Matt Simms to start Thursday

RSJ

Eventually, as Game One approaches, the Jets will have to list the nature of Sanchez"s injury, won't they?  This business of not saying what it is smacks of the NHL.  Everybody knows he hurt his shoulder. Holding Geno out of this game tells me that it is far more than a day to day injury. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is 100% right on man!

Rex and Jets management cannot win with a lot of you guys here and the media. If he played Geno and the first team OL he would get KILLED. Look at the Sanchez reaction and that was in the 3rd preseason game. Now you want starters to play in the 4th?

Exactly. Geno lighting it up against 2nd and 3rd teamers won't prove or show anything, and God forbid he gets hurt with all the people losing it over the Sanchez situation. If Geno is going to start week 1, sitting him like the rest of our starters is not a big deal. You don't go from not being ready to being ready by playing one extra preseason game against backups. Either he's ready or he's not, but either way that isn't going to change in one game.

They already have - "no matter what Rex does, it's wrong and will be the reason he gets fired."

Based on that alone I want the Jets to make the playoffs and have Rex hold a press conference where he moons the beat writers and tells them to pucker the **** up. 

That's fine with me. 

So, let me understand this.

Matt Simms is playing with the first stringers instead of Geno because they want to see what Simms can do with a decent supporting cast, and It's possible he's being evaluated for something more than the third string job if he lights it up.

Where does this leave Geno?

What if Simms outplays Geno against the Eagles AND Sanchez isn't ready to go?  That means the Jets obviously keep Simms, Smith and Sanchez. Who starts in week one, Simms or Smith?

Doesn't Geno need reps given that he might actually have to start within the first couple of weeks?

That's the part I don't understand.

If Simms needs to be given a shot to unseat McElroy based on the last two weeks, why not just play him for the whole second half?

Unless Genos ankle is worse than we know, I don't see how you keep him out of this game. Looks like they've already decided Mark is fine and will start the season.

Maybe Mark is either still, and Geno will get the start vs the Bucs

So, let me understand this.

Matt Simms is playing with the first stringers instead of Geno because they want to see what Simms can do with a decent supporting cast, and It's possible he's being evaluated for something more than the third string job if he lights it up.

Where does this leave Geno?

What if Simms outplays Geno against the Eagles AND Sanchez isn't ready to go?  That means the Jets obviously keep Simms, Smith and Sanchez. Who starts in week one, Simms or Smith?

Doesn't Geno need reps given that he might actually have to start within the first couple of weeks?

That's the part I don't understand.

If Simms needs to be given a shot to unseat McElroy based on the last two weeks, why not just play him for the whole second half?

Most of the first stringers will not be playing with Simms. 

Most of the first stringers will not be playing with Simms. 

Thanks, I didn't catch that. 

I still don't completely understand the decision.

It must mean that they are planning for Smith to start in Week One, and they don't want him to get hurt following what happened last week. 

Smith needs reps though, and he needs them in game situations. 

Thanks, I didn't catch that. 

I still don't completely understand the decision.

It must mean that they are planning for Smith to start in Week One, and they don't want him to get hurt following what happened last week. 

Smith needs reps though, and he needs them in game situations. 

Tomorrow night will be nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. 

If Smith played he'd be going up against truck drivers. You don't tend to improve when you go up against people you are better than.

the Jets really handled this QB situation well.

LOL

What a mess.  For what it's worth here's how I see it.

Idzik sees the Sanchez injury as an opportunity to start Smith against Tampa even if Sanchez is ready to go, and doesn't want to risk getting Smith hurt against the Birds.  If Sanchez is smart, he could one up him.  After Smith gets picked off 2 times by Revis, and fumbles once, Sanchez could insist his shoulder is still sore, and let Bellichik have his way with Smith in prime time.   By the end of the game half the fans will be chanting for Sanchez, the other half will be chanting for Simms.

I agree 100%. 

To me this says that it is possible Simms could start week one over Geno. If it isnt the intention then its just another blunder.

Boy that would be something.  Wonder if they could get a 4th round pick for Smith

Which begs the question why the Bills aren't getting killed for putting themselves in a position where the will be starting Jeff Tuel on opening day?

Was wondering the same thing myself.  There has hardly been a peep in the National media about the Bills situation.

I hope Simms lights it up! 

Me to.  Coming into this camp I thought Simms was a bum, He's had back to back good games, kids got a cannon

How long have you been a Jets fan? Half if us hated him as soon as he showed up on the Jets radar monthes before the draft.

I personally didn't think he looked that good last year and wanted nothing to do with him but the Jets FO and fan base were so desperate to replace Sanchez they were grasping at straws.

I agree with the bolded, but in the first round, Second round he had fair value.  Most of the posters hadn't seen him play for WV, and were just reading the hype, and blinded by their hatred for Sanchez.

if Smith plays against Bellichick, watch that opinion of him chance quickly

Are you serious?  Geno is the heir apparent to the starting job.  Why would they want him to get hurt or not care?  If he were to get hurt severely and it be a season-ending injury, they'd never find out this year if Geno could be their QB of the future.  The few reps he would get in that game are nothing and wouldn't make an ant hill's worth of difference in helping him get ready to play.

i dont think its a given he gets hurt if he plays half the game

hes young its not like kevin kolb who if he gets hit in the head again he may die

Geno should be playing against Philly regardless. This makes no sense at all. Geno was awful in his first real action...now we're sitting him?

