Sign in to follow this  
Lizard King

Jets cut Joe McKnight & 13 other new free agents

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

If his draft picks turn out to be good,  hit or miss throw away free agents to build a team every year are worth the risks.  But if his draft picks suck,  and his free agent pickups are just terrible or don't even play,  it' becomes a sad state of affairs.   

We really can't judge the rookies at this point.  But in this day and age, it's always about the here and now.   If some other teams picks wind up with pro bowl numbers while your guys wind up warming the bench, if that, then you'll be blasted.    And sometimes deservedly so.     The Revis vs Millner debate will go on for years.  And if Revis and the Bucs make the playoffs while Millner struggles and the Jets are 3-13,  why wouldnt' people say something.   

It's easy to say something after the fact.  Yeah if Milner becomes just as good as Revis in 3-4 years,  people will jump on the bandwagon.  But if the Bucs win and the Jets stink for 3-4 years,  it wasn't really an improvement.  And QBs are always rated.   EJ Manual vs Geno Smith will be this years defacto "who is better" and considering it's the Bills and Jets, even more so.   If they both suck, nobody cares. If one is good and the other sucks, people will compare.   That's the way it always is and always should be.     Everybody wants to predict the future.  

If his draft picks turn out to be good,  hit or miss throw away free agents to build a team every year are worth the risks.  But if his draft picks suck,  and his free agent pickups are just terrible or don't even play,  it' becomes a sad state of affairs.   

We really can't judge the rookies at this point.  But in this day and age, it's always about the here and now.   If some other teams picks wind up with pro bowl numbers while your guys wind up warming the bench, if that, then you'll be blasted.    And sometimes deservedly so.     The Revis vs Millner debate will go on for years.  And if Revis and the Bucs make the playoffs while Millner struggles and the Jets are 3-13,  why wouldnt' people say something.   

It's easy to say something after the fact.  Yeah if Milner becomes just as good as Revis in 3-4 years,  people will jump on the bandwagon.  But if the Bucs win and the Jets stink for 3-4 years,  it wasn't really an improvement.  And QBs are always rated.   EJ Manual vs Geno Smith will be this years defacto "who is better" and considering it's the Bills and Jets, even more so.   If they both suck, nobody cares. If one is good and the other sucks, people will compare.   That's the way it always is and always should be.     Everybody wants to predict the future.  

But with more money to spend, they could make better pickups.  They had no money this year.

I don't consider some of Idzik's pickups to be pickups in the traditional sense.  I consider some of what he has done to be dumpster diving, and very hit or miss.

+1

Peterman isn't and wasn't enough of a guy to have been considered even a mid-tier FA signing. 

I don't consider some of Idzik's pickups to be pickups in the traditional sense.  I consider some of what he has done to be dumpster diving, and very hit or miss.

I agree. I think that is why he went for a bunch of guys with injury histories.  If they are healthy they are more likely to contribute.  If not, they aren't blocking anybody.  

I agree with this, but I don't expect the guy to continue the bargain basement FA shopping.  I think that was one time thing. The cap situation should be fairly tenable next season.  He will be able to make some moves and add some bodies.  At least mid-level guys rather than this.

I'm a little torn on the Peterman cut. On the downside, it's another failed veteran pickup by Idzik. But on the plus side, they saw that he wasn't working out and cut a brand new free agent pickup before the season started. That's something that never would've happened during the Bradway-Tannenbaum years.

Thank God they cut their losses.  He is the type of OL that can get your QB killed -- not that it matters much with the Jets.  He has statistically been at the bottom of a steaming, stinking pile of O-lineman when it comes to pass protection.  The Lion's were smart to get rid of him before Stafford suffered permanent injury.  Glad he is hitting the road.

I agree. I think that is why he went for a bunch of guys with injury histories.  If they are healthy they are more likely to contribute.  If not, they aren't blocking anybody.  

I agree with this, but I don't expect the guy to continue the bargain basement FA shopping.  I think that was one time thing. The cap situation should be fairly tenable next season.  He will be able to make some moves and add some bodies.  At least mid-level guys rather than this.

Hope your right, but not sure.  if I'm not mistaken they have like $10,000,000 in cap space right now