Do you ever wish our coach wasn't a f'ing clown?

Bob

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's from having had to watch all of the other coaches they've had over the past 25 years, but I still like Rex.  So  much better than Mangini/Edwards/Groh/Kotite/Coslet/Walton...ugh.  If MM can get the offense to be decent, they can be good enough on defense to be a lot better than a lot of fans are anticipating.

He is a good DC, but he has no business being a head coach. 

The Problem is ownership. We have a spooled brat Richie Rich douchebag for an owner. 

people are overreacting to the presser. I watched it. he seems annoyed but he's not screaming/throwing things like I was led to believe.

If Mehta and his ilk are going to ask the same question over and over you can understand him losing his temper. Last night might be a "play to win the game"/"they are who we thought they were/PLAYOFFS?" future beer commercial, little more. Wrecks is going to lose his job in January because he's a bad head coach, period.

The 2013 Jets got a little bit worse yesterday (if that was even conceivable), and subsequently will be a little better for it in the future

-Rex is definitely gone now

-The Jets will see if they have a QB on the roster for the future.

The Scouts and player personnel people better be ready, because next year is a big draft

If Mehta and his ilk are going to ask the same question over and over you can understand him losing his temper. Last night might be a "play to win the game"/"they are who we thought they were/PLAYOFFS?" future beer commercial, little more. Wrecks is going to lose his job in January because he's a bad head coach, period.

true. I was just expecting, like, a Hulk out the way people were going on about it.

I completely agree.

Who's the option? Darrell Bevell? Would anyone have ever heard of him if he didn't have Russell Wilson at QB? Would anyone be questioning Rex's ability to coach if he had Russell Wilson?

People are gonna miss Rex sooner than they think if/when Idzik fires him. There are a lot worse coaches out there, only they don't say things.

Rex actually had the chance to HAVE Wilson, but passed...genius that he is. Terry Bradway was trumpeting Wilson so loudly that Rex and Tanny decided to deride Bradway by calling Wilson, Russell Bradway. Yeah slats Rex is a real freakin genius. He is a buffoon and he proved it in his press conference. You can't hope to bull bleep the media in NY and get away with it. Should have stood up and took the heat, but instead decided to get defensive and act like "they are out to get me." Which will soon be true if it's not already.

The 2013 Jets got a little bit worse yesterday (if that was even conceivable), and subsequently will be a little better for it in the future

-Rex is definitely gone now

-The Jets will see if they have a QB on the roster for the future.

The Scouts and player personnel people better be ready, because next year is a big draft

true, true, true and absolutely true.

He is a good DC, but he has no business being a head coach. 

The Problem is ownership. We have a spooled brat Richie Rich douchebag for an owner. 

I call him 'the Turnip' and as long as he has a role in ANY football decision it will turn out badly. He kept Rex because "he reminds me of my uncle" now is THAT any kind of reason? He handcuffed his GM, made his HC look like a dead man walking and has the fan base totally pissed off. Great job Turnip...now you should decide who the team drafts since you have such a grasp of football related matters.

You know, if Rex didn't run his mouth like a big buffoon the first 2 years (with nothing to back it up BTW) maybe people don't attack as much . Rex made his own bed and the writing was clearly on the wall, that due to his actions, if the team started going south, it was going to get ugly fast. Many people on this board warned about this type of scenario and in all honestly I don't hate Rex but Rex made his own bed and now he's gonna pay for it.

Exactly right, and BTW I do hate Rex. For all the above and then some.

Since the Jets have not had a GM or player evaluator in a long time (ever?) that was an elite judge of talent, it would be nice to have a HC that could help in that regard. On both sides of the ball, not just defense.  

Ryan is no more qualified to help evaluate in the search for the QB position than Perez Hilton was at beauty pagents.

Since the Jets have not had a GM or player evaluator in a long time (ever?) that was an elite judge of talent, it would be nice to have a HC that could help in that regard. On both sides of the ball, not just defense.  

Ryan is no more qualified to help evaluate in the search for the QB position than Perez Hilton was at beauty pagents.

He doesn't do well with "gotta have" fullbacks either ...

How appropriate.

Send in the Clowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnwJ5KIcKX4

From the wiki...

