• Created
  • Last Reply

Suddenly, Matt Simms is Mr. Popularity

November, 19, 2013

NOV 19

12:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Matt Simms' NFL résumé consists of 29 snaps and 13 pass attempts, but he was surrounded by reporters Monday in the New York Jets' locker room. He was one of the few players to actually show up during the media period, but his popularity also reflected the beginning stage of a quarterback controversy.

"Obviously, everyone is a fan of the backup quarterback when something goes wrong," Simms said. "I'm very well aware of that."

Something is going wrong, all right. Geno Smith is playing lousy, and some of the fan base is screaming for Simms to replace him. Rex Ryan said he's sticking with Smith to start Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens, but it was a lukewarm endorsement. He mentioned the possibility of giving Simms some first-team reps in practice this week, a clear message to Smith: Don't be too comfortable in your position, kid.

Simms offered his public support to his teammate.

"Quarterback is the toughest position in the world in any sport," said Simms, the son of former New York Giants great Phil Simms. "It's a constant grind. It's tough to be really consistent when you don't have a whole lot of experience, but I think Geno has done a good job of coming back and playing great after games he struggled. He's done that numerous times this year. We all expect him to bounce back and play great against Baltimore."

That's kind of a backhanded compliment, but he's right: Smith has struggled numerous times. He played poorly against the New England Patriots (Week 2), Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals. In each case, he played better the following week -- all victories, not coincidentally. But "better" is a vague description, because he certainly wasn't lights-out in the game following the Pittsburgh and Cincinnati stinkers.

Simms knows the business. It's his family business.

"My father had his fair share of struggles and a lot of fans wanted him to be run out of town, but he kept playing, kept playing hard, kept getting better, kept getting experience," he said. "A few years later, he was Super Bowl MVP."

But that was a different era. Patience in the NFL is a dying virtue.

Mike Westoff saying he doesn't see anyone being able to do better is ridiculous. First time I disagree outright with him. Simms has shown nothing but positives against whoever he's played. Give him his shot. What do we have to lose? Nothing. If Simms sucks at least we know all our qbs suck. If he is good and we win well... There you go.

simms must be a horrible practice qb. downright horrible. geno's qb play is disgusting at this point. simms played decent when he is in there. I just don't see whats the logic in continuing to play smith

It's simple. Idzik picked Geno, and can't afford to have 2 of his first 3 picks look like busts already so Geno will keep starting until Idzik pulls the plug in my view. Milliner and Smith look awful.

simms must be a horrible practice qb. downright horrible. geno's qb play is disgusting at this point. simms played decent when he is in there. I just don't see whats the logic in continuing to play smith

He's not. He outplayed everyone. He isn't getting the start simply and only because they wasted a 2nd round pick on him and starting Simms would create a media crapstorm...

It's simple. Idzik picked Geno, and can't afford to have 2 of his first 3 picks look like busts already so Geno will keep starting until Idzik pulls the plug in my view. Milliner and Smith look awful.

Bingo!!!

Not sure who picked which bust but the end result is that pulling the plug on top draft picks is an extremely difficult decision

Mike Westoff saying he doesn't see anyone being able to do better is ridiculous. First time I disagree outright with him. Simms has shown nothing but positives against whoever he's played. Give him his shot. What do we have to lose? Nothing. If Simms sucks at least we know all our qbs suck. If he is good and we win well... There you go.

It's gotten a little overboard with the claims that we've seen nothing-but-good/nothing-but-bad with Simms & Smith. To say Smith has shown LITERALLY nothing all season, as some have, is absurd. So is saying the opposite of Simms (who threw into blatant triple coverage in the EZ the last time he was on the field).

I'd like to see Simms in there at this point as well, but he hasn't been ALL good as is now being written.

I will say there HAS been some upside with leaving Geno in for as long as he has this year. If or when Simms implodes there aren't going to be millions of fans screaming about how Geno wasn't given enough time and that he was yanked too soon and now we don't know what we've got with a player we took in the top 40 only 7 months ago. So we've got that bright side to look back on.

It's gotten a little overboard with the claims that we've seen nothing-but-good/nothing-but-bad with Simms & Smith. To say Smith has shown LITERALLY nothing all season, as some have, is absurd. So is saying the opposite of Simms (who threw into blatant triple coverage in the EZ the last time he was on the field).

I'd like to see Simms in there at this point as well, but he hasn't been ALL good as is now being written.

I will say there HAS been some upside with leaving Geno in for as long as he has this year. If or when Simms implodes there aren't going to be millions of fans screaming about how Geno wasn't given enough time and that he was yanked too soon and now we don't know what we've got with a player we took in the top 40 only 7 months ago. So we've got that bright side to look back on.

