•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Matt Simms: MERGED

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#126 CobraVerde

CobraVerde

Taunting TGG Authority

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hey, I'm just posting what a few people who know a few things posted on twitter.  There are plenty of Jets fans that want him to start.  They are just as misguided as you.

I was pretending to talk to the experts when i said Let's start Geno Smith Go right ahead. Im not misguided, im delusional....

Posted Image
http://www.soundcloud.com/pmcrw
http://www.friendsinsquareplaces.com

#127 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,769 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sadly your right  

Based on the QB play in the preseason here is what the QB depth chart should look like

Sanchez------  Nothing special.  Decent Preseason.  made same type mistakes

Simms----- Hated Simms coming into the season.  Has been the best QB on the team.  Expected him to melt down tonight.  Played real well with questionable protection. 

Smith-----Kid has some upside, but really has had a shaky preseason.

I struggle with putting simms #2 right now.  geno went up against the giants starters.  but he had time to throw and still turned it over 3 times.  simms had 2 picks dropped.  

I love how simms responded after the safety, but you just have to give geno the first crack at starting if sanchez can't.  

I'm just literally going to pray they cut mcelrat, I couldn't take this team and the backlash if they cut simms or try yo stash him on the PS

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#128 ylekram

ylekram

BLUE EYED DEVIL

• Members
  • 3,012 posts
  • Locationhamden,ct.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

wtf?

#129 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,769 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

system QB

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#130 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I struggle with putting simms #2 right now.  geno went up against the giants starters.  but he had time to throw and still turned it over 3 times.  simms had 2 picks dropped.  

I love how simms responded after the safety, but you just have to give geno the first crack at starting if sanchez can't.  

I'm just literally going to pray they cut mcelrat, I couldn't take this team and the backlash if they cut simms or try yo stash him on the PS

It'll be like this week 1:

Geno

Simms

Sanchez (out injured)

McElroy cut.

That's the way I see it anyway. If Sanchez is healthy, he starts, Geno #2, Simms still on team as #3.

#131 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,769 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

It'll be like this week 1:

Geno

Simms

Sanchez (out injured)

McElroy cut.

That's the way I see it anyway. If Sanchez is healthy, he starts, Geno #2, Simms still on team as #3.

wow

can you imagine if geno hurts his vagina and simms rallies the team to a win ?

can we be so lucky as to catch lightning in a bottle ?

#132 Latinlawyer

Latinlawyer

The JetNation Godfather

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Yeah Our System and OUR new #3 qb for now. Will be the #2 by next year or might even unseat Geno.

Posted Image F U Jets!

#133 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,562 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Simms looked awesome against second and third stringers. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying my Super Bowl gear yet. Do Jets fans ALWAYS instantly overrate anyone who looks like they might not suck entirely?

#134 Latinlawyer

Latinlawyer

The JetNation Godfather

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Simms looked good. I hope they give him a real chance. It was nice to know you McElroy.

Posted Image F U Jets!

#135 CobraVerde

CobraVerde

Taunting TGG Authority

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

at one point he was 31-38...

Posted Image

#136 CobraVerde

CobraVerde

Taunting TGG Authority

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

system QB

that was running for his life

Posted Image

#137 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Simms has looked the best of all of the Jets QB's and it isn't even close. He deserves to start Week 1 - but sadly won't.

Edited by RSJ, 29 August 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#138 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

......with 8 legit drops.....

Edited by RSJ, 29 August 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#139 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Simms looked awesome against second and third stringers. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying my Super Bowl gear yet. Do Jets fans ALWAYS instantly overrate anyone who looks like they might not suck entirely?

Nobody is asking you to buy Super Bowl gear.  Yes, Simms looked very good against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Smith looked bad against the same type people.

Their both very young players.  Right now Simms has outplayed Smith.  Why should Smith get the #2 spot?  Because he's a 2nd round pick?  Make him ear that #2 spot.

He hasn't

#140 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Nobody is asking you to buy Super Bowl gear.  Yes, Simms looked very good against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Smith looked bad against the same type people.

Their both very young players.  Right now Simms has outplayed Smith.  Why should Smith get the #2 spot?  Because he's a 2nd round pick?  Make him ear that #2 spot.

He hasn't

I thought Idzik was all about open competition? Isnt that what we read about all spring?

