•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Kyle Wilson

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

The worst ball awareness and instincts I have ever seen. He is better in the slot because a lot of the routes slot receivers run are shallower and allow him to play behind facing the QB. Much better suited for zone than man to man.

Maybe he has been suffering from a stiff neck for 4 years?

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

#27 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

The worst ball awareness and instincts I have ever seen. He is better in the slot because a lot of the routes slot receivers run are shallower and allow him to play behind facing the QB. Much better suited for zone than man to man.

Really? That you've ever seen?

PatriotReign37, on 10 Sept 2014 - 10:56 AM, said: Oh the ironing.

#28 Big Blocker

Big Blocker

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Heh. I am sure he can turn his head, but as others have said he seems to have no awareness of where the ball is.  None.

#29 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,881 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Kyle Wilson and Vernon Gholston should both be contributing to this team if they weren't  such terrible draft picks.

Good point because the Jets havent consistently had one of the the best pass defenses in the league, in which, Kyle Wilson plays a huge part of...so yeah, he's really not contributing much and is a terrible pick.  I mean, how dare he allow a receiver to catch a pass on him.  Because, lord knows, it doesnt happen every single game, every single drive, every single year.  No CB in the league allows WR's to catch passes vs. them yet QB's complete 20-30 passes a game and over 50 WR's caught 60+ balls last year.  

Posted Image

#30 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,264 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

He's just not a fluid athlete. Even when he's returning kicks he runs stiff.

#31 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Really? That you've ever seen?

Yes. I have never seen a CB who never turned his head around. And as far as I know, No Neck Williams only played baseball. Never football.

#32 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

maybe just have him stay on the jets sidelines and have a coach run with him and yell BALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

when its released ?

oh wait, most sidelines already do that

“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#33 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Yes. I have never seen a CB who never turned his head around. And as far as I know, No Neck Williams only played baseball. Never football.

Dude, he allowed one catch to a damn good WR. 

That's literally the only thing that matters. 

#34 Latinlawyer

Latinlawyer

The JetNation Godfather

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Look the bottom line is that you don't pick a CB in the first round to play slot CB. The truth is the guy sucked on the outside and found a palatable home in the slot. However, I am now convinced that Trufant is a better and cheaper player than Wilson and there is no way re-sign him after the contract is over unless its for depth (2nd string slot cover CB).

LL

Posted Image Fat Head!

#35 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

the PI's actually count, but wouldn't be called if he TURNED HIS DAMNED HEAD AROUND

#36 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Pass interference matters too. And I am talking about a 4 year career of stiffness, not this last game.

#37 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,881 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Which was probably the funniest part of this thread that has gone untouched, "he pretty much got shown up by Nicks"  really?  1 catch?  

Remember when Nicks had 10 catches for 109 yards on Devon McCourty in the SB?  You know, the guy selected ahead of Wilson?  How you define that outing for McCourty? 

the PI's actually count, but wouldn't be called if he TURNED HIS DAMNED HEAD AROUND

Oh, oops.  2 PI's, 1 of them being committed on his only reception of the game.  Thats like, totally shown up and stuff. 

Edited by JiF, 26 August 2013 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

#38 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

One catch.

#39 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Which was probably the funniest part of this thread that has gone untouched, "he was pretty much got shown up by Nicks"  really?  1 catch?  

Remember when Nicks had 10 catches for 109 yards on Devon McCourty in the SB?  You know, the guy selected ahead of Wilson?  How you define that outing for McCourty? 

Oh, oops.  2 PI's, 1 of them being committed on his only reception of the game.  Thats like, totally shown up and stuff. 

Have you been watching Wilson the last 4 years? Particularly when he is on the outside playing man to man?

