Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really liked how Matt Simms came in there and lead a drive right down the field. Finally heard from Cumberland and Salas. Even David Nelson got thrown to in the later drives. He was forcing it with that near pick. there was a nice tempo. They shouldve brought him out at halftime.

Simms moved the ball and offense looked alive.

BUT, BUT,BUT!! the bills were in their prevent. any other time simms played was againt walmart workers!!! even tho he plays great, it just doesn't count. geno is much, much better.your eyes are deceiving you. your eyes should tell you that geno is better. even with his 20+ turnovers and his quarterback rating of 10

Geno will start next week, and he should. How he responds to an outing like the one he had yesterday is part of the overall evaluation of the player. They should, however, give Simms extra reps in practice, and be ready with the hook a little sooner. And if Geno continues to regress, then you maybe give Simms a start or two at the end of the year - once team Idzik has already made the determination that QB will again be a priority in the upcoming offseason. Until then, you keep trotting Geno out there.

Geno will start next week, and he should. How he responds to an outing like the one he had yesterday is part of the overall evaluation of the player. They should, however, give Simms extra reps in practice, and be ready with the hook a little sooner. And if Geno continues to regress, then you maybe give Simms a start or two at the end of the year - once team Idzik has already made the determination that QB will again be a priority in the upcoming offseason. Until then, you keep trotting Geno out there.

Rex needed to make the switch after the INT at 20-7, or maybe it was 27-7, the only reason I can see why he didn't was because the drive previous to that was Geno's TD drive. Rex needs to learn to be a cold hearted bitch on game days, he can still be the players coach during the week, but during the game all that sh*t needs to go out the window.

Rex needed to make the switch after the INT at 20-7, or maybe it was 27-7, the only reason I can see why he didn't was because the drive previous to that was Geno's TD drive. Rex needs to learn to be a cold hearted bitch on game days, he can still be the players coach during the week, but during the game all that sh*t needs to go out the window.

Are you trying to win the game or develop a QB?  

The one thing Shane and the Ilk were correct about was that the GM had to be careful not to treat Rex as a lame duck that would go all out to win at to keep his job at the expense of the future.  I don't believe in rebuilding, but it was pretty obvious from at least as far back as mid-season 2012 that 2013 was not going to be our season.  We are supposed to be competing and preparing for our next run.  Destroying Geno is not a smart plan.

Some QBs cannot be developed. We thought he learned to just throw the ball away when being pressured and no one is open, but he comes back and proves otherwise.  He gets rattled by the pass rush - you cannot teach someone how to be cool in the pocket.  Rookie mistakes are acceptable if they are about reading a defense.  Geno c

Geno consistently underthrows his targets.  Sanchez showed more positives his rookie year and look how he turned out.  I'll give Geno three more weeks to show improvement (the Ravens s/b another nightmare) if he does not, you see what Simms has for the last three games.

start matt simms

+1

/eats crow

At some point you have to, Geno has single handedly lost too many games - and whether or not we stay in playoff contention or not, you've got to see what you have in Simms. Can't go into the off-season with questions about what to do at QB. Need to know if we gotta sign one, or draft one, or both. 

I can't believe we went from one pick-6 machine to another. Over the span of 3 offensive coordinators.

John Elway was benched in his rookie year and learned a lot from it. He's a hall of fame player. If he can be benched, so can Geno Smith. Granted, we do not have DeBerg to put in (not that he was great) but watching the same movie every week expecting a different result is the definition of lunacy.

Geno needs to see a game or 2 on the bench. It would have been smart of the Jets to dress Garrard. He's not the savior but how do you know if he's worth having if you can't put him in during a blowout like yesterday.

I know Simms did well in garbage time with soft coverage but at least he scans the whole field. I'd give him a shot.

John Elway was benched in his rookie year and learned a lot from it. He's a hall of fame player. If he can be benched, so can Geno Smith. Granted, we do not have DeBerg to put in (not that he was great) but watching the same movie every week expecting a different result is the definition of lunacy.

Geno needs to see a game or 2 on the bench. It would have been smart of the Jets to dress Garrard. He's not the savior but how do you know if he's worth having if you can't put him in during a blowout like yesterday.

I know Simms did well in garbage time with soft coverage but at least he scans the whole field. I'd give him a shot.

We get a different result every other ******* week.  

I really hope this isnt the coaching staff's thought process.

What?  That Geno is inconsistent, so they should bench him because he always does the same thing?  He took a big shot to the ribs early and seemed to fold up.  Benching him when he just had the TD drive would be silly.  One of the things he is supposed to be learning is how to battle through adversity.  If they bench him next week, I bet they will claim that he is injured.  

What?  That Geno is inconsistent, so they should bench him because he always does the same thing?  He took a big shot to the ribs early and seemed to fold up.  Benching him when he just had the TD drive would be silly.  One of the things he is supposed to be learning is how to battle through adversity.  If they bench him next week, I bet they will claim that he is injured.  

