Goodson suspended 4 games

KSJets

So it gives him time to get into playing shape and learn the offense.  As KS said, it wasn't unexpected.

To a certain degree, yes.  But he'll have to do it on his own since I believe when a player is suspended they aren't allowed to have any contact with the team while they are suspended.

To a certain degree, yes.  But he'll have to do it on his own since I believe when a player is suspended they aren't allowed to have any contact with the team while they are suspended.

Crap!  That's right, I forgot about that little techicality!  LOL

Statement on Goodson suspension

August, 26, 2013

Aug 26

10:14

PM ET

By ESPNNewYork.com Staff

Recommend1

Tweet1

Comments0

Email

Print

STATEMENT BY AN NFL SPOKESPERSON

“Mike Goodson of the New York Jets has been suspended without pay for the team’s first four games of the 2013 regular season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.”

“Goodson will be eligible to return to the Jets’ active roster on Monday, September 30 following the team’s September 29 game against the Tennessee Titans.”

STATEMENT FROM THE NEW YORK JETS

“Mike Goodson returned to the team today after taking time away to focus on a personal matter. While we welcome Mike back to the organization, we have had direct conversations to make our expectations very clear as we work together to help him move forward in a positive manner, both on and off the field. During his suspension, Mike will be permitted to attend meetings and condition on an individual basis at our practice facility. However, he will not be permitted to practice or play.”

STATEMENT FROM MIKE GOODSON

“I’ve been away from the team to take care of some important personal things. The time was helpful to me and now that I am back, I am going to do everything I can to contribute to the team. I appreciate all of the support from the Jets organization and I’m thankful to be back with my teammates.”

Now that I think about it, I think the rules when you're suspended are different if it's for substance abuse as opposed to PED's.  I think if it's PED's you're barred from having contact with the team and substance abuse is that you just can't practice with the team.  At least I think that's what it is which would explain how he can still attend meetings and workout at the facility.

A nice look at Goodson rap sheet

http://deadspin.com/jets-running-back-returns-to-team-is-immediately-suspe-1207015632

Jets Running Back Returns To Team, Is Immediately Suspended

original.jpg
Related
k-small.gif
Rex Ryan Melts Down In Press Conference

I'm not sure a preseason game can ever be described as good, but they can definitely be bad and the Jets performance Saturday night was about as … Read…

Jets fans, are you still feeling bummed out about Mark Sanchez's injury, Rex Ryan's mini-meltdown, and the general ineptitude of your favorite football team? Well cheer up, because here comes some good news. Running back Mike Goodson has finally returned to the team after missing training camp due to personal issues. Goodson, who was signed in the off season, is a talented back who should really help solidify the Jets' backf—oh wait I'm sorry he's just been suspended for four games.

Goodson rejoined the Jets last night after being taken off the team's active/non-football injury list and was then immediately suspended by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. At this point, it appears that the Jets are incapable of creating good news.

Goodson's suspension also led to this wonderful ESPN New York story about his past legal troubles, which contains so many sad, Jets-y paragraphs that it's difficult to decide which one is the Jetsiest of all. Let's try, though:

At the time of the arrest, [Goodson] was so intoxicated that he was taken to a nearby hospital, according to police reports. He was the passenger in a vehicle that was stopped in the middle of Interstate 80 in New Jersey. Police say he was incoherent and had vomited on himself.

Getting so drunk that you pass out and vomit on yourself? That's pretty sad, but not Mark Sanchez-buttfumbling sad. Let's keep going:

Earlier, while with the Panthers, Goodson was sued three times by two apartment complexes in the Charlotte area, which demanded unpaid rent—ranging from $1,413 to $2,744, records show. In the two of the suits, records show he received eviction notices.

An NFL player failing to pay rent that is less than what a lot of New Yorkers pay? That's definitely just as Jets-y as Joe McKnight's sad journey through training camp, which ended with his release and this tweet.

And yet, neither of those paragraphs can compare to this one:

Jets owner Woody Johnson, speaking to reporters in June, said the team was willing to give Goodson a fair shake.

"We're trying to win games and do the right thing," he said. "Truth, justice and the American way."

God bless the Jets.

You can add this as well

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9603404/mike-goodson-new-york-jets-suspended-4-games

Archived