The only way this makes sense is if the Jets know 100% Sanchez Can, OR Can't play week 1, and they are actually being honest with the fact that they are trying to have an actual FAIR QB competition, and M Simms has played himself into a spot where he at least deserves to be in the running to either start IF Sanchez is 100% not playing week 1, OR competing for the backup job IF Sanchez is 100% starting week 1. 

Obviously we won't know until we see if Geno plays after Simms tomorrow, if he does then what I wrote above might be correct, but if he doesn't take 1 snap he is obviously starting week 1, like 99% chance!

Tomorrow night will be nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. 

If Smith played he'd be going up against truck drivers. You don't tend to improve when you go up against people you are better than.

I wouldn't kill Rex or the Jets over this move.   Give Simms a chance to prove he's better than McElroy.  At the very least, he has more upside.

What makes you say that?  That would seem to be the exact opposite of the conclusion that I would draw from this move.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't even an Anti-Sanchez thing as I agree that, health permitting, he'd probably be the guy to start week 1.  That said, if Geno is already set in stone as the #2 there's no reason they would be worried about playing him tomorrow.  If anything, this would suggest that their top priority for Geno right now is his health, meaning they think he might have to start vs Tampa.

That's not to say I agree with that approach, but it would seem the most likely reason for not playing him.

Haven't read a lot of the thread so it's probably been said but if they planned on starting Geno week 1 I don't see how you possibly sit him.  The things he needs work on can't be simulated in practice.  I don't care if it's the Eagles 2nd team or not...  it's guys other than your teammates that you're not used to seeing.  He needs that kind of exposure desperately.

Regardless of Sanchez' health I can't think of any reason why Geno wouldn't play other than his ankle being worse than we know.

Trotting Geno out there on week 1 after 2 weeks off and the 3 picks still fresh in his mind would be pretty damn stupid.  To face Revis and Goldson?  The horror.

To me this clearly tells me that Geno is starting week 1, and they feel he is ready and does not need to prove anything else in preseason. I just cannot see any other scenario where this happens, unless they legitimately want to give Simms a shot to win the job this week, which does not make any sense unless he is playing with the ones. 

He's proven he can get hurt without getting hit, toss 3 picks, and run out of the endzone for a safety.

That's the guy you think has wowed the coaches?

Haven't read a lot of the thread so it's probably been said but if they planned on starting Geno week 1 I don't see how you possibly sit him.  The things he needs work on can't be simulated in practice.  I don't care if it's the Eagles 2nd team or not...  it's guys other than your teammates that you're not used to seeing.  He needs that kind of exposure desperately.

Regardless of Sanchez' health I can't think of any reason why Geno wouldn't play other than his ankle being worse than we know.

Trotting Geno out there on week 1 after 2 weeks off and the 3 picks still fresh in his mind would be pretty damn stupid.  To face Revis and Goldson?  The horror.

Sad as it is to say, I think it might be a matter of the Jets being scared sh*tless at this point.  I'm not writing off the possibility of Sanchez being able to start week one, but rather think the team feels the very last thing in the world they want is for Sanchez not to be ready and then Geno to get himself hurt (particularly with an existing injury he could potentially reaggravate) on top of that.  I suppose we'll have to wait and see, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanchez starting vs Tampa regardless of what the real reason is for not playing Geno.

He's proven he can get hurt without getting hit, toss 3 picks, and run out of the endzone for a safety.

That's the guy you think has wowed the coaches?

He certainly did not wow me, I am just saying that is the only thing that makes sense to me. I would much rather see Simms than Smith play if its between those two, I just see no way if he is not the starter that he is not playing this week, zero chance. Not saying I agree with it, just how I interpret it.

He certainly did not wow me, I am just saying that is the only thing that makes sense to me. I would much rather see Simms than Smith play if its between those two, I just see no way if he is not the starter that he is not playing this week, zero chance. Not saying I agree with it, just how I interpret it.

Yeah I'm just guessing as well..  I just can't think of any logical reason for sitting him this week if they plan on playing him week 1.

MM said a couple weeks ago "you never really know about a QB until you see them play".  I don't think a little over 3 quarters in 2 games is nearly enough for them to conclude he's the starter.  

Can you imagine the media backlash if Geno gets torched on week 1 after sitting the last preseason game haha..  It would be pandemonium. 

If Simms lights it up against the Birds, this board will be crazy. 

Smith will be the starter against Tampa, he's Idzik's pick, and Idzik is going to use the back door to force it, but it sure would be a lot of fun if it were Simms

Matt Simms to start NY Jets' final preseason game vs. Eagles, Greg McElroy out  Greg McElroy aggravated a knee sprain in practice Tuesday. The sprain is considered mild and not serious, but it will keep him out of the game against the Eagles. By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 1:12 PM

giants-jets.jpg Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News  

Matt Simms will get the start in Gang Green's final preseason game against the Eagles on Thursday.

