Matt Simms to start Thursday

RSJ

Costello: Greg McElroy re-injures knee, Matt Simms will start

August 28th, 2013 11:07 am

Greg McElroy re-injured his knee in practice, according to Brian Costello of the New York Post.

Matt Simms will get the start on Thursday for the Jets, according to Costello’s source. The McElroy injury also led to the signing of Graham Harrell.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Genos ankle is worse than we know, I don't see how you keep him out of this game. Looks like they've already decided Mark is fine and will start the season.

If Sanchez is starting week 1 then there's no reason for Geno not to play.

If Sanchez is starting week 1 then there's no reason for Geno not to play.

If Geno is starting week one, then why wouldnt Geno play? Serious question. You are going to let a QB who needs that much work not see the field for two weeks? 

If Geno is starting week one, then why wouldnt Geno play? Serious question. You are going to let a QB who needs that much work not see the field for two weeks? 

Not saying I totally agree with it.  But, if Mark is hurt, the logic is don't get Geno hurt too... Because, you don't particularly want to go into the season with Simms and Graham Harrell.

Or, Mark isn't fine, and they don't want to get Geno hurt.

Why would they care about getting Geno hurt though? Are they saying he gives the team THAT much of a better chance to win vs getting Geno some more reps and maybe getting better? Because based on last week this kid NEEDS reps. Maybe the Jets are actually doing the right thing and seeing more from Simms.

Not saying I totally agree with it.  But, if Mark is hurt, the logic is don't get Geno hurt too... Because, you don't particularly want to go into the season with Simms and Graham Harrell.

Yeah, but is Geno that much better then them? Not based on what I have seen. More important that he gets reps, then worry about injury, imho.

Geno should be playing against Philly regardless. This makes no sense at all. Geno was awful in his first real action...now we're sitting him?

this move makes it seems like Sanchez won't be ready for week 1 and possibly is seriously hurt.

Then sorry veterans, we need you guys to play a quarter this week so we don't look like a bunch of horses asses week 1.

I'm sorry, but this offense hasn't earned a damned thing in 3 years...they need all the live reps they can get. Our first time offense looked pretty crappy against the Giants second team too.

Why would they care about getting Geno hurt though? Are they saying he gives the team THAT much of a better chance to win vs getting Geno some more reps and maybe getting better? Because based on last week this kid NEEDS reps. Maybe the Jets are actually doing the right thing and seeing more from Simms.

Setbacks to Geno means delays coming in during the season. If he needs to work on his fundamentals, and he DOES, there's no point sticking him into a spot where guys are trying to impress the coaches enough that they grab a last spot on the team.

Geno should be playing against Philly regardless. This makes no sense at all. Geno was awful in his first real action...now we're sitting him?

I agree 100%. 

To me this says that it is possible Simms could start week one over Geno. If it isnt the intention then its just another blunder.

If this is an audition for Simms to start week 1...lol. Wouldn't that be something?

Are you serious?  Geno is the heir apparent to the starting job.  Why would they want him to get hurt or not care?  If he were to get hurt severely and it be a season-ending injury, they'd never find out this year if Geno could be their QB of the future.  The few reps he would get in that game are nothing and wouldn't make an ant hill's worth of difference in helping him get ready to play.

Setbacks to Geno means delays coming in during the season. If he needs to work on his fundamentals, and he DOES, there's no point sticking him into a spot where guys are trying to impress the coaches enough that they grab a last spot on the team.

Studying a gameplan, executing it, studying the tape and making corrections are things he needs to get better at too. As well as live gametime action. He needs reps if he is in the discussion to start week one.

Are you serious?  Geno is the heir apparent to the starting job.  Why would they want him to get hurt or not care?  If he were to get hurt severely and it be a season-ending injury, they'd never find out this year if Geno could be their QB of the future.  The few reps he would get in that game are nothing and wouldn't make an ant hill's worth of difference in helping him get ready to play.

This is football. If he gets hurt then he is fragile and probably had no future anyway. 

Studying a gameplan, executing it, studying the tape and making corrections are things he needs to get better at too. As well as live gametime action. He needs reps if he is in the discussion to start week one.

Studying a game plan can happen later. Improving his foot work needs to happen sooner.

Then sorry veterans, we need you guys to play a quarter this week so we don't look like a bunch of horses asses week 1.

playing first team O vs eagles second team D is not going to help. The eagles first team D is rough the second team D is awful. It wouldn't be productive.

To keep saying the same inane thing doesn't make it true or make any more sense.

Right. Playing a rookie in a game that doesn't mean anything, with no pressure, who clearly needs reps makes no sense.

And your reason is because he needs to work on his fundamentals.

Unless Genos ankle is worse than we know, I don't see how you keep him out of this game.  Looks like they've already decided Mark is fine and will start the season. 

What makes you say that?  That would seem to be the exact opposite of the conclusion that I would draw from this move.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't even an Anti-Sanchez thing as I agree that, health permitting, he'd probably be the guy to start week 1.  That said, if Geno is already set in stone as the #2 there's no reason they would be worried about playing him tomorrow.  If anything, this would suggest that their top priority for Geno right now is his health, meaning they think he might have to start vs Tampa.

That's not to say I agree with that approach, but it would seem the most likely reason for not playing him.

playing first team O vs eagles second team D is not going to help. The eagles first team D is rough the second team D is awful. It wouldn't be productive.

It worked for Sanchez 5 years ago. The Jets started 3-0.

I dont care if the Eagles put out cones instead of players...if Geno is going to start the first week he needs to play with the first team. Get reps in with live refs, the playclock...this is all stuff he needs to learn in live action.. He could barely field a snap under center without tripping Saturday.

Which begs the question why the Bills aren't getting killed for putting themselves in a position where the will be starting Jeff Tuel on opening day?

Which begs the question why the Bills aren't getting killed for putting themselves in a position where the will be starting Jeff Tuel on opening day?

Because it's football and guys get hurt.

If the Brady injury were serious you think Mallet sits till week 1?

Archived