Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok lets see, Luck has been to the playoffs already, turned his team around in his first year and actually brought hope to a franchise that was devastated by the loss of their best player. Simms threw a Td in the 4th qtr of a pre season game vs the 4th string defense. Your right there is no differance.

It would be foolish for us not to take him seriously. He is the only one not throwing INTs, not getting sacked, and not making terrible decisions. Worse thing hes done is be off the mark on a few throws. But even then, its been in space and not to the fatties on the other team.

Don't forget to mention he is the only one who actually throws a pass before the WR is open, that pass for a TD last night was thrown before Spadola even made his cut which had him run behind two unsuspecting defenders.

Obviously Simms does something in practice that makes the coach's think he is a boarder line 3rd stringer, but as on looking fans all we have seen is a hot shot gun slinger completing laser beams, it's tough for the fans not to want this even thou the coach's are probably correct in their assessment.

The only knock I've seen against Simms is that he isn't very accurate in his throws. But honestly for a young QB with a huge arm that's pretty much standard. The shame is that we have no one for him to sit behind and learn from. There's a big difference between sitting behind Sanchez and trying to learn what not to do and sitting behind a Brady or Brees and learning from a master.

Still I can't just give up on Geno, sure his first start was a tremendous failure and embarressment. The bigger thing to learn about him is if he can put this behind him and correct the rookie mistakes. Its hard to find any QB who didn't have an extremely poor outing in his first start in a  season game or season overall. 

Lets first see what he learns from this debacle, and if can properly coached to improve decision making, I really do think that the game will slow down for him and that he'll be able to make adjustments over the course of this first year. Realistically I don't see any of our QB's winning more than 4-5 games in 2013. I know that its so easy to write this team off but I'm a true die hard Jets fan and like so many others locked into this franchise I can hope for things to get better.

I will NEVER cheer for losses.

lol. You must be really young. But OK. Hope you're right.

Come on there is no possible way you were happy when the Jets won the last game H Edwards coached here in that 9-6 OT thriller! And with the 2nd pick in the 2006 NFL draft the NY Jets select Reggie Bush, probably not so it wouldn't have mattered, but back in January that year I was pissed we won that game.

The jets are fortunate that their 4th string QB is as good as their 1st string. Not many NFL teams have that kind of depth at QB.P

This is going to be my signature ... Thank you . 

You KNOW that the minute Simms is placed on PS or is cut that Bellycheat will pick him up. Then Brady gets hurt, Mallet gets hurt and SIMMS looks amazing. Teblow will have been cut by then. 

The Jets need to give Simms a legitimate shot. All the guy has done this offseason is make plays. Don't deny him the shot simply because he wasn't selected in the draft.

LL

Know why baseball has a minor league system and football depends on colleges?  Because baseball requires certain skills that normally are not acquired  by the age of 22, when you normally graduate college.  That's why baseball players drafted out of college normally play minor league ball for a year or two.

In the minor leagues, the assessment of players goes up and down.  One guy doesn't have a good year in the minors, but improves dramatically the next year and gets called up to the parent club, etc.

Skillswise, playing QB is similar to baseball, there is a lot to learn.  Simms lost his starting job in college, but hung on to get signed to the pro's and now he has played the best of our QBs in preseason.  If this happened in baseball, nobody would be surprised when he got called up.  But this is football and everyone looks at Simms' college record and says he's a permanent scrub if he makes it at all.

At this young age, different players develop at different ages.  If our starter is hurt and our rookie is too raw, there is no reason not to start the season with the QB who looked best in preseason.

Is Matt Simms the Jets' best QB?

23 m ago By Kimberley A. Martin

Jets quarterback Matt Simms is seen during training

Photo credit: Hans Pennink | Jets quarterback Matt Simms is seen during training camp. (Aug. 11, 2013)

Matt Simms doesn’t have any social media accounts, so he hasn’t been privy to the groundswell of support from Jets fans in recent weeks.

