Mafia forum Jets/NFL/Fantasy football talk

AVM

I figured I'd start one of these so that A -- I'm still active in the mafia forum during the year and B -- I don't have to sift through all the folks in the main forum to get the 2 or 3 good posts amidst the "Jets suck Idzik sucks Rex is an idiot Sanchez sucks I miss Braylon" posts.

I don't think I've ever dreaded a pro season like this one.  I'm glad I play fantasy football because otherwise this year would most likely suck.  Maybe Geno progresses from the bench and looks decent down the stretch, who knows.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured I'd start one of these so that A -- I'm still active in the mafia forum during the year and B -- I don't have to sift through all the folks in the main forum to get the 2 or 3 good posts amidst the "Jets suck Idzik sucks Rex is an idiot Sanchez sucks I miss Braylon" posts.

I don't think I've ever dreaded a pro season like this one.  I'm glad I play fantasy football because otherwise this year would most likely suck.  Maybe Geno progresses from the bench and looks decent down the stretch, who knows.

Agree with you om the status of the main board...near unreadable...

Glad it's not just me.  I know we're all masochistic, miserable Jets fans but man...

Where are you playing Fantasy this year?  I joined the JN league plus another pay league on Yahoo.  Also intend to play at FanDuel all year...was really getting the hang of it by season's end last year.  Different format...chose a new team with a salary cap each week.  Idea is find the value each wek.  Highly recommend but a bit addictive.

I really want to avoid too much commentary on the Jets...I poke at some of the posters but understand their frustrations...I'm a long time fan but do not have the $$$ investment so many others have...the recent regimes and the national/local media attention doesn't help...2010 seems such a long time ago.

Where are you playing Fantasy this year?  I joined the JN league plus another pay league on Yahoo.  Also intend to play at FanDuel all year...was really getting the hang of it by season's end last year.  Different format...chose a new team with a salary cap each week.  Idea is find the value each wek.  Highly recommend but a bit addictive.

I really want to avoid too much commentary on the Jets...I poke at some of the posters but understand their frustrations...I'm a long time fan but do not have the $$$ investment so many others have...the recent regimes and the national/local media attention doesn't help...2010 seems such a long time ago.

I've got a couple of pay leagues with some friends that have been going a few years on ESPN.  Haven't played on yahoo in years...since Marshall Faulk was last the top pick, actually.  Haven't tried FanDuel...might have to check it out this week.

re: bold -- doesn't it though?

Despite the very near arrival of the baby, I've got my:

NY league - winning-est owner in league, need to represent (this one runs through CBSsports.com who just re-designed their interface, it's more attractive, but less intuitive - so the creative work is good, but the user experience design sucks)

I run another league on ESPN and belong to one on ESPN as well. Their site hasn't changed, but their app has. I did the online draft on their app the other day and it was an absolutely awesome user experience. It blows away their web-based solution.

I'm going to dabble with FanDuel this year. I had some correspondence with the owners a couple years ago when they first popped up. It tapered off when we both got too busy, I'd like to revisit though - they've done some really good work continually improving their product and interface.

Just had my draft in my "money league" last night (ESPN Standard, NOT PPR).  Let me know what you guys think:

1st round (# 7 overall):  CJ Spiller

2nd (# 14):  Maurice Jones-Drew

3rd (# 27):  Peyton Manning

4th (# 34):  Reggie Bush

5th (# 47):  Dwayne Bowe

6th (# 54):  Gronk

7th (# 67):  Cecil Shorts

8th (# 74):  Tavon Austin

9th (# 87):  Andre Brown

10th (# 94):  Vick

11th (# 107):  Lance Moore

12th (# 114):  Bernard Pierce

13th (# 127):  Cordarrelle Patterson

14th (# 134):  Jordan Cameron, TE, Browns*

15th (# 147):  Bucs D

16th (# 154):  Greg Zuerlein

*I'm considering dropping Cameron for Zach Sudfeld as my "TE handcuff" until Gronk is available.

