would have signed a better/healthier QB than Garrard.  In addition, Idzik wouldn't have thought about trading up or down for him if it was just a surprise value pick.  Trading up or down for him wouldn't have even been a consideration.  I think there's a very good chance that they had targeted Smith. After all, he played against a higher level of competition than Nassib, and is a head and shoulders better prospect than Barkley.  He's used to playing in the cold, windy climate of the Northeast.  He has a strong, accurate arm.  He's intelligent.

Even if he had zero plans to draft a QB and planned to go with Sanchez and Garrard (plus either McElroy or Sims), then he was lucky, and sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  How long has it been since we've been able to say the Jets were "lucky" with regard to anything, but particularly the draft. Many people say that we create our own luck.  Either way, I can't help but feel good about Idzik at this point.  It may all go to sheit this season and next, but at least for the moment, I think things are looking up.

Well it's an important component to them this year because they drafted a QB they had projected as a top-10 overall talent.  If the QB they drafted was Landry Jones in round 5, I don't think you'd see these "actions of the team," and Sanchez would just be the QB.

Or who knows? Maybe Garrard wouldn't have retired early.  It's never been discussed, but for all we know Garrard may have made up his mind to say "f*ck this" the moment we drafted Geno Smith.  It's one thing for the only other option to be Sanchez, which is no pressure at all.  It's another thing entirely to read the media clamoring for Geno Smith and his golden arm after every and any sub-par performance Garrard has all season long.

Not saying that happened with Garrard, but it is far from impossible despite no one bringing it up. 

With regard to your bolded statement, I have a slight correction.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this when we discussed Garrard's retirement a week or two ago.  He may have said to himself something like, "Screw this.  It's clear their plan is to start Geno as soon as they can.  I'm just gonna be TC fodder for competition or at best, a stopgap for a few games until Geno's ready.  Why put myself through all this pain and pounding?  I might get hurt again and have to have more surgery.  I'll just walk away now."

Ok, perhaps he isn't banging the press podium, but having your fourth year starting quarterback play three quarters of a meaningless preseason game says to me a couple things: (1) after his flawed red-zone drive, and scoreless encore to finish the half...Rex wanted to get more "positive" tape on Sanchez so he can make the argument for him to be the starter and get the fans/team/front office behind him.  (2) He wanted him to have more time (in live action) getting familiar with the new offense. 

With regard to your bolded statement, I have a slight correction.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this when we discussed Garrard's retirement a week or two ago.  He may have said to himself something like, "Screw this.  It's clear their plan is to start Geno as soon as they can.  I'm just gonna be TC fodder for competition or at best, a stopgap for a few games until Geno's ready.  Why put myself through all this pain and pounding?  I might get hurt again and have to have more surgery.  I'll just walk away now."

OK well I didn't see it.  Or saw it and don't remember it.  Or I wanted to take credit for your idea.  

Sanchez + Gerrard + team that goes 2-14 = #1 draft pick in 2014. Johnny Football, maybe?

Archived