#141 shhwagah

shhwagah

Practice Squad Player

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 223 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL via Jersey

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

....with 2 should have been INTs and 0 TDs.... the kid is talented and he's getting better. Lets not crown him the king of new york yet.

Edited by shhwagah, 29 August 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#142 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

....with 2 should have been INTs and 0 TDs.... the kid is talented and he's getting better. Lets not crown him the king of new york yet.

The one almost Int was on the WR. He broke late on the route. He also had two TD drives stopped because of fumbles. Right now he is the best option on the roster.

#143 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I thought Idzik was all about open competition? Isnt that what we read about all spring?

I agree.  That's my point.

I didn't consider Simms in the early QB competition, but the fact of the matter is he has out played both of the other QB's.  I'm not proclaiming him a "Super Star"  but he's been the best QB in camp by far.

He should at least be considered #2

Edited by flgreen, 29 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#144 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

I agree.  That's my point.

I didn't consider Simms in the early QB competition, but the fact of the matter is he has out played both of the other QB's.  I'm not proclaiming him a "Super Star"  but he's been the best QB in camp by far.

He should at least be considered #2

Totally agree dude. No one is going to convince me that he can't be a serviceable starter in the league at this point. There were plenty of examples around the league of serviceable starters that could not do what he did against 2nd and 3rd stringers as good as he did.

Edited by RSJ, 29 August 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#145 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

at one point he was 31-38...

RSJ makes a good point with the drops. But also, I remember the announcer saying he hit "24 of his last 25 passes" midway through the 3rd qtr.

#146 Lupz27

Lupz27

2nd year player looking for a breakout season.

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Totally agree dude. No one is going to convince me that he can't be a serviceable starter in the league at this point. There were plenty of examples around the league of serviceable starters that could not do what he did against 2nd and 3rd stringers as good as he did.

There was AT LEAST 5 throws (love him, or hate him) that Simms put the ball perfectly on the WR in stride, that if it were a healthy S Holmes he would have taken possibly 2 to the house no question in my mind. Don't care what the situation was, tonight was the first time I was left wanting to see more of the Jets offense, and actually disappointed the game was over since the 1998 season.

Yes Simms has a HELL of A LOT to learn, but I honestly believe he could be that next great story QB IF he is kept with MM, and gets to either sit, and learn from him, or go out, and play in actual games with tonight's game plan of throwing the ball 40+ times regardless if he is 5-40, or 40-40. Same might be the case for G Smith, but I haven't seen enough of him to say that like I've seen from Simms.

1 major thing that concerns me is I haven't seen Simms attempt a real down field bomb, and with that throwing motion he might have extreme accuracy issues with those, and might be the real reason he hasn't/isn't given a real look, just speculation from me no real proof of this.

#147 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

When was the last time a Jets QB had no Int's through 4 qtrs?

#148 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

There was AT LEAST 5 throws (love him, or hate him) that Simms put the ball perfectly on the WR in stride, that if it were a healthy S Holmes he would have taken possibly 2 to the house no question in my mind. Don't care what the situation was, tonight was the first time I was left wanting to see more of the Jets offense, and actually disappointed the game was over since the 1998 season.

Yes Simms has a HELL of A LOT to learn, but I honestly believe he could be that next great story QB IF he is kept with MM, and gets to either sit, and learn from him, or go out, and play in actual games with tonight's game plan of throwing the ball 40+ times regardless if he is 5-40, or 40-40. Same might be the case for G Smith, but I haven't seen enough of him to say that like I've seen from Simms.

1 major thing that concerns me is I haven't seen Simms attempt a real down field bomb, and with that throwing motion he might have extreme accuracy issues with those, and might be the real reason he hasn't/isn't given a real look, just speculation from me no real proof of this.

Agree 110%

As far as the downfield bomb goes, you are right a lot of his throws were underneath. But the throw that went through Zack Rodgers hands (who needs to be cut btw). was a pretty deep and pretty tough throw. like you said, that is six points if it is Hill or Holmes out there. He just sticks it on the WR so nicely. There is no one on our roster who does that right now. I agree though there was not a ton of deep stuff. Was it because of him or the system? Idk the answer to that. I do know that MM loves the short passing game.

Edited by RSJ, 29 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#149 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

that was running for his life

LOL

That is the reason I'm so impressed. 

#150 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

O K

But who's better?   Smith?  Why?  Because he's a 2nd round pick?  Don't buy it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users