Whats gonna happen is when he comes in and is successful youre gonna have millions of fans screaming why wasnt he given the job from the beginning...

And what good does that do you Spermy to hate on Simms? It shouldnt  matter to you who is QB as long as someone is successful. Youre saying youd like to see simms get his shot to fail? When Geno was given the chance we barked for simms but still supported Geno and wished the best for him and cheered during his few moments of success. But those moment are so few that it's barely any. What youre holding on to those long tds he threw to Hill early in the season. Im willing to put money that matt simms couldve made those throws and better cause he does have a better arm than geno...and matt simms can run too.

Whats gonna happen is when he comes in and is successful youre gonna have millions of fans screaming why wasnt he given the job from the beginning...

And what good does that do you Spermy to hate on Simms? It shouldnt matter to you who is QB as long as someone is successful. Youre saying youd like to see simms get his shot to fail? When Geno was given the chance we barked for simms but still supported Geno and wished the best for him and cheered during his few moments of success. But those moment are so few that it's barely any. What youre holding on to those long tds he threw to Hill early in the season. Im willing to put money that matt simms couldve made those throws and better cause he does have a better arm than geno...and matt simms can run too.

I'm not "hating" on Simms any more than I "love" Smith. Smith clearly has made a lot of great throws this season, often with the pressure coming from the front, about to clock him in the face. When a throw is delivered on the money while under duress, what difference does it make if it's against 2013's Falcons or the 2000 Ravens? The throw is either made or it isn't.

The problem is that Smith - like Sanchez before him - isn't making ENOUGH good throws. Therefore he should be benched and Simms given a shot.

I'm merely disagreeing with the fabricated notions stated that Simms did absolutely no wrong in his limited action. Throwing into triple coverage in the EZ is the same kind of garbage we've seen with Smith and Sanchez before him. It is not some haterism opinion that Simms did this; he did it. It is fact. Or is it now blasphemy to acknowledge what actually happened?

I have nothing against Simms other than I acknowledge the odds of him being a good QB are low. Not zero, but low. I'm not the Jets GM or HC or head scout. I don't give a crap if our QB comes from a high draft pick or as an undrafted FA or a veteran castoff from another team. It would thrill me immensely if Simms comes in and just crushes it.

I think one of the big problems here is where this team is located, in the NY media market. As ridiculous as this sounds, the Jets might have too much pride to be willing to lose face over benching Geno. But think about it, a franchise like Cleveland has no problem benching Weeden, a franchise like Jacksonville has no problem benching Gabbert, and these guys were drafted higher than Smith and in the first round!

Finding a franchise QB seems like a crapshoot these days; you aren't guaranteed to find one in the first round, and you might find one among late rounders or undrafted free agents, point is, this isn't the old NFL, you don't marry yourself to a QB just because you drafted him. Play him and if he sucks, bench him, get someone else to start, if the benched QB improves start him again to see if he can play. We need to stop coddling the quarterback, we made that mistake with Mark. The QB should be just as accountable for his performance as the long snapper or the place kicker. When the QB proves himself to be a good player, then maybe he will get the level of respect a team leader and face of the franchise typically warrants; until then, the QB is just another player in my book. The sooner this franchise realizes this, the better.

I can tell you this though, I think Simms wants it more than Geno does, not that that means anything as far as performance goes. But when I see Geno play, I just see a sad, discouraged player. When I see Simms in the Buffalo game, he plays like someone who has nothing to lose and everything to gain and I think this lets him play a lot looser.

TD passes thrown in month of November-

Matt Simms-1-

Geno Smith -0-

THIS

but man....im sorry to say it, when rex ryan came out and said about Geno "he gives us the best chance to win" i realized it was over for Matt Simms. he is not gonna get a shot this year cause Rex isnt smart enough to bail out of a burning plane. i hope im wrong and simms gets a chance so we can finally find out something.

I'd like Simms to get a shot partly because I think Geno needs a break, but primarily because this place will be priceless when he throws for 45% and takes five sacks.

45% is still better than geno, over the last three games his average is 39.2% BAL 40.9 BUF 34.8 NO 42.1

Even is Simms gets sacks 5 times i still think hell run a better offense.

i missed these articles for the Simms base--> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423314-the-manning-passing-academy-the-grades-are-in

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jul/14/simms-spirals-still-draw-raves/

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley prefers to reference ballistics.

Matt Simms just calls it throwing, and the Vols quarterback doesn't have a special way to describe his spirals.

