Jets sign Graham Harrell

T0mShane

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wouldn't Geno play tomorrow? He has to play.

I 100% agree, if the coaching staff knows the injury to M Sanchez will keep him out of week 1, and the Jets plan on starting G Smith, or M Simms week 1 that QB HAS to play the 1st 3 quarters, there is no substitute for live game reps even if they are VS the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th stringers!  Injury's happen in practice, in the weight room, and on the field, IMO not playing Geno this week, and starting him week 1 might put him at a higher injury risk without those extra 30-50 snaps in a live game, usually the Jets, and Eagles have a hand shake agreement for no blitzing to, yes this doesn't help Geno prepare for the real thing week 1, but it will give him a chance to practice things like looking off recievers, and going through his progressions a little better in live action, and if he can't see or feel a 4 man rush even when a O lineman gets blown up off the snap to protect himself, or even better AVOID the on coming defensive player since he is supposed to be a mobile QB then he shouldn't start week 1 anyway, let McElroy (if healthy/not cut, and have to carry 4 QB's again like 2010, can't cut Simms) get abused until either Geno gets ready, or Sanchez gets healthy.

If they are truely going to give Simms a slight 10% chance of a look to start week 1 if Sanchez, and McElroy (or if McElroy is cut/put on IR)are not healthy then let both Simms, and Smith get a half each, and if Smith is just clearly not ready to take snaps opening day, and Simms goes out, and absolutley tears it up in his half, then the Jets have to do what was thought as unthinkable, and give Simms the week 1 start, but with him, and the team knowing that he will be on a very short leash if he folds under the pressure against his first game reps against a 1st unit D, and then let Geno go in, and take the lumps the rest of the way as we get to watch a fun 24-6 beatdown with about 150 yards of total offense with about 2 passes traveling more than 10 yards in the air, and a 70-30 run to pass ratio, and 11 Malone punts, but the Jets made their bed if this worst case scenario happens, and they don't want to let one of the young kids get the old hey kid were gonna let you throw the ball every down, throw caution to the wind go out, and learn by doing, not by being restricted with a conservative offensive game plan like the Jets did with Sanchez in 2009, they need to do what the Colts did with Luck last year talent differences aside, let who ever the young man is throw the ball 50+ times a game when losing like we all expect this team to do, that is the best way to find out quickly if a QB is NFL worthy, or not, and the quickest way to get him to reach a comfort level playing in this league.  The sooner the Jets realize they are not going to win enough games to make the playoffs with ground, and pound offense, and great defense the better off they will be to evaluate what they need to do going forward in 2014, and beyond!

I 100% agree, if the coaching staff knows the injury to M Sanchez will keep him out of week 1, and the Jets plan on starting G Smith, or M Simms week 1 that QB HAS to play the 1st 3 quarters, there is no substitute for live game reps even if they are VS the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th stringers!  Injury's happen in practice, in the weight room, and on the field, IMO not playing Geno this week, and starting him week 1 might put him at a higher injury risk without those extra 30-50 snaps in a live game, usually the Jets, and Eagles have a hand shake agreement for no blitzing to, yes this doesn't help Geno prepare for the real thing week 1, but it will give him a chance to practice things like looking off recievers, and going through his progressions a little better in live action, and if he can't see or feel a 4 man rush even when a O lineman gets blown up off the snap to protect himself, or even better AVOID the on coming defensive player since he is supposed to be a mobile QB then he shouldn't start week 1 anyway, let McElroy (have to carry 4 QB's again like 2010, can't cut Simms) get abused until either Geno gets ready, or Sanchez gets healthy.

If they are truely going to give Simms a slight 10% chance of a look to start week 1 if Sanchez is not healthy then let both Simms, and Smith get a half each, and if Smith is just clearly not ready to take snaps opening day, and Simms goes out, and absolutley tears it up in his half, then the Jets have to do what was thought as unthinkable, and give Simms the week 1 start, but with him, and the team knowing that he will be on a very short leash if he folds under the pressure against his first game reps against a 1st unit D, and then let Geno go in, and take the lumps the rest of the way as we get to watch a fun 24-6 beatdown with about 150 yards of total offense with about 2 passes traveling more than 10 yards in the air, and a 70-30 run to pass ratio, and 11 Malone punts, but the Jets made their bed if this worst case scenario happens, and they don't want to let one of the young kids get the old hey kid were gonna let you throw the ball every down, throw caution to the wind go out, and learn by doing, not by being restricted with a conservative offensive game plan like the Jets did with Sanchez in 2009, they need to do what the Colts did with Luck last year talent differences aside, let who ever the young man is throw the ball 50+ times a game when losing like we all expect this team to do, that is the best way to find out quickly if a QB is NFL worthy, or not, and the quickest way to get him to reach a comfort level playing in this league.  The sooner the Jets realize they are not going to win enough games to make the playoffs with ground, and pound offense, and great defense the better off they will be to evaluate what they need to do going forward in 2014, and beyond!

