The QB eye test

Jacked4JetsFB

I have been all in with Geno since we drafted him, mainly because his name is not Sanchez. I am not a big college football fan, so I have not seen him play much prior to the two pre-season games this year. I really hope I am wrong, but to me, Geno does not pass the eye test of an NFL QB. Forget about the interceptions, I could care less about them in a meaningless pre-season game against a top flight defense in his first start. I mean just watching him play the QB position, he does not look like a good NFL QB. His mechanics, his comfort level back there in the pocket, his presence as a QB, everything about him. He has a strong arm and throws a nice spiral, but that to me is where it ends.

I know a lot of guys pass the eye test, but suck as a QB, but I cannot think of one guy who is a really good NFL QB who fails the QB eye test. The closest who comes to my mind is Romo, but I think he sucks, others may disagree, and he looks comfortable, just has a really awkward throwing motion.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't like the looks of Geno as a QB.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the eye test is a real thing, for example Sheldon Richardson is a player who passes the eye test. As soon as you see him on the field you know he's special. 

Geno vs Mark we will look back at this as herpes vs crabs. Two bad options. 

How did you end up choosing?

This is crazy....I mean did he paly awful? Yes. But he is a rookie that made rookie mistakes. Something like staring down receivers is a result of this kid pressing to make sure he doesn't turn the ball over, which coincidentally resulted in turnovers. He knew all he ahd to do was play mistake free to win that job and he choked. I'm not surprised though because he is a rookie. I don't see how we can judge him on a single preseason game. This kid didn't even come from a pro style offense.

I know after that performance I am in the minority here but I STILL take Geno over Sanchez. Its easier to tolerate rookie mistakes from a rookie than rookie mistakes from a 5 year starter.

This is crazy....I mean did he paly awful? Yes. But he is a rookie that made rookie mistakes. Something like staring down receivers is a result of this kid pressing to make sure he doesn't turn the ball over, which coincidentally resulted in turnovers. He knew all he ahd to do was play mistake free to win that job and he choked. I'm not surprised though because he is a rookie. I don't see how we can judge him on a single preseason game. This kid didn't even come from a pro style offense.

I know after that performance I am in the minority here but I STILL take Geno over Sanchez. Its easier to tolerate rookie mistakes from a rookie than rookie mistakes from a 5 year starter.

I take anyone, anyone! over Sanchez. This has nothing to do with that dope.

I am not grading his performance, I don't care about his performance. All I am saying is when I watch him play the QB position, not the results, just watch him, he does not look like an NFL QB to me. That usually does not change. You either look like an NFL player or you dont. You can get much better, cut out mistakes, but he just does not look like a NFL QB to me, I hope I am wrong.

the eye test is a real thing, for example Sheldon Richardson is a player who passes the eye test. As soon as you see him on the field you know he's special. 

Geno vs Mark we will look back at this as herpes vs crabs. Two bad options. 

A couple of weeks back, wasn't it you that told me "the eye test" was faulty for determining defensive rankings?

I posted that sanchez stares down receivers, feels pressure that isn't there, has no instincts and can't extend plays.

someone who watched geno a lot said geno is the same player

thats kinda what I saw sat night

kinda scary

I take anyone, anyone! over Sanchez. This has nothing to do with that dope.

I am not grading his performance, I don't care about his performance. All I am saying is when I watch him play the QB position, not the results, just watch him, he does not look like an NFL QB to me. That usually does not change. You either look like an NFL player or you dont. You can get much better, cut out mistakes, but he just does not look like a NFL QB to me, I hope I am wrong.

Ok, fair enough. But you don't think that can change? To me he looked a little timid but I would expect that. For a preseason game I felt like there was ad ecent amount of pressure on him that he understood. He seems to be grasping the offense but is just making mistakes that he can correct. I think he looks like someone who has it in him to be a great player if he just relaxes and plays the game. I think him pressing and looking timid is playing a role in him "failing" the eye test.

I posted that sanchez stares down receivers, feels pressure that isn't there, has no instincts and can't extend plays.

kinda scary

Except Geno is that player in his ROOKIE year.

Not as scary.

For a rookie QB, isn't the eye test - has a strong arm and throws a nice spiral?  If he does that and has pocket presence and looks comfortable he usually isn't a rookie in his first start. 