#40 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

you can tell who didn't watch the game, or doesn't understand basic corner play

he's a guaranteed big play for the offense. you know it comes up in scouting reports.  if you think it matters if he gives up a 35 yard catch or 35 yard PI, good for you

have a cookie

#41 NJ

NJ

• Members
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Right. Penalty yards are make believe. That's all this fool can do is grab a jersey or an arm because he's not focused on grabbing the ball or even deflecting it for that matter. Tough to do either when you don't know where it is. And even when he's halfway turned around on it he'd much rather interfere than grab the ball. (1st PI Sat night) 

NATION....... JETNATION

#42 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

actually yes, when you are close enough to interfere, don't get your head around, actually do interfere and the WR still makes the catch, that's like totes bad and stuff

#43 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Right. Penalty yards are make believe. That's all this fool can do is grab a jersey or an arm because he's not focused on grabbing the ball or even deflecting it for that matter. Tough to do either when you don't know where it is. And even when he's halfway turned around on it he'd much rather interfere than grab the ball. (1st PI Sat night) 

Smart people who know football disagree with you:

http://forums.jetnat...le +wilson +pff

#44 NJ

NJ

• Members
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Smart people who know football disagree with you:

http://forums.jetnat...le +wilson +pff

Not so smart people who don't know so much about football give flowery praise to a corner about that allows 1 catch (when it was 2) and fails to mention the 3 PI penalties 2 of which would have been catches as well.  

The false read in those metrics will play out in exact proportion to how much Wilson is on the field this season.

NATION....... JETNATION

#45 Latinlawyer

Latinlawyer

The JetNation Godfather

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Anyone who was at the game or paid close attention on the TV coverage would have seen Kyle Wilson exposed as a bad CB.

1) He never turned his head around on plays.

2) He lacked closing speed.

3) He grabbed the WR when he was beat.

4) Committed 3 PI penalties.

If you are the Opposing QB and you see Wilson on the Outside....have your WR run a Fly or Streak and let it rip...one of three things will happen

1) You will get a PI against Wilson for considerable yardage.

2) You will gain considerable yardage through a completion.

3) You will overthrow your target and Kyle will clap like he caused the overthrow.

Kyle Wilson is a bad cover corner on the outside. He is marginally ok on the slot receivers. I still say Isiah Trufant is a better slot CB than Kyle. So that leaves Kyle as a Dime back or Special teamer.

LL

Posted Image Fat Head!

#46 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,881 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Have you been watching Wilson the last 4 years? Particularly when he is on the outside playing man to man?

Yes, in fact, I have.  He always right there with his man, often doesnt get his eyes on the ball in time. I've also seen him get over 70% of the snaps on defense while playing secondary on the league best pass D.  

actually yes, when you are close enough to interfere, don't get your head around, actually do interfere and the WR still makes the catch, that's like totes bad and stuff

Why?  Do you get extra yards now for that even after you decline the penalty? 

Posted Image

#47 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yes, in fact, I have.  He always right there with his man, often doesnt get his eyes on the ball in time. I've also seen him get over 70% of the snaps on defense while playing secondary on the league best pass D.  

Correct. I did not say he was the worst CB I have ever seen, only the worst in ball awareness. To be fair, his speed and route detection (which he probably picked up from Revis) is actually very good. Rarely does anyone get much separation from him. And that is not insignificant. That causes the opposing QB to have a smaller window and sometime have to adjust his pass trajectory, which certainly cuts down on accuracy.

In the slot where the receivers are generally running underneath patterns and playing in a zone is where he can live without too much harm. On the outside in man to man, his one blatant weakness is horribly exposed.

Edited by DMaynard, 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#48 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,618 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Not only has he been terrible in coverage with penalties and getting beat- he stupidly contratulates himself for a poor throw by the QB

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#49 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not only has he been terrible in coverage with penalties and getting beat- he stupidly contratulates himself for a poor throw by the QB

To be fair, like I just said, tight coverage can lead to poor throws. But so can pass rush pressure and just simply, bad throws. He should not act like he just made a great play. Turn your damn head around, Igor, and have a chance to go for the ball instead of hoping for a poor pass!!!

#50 NJ

NJ

• Members
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

To be fair, like I just said, tight coverage can lead to poor throws. But so can pass rush pressure and just simply, bad throws. He should not act like he just made a great play. Turn your damn head around, Igor, and have a chance to go for the ball instead of hoping for a poor pass!!!

I'm beyond hoping that he quits acting like an imbecile with his after the whistle, delusional antics. I just hope we can get somebody up to speed as a nickle and try him at safety or anywhere that minimizes his toast exposure.

NATION....... JETNATION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users