If Geno doesnt play tomorrow, regardless....this team is lost. He has to play tomorrow. 

I can't remember which article it was, but one of them that was posted yesterday indicated that "reports" (whatever that's worth) are that Rex is considering starting Simms tomorrow.  If that's the case, there's absolutely no way they start Simms and then put Geno in at any point after that.  The sh*t-storm that would ensue from that would be far worse than any of this other nonsense we've seen so far this preseason.

So the assumption would have to be that, given Sanchez's injury, they are planning to handle Geno as a starter regarding his status for the game.  The Jets certainly aren't going to risk the health of any of their other starters, namely on the OL, so I'd have to imagine anyone who thought putting Sanchez in the game Saturday was a bad idea would agree with this (not that I think that should be a factor in his decision-making), but you never know.

I can't remember which article it was, but one of them that was posted yesterday indicated that "reports" (whatever that's worth) are that Rex is considering starting Simms tomorrow.  If that's the case, there's absolutely no way they start Simms and then put Geno in at any point after that.  The sh*t-storm that would ensue from that would be far worse than any of this other nonsense we've seen so far this preseason.

So the assumption would have to be that, given Sanchez's injury, they are planning to handle Geno as a starter regarding his status for the game.  The Jets certainly aren't going to risk the health of any of their other starters, namely on the OL, so I'd have to imagine anyone who thought putting Sanchez in the game Saturday was a bad idea would agree with this (not that I think that should be a factor in his decision-making), but you never know.

If Geno's starting against Tampa he needs reps. Throwing him to the wolves after playing just 3 quarters in the preseason(in a game in which he looked abysmal) is basically conceding the season. Tampa will destroy us. He's not ready.

I'd like them to play Smith tomorrow, but I doubt they will.  I can't remember the last time anybody played the starters more than a series on the last game.  I don't see why they don't, but they don't.  They generally don't play anybody.

Gag. a. maggot

McElroy has a better arm and is a better QB.

Harrell was a system QB.  He'll never amount to anything in the NFL.

At least we have a system now.

Even in Sanchez's rookie year Rex made an exception for the 4th preseason game starting Sanchez, and the whole 1st team unit for the very 1st offensive drive, they drove the field quickly, confidently for a TD if I remember correctly, and then went, and took the pads off, and enjoyed the rest of the show as spectators full of confidence heading into week 1, so that alone would really justify Rex to at least do this with Geno IF the non public decision to start Geno if Sanchez is not ready week 1 is already made.

If Geno's starting against Tampa he needs reps. Throwing him to the wolves after playing just 3 quarters in the preseason(in a game in which he looked abysmal) is basically conceding the season. Tampa will destroy us. He's not ready.

Which starting receivers and OL do you want to start with him?  Trotting out our starters against the Eagles backups isn't going to help much.  If you want him to be out there with our 2nd and 3rd stringers, then it's a good thing we signed Harrell yesterday as we'll need that extra QB for when Geno gets blasted by a 4th DE trying to make a name for himself and stick on the Eagles 53 man roster.

Which starting receivers and OL do you want to start with him?  Trotting out our starters against the Eagles backups isn't going to help much.  If you want him to be out there with our 2nd and 3rd stringers, then it's a good thing we signed Harrell yesterday as we'll need that extra QB for when Geno gets blasted by a 4th DE trying to make a name for himself and stick on the Eagles 53 man roster.

I'd put the entire first team in for at least a series, regardless of who's lining up for Philly. It cant hurt, especially if they plan on starting him week 1.

It helped with Sanchez in 2009. He played well over the first month of his rookie year.

Even in Sanchez's rookie year Rex made an exception for the 4th preseason game starting Sanchez, and the whole 1st team unit for the very 1st offensive drive, they drove the field quickly, confidently for a TD if I remember correctly, and then went, and took the pads off, and enjoyed the rest of the show as spectators full of confidence heading into week 1, so that alone would really justify Rex to at least do this with Geno IF the non public decision to start Geno if Sanchez is not ready week 1 is already made.

