Costello: Some in organization think Captain Holmes is dogging it

T0mShane

If true, figures Holmes would be a little girl (and comparing them to Holmes is an insult to little girls).  The tool needs to realize that he may have pain the rest of his life, that it may never go away.  If he's able to run and the pain isn't significantly worse, and the doctor says that no further damage will occur running or playing then the malcontent and prima donna needs to get off his butt and on the playing field or retire.  If he wants to keep earning a big paycheck in the NFL, he needs to man up.

honestly though, that report is based on nothing. there were no quotes, anonymous or otherwise, of anyone saying anything like that. I don't LOVE Holmes, but nothing during his time here indicates to me he doesn't want to be on the field.

MJD had the same surgery last year and he is back. Holmes is a cur. Lost all respect for him after that stunt he pulled in the huddle.

So what? Everyone heals differently, and you not respecting him doesn't reflect on his desire to be on the field in any way.

It definitely was infinitely of a better deal than Sanchez, there's no question about that.  That's not really saying much though.  The main reason I have issue with the contract was not even the overall cost, but the level of guarantees.  It's not his production, but the fact that the guy was a known douche-nozzle, and you simply don't lock yourself into that long of a contract for a guy like that.  I just think that he has so much of his salary guaranteed three years into his deal is kind of crazy for a guy like that.

I think the problem was that most of the Holmes problems were the questions about potential drug use and suspensions.  I think they put plenty of language in there to protect about that stuff, but nothing to protect from being a dick in the huddle or serious injuries that he could dog recovery on. Those weren't really the question marks on Holmes. 

"an organizational source said many people around the team....."

thats just a ******* rumor !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are these douchbag "reporters" quoting each other now ?

is it just me or have things sunken to a new low this off season with the "reporting"?

I  hated that contract too, but I think Jason did a piece that showed that it was pretty much standard for a player of Holmes caliber.  He does it based on numbers, it's not like he is a guy to overrate Holmes or anything. 

It was. They may have gone slightly higher than they needed to (I had him at 8.5 mil max rather than 9) but the 3rd year salary was joke money anyway and it brought him right down around that figure.

The issue with Holmes and the Jets faults in the contract lie in not knowing the player. There are a ton of players who get the money and it completely compromises them as a player. I dont have any proof of this but my feeling is the WRs and CBs are often the two worst positions for this.  Going far beyond numbers and expectations the Jets had Holmes here for a full season and should have had a better idea that the money was going to go to his head. Instead they made him captain which just swelled his head more. Im sure its happened plenty of times before but I cant recall with the Jets a player getting into a fight in the huddle with his teammates. Sidelines sure, but on the field?  His own teammates did not even want to play with him. The fumble on his injury was ridiculous as well. That was a diva move. Leon Washington has his bone come through his skin and he holds onto a football. Santonio gets hurt and throws the ball to the other team?  Its just a mindset in the NFL. Players dont do that no matter how hurt.  Jets should have had a better idea this was going to happen with him. 

"an organizational source said many people around the team....."

thats just a ******* rumor !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are these douchbag "reporters" quoting each other now ?

is it just me or have things sunken to a new low this off season with the "reporting"?

It's not just you.  The gates have been kicked in, the barbarians are here and have overrun Rome.

I don't consider Holmes a part of this team anymore.  I also don't think he makes us better.  All he does is take opportunities from guys who will be here next year.  I personally was happy he got hurt and hope he never plays another down with the Jets!!

It was. They may have gone slightly higher than they needed to (I had him at 8.5 mil max rather than 9) but the 3rd year salary was joke money anyway and it brought him right down around that figure.

The issue with Holmes and the Jets faults in the contract lie in not knowing the player. There are a ton of players who get the money and it completely compromises them as a player. I dont have any proof of this but my feeling is the WRs and CBs are often the two worst positions for this. Going far beyond numbers and expectations the Jets had Holmes here for a full season and should have had a better idea that the money was going to go to his head. Instead they made him captain which just swelled his head more. Im sure its happened plenty of times before but I cant recall with the Jets a player getting into a fight in the huddle with his teammates. Sidelines sure, but on the field? His own teammates did not even want to play with him. The fumble on his injury was ridiculous as well. That was a diva move. Leon Washington has his bone come through his skin and he holds onto a football. Santonio gets hurt and throws the ball to the other team? Its just a mindset in the NFL. Players dont do that no matter how hurt. Jets should have had a better idea this was going to happen with him.