'He hasnt been inconsistent the past 3 games- he's been bad. It's not entirely his fault, but there's no downside to sitting him down for a week. We cant win games completing 8 passes....Geno's not learning anything out there. The game looks too fast for him right now- I'd rather throw Simms to the wolves than Geno. The offense is dreadful all around. It's not fair to a rookie QB.

Are you trying to win the game or develop a QB?

The one thing Shane and the Ilk were correct about was that the GM had to be careful not to treat Rex as a lame duck that would go all out to win at to keep his job at the expense of the future. I don't believe in rebuilding, but it was pretty obvious from at least as far back as mid-season 2012 that 2013 was not going to be our season. We are supposed to be competing and preparing for our next run. Destroying Geno is not a smart plan.

Both, and it was blantently obvious Geno was only going to further hinder his development the rest of this game at that point. Developing is not leaving a clueless player in the game (his brain was not processing so in essence he could not learn anything from these mistakes, even on film when pointed out to him what went wrong it's no help if he can't understand what he was thinking in real time when he actually made the throw). Sitting him down, and letting him watch from the sideline at that point in the game would have let him collect his brain back if he so chooses (or he could act like a bitch, and stew on the bench, and not learn sh*t his choice). It was also obvious the Jets would not win that game with Geno at center at the half, but it wasn't obvious that it was a hinderence in his development IMO until the 1st 2nd half TO.

Both, and it was blantently obvious Geno was only going to further hinder his development the rest of this game at that point. Developing is not leaving a clueless player in the game (his brain was not processing so in essence he could not learn anything from these mistakes, even on film when pointed out to him what went wrong it's no help if he can't understand what he was thinking in real time when he actually made the throw). Sitting him down, and letting him watch from the sideline at that point in the game would have let him collect his brain back if he so chooses (or he could act like a bitch, and stew on the bench, and not learn sh*t his choice). It was also obvious the Jets would not win that game with Geno at center at the half, but it wasn't obvious that it was a hinderence in his development IMO until the 1st 2nd half TO.

So he was clueless when he just led them on a TD drive?  So he got another 2 drives, gross negligence.

we are entering "anyone would be better" territory with Geno. I'd be happy to see Garrard, Simms, or even Josh Cribbs start at QB. And it's not a joke. 

Yes, it really is. 

So he was clueless when he just led them on a TD drive? So he got another 2 drives, gross negligence.

Yes, it really is.

No he got a play called where his first read Holmes got open on a double move, and his O-Line gave him more time to wait for Holmes to get wide open, the extra time he was given wasn't a finally the Jets blocked so Geno could throw the ball, or finally a WR got open. It was a tremendous job by the O-Line giving him 1-2 more seconds then any QB should need inside the pocket so he could wait to see if Holmes gets open instead of anticipating Holmes to be open on that route, and throw the ball earlier so these plays are successful when the O-Line doesn't give you that extra time. Ivory capped off the rest.

Smith will not throw to a WR in anticipation, he stares down his reads, and waits till there is obvious seperation, and when it appears to be there usually it's already to late, he is either getting flushed/sacked/scrambling, or throwing an INT.

None of this has changed since the Giants preseason game, he looks like the same clueless QB with a world of physical talent!

At some point you have to, Geno has single handedly lost too many games - and whether or not we stay in playoff contention or not, you've got to see what you have in Simms. Can't go into the off-season with questions about what to do at QB. Need to know if we gotta sign one, or draft one, or both. 

I can't believe we went from one pick-6 machine to another. Over the span of 3 offensive coordinators.

I don't think there's any question at all that they need both sign a veteran and draft a QB, and at least one of them needs to be a legitimate threat to win the starting job.

No he got a play called where his first read Holmes got open on a double move, and his O-Line gave him more time to wait for Holmes to get wide open, the extra time he was given wasn't a finally the Jets blocked so Geno could throw the ball, or finally a WR got open. It was a tremendous job by the O-Line giving him 1-2 more seconds then any QB should need inside the pocket so he could wait to see if Holmes gets open instead of anticipating Holmes to be open on that route, and throw the ball earlier so these plays are successful when the O-Line doesn't give you that extra time. Ivory capped off the rest.

Smith will not throw to a WR in anticipation, he stares down his reads, and waits till there is obvious seperation, and when it appears to be there usually it's already to late, he is either getting flushed/sacked/scrambling, or throwing an INT.

None of this has changed since the Giants preseason game, he looks like the same clueless QB with a world of physical talent!

Geno had at the very most exactly 4 seconds to throw the ball, it looks more like high 3s if you watch carefully.  The reason they had extra time wasn't that the Oline did such a tremendous job, it was that Morninwheg kept 7 guys in pass protection and only sent Hill and Holmes out on the primary routes. Sudfeld and Nelson were lined up on the right side, Nelson stayed and blocked whereas Sudfeld chipped his guy and finally leaked out for a drag route. Same thing with powell, he chipped his guy at the line and then tried to give Geno an outlet, but was covered pretty tightly.