Just had my draft in my "money league" last night (ESPN Standard, NOT PPR).  Let me know what you guys think:

1st round (# 7 overall):  CJ Spiller

2nd (# 14):  Maurice Jones-Drew

3rd (# 27):  Peyton Manning

4th (# 34):  Reggie Bush

5th (# 47):  Dwayne Bowe

6th (# 54):  Gronk

7th (# 67):  Cecil Shorts

8th (# 74):  Tavon Austin

9th (# 87):  Andre Brown

10th (# 94):  Vick

11th (# 107):  Lance Moore

12th (# 114):  Bernard Pierce

13th (# 127):  Cordarrelle Patterson

14th (# 134):  Jordan Cameron, TE, Browns*

15th (# 147):  Bucs D

16th (# 154):  Greg Zuerlein

*I'm considering dropping Cameron for Zach Sudfeld as my "TE handcuff" until Gronk is available.

I like it.  I probably would have waited on TE and taken the best available WR where you took Gronk, but if Gronk is Gronk, then no worries.  I just feel like TE is deep this year.  Love the Cameron pick, he's everyone's sleeper but for good reason.  WR is light.  Not sure who's scoring TD's for you out of that group unless Bowe returns to form.

Also, I'm adamant about not taking a QB high.  Especially this season with the depth at the position.  The way I see it this year.  First 5 rounds should be RB's and WR's.  You can get guys like Capernick or Luck in the 7th round.  

Here's one I did in my work league:

2#: Arian Foster

RD2: Steven Jackson

RD3: Brandon Marshall

RD4: Vincent Jackson

RD5: Roddy White

RD6: Steve Smith

RD7: Capernick

RD8: Dangelo Wiliams

RD9: Brandon Myers

various bench players; Chris Gibson, Jonathan Dwyer, Big Ben, Isiah Pead

In retrospect, I would have taken a RB over VJax since I still ended up with White and Smith.  I think David Wilson was still on the board.

I like it.  I probably would have waited on TE and taken the best available WR where you took Gronk, but if Gronk is Gronk, then no worries.  I just feel like TE is deep this year.  Love the Cameron pick, he's everyone's sleeper but for good reason.  WR is light.  Not sure who's scoring TD's for you out of that group unless Bowe returns to form.

Also, I'm adamant about not taking a QB high.  Especially this season with the depth at the position.  The way I see it this year.  First 5 rounds should be RB's and WR's.  You can get guys like Capernick or Luck in the 7th round.  

I was going to wait on QB as well but Peyton just kept falling and falling.  I figured for sure he'd be gone by the time it got to 27.  As it stood he was the best player on the board for me.  It was either him or Jimmy Graham and, as you mention, TE is deep.  Brandon Marshall was an option there as well but WR is so deep I decided to wait. 

Gronk fell into my lap in the 6th round and, again, he was by FAR the best player on my board.  He missed 5 weeks last year and was still the # 2 fantasy TE.  If I just got the # 2 TE in the 6th round, I call that a steal.

I really like Bowe as my WR1.  Consider that he's never had a QB anywhere close to being as good as Alex Smith (a sad statement but very true) and ALSO consider Andy Reid hasn't had a WR with the size-speed combo Bowe has since Terrell Owens, and we know how TO did.  I think he'll score enough TD's to make me happy.  Shorts is another story with his QB situation as it is, but again.....best player available.

Kaepernick was gone by the time the 7th round came about.

Here's one I did in my work league:

2#: Arian Foster

RD2: Steven Jackson

RD3: Brandon Marshall

RD4: Vincent Jackson

RD5: Roddy White

RD6: Steve Smith

RD7: Capernick

RD8: Dangelo Wiliams

RD9: Brandon Myers

various bench players; Chris Gibson, Jonathan Dwyer, Big Ben, Isiah Pead

In retrospect, I would have taken a RB over VJax since I still ended up with White and Smith.  I think David Wilson was still on the board.

Love it.  How many teams are in your league?  Can't believe you got Roddy and Kaepernick so late.

I was going to wait on QB as well but Peyton just kept falling and falling. I figured for sure he'd be gone by the time it got to 27. As it stood he was the best player on the board for me. It was either him or Jimmy Graham and, as you mention, TE is deep. Brandon Marshall was an option there as well but WR is so deep I decided to wait.

Gronk fell into my lap in the 6th round and, again, he was by FAR the best player on my board. He missed 5 weeks last year and was still the # 2 fantasy TE. If I just got the # 2 TE in the 6th round, I call that a steal.

