EVERYTHING MANISH MEHTA (MERGED)

dbatesman

This is a masterpiece. Enjoy.

If Geno Smith can stay interception free, QB will secure NY Jets starting job

Although Rex Ryan hasn’t announced a starter for the third preseason game against the Giants, the Daily News has learned that Smith will get the nod if he doesn’t suffer a setback with his ankle in the next few days.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

TUESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2013, 10:34 PM

The Jets’ farcical quarterback competition will conclude Saturday night with rookie Geno Smith needing two turnover-free quarters to secure a job that many people in the organization want him to win.

Although Rex Ryan hasn’t announced a starter for the third preseason game against the Giants, the Daily News has learned that Smith will get the nod if he doesn’t suffer a setback with his ankle in the next few days.

The Jets’ plan is simple: Start the rookie if he’s healthy.

General manager John Idzik, the CFO of Starship 7 Enterprises, won’t be handing out Smith jerseys in the MetLife Stadium parking lot, but he’ll have a clear rooting interest. Idzik’s desire for Smith to earn the starting job over incumbent Mark Sanchez, of course, makes perfect sense.

The “fair and open” competition has been a charade from Day One, complete with organizational shenanigans (including changing the rules along the way) designed to help Smith.

Coach Idzik, who undercut Ryan by oddly proclaiming at the outset of training camp that he’d have a “pretty big role” in deciding the Week 1 starting quarterback, should have just given Smith the job from the beginning.

Nobody would have blamed the Jets for putting Smith atop the depth chart this offseason. Idzik & Co. need to properly evaluate the rookie this season before determining whether the Jets need to draft a quarterback in 2014.

However, the team needlessly and unconvincingly put on a four-month show that led us to think Sanchez had just as much of a chance as Smith to be the Week 1 starter.

Smith was never truly competing against Sanchez. He was competing against time.

If the rookie proved to the team decision-makers that he was ready — regardless of Sanchez’s level of play — he would be the Week 1 starter.

It was Smith’s job to win.

Now, the competition likely comes down to the first half of Saturday night’s game. If Smith, who played only 14 snaps in the preseason opener before spraining his ankle and missing the second preseason game, impresses, he’ll be declared the winner. If Smith sputters, then the brain trust will name Sanchez the winner by default.

Ryan would benefit from Sanchez starting the season under center.

The embattled coach can always make the switch to the rookie if/when the Jets struggle. If the Jets become irrelevant by midseason, a quarterback change could energize the fanbase and help Ryan’s case to stick around beyond 2013 if his team rallies behind Smith.

If Smith wins the competition Saturday, but struggles out of the gate in the regular season, Ryan is stuck. He can’t turn back to Sanchez.

Smith doesn’t have to be dynamic against the Giants, but he’ll have to play turnover-free to have a realistic chance of beating out Sanchez, whose pair of red-zone gaffes against the Jaguars last week conjured up bad memories and emboldened the faction in the organization that wants a fresh start.

“Obviously in this league you can lose games faster than you can win them at that position,” Ryan said. “You got be able to protect the football first and foremost ... and also be able to make plays yourself.”

Ryan wouldn’t definitively say whether a winner would be declared after the third preseason game, but not even Idzik would be silly enough to let the competition bleed into the preseason finale against the Eagles. (Would Ryan trot out his offensive starters in the fourth preseason game just to see more from Sanchez and Smith? Not a chance.)

The Jets are one of three teams, along with the Bills and Raiders, yet to name a starting quarterback. Ryan rightfully isn’t concerned about that, but it would have been ideal to name a winner entering the third preseason game to give him extended reps with the starters in what is typically the final dress rehearsal before the season opener.

That was the plan all along, before the rookie rolled his ankle. The Jets altered it to the surprise of nobody.

Now, Geno Smith has his chance to end the Mark Sanchez era.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the few times I agree with Manish.

Idzik thinks he has another Russell Wilson on his hands here.

