Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Monday recap: What we learned

August, 26, 2013

Aug 26

8:23

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the sideline:

1. Mark Sanchez wins the QB competition: Rex Ryan didn't make the announcement, but he didn't have to. It became obvious Saturday night, when Geno Smith proved he isn't ready, and it was affirmed Monday with Ryan's non-answer on his quarterback plan. If Smith had won the job, it would've been easy to anoint him. But Ryan withheld his decision, pretending the competition still is ongoing. That's because his chosen starter -- Sanchez -- is banged up and may not be available for Week 1. Round and round we go.

2. Vladimir Ducasse is a starter -- finally: It took three years, but the former second-round pick has cracked the lineup at left guard. Ducasse, who appeared to be on his way to bust-dom, beat out veteran Stephen Peterman for the job. On Monday, the Jets released Peterman, all but confirming Ducasse's promotion. He's also listed with the starters on the team's latest depth chart. This isn't a season-long appointment; he will be pushed by third-round pick Brian Winters. Somewhere, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, Ducasse's most ardent supporter, is smiling.

3. Kenrick Ellis could get Pipp-ed before he starts a game: With Ellis nursing a bad back, second-year nose tackle Damon Harrison has stepped in nicely, earning lavish praise from Ryan. On Monday, Ryan opened his news conference with a video of Harrison and rookie receiver Ryan Spadola, highlighting their top plays from Saturday night. Harrison, who made the team last year as an undrafted rookie, made seven solo tackles, showing nice instincts, ball awareness and hustle. Ellis began camp as the presumptive starter on the nose, but he has missed two games and is in danger of losing the job to a man with the best nickname on the team -- Snacks.

#2 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,336 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yawn. And the news is where?

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

damon harrison has been awesome at NT. the DL really could be awesome. even without Coples for a bit. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 RUPat

RUPat

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

When the Pats cut Tebow we can pick him up. Aren't we still paying his salary? Of course he will not know the system, but he wasn't part of a system last year, anyway.

#5 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Monday recap: What we learned

August, 26, 2013

Aug 26

8:23

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the sideline:

1. Mark Sanchez wins the QB competition: Rex Ryan didn't make the announcement, but he didn't have to. It became obvious Saturday night, when Geno Smith proved he isn't ready, and it was affirmed Monday with Ryan's non-answer on his quarterback plan. If Smith had won the job, it would've been easy to anoint him. But Ryan withheld his decision, pretending the competition still is ongoing. That's because his chosen starter -- Sanchez -- is banged up and may not be available for Week 1. Round and round we go.

2. Vladimir Ducasse is a starter -- finally: It took three years, but the former second-round pick has cracked the lineup at left guard. Ducasse, who appeared to be on his way to bust-dom, beat out veteran Stephen Peterman for the job. On Monday, the Jets released Peterman, all but confirming Ducasse's promotion. He's also listed with the starters on the team's latest depth chart. This isn't a season-long appointment; he will be pushed by third-round pick Brian Winters. Somewhere, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, Ducasse's most ardent supporter, is smiling.

3. Kenrick Ellis could get Pipp-ed before he starts a game: With Ellis nursing a bad back, second-year nose tackle Damon Harrison has stepped in nicely, earning lavish praise from Ryan. On Monday, Ryan opened his news conference with a video of Harrison and rookie receiver Ryan Spadola, highlighting their top plays from Saturday night. Harrison, who made the team last year as an undrafted rookie, made seven solo tackles, showing nice instincts, ball awareness and hustle. Ellis began camp as the presumptive starter on the nose, but he has missed two games and is in danger of losing the job to a man with the best nickname on the team -- Snacks.

Cimini, you're a total moron.  No such thing will happen.  Did you see the Jax game? If not, go look at it.  Harrison looked awful.  He was pushed around all over the field.

Rex Ryan, the bag lady of NFL HCs.

#6 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

reading a LOT into Rex not naming a starter....I truly believe Rex does not know....he would likely chose Sanchez but it does not seem to really be his call

#7 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,058 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

No Rich....What "We" learned, where "we" collectively refers to you and other beat journalists, is that if you don't keep your reporting somewhat grounded in real fact you are going to get blown the **** up on the national news. Consider that a shot across the bow

#8 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

who doesn't want a NT with the nickname snacks? it's not the refrigerator but it's still cool

#9 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 57,549 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

damon harrison has been awesome at NT. the DL really could be awesome. even without Coples for a bit.

He was great this week but not so great against the jags.

#10 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,394 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Cimini, you're a total moron.  No such thing will happen.  Did you see the Jax game? If not, go look at it.  Harrison looked awful.  He was pushed around all over the field.

He bounced back vs. the Giants.  He was all over the field.  Ellis didnt look great vs. the Lions either.  So, if anything, its nice to see Harrison turn it around and really elevate his level of play.

If Harrison is actually a player, the flexibility that Rex will have with this DL is going to be fun to watch.

Posted Image

#11 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

I thought he did a decent job last year too with his limited opportunities.  This year he has indeed taken it to the next level.  Rex wasnt kidding when he got him some snacks.

#12 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

He bounced back vs. the Giants.  He was all over the field.  Ellis didnt look great vs. the Lions either.  So, if anything, its nice to see Harrison turn it around and really elevate his level of play.

If Harrison is actually a player, the flexibility that Rex will have with this DL is going to be fun to watch.

That's the key right there, flexibility.  I think Rex has shown that, when it comes to the DL, he's not going to get too hung up on one of these guys needing to be the starter and get all the playing time.  If Ellis gets healthy, he's going to be more than happy to have two guys who he can rely on at NT and play based on match-ups, as well as in a rotation to keep each other fresh.  Wilkerson is pretty much the only guy he's not going to want to take off that field unless he absolutely has to (although Richardson looks like he could soon join that list).  Combine that with the ability to move guys around when switching to a 4-man line and this is definitely a "the more, the merrier" kind of situation than anything.  Here's hoping everyone gets healthy and they can all keep it up.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#13 Big Blocker

Big Blocker

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

On the bit about Rex not saying who the starting Qb is...