The dramatic performer must take on the character of Desirée: a woman who finally realizes that she has misspent her youth on the shallow life. She is both angry and sad, and both must be seen in the performance. Two important examples are the contrast between the lines, "Quick, send in the clowns" and "Well, maybe next year." Sondheim teaches that the former should be steeped in self-loathing, while the latter should emphasize regret.[6] Thus, the former is clipped, with a break between "quick" and "send," while the latter "well" is held pensively

Sondheim himself apologizes for flaws in his composition. For example, in the line, "Well, maybe next year," the melodic emphasis is on the word year but the dramatic emphasis must be on the word next:

The word "next" is important: "Maybe next year" as opposed to "this year". [Desirée means,] "All right, I've screwed it up this year. Maybe next year I'll do something right in my life." So [it's] "well, maybe next year" even though it isn't accented in the music. This is a place where the lyric and the music aren't as apposite as they might be, because the important word is "next", and yet the accented word is "year". That's my fault, but [something the performer must] overcome.[7]

Quick, send in the clowns...Well maybe next year...and the Clown is our reward.

Did I say that with enough self loathing?

Yes, he's a great defensive mind, but he's flawed as a head coach.  Putting in Sanchez behind the third string offensive line late in the game was brainless. 

Plus, you would have a hard time identifying the players who have developed under Rex.  Is he a great teacher?  I think the verdict is still out on that one. 

I'm just pissed about last night although in the long run it might not matter that much.

I also wish he would just keep his mouth shut sometimes.  I don't want to hear about how this a top 5 defense until we win a couple of games...in the regular season. 

Yes, he's a great defensive mind, but he's flawed as a head coach.  Putting in Sanchez behind the third string offensive line late in the game was brainless. 

Plus, you would have a hard time identifying the players who have developed under Rex.  Is he a great teacher?  I think the verdict is still out on that one. 

I'm just pissed about last night although in the long run it might not matter that much.

I also wish he would just keep his mouth shut sometimes.  I don't want to hear about how this a top 5 defense until we win a couple of games...in the regular season. 

Revis, Cro, Wilkerson, Harris. I think Rex's ability to coach and teach defense is unquestionable. What I question is his ability to run an entire program.

This is the "which candidate would you rather sit down and have a beer with?" question that gets asked every election cycle. People who back Rex are simply not being objective about Rex. They like Rex because he's a good ol' boy.

Absolutely this. So sickening that this buffoon still has supporters.

Revis, Cro, Wilkerson, Harris. I think Rex's ability to coach and teach defense is unquestionable. What I question is his ability to run an entire program.

Agree. The d-line is the perfect summation of Rex. No doubt that Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson are going to make a great d-line eventually (hopefully soon). And there is no doubt that Rex had a major role in the organization (spanning two different GMs) deciding to use a 1st round pick on d-linemen 3 years in a row. But at what sacrifice to the needs of the rest of the program?

And Rex can't hide his share of the blame in picking Sanchez. He had to know that pick would make or break his career with the Jets. What did he say at the time? "Oh, OK, if that is who you guys think can be our franchise QB is, that is fine with me. I'm just a humble rookie HC". And there certainly were many experts who were very critical of the Jets moving up to get a one year college starter at the time. Including a lot of people on this board. 

Again with Geno Smith. I am not saying already this guy will be a bust, but his pick in the second round was very controversial. And he is hardly off to the kind of start that would indicate those critics did not know what they were talking about. Now, maybe Rex and the new GM had a drawn out battle over the pick. We may never know. But I kind of doubt it. Simply because Rex has  shown no expertise in judging offensive talent or running an organization.

He knows defense and he knows feet. 

I completely agree.

Who's the option? Darrell Bevell? Would anyone have ever heard of him if he didn't have Russell Wilson at QB? Would anyone be questioning Rex's ability to coach if he had Russell Wilson?

People are gonna miss Rex sooner than they think if/when Idzik fires him. There are a lot worse coaches out there, only they don't say things.

I'm gonna go on record now that I will NEVER miss Rex Ryan.  I despise his stupid ass.  If I never have to see his face or hear his stupid comments again, it will be too soon.  He's dead to me.  The Jets would/will never win anything with Rex as a glorified DC.  I want someone who understand what the HC position entails, has a brain, and knows how to lead.  Rex is a very good DC, but he's a lousy HC, and unfortunately, he was hired as the HC of the Jets, NOT the DC.

