Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....with 2 should have been INTs and 0 TDs.... the kid is talented and he's getting better. Lets not crown him the king of new york yet.

The one almost Int was on the WR. He broke late on the route. He also had two TD drives stopped because of fumbles. Right now he is the best option on the roster.

I thought Idzik was all about open competition? Isnt that what we read about all spring?

I agree.  That's my point.

I didn't consider Simms in the early QB competition, but the fact of the matter is he has out played both of the other QB's.  I'm not proclaiming him a "Super Star"  but he's been the best QB in camp by far.

He should at least be considered #2

I agree.  That's my point.

I didn't consider Simms in the early QB competition, but the fact of the matter is he has out played both of the other QB's.  I'm not proclaiming him a "Super Star"  but he's been the best QB in camp by far.

He should at least be considered #2

Totally agree dude. No one is going to convince me that he can't be a serviceable starter in the league at this point. There were plenty of examples around the league of serviceable starters that could not do what he did against 2nd and 3rd stringers as good as he did.

Totally agree dude. No one is going to convince me that he can't be a serviceable starter in the league at this point. There were plenty of examples around the league of serviceable starters that could not do what he did against 2nd and 3rd stringers as good as he did.

There was AT LEAST 5 throws (love him, or hate him) that Simms put the ball perfectly on the WR in stride, that if it were a healthy S Holmes he would have taken possibly 2 to the house no question in my mind. Don't care what the situation was, tonight was the first time I was left wanting to see more of the Jets offense, and actually disappointed the game was over since the 1998 season.

Yes Simms has a HELL of A LOT to learn, but I honestly believe he could be that next great story QB IF he is kept with MM, and gets to either sit, and learn from him, or go out, and play in actual games with tonight's game plan of throwing the ball 40+ times regardless if he is 5-40, or 40-40. Same might be the case for G Smith, but I haven't seen enough of him to say that like I've seen from Simms.

1 major thing that concerns me is I haven't seen Simms attempt a real down field bomb, and with that throwing motion he might have extreme accuracy issues with those, and might be the real reason he hasn't/isn't given a real look, just speculation from me no real proof of this.

There was AT LEAST 5 throws (love him, or hate him) that Simms put the ball perfectly on the WR in stride, that if it were a healthy S Holmes he would have taken possibly 2 to the house no question in my mind. Don't care what the situation was, tonight was the first time I was left wanting to see more of the Jets offense, and actually disappointed the game was over since the 1998 season.

Yes Simms has a HELL of A LOT to learn, but I honestly believe he could be that next great story QB IF he is kept with MM, and gets to either sit, and learn from him, or go out, and play in actual games with tonight's game plan of throwing the ball 40+ times regardless if he is 5-40, or 40-40. Same might be the case for G Smith, but I haven't seen enough of him to say that like I've seen from Simms.

1 major thing that concerns me is I haven't seen Simms attempt a real down field bomb, and with that throwing motion he might have extreme accuracy issues with those, and might be the real reason he hasn't/isn't given a real look, just speculation from me no real proof of this.

Agree 110%

As far as the downfield bomb goes, you are right a lot of his throws were underneath. But the throw that went through Zack Rodgers hands (who needs to be cut btw). was a pretty deep and pretty tough throw. like you said, that is six points if it is Hill or Holmes out there. He just sticks it on the WR so nicely. There is no one on our roster who does that right now. I agree though there was not a ton of deep stuff. Was it because of him or the system? Idk the answer to that. I do know that MM loves the short passing game.

....with 2 should have been INTs and 0 TDs.... the kid is talented and he's getting better. Lets not crown him the king of new york yet.

No  ... lets put that crown on one of the other dildos we have listed at QB that throw the ball into the opposing defenders arms with such accuracy they can't miss them. Give this kid a shot - he's the best looking thing we've seen in a long time albeit in a small sample size with apples and oranges defensive bias's.  