Matt Simms will start the Jets final preseason game Thursday with Greg McElroy unavailable and the Jets choosing to sit Geno Smith, the Daily News has learned.

Greg McElroy aggravated a knee sprain in practice Tuesday. The sprain is considered mild and not serious, but it will keep him out of the game against the Eagles. McElroy's status is day-to-day.

Smith will sit while uncertainty lingers over Mark Sanchez's right shoulder, which was injured on Saturday against the Giants and could cause him to miss the team's opener against Darrelle Revis and the Bucs.

jetqbweb29s-2-web.jpg Robert Sabo/New York Daily News Greg McElroy is day-to-day with a mild knee sprain.

McElroy addressed the media on Tuesday, saying, "I'm trying to get to 100% as fast as humanly possible."

Backing up Simms will be Graham Harrell, the former Packers backup whom the Jets just recently agreed to terms with, according to a source.

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/simms-start-jets-final-preseason-game-mcelroy-ailing-article-1.1439266#ixzz2dHuqQQxh

"Backing up Simms will be Graham Harrell, the former Packers backup whom the Jets just recently agreed to terms with, according to a source."    ??????????

What the hell has happened to Smith?   Has he, like at the draft, left the building

"Backing up Simms will be Graham Harrell, the former Packers backup whom the Jets just recently agreed to terms with, according to a source."    ??????????

What the hell has happened to Smith?   Has he, like at the draft, left the building

What has happened is that the Jets seem to be scared about the idea of him getting hurt:

Matt Simms will start the Jets final preseason game Thursday with Greg McElroy unavailable and the Jets choosing to sit Geno Smith, the Daily News has learned.

Smith will sit while uncertainty lingers over Mark Sanchez's right shoulder, which was injured on Saturday against the Giants and could cause him to miss the team's opener against Darrelle Revis and the Bucs.

Man I really miss the sometimes stupid, bold, brash "you take a swipe at 1 of ours, we'll take a swipe at 2 of yours" Rex Ryan, either way he can't win with the media, he might as well go done swinging his way, who knows it might work.  Either way he gets paid his 6 million if he does everything Idzik tells him not to do, and gets fired, and there will be a huge pay day waiting for him in TV if he doesn't want to stoop back down to a DC somewhere else, or a Big money deal from a down in the dumps big time college program if he wanted to go that route.

The media is going to create a narrative regardless. From a football standpoint, if Geno's starting against the Bucs- he needs as many live reps with the starters as he can get.

I understand what you are saying but only to an extent. Does Geno need reps? Yes he definitely does. But does he need reps against 2nd and 3rd stringers and an increased risk of being injured? Hell no.

His performance is being way way blown out of proportion. He didn't play good but he really only had one glaring flaw....staring down receivers. That is correctible and I am sure he was been working on that all week in practice. If he is gonna be the starter you don't throw him into a 4th preseason game behind the 2nd team OL against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Only bad can come from this.

And can you imagine if Geno or Mangold or someone else on that first team got hurt?! LMAO It would be a sh*t storm like we have never seen.

If Simms lights it up against the Birds, this board will be crazy. 

Smith will be the starter against Tampa, he's Idzik's pick, and Idzik is going to use the back door to force it, but it sure would be a lot of fun if it were Simms

LMAO if that's true the people on this board need serious help. He is playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Nobody seems to quite understand the drop off in talent.

They already have - "no matter what Rex does, it's wrong and will be the reason he gets fired."

Based on that alone I want the Jets to make the playoffs and have Rex hold a press conference where he moons the beat writers and tells them to pucker the **** up. 

Seriously **** the beat writers in this city. At this point I wish Rex would just completely lose it, jump down off the podium at his next presser and stuff Rich Cimini's head up Manish Mehta's ass.

LMAO if that's true the people on this board need serious help. He is playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Nobody seems to quite understand the drop off in talent.

I tend to agree. People are aleady overhyping/overrating/having to high expectations/whatever you want to call it him. He looked great against the backup backups. But against starters? I dunno.

honestly I'm really looking forward to see Matt Simms again. Maybe that makes him the next whatever but it's entertaining .

I tend to agree, I am looking forward to seeing him too, but would rather see Geno. I think if he is going to start week 1 like it seems, I would like to see him have the opportunity to work out more kinks and see more live play. You just cannot simulate live game experience, even if its against 3rd and 4th stringers, its live game experience which is very valuable to young players.

HA

You've been on this board a couple of years and your just realizing now that people on the this board need serious help?

No its become clear long ago but still shocking at times.

Simms is playing against guys who you could literally see flipping burgers at McDonalds next week.

Matt Simms is the new Brett Ratliff. 

Of course he is, but that's what make preseason games worth while.   it does happen every once in a blue moon, Tom Brady says hi

Two things make Simms a bit more intriguing then most

1) Who his Daddy was.  Maybe some DNA stuck

2)  The kid has a cannon.  As much as I thought Simms was a waste of a roster spot last year, that 70 yarder really impressed me.  Want to see him again.   Probably be laughing and SMH by half time, But..................................

Archived