Wouldn't it be-

-Footwork

-Motion and release

-Poise in the pocket

-Arm Strength

-Ability to sense rush

Matt?

kinda scary

I saw the same thing you speak of but lets be fair here.It was a raw rook going against the vaunted NYG d-line, one of the most aggressive in the league. Had to be at least a little bit intimidated, coming off an ankle injury, still learning to QB from under center etc. I think what we saw was what was expected. He did flash some ability, pass to Hiil comes to mind, shorter stuff led the rec better than #6 ever does. Weve seen Snachez have the same kinda game after 4 yrs in the NFL...........just sayin

For a rookie QB, isn't the eye test - has a strong arm and throws a nice spiral?  If he does that and has pocket presence and looks comfortable he usually isn't a rookie in his first start.

Exactly.

Geno is gonna be judged a little more harshly though because people wanted him to be the savior haha Which is strange when we have the worse (or at least one of the worst) QB's in the NFL. You would think anything would be better.

I cant count him out yet after 1 preseason game and anyone who is, is really being unfair here. He felt the pressure riding on him and made some bad rookie mistakes. I hope he relaxes and learns from them.

Except Geno is that player in his ROOKIE year.

Not as scary.

good point.  and going against a good defense that was game planning the game.  not a lot of weapons on is side.

the thing that jumped out at me was staring down his WR's waiting for them to come open.

if your #1 read is on the right, just give the safety something to think about by looking left as you drop back, and come back to it

the giants DB even mentioned it in the post game.  thats on his scouting report now

Geno needs help on:

Footwork

Huddle Presence

Ability to Sense Pressure

He has :

Strong Arm

Good Spiral

Can hit the long pass with velocity

I think a darkhorse is Matt Simms. That kid is going to be special. If they gave Matt a true shot instead of just slotting him in the third slot, he would turn heads.

LL

interesting how differently fans see the game.  I saw a very comfortable confident player.  He didnt look like the moment was too big for him.  Didnt get rattled by the mistakes.  Clearly, there were some things you'd like to see different but he's a rookie playing in his first ever NFL action, if you were expecting a spotless performance than you were fooling yourself.

I saw a pretty raw QB with a ton of promise.  

Ok, fair enough. But you don't think that can change? To me he looked a little timid but I would expect that. For a preseason game I felt like there was ad ecent amount of pressure on him that he understood. He seems to be grasping the offense but is just making mistakes that he can correct. I think he looks like someone who has it in him to be a great player if he just relaxes and plays the game. I think him pressing and looking timid is playing a role in him "failing" the eye test.

Of course it can change, but I don't ever recall seeing a QB who I thought did not "look like a QB" even young, develop into a good QB. There are some things that can be learned, and some things that cannot be learned. The things that bothered me about Geno the other day were things that are not learned, you either have it or you don't.

Pretty sure the broadcasters even made that exact remark, he didnt look like a rookie out there, even with the mistakes.  Pretty poised if you ask me. 

good point.  and going against a good defense that was game planning the game.  not a lot of weapons on is side.

the thing that jumped out at me was staring down his WR's waiting for them to come open.

if your #1 read is on the right, just give the safety something to think about by looking left as you drop back, and come back to it

the giants DB even mentioned it in the post game.  thats on his scouting report now

100% agree with you man! To me this was his biggest issue and I really believe that comes from know that the BIGGEST complaint against Sanchez is turning the ball over. So he was trying to really make absolutely sure receivers were opened before passing. Hopefully he realized that doesn't work in the NFL and adjusts.

Pretty sure the broadcasters even made that exact remark, he didnt look like a rookie out there, even with the mistakes.  Pretty poised if you ask me. 

I had no problem with his poise, nor his mistakes or the results at all. All I am saying is when I watch him play the QB position, he does not look like a good QB to me. The way he moves in the pocket, the way he looks down field, the way he delivers the ball, it does not look like a natural QB to me. He throws a nice ball for sure, and he did look poised, but the best way I can put it is he did not look at all like a natural QB. Almost like a really good athlete playing QB. Even Vick who I hate as a QB looks much more natural at the QB position to me, and I don't think he is awful as a QB, almost Sanchez awful.