With the state of Mark Sanchez's right shoulder injury unknown and Geno Smith demonstrating he’s not ready for the big state just yet – some members of Jet Nation are clamoring for the 24-year-old quarterback to take the reigns.

But when asked last week about his growing popularity, the former Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) star surprisingly tempered the excitement of Matt Mania.

“Hey, I played in one preseason game for two drives. Let’s keep everything realistic here,” he told Newsday Thursday. “Just day-to-day, practice-to-practice. Let’s not make it bigger than what it really is. I’m just trying to make the team right now and work hard and stay humble.

“There’s just no reason to get ahead of myself right now,” he added. “I know I need to continue to work and prepare and learn as much as I can about the game, about our offense. If I get opportunities, (I plan) to seize those opportunities and that’s all you can do really.”

And Simms has done just that.

So far this preseason, he has a passer rating of 137.5. He’s completed 11 of 15 for 193 yards, one touchdown and – unlike Sanchez and Smith – has no interceptions.

Simms' minutes, however, have come against backup defenses. Still, when given a chance to play, the rookie quarterback has impressed.

Saturday night’s 24-21 overtime win over the Giants in the MetLife Bowl was another example.

The son of former Giants quarterback Phil Simms went 6-for-10 for 120 yards -- including a 22-yard touchdown pass to rookie Ryan Spadola to put the Jets up 21-18, before connecting again with Spadola on a 70-yard completion that set up Billy Cundiff’s game-winning field goal.

“Technically I wasn’t really supposed to throw that,” Simms said Saturday night of the touchdown pass he threw. “But Ryan did a great job catching in the back window like that. That was one of those things, it was either going to be a great throw or a really bad decision. So, I’m happy it worked out well.”

As for his long completion to Spadola (aka, “Spicoli”), Simms said: “That play, just a scramble drill. Run out of the pocket and make something happen. Luckily I put enough juice on the ball for Spadola to come back and catch it. He did a great job coming back and making a great play after the catch as well.”

Simms told Newsday last week that he feels he’s shown the Jets coaching staff “that I’m improving every day and with each rep that I get, I’m getting better and not making the same mistake twice.”

But even though he had the best overall performance of any Jets quarterback Saturday night, Smith had known all along the QB competition would be centered solely on Sanchez and Smith.

“I think everyone understands the situation here with Mark and Geno. And that’s understandable,” he said Thursday. “And at most NFL camps, it’s really just mainly the first and second-team guys that get a lot of reps and I’ve been very fortunate with Marty that he’s passed along a few reps to me and Greg (McElroy) as well. So in that sense, we’re pretty fortunate as far as three and fours go

Know why baseball has a minor league system and football depends on colleges?  Because baseball requires certain skills that normally are not acquired  by the age of 22, when you normally graduate college.  That's why baseball players drafted out of college normally play minor league ball for a year or two.

In the minor leagues, the assessment of players goes up and down.  One guy doesn't have a good year in the minors, but improves dramatically the next year and gets called up to the parent club, etc.

Skillswise, playing QB is similar to baseball, there is a lot to learn.  Simms lost his starting job in college, but hung on to get signed to the pro's and now he has played the best of our QBs in preseason.  If this happened in baseball, nobody would be surprised when he got called up.  But this is football and everyone looks at Simms' college record and says he's a permanent scrub if he makes it at all.

At this young age, different players develop at different ages.  If our starter is hurt and our rookie is too raw, there is no reason not to start the season with the QB who looked best in preseason.

Yeah, but doesn't Simms have that whole, "my Dad was an NFL QB, my brother was an NFL QB, I'm better prepared and have gotten by on my name" thing going for him? If anybody should have been better prepared coming out it's Simms. 

C'mon people.  We all know the Jets are a blessed franchise. 

When was the last time they had a run of bad luck?  This is going to be the Tom Brady story all over again.  Starter gets hurt, unknown guy comes in and wins multiple rings.