Don't necessarily disagree with either of this, but if the reports are true it sounds like that's not going to happen.  My guess would be that, sad as it is to say, what happened Saturday has Rex a bit scared of going this route.

I'd put the entire first team in for at least a series, regardless of who's lining up for Philly. It cant hurt, especially if they plan on starting him week 1.

It helped with Sanchez in 2009. He played well over the first month of his rookie year.

Let's NOT duplicate the path that Sanchez took please.

I doubt trotting him out there for a series, which may end after 4 plays or could go for 9 plays will not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Let's NOT duplicate the path that Sanchez took please.

I doubt trotting him out there for a series, which may end after 4 plays or could go for 9 plays will not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

The guy needs live reps more than anything. All we took from the Giants game was that Geno wasnt ready...throwing him to the wolves week one after a poor(and only) performance is nuts.

Weren't we at 75 players already?  Who got cut to make room for this guy?

I have my fingers crossed that it's Kyle Wilson. Time to get rid of this guy. Wasted draft pick and evidence that Rex Ryan has very little clue as to 'talent'. Even in defensive players. Ryan was overrated as a DC in Baltimore. Look who he had to coach. I could coach that defense and look good. Just leave them alone and let them do what they do and apply for HC position with the Jets and their 'On the Job training program'. In their history the Jets have hired exactly THREE coaches with prior HC experience - Weeb, Parcells and the immortal Rich Kotite. Every other coach has been a first time HC, which is why I say "Come to the Jets for your first experience as HC. It's great on the job training.

No he doesn't.  The last thing the Jets should do is risk him to injury by playing him behind a backup OL, and as several posters have pointed out, it would also be a disaster to get Mangold or Brick hurt playing to protect Geno. It's a meaningless preseason game.  The bag boys and UPS truck drivers will be flying around trying to impress someone.

Geno needs to be focusing solely on his fundamentals at this point and not thinking about playing.  I'm hoping that either Sanchez will be well or they'll start McElroy vs Tampa.

If Geno doesnt play tomorrow, regardless....this team is lost. He has to play tomorrow. 

No he doesn't.  You're in full panic mode about this first game and this season.  The Jets need to take a long-term approach.  The game vs Tampa and even this season means nothing in the big scheme of things.

No he doesn't.  The last thing the Jets should do is risk him to injury by playing him behind a backup OL, and as several posters have pointed out, it would also be a disaster to get Mangold or Brick hurt playing to protect Geno. It's a meaningless preseason game.  The bag boys and UPS truck drivers will be flying around trying to impress someone.

Geno needs to be focusing solely on his fundamentals at this point and not thinking about playing.  I'm hoping that either Sanchez will be well or they'll start McElroy vs Tampa.

Risk injury? lol. Its football, guys get hurt. Geno needs reps...put him in with the first team, let him complete some passes, build some confidence.

Geno's barely played this preseason. The guy couldnt manage to roll out with out awkwardly spraining his ankle. If he needs work on fundamentals, week 4 of the preseason is exactly the time to do it. If he's not going to play tomorrow and Sanchez cant play week 1....they might as well start Simms or Mccelroy against Tampa...as were looking at the "big picture"

Big picture clearly isnt throwing Geno to the wolves after only 3 quarters of preseason play...where he looked atrocious.

McElroy is 100x better than Harrell.

Not sure it's 100x, but I agree that he is better. Problem is he is no longer PS eligible, and IMO at least, Simms has shown a higher upside with his cannon arm, and deserves the spot. 

That is if he doesn't self destruct tomorrow, which is possible with a lot of playing time

Risk injury? lol. Its football, guys get hurt. Geno needs reps...put him in with the first team, let him complete some passes, build some confidence.

Geno's barely played this preseason. The guy couldnt manage to roll out with out awkwardly spraining his ankle. If he needs work on fundamentals, week 4 of the preseason is exactly the time to do it. If he's not going to play tomorrow and Sanchez cant play week 1....they might as well start Simms or Mccelroy against Tampa...as were looking at the "big picture"

Big picture clearly isnt throwing Geno to the wolves after only 3 quarters of preseason play...where he looked atrocious.

Think Rex has been crucified this week?  If he starts Geno and Geno gets hurt, the furor will never die down until Rex is fired.  That might even prompt Woody and Idzik to fire Rex now and let Mornhinweg take over.

