Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

So the Jets stated they had an open competition, but even if the next Kurt Warner showed up to camp it wouldnt have mattered? Is that what you are saying?

lol good try with your apples and oranges. Matt Simms is not Kurt Warner. but keep at it.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamarcus Russell had a cannon too. Since that's all you need, let's pick his fat ass up and start him week one. Just for the fun of it. That's basically the same thing as starting Simms. Minus the fat and the high draft pick.

lol good try with your apples and oranges. Matt Simms is not Kurt Warner. but keep at it.

It was just a hypothetical question. I never even mentioned Matt Simms. I'm just saying, if Kurt Warner circa 2000 showed up, what would the Jets do? Assuming the "open competition" has two meanings? Are you saying it has three meanings now? lol. 

If you tell me that Simms got his mechanics from David Lee and Marty Morninweg, than yes I will.

But you acknowledge that you're wrong in your assessment of Geno Smith's college career?  Check his completion percentage.

And further, that you're premature in saying he shows "no upside?"

you are taking what someone else is reporting over what your own eyes witness? sounds like an agenda alright

Unless you were at TC every day, the ONLY things your eyes can report on are the preseason games. We have to take Rex's, Mornhinweg's and Lee's comments as factual since they were actually asked by the beat writers.

Simms did look better in the preseason games, but again, it was against many guys who won't even be on a PS of their team this year.  Geno was playing against starters and backups.  Big difference.

Unless you were at TC every day, the ONLY things your eyes can report on are the preseason games.  Simms did look better in those, but again, it was against many guys who won't even be on a PS of their team this year.  Geno was playing against starters and backups.  Big difference.

Geno didnt look any good against backups and downright embarrassing against starters, so I dont see your point.

Didn't Brett Ratliff have the best statistics and/or QBR in his great preseason too?

I can't believe people forget the lesson that is Brett Ratliff.  Yup, he had great stats.  He had a strong arm.  Some people even thought he had an intangible "it" quality. 

What is that saying? 

"Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it..."

Jamarcus Russell had a cannon too. Since that's all you need, let's pick his fat ass up and start him week one. Just for the fun of it. That's basically the same thing as starting Simms. Minus the fat and the high draft pick.

WOW! JUST WOW?

I can't believe people forget the lesson that is Brett Ratliff.  Yup, he had great stats.  He had a strong arm.  Some people even thought he had an intangible "it" quality. 

What is that saying? 

"Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it..."

I know, its almost like when those idiot Rams fans got all excited about Kurt Warner.

I never heard about SImms having a "brutal" day. All we can go by is what we see. All the QB's had ups and downs in training camp.

But you said that, "No on is denying that Simms has looked better then Geno throughout." and it simply isn't true.  You didn't "see" every practice with your own eyes.  Rex, Mornhinweg and Lee did and it's THEIR comments I'm going on, especially since theirs and Idzik's are the ONLY ONES THAT MATTER!!!!!!

It was just a hypothetical question. I never even mentioned Matt Simms. I'm just saying, if Kurt Warner circa 2000 showed up, what would the Jets do? Assuming the "open competition" has two meanings? Are you saying it has three meanings now? lol.

ah yes, the irrelevant hypothetical. if Kurt Warner circa 2000 showed up there wouldn't be any ongoing competition and I wouldn't be here hypothetically calling you an idiot while politely pretending you're doing it on purpose.

agreed, Simms will never make it through waivers.  McElroy might though.  The player with the best chance of winning the game should start. Simple principle.  To date, the Jets coaches have acted that in the absence of Sanchez, Smith is that player.  That's the reason he received all of the snaps with the first team in practice along with Sanchez.  If that changes, they should start Simms.  Why not stick with the plan at this point though?  Smith has been taking the reps.  Prep Simms for the back up role.  Give Smith a game to see what he can do.  If he sucks, Simms starts.  It's not the end of the world, and it actually spares Simms some pressure of taking the big stage in game one.

It'll never work that way.   Hell if Smith sucks but Sanchez is hurt till week 5 or something,  they probably aren't going to bench Smith.  You really don't start a Rookie on day one and then bench him halfway through a season unless you feel like the guy is a total waste and is going to be cut/dumped anyway.     Starting Simms and him not working out just means he goes back to being the backup/3rd stringer.  Nobody cares, expects anything different at that point.  

But Smith is supposed to become the starter or be the starter.  If he comes in, isn't up to the role yet, and is benched 3-4 weeks into his role,  you wind up like the Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills a few years back and a ton of other teams who never actually have a QB.  Carolina got lucky in they sucked and wound up with another QB who seems to be good.  But most of the other teams still have no QB.  And then what do you do?  

Say what you want, Smith is the guy. He might not be the #1 pick, but the way the media and the way the Jets seem to be treating him, he might as well be the #1 pick. And you can't really just bench those guys after they start.   Kind of like being stuck with Sanchez for years.

ah yes, the irrelevant hypothetical. if Kurt Warner circa 2000 showed up there wouldn't be any ongoing competition and I wouldn't be here hypothetically calling you an idiot while politely pretending you're doing it on purpose.

You make no sense.

Just to point out in training camp Mark and Geno would have gotten the majority of reps- all against first string

The point of getting reps against 1st string does mean A LOT, I don't want to down play this at all. You also have to consider they also got to PLAY with all 1st team talent in most of those reps VS 1st team talent, that has to be said to, Simms didn't go against the 1's, but he also never got a chance to play WITH them either, who knows maybe a Holmes takes a ball that a Spadola, or the guy wearing #16 to the house on some of those plays if the play calling is the same from both the O, and the D. MM gets WR's open with his play designs, all the QB needs to do is not be inaccurate, or stare down WR's on 5, and 7 step drops, something neither Smith, or Sanchez have shown, while Simms did show it, that's all I'm gonna say, because it can't really be furthered discussed unless Simms is actually given a chance to play with the 1's, against the 1's IMO.

Just to point out in training camp Mark and Geno would have gotten the majority of reps- all against first string

Mark could run against the 3rd stringers and still come up having thrown more incompletions and probably a good two picks, one being to a lineman. I hate him.

I coulda swore I read about Simms ending multiple practices with 70-yd bomb TDs to Spadola. Granted it was against our "3rd string defenders", I also read that said 3rd string defenders (walls, lanskter, truant) may have legitimate shots at starting opposite Cro.

no, but I don't know what else to think of someone who can't grasp the concept of "saying one thing and doing another."

There are not multiple ways to have open competitions. Didn't you learn this in cheerleading?

I keep an open mind but just pointing out Simms had flaws- that is the reason he was replaced at Tennesesee as the starter and not drafted- not to mean he could have matured and become better

Exactly. College is college. Winners in college, like Graham Harrell and Greg McElroy suck now. College nobodies turn their game into league worthy notables. Simms could be that guy too.

And Simms thought he was a god going into college. Riding pine, and no longer being talked about,and being called garbage may have motivated him. cause clearly, he did not look like a loser out there.

There are not multiple ways to have open competitions. Didn't you learn this in cheerleading?

there is only one way to have an open competition between Sanchez and Smith that Simms, until last night, had nothing to do with. but yeah, keep pretending you don't get it.

Archived