Big picture, Tannenbaum can at least point to picking up Cromartie under the same circumstances and having that be a success. Holmes is just a terrible, terrible person, though. It's hard to fathom how difficult it is to get thrown out of Pittsburgh for character issues. When it's all said and done, history will point to Sanchez as the major factor in why Rex failed, but its really Holmes who came in and exposed Rex as a bad and weak leader of men.

Big picture, Tannenbaum can at least point to picking up Cromartie under the same circumstances and having that be a success. Holmes is just a terrible, terrible person, though. It's hard to fathom how difficult it is to get thrown out of Pittsburgh for character issues. When it's all said and done, history will point to Sanchez as the major factor in why Rex failed, but its really Holmes who came in and exposed Rex as a bad and weak leader of men.

That last sentence is the most spot on accurate story of where Rex went wrong,..too bad our beat writers aren't writing stories about real true situations like Holmes role in Rex demise but their too busy trying to keep the "circus" in town with TMZ articles and being stand up comics on Twitter

So what? Everyone heals differently, and you not respecting him doesn't reflect on his desire to be on the field in any way.

I was thrilled when the Jets signed this guy but not anymore. I understand you may be a fan of his but in case you forgot or are not  aware of how he quit on his team here is a reminder.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7411183/source-captain-santonio-holmes-quit-new-york-jets-loss

Yes, but you used to sprinkle in more football talk. You like 50/50 snark and good football talk.

Now you're like 85% snark. That's a whole lot of snark.

There have been a handful of tremendous torch bearers carrying the Anti-Sanchez consensus in the offseason, leaving room for most of us to sit back and pick spots to participate on. Perhaps when the season starts, the majority of the board will be ready to laugh again.

I was thrilled when the Jets signed this guy but not anymore. I understand you may be a fan of his but in case you forgot or are not aware of how he quit on his team here is a reminder.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7411183/source-captain-santonio-holmes-quit-new-york-jets-loss

really? Cimini? who had every reason to blow that story out of proportion? and actually, I'm not a huge fan, I just don't hate him for an incident that can also be spun as how he wants to be thrown balls he can actually catch and help the team win.

And Schottenheimer benched him, he didn't just refuse to play.

Either way, none of that proves he doesn't want to be back on the field.

Everyman has his breaking point.  Holmes snapped the year of the dolphins game collapse.  As much as we dislike sanchez, imagine how holmes feels?  He relies on sanchez for his paycheck, he cant do ANYTHING for this team without the ball in his hands.

In holmes defense, he hasnt been a problem since the dolphins game. The man lost how many millions this year when his contract was reworked(read paycut) and he said what? Something to the effect of it being part of being a team player etc.  True we, as fans, are pretty sure he had no choice BUT he took it and didnt bitch.

Also, I have heard about all the charity things he does and he seems to be a pretty good guy as far as being generous with his time and money.

We dont know much about this guy except that he has been pushed to the brink by playing with sanchez and he is a bit of an ego maniac/diva.  so was keyshawn but he had vinny throwing him passes...

really? Cimini? who had every reason to blow that story out of proportion? and actually, I'm not a huge fan, I just don't hate him for an incident that can also be spun as how he wants to be thrown balls he can actually catch and help the team win.

And Schottenheimer benched him, he didn't just refuse to play.

Either way, none of that none of that proves he doesn't want to be back on the field.

Ninja'd

There are only a handful of people who think Sanchez is a sucky QB.  I got that part but didn't understand after that.

I think he's saying it's hilarious how awful Sanchez is and we should all enjoy laughing at his terrible playing of the quarterback position.

That's the only interpretation I can come up with that would make any sense.

Holmes was the person that really destroyed the team. Hard to imagine saying that about 1 guy buy you are right. He blew up that entire locker room and Rex had no control over any of it. Im sure Rex will learn from it but Holmes tore that team to shreds. 

Holmes was the person that really destroyed the team. Hard to imagine saying that about 1 guy buy you are right. He blew up that entire locker room and Rex had no control over any of it. Im sure Rex will learn from it but Holmes tore that team to shreds. 

Was he tearing the team to shreds when he was winning games for the team in 2010?  Or was he tearing the team to shreds when they were 8-5 in 2011 and destined for the playoffs for the 3rd straight season before Sanchez became the biggest liability in the NFL?

Just want to know when the Holmes single handed destruction of a franchise started for reference purposes. 

Archived