If Geno shows anything slightly above a heartbeat he is going to get the job and if he isn't the starting QB opening day against Tampa he will be by week 3.

Outside of the accusation that Idzik wasn't really going to make this an open competition from the start ,I agree with him. I think it started out a true QB competition. If Sanchez showed he was going to correct his turnover issues then he was going to be given a chance. He clearly hasn't.

Once Sanchez had that pick 6 in game 1, then cost the Jets at LEAST 6 points in the second game with dumb decisions the fix was in. They are done with this guy. Whether or not Rex wants to believe it, if Geno doesn't turn the ball over this weekend he will be starting week 1.

My new guess: the source is Sanchez's brother/manager.

Makes sense. He's basically stomping his feet and holding his breath that Sanchez isn't being given a 5th chance to prove that he's terrible.

Also:

Nobody would have blamed the Jets for putting Smith atop the depth chart this offseason.

lolwut

Just btw: what does this mean? I'm not being snarky or rhetorical. I legitimately do not understand this reference, as a joke or as a literal thing.

Star Trek plus Geno 7

At least, thats what I think

I am not entirely sure I know what he looks like.  But I am pretty sure that I was standing behind Manish at the Jets practice today.  Listening to him talk was riveting.  Dan Leberfeld and JP Pelzman were also talking louder than they probably realized as well.  Anyhow, is this Manish?  I think it is, which leads me to my next question...

Why is he wearing the red practice jersey that is usually reserved for the quarterbacks? 

Did his negative articles cause that much of a stir that the Jets PR department had to make it clear that nobody could tackle Manish?

Manish.jpg

It's mind-boggling. The two guys he's completely in the bag for are the two guys who will almost certainly be gone after this season.

If the season goes bad, Sanchez and Rex will keep Mehta on the back page all season long. Smart to curry favor going in.

WTF is this BS?

All Mehta's saying is what EVERYONE has known all along: if Smith shows that he's even close to being better than Sanchez, he'll get the starting job. So far, he has not shown this, but everyone agrees he CAN show this given a little time.

Making it sound like it's a trap set by Idzik to deviously undermine Rex is just Mehta drinking on the job.

GTFO with this garbage.

Just sent him the picture a few times on Twitter.  Asked him to confirm that his gym has no squat rack or leg press machine.  (And yes, that is the pot calling the kettle black).  Anyhow -- leave your comments for Manish here, I will send this thread to him as well.  :)

I was out when the circumstance became health rather than the two whole turnover free quarters right at the beginning of the article.

Edit: Wow, 18,000 posts. Yep. You all missed by birthday too. I hate you all.

Happy bday. Mine was Friday. I have been holding this in for days now. I feel free

Ok we did not draft Smith unless we thought he one day could be our starting QB- that is simple comprehension that a Jets writer does not understand- more like he wants to build a conspiracy theory-makes for juicy sales

Outside of the accusation that Idzik wasn't really going to make this an open competition from the start ,I agree with him. I think it started out a true QB competition. If Sanchez showed he was going to correct his turnover issues then he was going to be given a chance. He clearly hasn't.

Once Sanchez had that pick 6 in game 1, then cost the Jets at LEAST 6 points in the second game with dumb decisions the fix was in. They are done with this guy. Whether or not Rex wants to believe it, if Geno doesn't turn the ball over this weekend he will be starting week 1.

So it was a fair competition until Sanchez started making plays so bad that they  can't be forgiven? 

If a guy can't cost his team 17 points in two preseason games and keep his job, what chance do any of us have?

Ugh.  Damn it! I agree with T0m again. This is bad. 

I was out when the circumstance became health rather than the two whole turnover free quarters right at the beginning of the article. 

Edit: Wow, 18,000 posts. Yep. You all missed by birthday too. I hate you all. 

Happy bday. Mine was Friday. I have been holding this in for days now. I feel free

Happy Birthday, Bitches!

Archived