Kyle Wilson

kelticwizard

Pretty much got shown up by Hakeem Nicks.

I realize that he was with Nicks on the plays and Nicks mostly outmuscled him for the ball, but Wilson isn't large-most receivers are bigger than he.

If you're not big, you have to be in better position than just running alongside the receiver when the ball comes down.  You should be a step ahead of him and ready to put yourself into a better position to break up the play.

It looks like Wilson is the sort of CB who is good enough to stay with the receiver, but when the pass arrives and he has to hope it's not a very good pass so he can adjust and break it up.

He's always right there, he's just not great at getting his head around on passes.  He was fine though.  Nicks had one catch and forced 2 PI's on Wilson (1 was on the 34 yard catch), thats all he had.  I think Randle caught a pass on him.  

It happens.  No CB is perfect.  Even the great Revis would give up some receptions.  

The Giants QB's were 21/49, coverage was fine and so was Wilson. 

I keep saying: every summer we get at least one article about how Kyle Wilson has improved 1000%. and every year he is consistently embarrassed. granted, he hasn't been embarrassed during the regular season yet this year, but he will be if he doesn't TURN HIS F*CKING HEAD AROUND...which he still doesn't do. so it's only a matter of time.

Any QB/OC of value that we face will rack up plenty of yards on this bum as long as he's a Corner. Don't know how much he would hurt us at Safety. And true, he never knows where the ball is, but even when he's turned around on the ball he has zero instinct or inclination to go for it. Near worthless. 

I have to say I'm surprised (over time, not suddenly surprised) that this aspect of the game has never really improved with him.  I mean it was evident in that first Ravens game he started after Revis held out all summer.  But I figured he did a pretty good job of sticking with his guy, and just needs to put the cherry on top and learn to turn around. Not too shabby for a rookie in his first game, all things considered.  Even if it didn't take only a week or two to develop, in no way did I figure it would still be an issue years later in his 4th season.  And it's not like he didn't learn behind some great CBs and some great coaching.  I really thought he was 90% of the way there right away as a rookie and by the end of the season - if it even took that long - he'd be solid enough to start and even be an above average starter.  Kid must have nothing but air between his ears.

Wilson would make a good Free Safety, but I get the impression Rex likes two hitter at the Safety position. Our Pass D was never more Stella than when we had Rhodes in Rex's first year.

We have slow Linebackers and Safteys. This would be a good move. I'm just upset Berry got injured in Camp.

Wilson would make a good Free Safety, but I get the impression Rex likes two hitter at the Safety position. Our Pass D was never more Stella than when we had Rhodes in Rex's first year.

We have slow Linebackers and Safteys. This would be a good move. I'm just upset Berry got injured in Camp.

I tend to agree. His entire problem is his inability to get his head turned around, putting him in a position where he's facing the QB would be a huge advantage for him. I think the issue with moving him is two-fold. One, like you said, Rex likes violence from the position. But I also think Wilson is still one of the top two or three CBs on the team. Rex's dee is heavily reliant on the CB position, and he can't afford to weaken it. I think he'll get work at safety this year, and that work will increase as Rex gains confidence in Milliner, and the #4 & 5 CBs on the team.

I tend to agree. His entire problem is his inability to get his head turned around, putting him in a position where he's facing the QB would be a huge advantage for him. I think the issue with moving him is two-fold. One, like you said, Rex likes violence from the position. But I also think Wilson is still one of the top two or three CBs on the team. Rex's dee is heavily reliant on the CB position, and he can't afford to weaken it. I think he'll get work at safety this year, and that work will increase as Rex gains confidence in Milliner, and the #4 & 5 CBs on the team.

I think having him facing the qb would help but would also take away his biggest strength. The dude can flat out run. he is right with his guy normally just has no idea balls about to come

Kyle Wilson is not a good CB. He is a chaser and never turns his head around. Yet, he is the first to start celebrating on an overthrow...like he was the one to cause the incompletion. I was at the Jets-Giants game and the #20 became synonymous with Pass Interference. The Guy is just not good. I'd suggest Isaiah Trufant as the Slot guy and Lankster as the backup for Milliner. Wilson is not good at all. You have to have your head on a swivel and he does not have a swivel at all.