But by any name, the way the football was coming out of his hands last week as a counselor at the Manning Passing Academy at at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La., certainly created a buzz around the favorite to win UT's starting job that the junior transfer hasn't had since arriving on campus.

"I don't really know how to explain it," Simms said Tuesday. "You know, I've thrown a lot of footballs in my life and just kind of learned how to throw a spiral pretty well. Over the years I've developed how to throw it pretty hard and kind of like a baseball, and that's just repetition.

"Really, I threw it good and blah, blah, blah. But the experience of hanging out with Eli and Peyton (Manning) and hearing different football stories from kids from all over the country was awesome. It was an awesome experience to be out there with a lot of high-profile quarterbacks who have established themselves as good quarterbacks, especially guys like (Alabama's Greg) McElroy and (LSU's) Jordan Jefferson in the SEC."

It certainly didn't hurt that he might have outshined both of those established arms either, and Simms definitely opened some eyes in the process.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen called him the "wow guy" on Twitter after watching him throw in a skills competition he narrowly lost, praising Simms for his arm strength, accuracy and spinning ability. McElroy also told Mortensen he wished he "had an arm like that."

Obviously there's more to playing the position than just natural talent, and for the most part there haven't been any real doubts that Simms has plenty of it.

But by his own admission Simms was missing a couple of other pieces as he tried to assert himself in a battle with Tyler Bray during his first spring with the Vols, though he's expecting more breakthroughs like he had in Louisiana now that he's settling in at UT.

"It's been different because in the spring, it was kind of like I just wanted people to believe in me even though I didn't really know what I was doing," Simms said. "Now, finally I know what I'm doing. So, really you should listen to me because I've got a better grasp of what's going on. You can ask all the coaches and all the players, I've definitely made a huge leap this summer, and that was my goal just to become more accurate with the football, better decision-making and to be quick but not to hurry.

"Probably 60 percent of the time I was lost. I just tried to convince the guys around me that I wasn't, just so they would have some sort of comfort with me in the huddle. That was definitely one of the tougher parts for me in the spring, but I played it off pretty well and I was able to survive."

The Vols will need him to do more than merely survive if a young offense is going to get off the ground against a difficult schedule.

But at least by now there shouldn't be questions about whether Simms has a big enough gun for the job.

"When we evaluate quarterbacks, one of the criteria I use is what I call his 'ballistics,' " Dooley said. "Imagine a bullet coming out of a gun. That's phenomenal ballistics, the physics of the spin and when it fires how tight the spiral is, how wound up the ball is. Matt does spin it well.

"I go on what I see, so if Chris Mortensen would have come back and said Matt Simms looked terrible, it wouldn't have changed how I felt about Matt. I've always been extremely impressed with Matt's maturity, I've been extremely impressed with his physical stature on the field, he does spin it very well and he has since he got here. I think probably the reason he's a surprise out there is because nobody has even talked about Matt Simms."

The conversation has officially started now, even if it's not all in the exact same language.

THIS

but man....im sorry to say it, when rex ryan came out and said about Geno "he gives us the best chance to win" i realized it was over for Matt Simms. he is not gonna get a shot this year cause Rex isnt smart enough to bail out of a burning plane. i hope im wrong and simms gets a chance so we can finally find out something.

Some are saying the franchise has to give Smith a shot. I would counter we already know that he sucks. We need to find out if Simms might be a player. Because the way Simms has been treated by these MORONS running this franchise means he will be out the door at season's end if something dramatic doesn't happen.

Some are saying the franchise has to give Smith a shot. I would counter we already know that he sucks. We need to find out if Simms might be a player. Because the way Simms has been treated by these MORONS running this franchise means he will be out the door at season's end if something dramatic doesn't happen.

I'm 100% behind letting Simms take his shot, but he was "out the door" last season also.  Funny how no one wanted him for so much as their practice squad.  His arm was just as strong then as it is today, and It's not like he doesn't have name recognition or anything.

I'm 100% behind letting Simms take his shot, but he was "out the door" last season also.  Funny how no one wanted him for so much as their practice squad.  His arm was just as strong then as it is today, and It's not like he doesn't have name recognition or anything.

Matt Flynn and Scott Mitchell financed their retirements on not much more. And right now there aren't a lot of decent QBs. Not saying Simms is can't miss, but the Jets need to play him and find out what they have. At a complete loss why the Jets after the Sanchez debacle are now acting like SMith is some prodigy who needs a nelping hand; what crap. They need to win football games. Simms may help. A 2nd round pick is something they waste regularly anyway.

With his arm, almost think Wrecks hates Simms because he can throw. And we all know Wrecks views the forward pass as EVIL.

Archived