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true.  That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?...  That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field.  By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

But that's not what he said, or is still saying as of yesterday.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things.  The first is evident, and painful.  he does not know how to manage the Qb position.  The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things.  He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way.  Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers.  But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan.  I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season.  That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means.  But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team.  It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

#14 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 32,179 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

This reads to me like Cimini sees the backlash directed at Mehta's sensationalist crap and is just lobbing up a fluff piece to make sure he doesn't draw any of the same ire.

Good ol' Rich, once a coward always a coward. He's the noodle arm of the beat writers for sure.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#15 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,112 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true. That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?... That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field. By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things. The first is evident, and painful. he does not know how to manage the Qb position. The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things. He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way. Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers. But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan. I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season. That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means. But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team. It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

welcome aboard. I'm not sure about the rest of your points, but I think you're right in that Rex doesn't always see tge big picture and leads to these huge blunders, like the one Saturday.

#16 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true.  That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?...  That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field.  By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things.  The first is evident, and painful.  he does not know how to manage the Qb position.  The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things.  He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way.  Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers.  But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan.  I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season.  That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means.  But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team.  It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

Rex had no power in this qb situation. John Idzik told the media two months ago he'd have the final say on QB issues. all of this BS about giving Geno a special extra chance to win the job is all Idzik. If it was up to Rex he'd have declared Mark the starter 2 weeks ago. Because despite everyone's hopes to the contrary, Mark earned it in OTA, camp and the games. And the giants game showed us all why Geno is actually worse than Mark right now. Anyone who is holding out hope for Geno to be better than Mark this year either didn't see the game or is living in denial. 

the blunder of putting in Mark is a Head coach trying to give Mark the reps he should have had behind the first team. If Rex made a mistake it wasn't in putting Mark in late. It was not putting his foot down and putting Mark in with the first team, where he belonged.

Edited by bitonti, 27 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#17 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,269 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Rex had no power in this qb situation. John Idzik told the media two months ago he'd have the final say on QB issues.

Hey, Manish, stop making things up.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#18 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yeah Harrison looked solid vs. the Giants. Wilson and Allen looked terrible. Can't believe Bush can't beat out Allen.

#19 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hey, Manish, stop making things up.

Idzik undercut the HC in public. and this rigged QB "competition" is proof

http://www.cbssports...have-a-big-role

So remember, if the Jets starting quarterback struggles this year, don't just blame Ryan. You can also blame Idzik, the offensive staff and the team's scouts.

Edited by bitonti, 27 August 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#20 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,269 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Final say= will have a big role.

Got it.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#21 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Final say= will have a big role.

Got it.

when you make the decision, it's a 'we' decision. It's not one individual.

-John Idzik

because football is a democracy right fellas 

#22 Big Blocker

Big Blocker

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Rex had no power in this qb situation. John Idzik told the media two months ago he'd have the final say on QB issues. all of this BS about giving Geno a special extra chance to win the job is all Idzik. If it was up to Rex he'd have declared Mark the starter 2 weeks ago. Because despite everyone's hopes to the contrary, Mark earned it in OTA, camp and the games. And the giants game showed us all why Geno is actually worse than Mark right now. Anyone who is holding out hope for Geno to be better than Mark this year either didn't see the game or is living in denial. 

the blunder of putting in Mark is a Head coach trying to give Mark the reps he should have had behind the first team. If Rex made a mistake it wasn't in putting Mark in late. It was not putting his foot down and putting Mark in with the first team, where he belonged.

First of all I doubt Idzik told Rex WHEN to put Sanchez in, or even that Sanchez had to play at all in this game.  Saying, which I do believe is the case, that It is not Rex's sole decision who is the starting Qb is obviously correct, but I don't think Rex could or even should have said who the starter was going to be in that post game presser since at that point he did not know whether MS would be able to play opening day.

But even if Idzik said we need to see MS in the Giant game, I cannot believe he would have said "and I want' to see him behind the second an third stringers."  That had to be on Rex, and that pure and simply was bad coaching.  And not only that it shows a willingness to gamble that has to concern all of us.

#23 dbatesman

dbatesman

FUGGER

• Members
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

because football is a democracy right fellas

hey where'd those goalposts go anyway

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#24 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Did you seriously just quote the comment from a sports writer?  Holy crap.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#25 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

First of all I doubt Idzik told Rex WHEN to put Sanchez in, or even that Sanchez had to play at all in this game.  Saying, which I do believe is the case, that It is not Rex's sole decision who is the starting Qb is obviously correct, but I don't think Rex could or even should have said who the starter was going to be in that post game presser since at that point he did not know whether MS would be able to play opening day.

But even if Idzik said we need to see MS in the Giant game, I cannot believe he would have said "and I want' to see him behind the second an third stringers."  That had to be on Rex, and that pure and simply was bad coaching.  And not only that it shows a willingness to gamble that has to concern all of us.

I agree with that statement. Idzik didn't tell Rex to put Mark in 4th quarter. But he did tell him to play Geno in quarters 1-3. Rex should have put his foot down and said I pick the starters, you pick the players and if you don't like it, pay my salary while I sit on the couch. that's Rex's mistake, not being more assertive. Putting Mark in is an attempt to get his likely starter reps. Let's be real Sanchez isn't Andrew Luck they don't have to wrap him in cotton wool because he's so valuable. But no Rex isn't blameless he needed to put an end to this terrible pointless endless QB competition. WHich apparently is still going on. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users