LL

I have to say I'm surprised (over time, not suddenly surprised) that this aspect of the game has never really improved with him.  I mean it was evident in that first Ravens game he started after Revis held out all summer.  But I figured he did a pretty good job of sticking with his guy, and just needs to put the cherry on top and learn to turn around. Not too shabby for a rookie in his first game, all things considered.  Even if it didn't take only a week or two to develop, in no way did I figure it would still be an issue years later in his 4th season.  And it's not like he didn't learn behind some great CBs and some great coaching.  I really thought he was 90% of the way there right away as a rookie and by the end of the season - if it even took that long - he'd be solid enough to start and even be an above average starter.  Kid must have nothing but air between his ears.

I'll never forget Rex's public celebration over drafting him.

I have to wonder to what extent the Jets seem committed to Wilson due to his draft pick status and not on the merits.  I suppose he's okay as the nickel, but forget about covering a starting wideout in man coverage.  At this point it looks like he will never get there.

I'll never forget Rex's public celebration over drafting him.

I was celebrating with him, thought Wilson was going to be the steal of the draft.   Still a pretty good slot guy, just really struggles outside.

Can't really consider him a bust, he was picked what?  28?   Gets plenty of playing time, just not an impact player

I was celebrating with him, thought Wilson was going to be the steal of the draft.   Still a pretty good slot guy, just really struggles outside.

Can't really consider him a bust, he was picked what?  28?   Gets plenty of playing time, just not an impact player

Wouldn't call him a bust, but certainly not what you would want out of a first round DB.  And certainly not meriting a diatribe about how he should have been drafted top 10.

Pretty much got shown up by Hakeem Nicks.

I realize that he was with Nicks on the plays and Nicks mostly outmuscled him for the ball, but Wilson isn't large-most receivers are bigger than he.

If you're not big, you have to be in better position than just running alongside the receiver when the ball comes down.  You should be a step ahead of him and ready to put yourself into a better position to break up the play.

It looks like Wilson is the sort of CB who is good enough to stay with the receiver, but when the pass arrives and he has to hope it's not a very good pass so he can adjust and break it up.

His problem is that he lacks recovery speed. He NEVER turns his head to find the ball and ALWAYS sticks an arm in there which will draw a flag nine times out of 10. He is a bust as surely as Vernon Gholston was. Cut his ass and be done with it.

Or the fans' celebration on Jets websites.  He was the steal of the first round.

I never thought so and I think that Rex's display was one reason I started to doubt his ability to keep the good times rolling. Lots of people had third round grades on Wilson, yet Rex acted like we 'stole' Deion Sanders. Mistakes like Wilson in the draft have been what kept the Jets from progressing after two positive years.

I never thought so and I think that Rex's display was one reason I started to doubt his ability to keep the good times rolling. Lots of people had third round grades on Wilson, yet Rex acted like we 'stole' Deion Sanders. Mistakes like Wilson in the draft have been what kept the Jets from progressing after two positive years.

Lots of people had Wilson slotted to be go earlier than we took him.  It was far from just Rex.  Certainly far more people than gave him a 3rd round grade.

He was a first round pick.  In hindsight he was just a bad one is all.

And he didn't really cause us to not progress since Revis and Cromartie are both far better anyway.  Revis got hurt last year, but we were going to be lousy anyway and I don't recall many winnable games being sure wins but for the singular suckiness of Kyle Wilson.

The worst ball awareness and instincts I have ever seen. He is better in the slot because a lot of the routes slot receivers run are shallower and allow him to play behind facing the QB. Much better suited for zone than man to man.

Maybe he has been suffering from a stiff neck for 4 years?

The worst ball awareness and instincts I have ever seen. He is better in the slot because a lot of the routes slot receivers run are shallower and allow him to play behind facing the QB. Much better suited for zone than man to man.

Really? That you've ever seen?

Heh. I am sure he can turn his head, but as others have said he seems to have no awareness of where the ball is.  None.

Kyle Wilson and Vernon Gholston should both be contributing to this team if they weren't  such terrible draft picks.

Good point because the Jets havent consistently had one of the the best pass defenses in the league, in which, Kyle Wilson plays a huge part of...so yeah, he's really not contributing much and is a terrible pick.  I mean, how dare he allow a receiver to catch a pass on him.  Because, lord knows, it doesnt happen every single game, every single drive, every single year.  No CB in the league allows WR's to catch passes vs. them yet QB's complete 20-30 passes a game and over 50 WR's caught 60+ balls last year.  

Look the bottom line is that you don't pick a CB in the first round to play slot CB. The truth is the guy sucked on the outside and found a palatable home in the slot. However, I am now convinced that Trufant is a better and cheaper player than Wilson and there is no way re-sign him after the contract is over unless its for depth (2nd string slot cover CB).

LL

Archived