I really like Bowe as my WR1. Consider that he's never had a QB anywhere close to being as good as Alex Smith (a sad statement but very true) and ALSO consider Andy Reid hasn't had a WR with the size-speed combo Bowe has since Terrell Owens, and we know how TO did. I think he'll score enough TD's to make me happy. Shorts is another story with his QB situation as it is, but again.....best player available.

Kaepernick was gone by the time the 7th round came about.

Good point on Bowe. I'm a bitter fantasy owner and he burned me one too many times

Agree with this here.  I picked up Wilson in the sixth.  

Here is my draft, scoring overview.

2 QB league, with points for completions, passing yards and 6pt / pass TD.

Points for reception, rush attempts and 6pt / TD for skill positions.

1st overall pick.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Julio Jones

3. Matt Ryan (top 5 QBs were gone already)

4. Sproles

5. Welker

6. Big Ben

7. Mendenhall

8. Ben Tate

9. TY Hilton

10. Bengals D (aggressive points for DST in this league)

11. Jared Cook

12. Jordan Cameron

13. Alshon Jeffrey

14. Knowshon Moreno

15. Greg Zuerlein

Starting lineup:

QB - Matt Ryan

QB - Big Ben

RB - AD

RB - Sproles (Mendy, Tate or Knowshown)

WR - Julio Jones

WR - Welker (TY or Alshon)

TE - Cook (or Cameron)

D - Bengals

DST - Zeurlein

2 top 10 QBs, #1 overall player, 1 top 5 WR, Sproles and Welker are PPR beasts, tons of high-yield value like TY Hilton, both TEs, Tate. I'm pretty happy with it, even though I typically never take a QB or D early.

Here is my draft, scoring overview.

2 QB league, with points for completions, passing yards and 6pt / pass TD.

Points for reception, rush attempts and 6pt / TD for skill positions.

1st overall pick.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Julio Jones

3. Matt Ryan (top 5 QBs were gone already)

4. Sproles

5. Welker

6. Big Ben

7. Mendenhall

8. Ben Tate

9. TY Hilton

10. Bengals D (aggressive points for DST in this league)

11. Jared Cook

12. Jordan Cameron

13. Alshon Jeffrey

14. Knowshon Moreno

15. Greg Zuerlein

Starting lineup:

QB - Matt Ryan

QB - Big Ben

RB - AD

WR - Julio Jones

TE - Cook (or Cameron)

D - Bengals

DST - Zeurlein

2 top 10 QBs, #1 overall player, 1 top 5 WR, Sproles and Welker are PPR beasts, tons of high-yield value like TY Hilton, both TEs, Tate. I'm pretty happy with it, even though I typically never take a QB or D early.

Hard not to reach for QB's in a 2-QB league, but I think it would have been better to wait and snag more RB's.  Is there really THAT much difference between Big Ben and, say.....Carson Palmer, who is going undrafted in many standard leagues?  Palmer was the 18th-ranked fantasy QB last season (Big Ben was 19th) and did NOT have Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. 

Hard not to reach for QB's in a 2-QB league, but I think it would have been better to wait and snag more RB's.  Is there really THAT much difference between Big Ben and, say.....Carson Palmer, who is going undrafted in many standard leagues?  Palmer was the 18th-ranked fantasy QB last season (Big Ben was 19th) and did NOT have Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. 

Normally I agree. Taking QBs was more experimental here, plus I was hosting the party and not really paying much attention. I draft using tiers, Ben was the last in his tier available in that spot - had I not taken him there, Palmer wouldn't have made it back to me 24 picks later. I'd have been more in the Ponder, Locker tier of QBs.

Trust me, if I could have waited I would have. 

I'm not really worried about my RB situation. I think Sproles is money - getting points for carries, catches, all yardage and scores, and I'll hit on one of my other guys or someone on FA. No doubt, I always do.

Last year I won this league with only 4 of my original draft picks on my roster. I rebuilt everything in FA after a sh*t-ton of injuries.