It's definitely setting up to be a mess. I'm still not convinced that Rex is dying to start Sanchez or that Idzik is dying to see Geno start immediately--I think both guys know that Geno needs a lot of work. What I imagine is going on there is that Rex and Mornhinweg want the autonomy to do what they want, but they're being told to not completely bury Geno. It's in Mornhinweg's best interest to invest 100% of his time into turning Sanchez into Alex Smith and 0% into trying to coach up a raw rookie to half-decency. The Jets are trying to halfway it--give Sanchez the job, but bring Geno along because it's in the best long-term interests of the club. Rex and Mornhinweg have no long-term interests in the club, and turning Geno into an NFL QB by Week 15 does absolutely zero for them.

The real mess will come, however, with guys like Holmes and Cromartie, who are playing for their next deals. If the team goes south quickly, all these guys (including the coaches) on one-year contracts are going to pull the ripcord and bail. This could get Kotite-era ugly.

You don't think that if Mornhinweg turns Geno into a quality NFL QB by week 15, he won't get a new contract here or have other clubs clamoring for him to be their OC or HC?  I do. I couldn't disagree with you more regarding whether developing Geno will help Mornhinweg.  The rest I agree with.

It has possibilities to be WORSE than kotite. Kotite was a sympathetic figure who was placed into a no-win situation. Rex has helped create his no-win situation, and will burn at the stake like a witch should it go very bad. Chances of that happening, probably 50-50 now.

Huh?  How was Kotite sympathetic and/or placed into a no-win situation?  Kotite created the no-win situation (literally) with the Jets.  He was soft, shortened practices so he could avoid traffic and was a totally clueless doofus as a HC.

Okay, maybe I 'm still mad from last night.  I'll give you Cro, Wilkerson (especially), and Harris.  Revis was  a special player.  He would have been an all pro under a merely competent coach imo. 

He's a very good defensive coach.  He wasn't thinking last night though when he put Sanchez in the game, and he may have lost the season. There are other good teaches in the game too. Rex is not irreplaceable.  Sorry, that's what I think. 

You don't think that if Mornhinweg turns Geno into a quality NFL QB by week 15, he won't get a new contract here or have other clubs clamoring for him to be their OC or HC? I do. I couldn't disagree with you more regarding whether developing Geno will help Mornhinweg. The rest I agree with.

I think that Smith is a looooong way away from being ready to play effectively, meaning Mornhinweg will be holding him together with scotch tape by the time Week 15 rolls around. Mornhinweg will be remembered more for the 45-3 ass-whooping the Pats/Saints/Falcons throw on us than the 21-17 wins Geno might eke out in late December.

Okay, maybe I 'm still mad from last night. I'll give you Cro, Wilkerson (especially), and Harris. Revis was a special player. He would have been an all pro under a merely competent coach imo.

He's a very good defensive coach. He wasn't thinking last night though when he put Sanchez in the game, and he may have lost the season. There are other good teaches in the game too. Rex is not irreplaceable. Sorry, that's what I think.

Revis and Cro were Pro Bowlers before Rex got here. Can someone point to how Harris got better under Rex? Rex's big success story is Sione Pouha, who sucked before he got here. Otherwise, that's it.

I think that Smith is a looooong way away from being ready to play effectively, meaning Mornhinweg will be holding him together with scotch tape by the time Week 15 rolls around. Mornhinweg will be remembered more for the 45-3 ass-whooping the Pats/Saints/Falcons throw on us than the 21-17 wins Geno might eke out in late December.

Could be.  I think that Geno has a lot to learn, but am not sure it will take as long as you think it will.  

Revis and Cro were Pro Bowlers before Rex got here. Can someone point to how Harris got better under Rex? Rex's big success story is Sione Pouha, who sucked before he got here. Otherwise, that's it.

I don't know.  I kind of agree with the overall sentiment but that seems a little reductive.  Even Revis improved his game in Rex's system.  All I was claiming was that Revis would have been a great regardless of the coach.  Cro became a better corner last year.  Who knows why? maturity? coaching?  Coples is going to develop. Wilk blossomed.  He can coach. I just don't think he's irreplaceable especially if he keeps committing massive f#ups. like last night. 

I think it's going to be a long time. He basically needs to learn everything short of throwing the forward pass.

If that's the case, he isn't the answer at QB, the Jets will be drafting a QB in the 1st round next year, and what happens to Geno is irrelevant, so they might as well play him and let him get the crap beat out of him because he won't be on the team next year or will compete for the backup job.

Archived