Jets won't even have to cheat

Starting the guy with the highest qb rating and best arm makes too much sense for this team. Idzick is obsessed with making himself look like the savior and ryan has clearly gone full retard for sanchez. pretty sure we will end up picking up leinart or some other joke of a qb cut simms and he will be scooped up by pittsburgh or ne and groomed to be the next antichrist. once again Jets are responsible for NFL armageddon...

what Geno did last night was typical nervous rookie crap.  he still threw for 200 yards in 3 quarters.  Sanchez has trouble doing that over 60 minutes.  face it:  we do not have a legit starter on the roster, but we have a rookie with a chance to get better.

Good point.

I'd like to see a lot of Simms in the final preseason game before I see his number called for week 1.  I do have to admit, he has a rocket arm which is really making him standout from the rest and he has great energy out there as well....the rest of the QBs are deer in headlights on every play.....and like someone else mentioned before in this thread - his face doesn't piss me off like the rest of them do.  

C'mon people.  We all know the Jets are a blessed franchise. 

When was the last time they had a run of bad luck?  This is going to be the Tom Brady story all over again.  Starter gets hurt, unknown guy comes in and wins multiple rings.

Jets won't even have to cheat

The best part would be that the Giants caused the emergence of this next star jets QB to replace the injured Sanchez...whether Geno or Simms....just the idea of that makes me soil myself.....maybe even the guy on the Giants will end up being Mo Lewis's cousin....great story!

It would be nice if he was Brady all over again... But didn't we think that with McElroy ??

Simms DOES have a rocket arm. If he can read defenses better and work out accuracy... Dude could be something,think they would start him against Revis with just 1 practice and pre season game against starters if they did think of it ? Think Geno will get all the reps.... **** I want Simms out there though.

It would be nice if he was Brady all over again... But didn't we think that with McElroy ??

Simms DOES have a rocket arm. If he can read defenses better and work out accuracy... Dude could be something,think they would start him against Revis with just 1 practice and pre season game against starters if they did think of it ? Think Geno will get all the reps.... **** I want Simms out there though.

I never once thought of that with McElroy.  

I dont think he would get the start over Geno..... and Geno will continue to get all the reps like u say.... but if Sanchez is out for a bit....and Geno plays like he did last nite.....Simms will be in sooner than later I would assume. But that would be a huge blow to Geno's ego I'm sure

If he gets all the reps behind Aboushi, the Jets will have 2 injured QB's

Come on there is no possible way you were happy when the Jets won the last game H Edwards coached here in that 9-6 OT thriller! And with the 2nd pick in the 2006 NFL draft the NY Jets select Reggie Bush, probably not so it wouldn't have mattered, but back in January that year I was pissed we won that game.

I was thinking more like the last game of 2007.  Our first pick would have been Matt Ryan instead of Vernon Gholston.  

Nice little side effect is we'd still have been able to use our 1st & 2nd round picks the following year on someone other than Sanchez.  And the millions per year in cap difference between the #5 slot we traded up into and the #17 slot we started at.

I was thinking more like the last game of 2007.  Our first pick would have been Matt Ryan instead of Vernon Gholston.  

Nice little side effect is we'd still have been able to use our 1st & 2nd round picks the following year on someone other than Sanchez.  And the millions per year in cap difference between the #5 slot we traded up into and the #17 slot we started at.

Is that the year the Jets won the last game of the season on a KOR for a TD?  That made me both sick and incredibly angry.

sh*t didn't even think about that one, could have drafted P. Harvin, and L McCoy to complement M Ryan!

I agree with the Dude!  The Dude abides.  Start Simms!!!  He is the answer.  But I'm sure biased Rex with his Sanchez tattoo will

ultimately pick Mark to start.  Watch the both of them go down in flames.  What scares me even more is that once Mark screws up by weeks

3 or 4, who will he put in then?  Please don't tell me Geno.

The only knock I've seen against Simms is that he isn't very accurate in his throws. But honestly for a young QB with a huge arm that's pretty much standard. The shame is that we have no one for him to sit behind and learn from. There's a big difference between sitting behind Sanchez and trying to learn what not to do and sitting behind a Brady or Brees and learning from a master.

Matt Cassel. Paging Matt Cassel.

Archived