The key with the draft is having an infrastructure. Lock in as many guaranteed producers, or automatic starts, as possible. The bold lines below are my only fluid positions, and you could argue that my #2 WR isn't fluid either, we have to see what Welker does. I think he'll be good for 80 catches. If I hit on either TE, which I think is likely, then I don't have any concern there as well. 

We can only have 5 RBs on the roster, so I maxed it out. 

QB - Matt Ryan

QB - Big Ben

RB - AD

WR - Julio Jones

TE - Cook (or Cameron)

D - Bengals

DST - Zeurlein

or dancing lessons from u.

MessStation, it's been awhile,,,  I'd tell you I missed you and it was happy to see you , but frankly I haven't and I'm not. You're as welcome a sight to me as 20 acres of crabgrass are to that freaken PacHole

MessStation, it's been awhile,,, I'd tell you I missed you and it was happy to see you , but frankly I haven't and I'm not. You're as welcome a sight to me as 20 acres of crabgrass are to that freaken PacHole

You're obviously stoned and still drunk from last night. Back foul beast...BACK.

I'd like to take this opportunity to whine that if the player in question wasn't a reigning Heisman winner/SEC QB but, say, the QB for ECU, Cincinnati, or even somewhere like Florida St or Va Tech....they'd be suspended a lot more than one half of football.

I don't care that the whole system is backwards.  Don't really care they don't have a "smoking gun" so to speak, with actual proof he accepted cash.  If it was someone at a lower profile school they'd be penalized for damaging the spirit of the game or some non-sense.

Just let the super privileged schools split off on their own already (and revoke their universities NFP label).  I know we complain about the NFL, but it's so much better run than NCAA football.

/soapbox

Holy moly the football board is JI level retarded these days.

I never posted at JI, so IDK how bad it was/is over there.  I will say I miss the days of complete and total suckage that still brought the lulz and decent posters.  

Remember Fred Jetstone?  I'm still convinced he really was Brooks Bollinger.  

I'd like to take this opportunity to whine that if the player in question wasn't a reigning Heisman winner/SEC QB but, say, the QB for ECU, Cincinnati, or even somewhere like Florida St or Va Tech....they'd be suspended a lot more than one half of football.

I don't care that the whole system is backwards.  Don't really care they don't have a "smoking gun" so to speak, with actual proof he accepted cash.  If it was someone at a lower profile school they'd be penalized for damaging the spirit of the game or some non-sense.

Just let the super privileged schools split off on their own already (and revoke their universities NFP label).  I know we complain about the NFL, but it's so much better run than NCAA football.

/soapbox

I generally understand where you're coming from, but the whole "smoking gun" thing, is an extremely huge portion of this decision.  You cant go suspending players with absolutely zero concrete evidence.  You think the system is backward now?  Holy sh*t, how upside down would it be if that started happening.

NCAA cartel's days are numbered. They make 80% of their income off of amateur basketball players. Complete racket.

I liked 80's draft. Is Spiller slipping to #7 normal? Gronk is good value this year imo. Everyone in the NFL is a health concern. If Gronk plays even 10 games, he'll be worth that pick imo.

I generally understand where you're coming from, but the whole "smoking gun" thing, is an extremely huge portion of this decision.  You cant go suspending players with absolutely zero concrete evidence.  You think the system is backward now?  Holy sh*t, how upside down would it be if that started happening.

No -- I agree with you 100%.  My point was that I think if it was someone other than Manziel, they'd be suspended without the "smoking gun."  I don't think they should suspend anyone whatsoever without that proof -- not even a half, tbh.  I just feel like it wouldn't be the case if the player in question was at a lesser university or was of a lesser profile.

After watching the rules essentially change for Carolina because, quite simply, "they're Carolina" I just have no faith in the NCAA.

Again, I'm mostly whining irrationally.

@Wombat -- I've seen Spiller go everywhere from 2 to 7ish.  Really depends on the draft.  He seems to have this injury prone tag attached to his name when I think he's only missed 2 games?  Something like that.  And Fred Jackson -- while he's going to get touches -- isn't going to eat away at a ton of his production IMO.

Agreed on Gronk as well.  The rest of the TE group is so weak/uncertain outside the top couple the risk is definitely worth it.  If it doesn't work out you can find something passable as a FA (in 12 team and less leagues...not so much in 16 team leagues)

Again, I'm mostly whining irrationally.