On the route, Hill blew off the line and burned Gilmore and drew Byrd's coverage to the right side of the field which allowed Holmes to beat McKelvin on the double move (and no holding cold). It was very apropos to what the Rams used to do back with the greatest show on turf: mass protect and run a bunch of double and triple moves with Bruce and Holt.

Geno was dreadful, but I'm not sure why this is too surprising. We played a good Bills defense, in their home, with Geno not having thrown to his primary receiver in 6 weeks, another TE in two weeks and the other in 6 weeks. Our running game got absolutely zero momentum to help us out.  This doesn't mention that the Bills have a very solid defense. They ahve spent more on their defensive side of the football than any team in the league the last couple of years: Mario Williams and Mark Anderson were making a combined $116 million with $58 million of it guaranteed. They quickly cut Anderson, but still spent money on Kyle Williams (well worth it) and top 10 picks on McKelvin and Gilmore over the last few years, not to mention having the best FS in football. Kiki Alonso is a stud, but he was also a 2nd round pick.  We're simply not a talented enough football team to go down big points and expect any rookie QB to produce enough to overcome that. I may be the only one left, but I still like what I've seen in Geno enough where I want to see what the rest of the season unfolds. I have no problem with keeping him on a short leash as far as performance goes, but I don't want to see the short leash in terms of limiting his ability to operate. You can't have him hand off all game and then expect him to flip a switch and throw for three scores, especially with his oline being blown up in his face. 

I don't think there's any question at all that they need both sign a veteran and draft a QB, and at least one of them needs to be a legitimate threat to win the starting job.

I blame the Jets that we have to make statements like "at least one of them" ... as though the bar has been set at NONE of them are ever that guy.

Again, we're back to bringing up HoFers' early struggles to justify crappy QB play. Is there anyone with functioning grey matter who thinks Smith is a can't miss guy like Elway?

Start Simms. he couldn't be any worse. And just may be you have something. Because the real worst case scenario is that Simms takes his cleats accross the parking lot or up to FOxboro to become a decent backup or something more than that. And frankly wouldn't that be classic same old Jets?

we are entering "anyone would be better" territory with Geno. I'd be happy to see Garrard, Simms, or even Josh Cribbs start at QB. And it's not a joke. 

When the QB risks spotting the other team 14 points every game, yeah, it's a tough argument to make that he should be given a long leash. There's "growing pains with a rookie" and then there's "52 other guys just wasted a year of their career while the QB gave games away every other week".

When the QB risks spotting the other team 14 points every game, yeah, it's a tough argument to make that he should be given a long leash. There's "growing pains with a rookie" and then there's "52 other guys just wasted a year of their career while the QB gave games away every other week".

And dont think for a second guys in the locker room arent saying exactly what you just said. Calvin Pace already went public with it yesterday.

Again, we're back to bringing up HoFers' early struggles to justify crappy QB play. Is there anyone with functioning grey matter who thinks Smith is a can't miss guy like Elway?

Start Simms. he couldn't be any worse. And just may be you have something. Because the real worst case scenario is that Simms takes his cleats accross the parking lot or up to FOxboro to become a decent backup or something more than that. And frankly wouldn't that be classic same old Jets?

Did you read my post beyond the first sentence? I was making a point JUSTIFYING benching Smith. It should have happened a few games ago.

Did you read my post beyond the first sentence? I was making a point JUSTIFYING benching Smith. It should have happened a few games ago.

I did. This is not entirely directed at you, merely at what you hint at.

With Sanchez we went through a whole boatload of "HoF QB X struggled his 1st season..." or "QB X despites these struggles in nyear 4 or year 5 suddenly got it and was in the Super Bowl".And THEREFORE, THAT SUCKING REALLY MEANS EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT.

NO NAY NEVER. IT DOES F___IN' NOT MEAN THAT AT ALL.

IT MEANS THE QB PROBABLY SUCKS.

None of that is valid unless you also look at the overwhelming majority of QBs who really did suck, the Browning Nagles,the Dave Browns, the Jeff Kemps, the the Steve Walshes, the David Klinglers. And we NEVER hear how the sucktards are the real comparables.

Smith is a 2nd round pick. The Jets owe him nothing. In fact the Jets have long and less-than-glorious history of f___ing up 2nd round picks. The QB who should play this week is the guy that plausibly gives them the best chance to win. Right now that is Matt Simms, because it sure as sheet is not the turnover machine named Geno Smith.Now should Simms fall on his face, bring Smith back in. But enough of the babying crap that worked SO WELL with Pick 6. To keep playing Smith means Wrecks learned nothing from all that.

And dont think for a second guys in the locker room arent saying exactly what you just said. Calvin Pace already went public with it yesterday.

NFL careers are short, a few of these guys have had to endure 5 years of this same crap. I don't blame him at all.

Archived