The big picture for the team and Geno at this moment should be that he doesn't see the field until after the Bye.  They can go with Simms, Sanchez, McElroy or Harrell if they like him better.  It doesn't matter.

You are clueless.  You don't work on fundamentals during live game action.  That require separate focused practice.  The reps he'd get tomorrow night and in practice prepping for tomorrow night would do more to hold him back since those are involved with actually trying to score points and win a game.  He needs to be thinking solely about his fundamentals.  That's the only way they'll get fixed any time soon, and if they aren't fixed, he'll never be worth a damn.  If they're gonna start him tomorrow night and plan on starting in week 1, they might as well go ahead and plan to draft a QB in the 1st round next year because they'll ruin any chances Geno has for succeeding in the NFL.

There is no way that you let go of Simms. Right now, given the physical tools of all the QBs on the roster, Simms is by far the one with the highest ceiling. Harrell looks to be in a similar mold as McElroy. While Harrell may be better than McElroy...he is certainly not better than Geno or Simms.

If Simms gets cut, there will be mass outrage.

Think Rex has been crucified this week?  If he starts Geno and Geno gets hurt, the furor will never die down until Rex is fired.  That might even prompt Woody and Idzik to fire Rex now and let Mornhinweg take over.

The big picture for the team and Geno at this moment should be that he doesn't see the field until after the Bye.  They can go with Simms, Sanchez, McElroy or Harrell if they like him better.  It doesn't matter.

You are clueless.  You don't work on fundamentals during live game action.  That require separate focused practice.  The reps he'd get tomorrow night and in practice prepping for tomorrow night would do more to hold him back since those are involved with actually trying to score points and win a game.  He needs to be thinking solely about his fundamentals.  That's the only way they'll get fixed any time soon, and if they aren't fixed, he'll never be worth a damn.  

You cant play football thinking someone might get hurt. I dont care if Geno gets hurt, he needs reps. If the season is as lost as you think it is...what difference does it make if Simms, Harrell or whatever other scrub starts the season.

If Geno plays against Philly with the starters, chances are...he's not getting hurt. And his line knows he cant get hurt.

If they're gonna start him tomorrow night and plan on starting in week 1, they might as well go ahead and plan to draft a QB in the 1st round next year because they'll ruin any chances Geno has for succeeding in the NFL.

This makes no sense at all.

You cant play football thinking someone might get hurt. I dont care if Geno gets hurt, he needs reps. If the season is as lost as you think it is...what difference does it make if Simms, Harrell or whatever other scrub starts the season.

If Geno plays against Philly with the starters, chances are...he's not getting hurt. And his line knows he cant get hurt.

This makes no sense at all.

It does if you had a clue what you're talking about.  If you understand anything about educational philosophy or pedagogy, and what it involves to change muscle memory.  Clearly you don't.

You don't work on fundamentals during live game action.   

this is the key point all the Geno fans seem to miss. that he can work on the basics like how big an endzone is while he is facing live fire against the Pats on national tv.  I root for geno but it's apparent he's multiple months if not multiple seasons away from being functional. they didn't need to start him vs NYG to know that for a fact.

It does if you had a clue what you're talking about.  If you understand anything about educational philosophy or pedagogy, and what it involves to change muscle memory.  Clearly you don't.

lol.

Geno needs to work on his fundamentals, so lets not play him against Phillys backups. We might ruin him forever. Gotta protect his muscle memory.

If Geno plays against Philly with the starters, chances are...he's not getting hurt.

what's the point of playing the first team offense against the Eagles second team scrubs? it's not an accurate simulation of what he will face against Tampa Bay.   the timing will be all screwey. You can hold the ball for ages first team vs second team. 

if you want to put Geno and the second team out there, maybe that's a better challenge. 

what's the point of playing the first team offense against the Eagles second team scrubs? it's not an accurate simulation of what he will face against Tampa Bay.  if you want to put Geno and the second team out there, maybe that's a better challenge. 

Because the QB we drafted clearly needs live game reps. What's with the bubble wrap philosophy? Just let him play....he couldnt handle a simple roll out without hurting himself...the kids clearly needs live reps.

Because the QB we drafted clearly needs live game reps. What's with the bubble wrap philosophy? Just let him play....he couldnt handle a simple roll out without hurting himself...the kids clearly needs live reps.

i think we agree on that but the Jets should be more concerned about injury to Mangold (or how about Colon) than an injury to Geno. Play Geno but rest the first team OL. 

Archived