IF..Geno was not this years big talked about 2nd round pick who supposedly should have gone in the first and then fired his agent yadda yadda....and was say just your typical not talked about 2nd round QB, like most QBs drafted in the 2nd round.....then he would be behind simms on depth chart at this point.  He clearly is not playing as well as Simms and Simms has clearly out performed him in the preseason.  Geno is still staring down wide receivers for crying out loud!! I'm not sayn Simms would follow through with this kind of play during the season either bc its truly hard to tell....but I surely have more faith in him than the other guys at this point..

and damn that boy got a gun of an arm...AND is accurate as all hell

The one on the 1st 2nd series, he threw is so hard, it was drilled right into thr corners chest and he couldnt get his hands on it in time. When is the last time a Jet QB went 33/44, throwing darts? Sign me up please.

Simms has looked the best of all of the Jets QB's and it isn't even close. He deserves to start Week 1 - but sadly won't.

Which is why this franchise is effed up. Even Wrecks in his presser said Simms did better than anyone in the NFL statistically in the preseason. SO instead they will simply hand the job to Smith. And if he craps the bed, then you'll turn to Simms. If you worried about Smith's confidence how does that fly?

Simms should start. if this imbecile Wrecks  tries to sneak him onto the Practice Squad he deserves to be fired.There is no way Simms is sneaking through waivers.

At a loss why anyone cares about Sanchez other than his salary cap number. 

Simms has looked the best of all of the Jets QB's and it isn't even close. He deserves to start Week 1 - but sadly won't.

Which is why this franchise is effed up. Even Wrecks in his presser said Simms did better than anyone in the NFL statistically in the preseason. SO instead they will simply hand the job to Smith. And if he craps the bed, then you'll turn to Simms. If you worried about Smith's confidence how does that fly?

Simms should start. if this imbecile Wrecks  tries to sneak him onto the Practice Squad he deserves to be fired.There is no way Simms is sneaking through waivers.

I don't think it is a good idea to get all het up.  There is a big diff between starter defense and scrub defense.  We all know he can throw it.  Most encouraging thing is he was fairly accurate, which he was not in college.  Pro D'S can play havoc with accuracy.

I don't think it is a good idea to get all het up.  There is a big diff between starter defense and scrub defense.  We all know he can throw it.  Most encouraging thing is he was fairly accurate, which he was not in college.  Pro D'S can play havoc with accuracy.

I don't watch a ton of college football. Does anyone know how Simms did?  Why was he undrafted?

agreed, Simms will never make it through waivers.  McElroy might though.  The player with the best chance of winning the game should start. Simple principle.  To date, the Jets coaches have acted that in the absence of Sanchez, Smith is that player.  That's the reason he received all of the snaps with the first team in practice along with Sanchez.  If that changes, they should start Simms.  Why not stick with the plan at this point though?  Smith has been taking the reps.  Prep Simms for the back up role.  Give Smith a game to see what he can do.  If he sucks, Simms starts.  It's not the end of the world, and it actually spares Simms some pressure of taking the big stage in game one.

O K

But who's better?   Smith?  Why?  Because he's a 2nd round pick?  Don't buy it

That appears to be the only faulty logic to start Smith. And really if you're worried about Smith's confidence, how will it go if he goes in there and screws the pooch next Sunday?

First Ratliff then McElroy and now Simms.   The 3rd QB always seems to be the most popular with this team.  

With Sanchez and Smith ahead of him  I am confident that Simms will get his chance at some point this year.    

McElroy never lit it up in the pre season like the other two though. McElroy was only popular because the two ahead of him were so horrible last year. 

McElroy never lit it up in the pre season like the other two though. McElroy was only popular because the two ahead of him were so horrible last year. 

I take it all you "start Simms now" guys also think Khalil Bell won the starting RB job last night and should start ahead of Ivory and Powell? Ya know, since he performed better than both of them and scored a lot more than any RB we have. It's only logical.

I take it all you "start Simms now" guys also think Khalil Bell won the starting RB job last night and should start ahead of Ivory and Powell? Ya know, since he performed better than both of them and scored a lot more than any RB we have. It's only logical.

I take it that you "start Geno" guys also wanted to cut Danny Woodhead because it was just 3rd stringers he beasted against? Bell was steady last night - but not spectacular. He deserves the #3 RB roll for running hard and hitting the hole. 

Archived