Of course it can change, but I don't ever recall seeing a QB who I thought did not "look like a QB" even young, develop into a good QB. There are some things that can be learned, and some things that cannot be learned. The things that bothered me about Geno the other day were things that are not learned, you either have it or you don't.

Like what? I agree with JiF, he looked comfortable to me but was trying to make absolutely sure he was passing to an open guy. That was his biggest downfall and that is certainly correctable.

I disagree. There a million guys who have a strong arm and throw a nice spiral. They are not all NFL QB's. There is a certain look to an NFL QB, the way they drop back, the way they survey the field, the way they deliver the ball, the way they act, I did not see that from Geno. I could be dead wrong, and hope I am, but that is just what I observed.

Like what? I agree with JiF, he looked comfortable to me but was trying to make absolutely sure he was passing to an open guy. That was his biggest downfall and that is certainly correctable.

I don't care about the staring down receivers, that does not bother me from him at all this early on. The best way I can explain it is he looks like an athlete trying to play QB, rather than a QB playing QB.

I had no problem with his poise, nor his mistakes or the results at all. All I am saying is when I watch him play the QB position, he does not look like a good QB to me. The way he moves in the pocket, the way he looks down field, the way he delivers the ball, it does not look like a natural QB to me. He throws a nice ball for sure, and he did look poised, but the best way I can put it is he did not look at all like a natural QB. Almost like a really good athlete playing QB. Even Vick who I hate as a QB looks much more natural at the QB position to me, and I don't think he is awful as a QB, almost Sanchez awful.

Interesting.  I love how he delivers the ball.  Its my favorite aspect of his game.  He's got the classic over the top behind the ear release and ball comes out spinning very pretty.

And FWIW, you're working on a very small sample size which happened to be his first NFL action.  Perspective, my friend, perspective.  

I don't care about the staring down receivers, that does not bother me from him at all this early on. The best way I can explain it is he looks like an athlete trying to play QB, rather than a QB playing QB.

That's a pretty general critique dude. I'm not sure where you get that from but I guess we will see. He looked like a QB to me. Moved well in pocket, escaped pressure good (except for running out the back of the endzone, another rookie mistake).

kinda scary

Ughhh, yeah I kinda felt the same way after watching him on Saturday night. I wanted the Jets to draft him - but I did not watch a ton of him in college. To me he looked like a shorter Sanchez. Geno didn't pout though so that was a good sign. lol His pocket awareness was really, really bad. On the overthrow INT he stepped right into the blitz, and obviously the safety was bad too.

I agree with Bit, Richardson otoh looks like a beast. Matt Simms would be an example of someone who passes the eye test, just not sure if he will be good against better competition.

Idk bro. I thought Tannehill passed the eye test for me. He is going to be a great QB. Once they get on that NFL field, you can kind of just tell which ones are naturals and which ones are not. Most of the time this is correct, not 100% - but most times.

Ughhh, yeah I kinda felt the same way after watching him on Saturday night. I wanted the Jets to draft him - but I did not watch a ton of him in college. To me he looked like a shorter Sanchez. Geno didn't pout though so that was a good sign. lol His pocket awareness was really, really bad. On the overthrow INT he stepped right into the blitz, and obviously the safety was bad too.

I agree with Bit, Richardson otoh looks like a beast. Matt Simms would be an example of someone who passes the eye test, just not sure if he will be good against better competition.

Outside of the safety, I really just don't see this at all. He escaped the pocket a few times and looked real good doing it. He throws decent on the run as well. I'm surprised by what others saw.

I see a lot of potential in him too. Hopefully he gets another chance soon and gets it together.

interesting how differently fans see the game. I saw a very comfortable confident player. He didnt look like the moment was too big for him. Didnt get rattled by the mistakes. Clearly, there were some things you'd like to see different but he's a rookie playing in his first ever NFL action, if you were expecting a spotless performance than you were fooling yourself.

I saw a pretty raw QB with a ton of promise.

He ran out of the back of the end zone.

Interesting.  I love how he delivers the ball.  Its my favorite aspect of his game.  He's got the classic over the top behind the ear release and ball comes out spinning very pretty.

And FWIW, you're working on a very small sample size which happened to be his first NFL action.  Perspective, my friend, perspective.  

Of course it is a tiny sample, completely agree. He throws a nice ball, I don't dispute that at all.

Archived