@Wombat -- I've seen Spiller go everywhere from 2 to 7ish.  Really depends on the draft.  He seems to have this injury prone tag attached to his name when I think he's only missed 2 games?  Something like that.  And Fred Jackson -- while he's going to get touches -- isn't going to eat away at a ton of his production IMO.

Agreed on Gronk as well.  The rest of the TE group is so weak/uncertain outside the top couple the risk is definitely worth it.  If it doesn't work out you can find something passable as a FA (in 12 team and less leagues...not so much in 16 team leagues)

I'm bullish on Jared Cook and Jordan Cameron. Also think Brandon Myers is great value.

I liked 80's draft. Is Spiller slipping to #7 normal? Gronk is good value this year imo. Everyone in the NFL is a health concern. If Gronk plays even 10 games, he'll be worth that pick imo.

Nope, its not normal for that to happen.  One of the guys ahead of me apparently wasn't aware or didn't care about Arian Foster's health issues and took him # 2, and another guy took Aaron Rodgers 5th. 

I was expecting to have Spiller gone by my pick and end up going with either Jamaal Charles or LeSean McCoy.  As it turned out, another guy got BOTH of those guys at # 10 and 11 overall, which is insane.

No -- I agree with you 100%.  My point was that I think if it was someone other than Manziel, they'd be suspended without the "smoking gun."  I don't think they should suspend anyone whatsoever without that proof -- not even a half, tbh.  I just feel like it wouldn't be the case if the player in question was at a lesser university or was of a lesser profile.

After watching the rules essentially change for Carolina because, quite simply, "they're Carolina" I just have no faith in the NCAA.

Agreed 100%.  Its stupid. 

Had my big money league draft last night.  Interesting set up.  12 man. You start 3 WR's and a Flex.  3 IDP's - 1 at every level.  6 bench players

Drafted 2nd overall, again.  In this league, QB's get .5 per completion and - .5 per incompletion.  Dont like it but thats the way it is and they go high. Drew Brees went #1 overall.   So...its kind of similar as my other:

#2: Adrian Peterson

2. Alfred Morris

3. Brandon Marshall

4. V Jax

5. Lamar Miller

6. Stevie Johnson

7. Russell Wilson

8. Dangelo Williams

9. Emanuel Sanders

10. Chris Givens

11. Owen Daniels

12. DeAndre Hopkins

13. D'qwell Jackson

14. Eli Manning

15. Brandon Myers

16. Jarius Byrd

17. Bengals D

18. Mo Wilk

19. Caleb Sturgis

I'm bullish on Jared Cook and Jordan Cameron. Also think Brandon Myers is great value.

Agreed on Myers.  I also like Fred Davis, personally.  I know most aren't high on him coming off that injury and with the lack of TDs last year but I don't see it repeating.  Factor in that RGIII should be running less and Garcon and Davis should be the primary benefiaries (along with Morris, of course)

Had my big money league draft last night.  Interesting set up.  12 man. You start 3 WR's and a Flex.  3 IDP's - 1 at every level.  6 bench players

Drafted 2nd overall, again.  In this league, QB's get .5 per completion and - .5 per incompletion.  Dont like it but thats the way it is and they go high. Drew Brees went #1 overall.   So...its kind of similar as my other:

#2: Adrian Peterson

2. Alfred Morris

3. Brandon Marshall

4. V Jax

5. Lamar Miller

6. Stevie Johnson

7. Russell Wilson

8. Dangelo Williams

9. Emanuel Sanders

10. Chris Givens

11. Owen Daniels

12. DeAndre Hopkins

13. D'qwell Jackson

14. Eli Manning

15. Brandon Myers

16. Jarius Byrd

17. Bengals D

18. Mo Wilk

19. Caleb Sturgis

While I'm not huge on Miller, that's a great draft.  I'd be ecstatic with Morris in the 2nd and seeing as QB's went so high I can't believe Wilson fell to you in the 7th.  One of his best qualities is his completion percentage.  I actually like the DeAngelo pick too.  Great value at that point -- he won't get the goalline carries as they go to Cam, but no Jon Stewart means nothing but good things for him.

Archived