Matt Simms to start Thursday

RSJ

Of course he is, but that's what make preseason games worth while.   it does happen every once in a blue moon, Tom Brady says hi

Two things make Simms a bit more intriguing then most

1) Who his Daddy was.  Maybe some DNA stuck

2)  The kid has a cannon.  As much as I thought Simms was a waste of a roster spot last year, that 70 yarder really impressed me.  Want to see him again.   Probably be lsughing and SMH by half time, But..................................

Its funny that people keep saying that. The knock on him when he was at Tennessee was that his arm sucked. I think it looks a little above average. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree, I am looking forward to seeing him too, but would rather see Geno. I think if he is going to start week 1 like it seems, I would like to see him have the opportunity to work out more kinks and see more live play. You just cannot simulate live game experience, even if its against 3rd and 4th stringers, its live game experience which is very valuable to young players.

but game experience 1st team O vs Eagles 2nd team D isn't really a live game experience. he will get used to a slower speed? 

Idzik sees the Sanchez injury as an opportunity to start Smith against Tampa even if Sanchez is ready to go, and doesn't want to risk getting Smith hurt against the Birds.  If Sanchez is smart, he could one up him.  After Smith gets picked off 2 times by Revis, and fumbles once, Sanchez could insist his shoulder is still sore, and let Bellichik have his way with Smith in prime time.   By the end of the game half the fans will be chanting for Sanchez, the other half will be chanting for Simms.

if Smith plays against Bellichick, watch that opinion of him chance quickly

That is very possibly the dumbest thing I have read on this board. EVER

I'm dumbfounded by how much hate Geno is receiving from so many Jets fans already. 

I dont gravitate toward Geno. He never looked like anything more than a poor mans Vince Young to me. He didnt impress me at WV and i feel the pick was more made by NFL drum beaters than by anyone. Personally ive moved on from getting a QB in the 1st round. Sure Andrew luck and RGIII are great talents but those kind of QBs never fall to us. We get the guys who people say yeah hes good but as soon as they step on the field they suck. Right now i see more fire in Matt Simms. Sure it was against the weaker squads but if youre willing to give Geno the start who is obviously not ready to start why not go with Simms who has a year more experience, a better arm, and seems to have a better grasp of the offense. Let the guy go out there and give it a shot now that we have an opportunity to. If he lights it up you cant argue.

That is very possibly the dumbest thing I have read on this board. EVER

Nah, This one here is easily much dumber

"Mark SUCKED in the preseason....yet everyone wants to dismiss all the mistakes he made. Reality is that despite some very rookie mistakes Geno has outplayed Mark both in camp and in the preseason games. I guess people are OK with a QB with no composure, that continuously makes ridiculous turnovers, has no touch no accuracy and cannot throw a screen"

Nah, This one here is easily much dumber

"Mark SUCKED in the preseason....yet everyone wants to dismiss all the mistakes he made. Reality is that despite some very rookie mistakes Geno has outplayed Mark both in camp and in the preseason games. I guess people are OK with a QB with no composure, that continuously makes ridiculous turnovers, has no touch no accuracy and cannot throw a screen"

You left out the part where you say Matt Simms is an upgrade from Mark Snachez. 

OK I love how people have written off Geno Smith with one pre season game- I am glad you are not my employer the first day I worked on my job 30 years ago. Smith still may not be our answer as a disclaimer

OK I love how people have written off Geno Smith with one pre season game- I am glad you are not my employer the first day I worked on my job 30 years ago. Smith still may not be our answer as a disclaimer

Man, you are old! Just kidding  :winking0001:  I have not written him off at all, but I will say I am not nearly as high on him as I once was.

Are you serious?  Geno is the heir apparent to the starting job.  Why would they want him to get hurt or not care?  If he were to get hurt severely and it be a season-ending injury, they'd never find out this year if Geno could be their QB of the future.  The few reps he would get in that game are nothing and wouldn't make an ant hill's worth of difference in helping him get ready to play.

I don't understand the line of thinking in this thread either.  People saying it's stupid that he's not going to play, yet, if anything he would get maybe one series.  Unless you have a 19 play series, you're really not getting that much work in.  Let's say they go 3 and out or get a couple of first downs and fizzle after like 6 or 7 plays.  Do those 6 or 7 plays really have that much difference?  Hell no.

Sanchez is hurt.  McElroy is hurt now.  And people want to risk an injury to Geno?  Unbelievable.  The risk just isn't worth it IMO.  One more series in preseason isn't going to make him suddenly turn on the light bulb and light it up during the regular season.  I'm just glad that some of the idiots posting in this thread (and other threads) who are flipping out over this have nothing to do with the team.

I also know that if Geno did play and did get hurt that these same idiots would be the first to complain about the Jets playing him in the first place.  Whiners will bitch and complain about anything, it doesn't matter.

Man, you are old! Just kidding  :winking0001:  I have not written him off at all, but I will say I am not nearly as high on him as I once was.

Hah yeah I am an old fart.  I was hesitant about Smith as the pick - you can look my posts up- trying to give him some slack- maybe I am stupid Jet fan though

but game experience 1st team O vs Eagles 2nd team D isn't really a live game experience. he will get used to a slower speed? 

Meh, I think it's still better than practice experience being. It's not really a big deal to me one way or another, but I would prefer to see him play a half and work out some more kinks. I don't think you can be scared of injuries in the NFL, I also don't think an injury to Geno is all that devastating because I don't expect him to be much better than any other QB we could possibly trot out this year, though I hope I am wrong.

WIth both McElroy and Sanchez hurt, it was down to Smith and Simms playing tomorrow night, and on that basis it was the right move to start Simms.  See if he can show in a Jets game that he can get it done, since right now if he can and Sanchez is still hurt by opening day, then they may be able to start him instead of the apparently unprepared Smith.

I just don't see how Smith's playing against the Eagles will help him enough to overcome the problems he showed against the Giants.  There will instead be a need for him to work out problems in practice.  We heard about plenty of them BEFORE the Giants game, so it should be no surprise they showed up in it.  Simms has NFL experience, is not hurt, and deserves this start.  It was really a no brainer.

The problem at this point is Geno hasn't proven anything.  He barely played in game 1,  he didn't play game 2, he sucked in game 3, and now he probably won't play in game 4.   Even if he just played a few series or the first quarter, it helps with playing in an actual game.    Even if its a pointless preseason game, it's still something.   Considering he hasn't looked good at all, it's something he needs.    

And what happens if Simms goes out and looks like a HOF against Eagles backups?    It would mean Simms was the best QB all summer and really never had a legit shot anyway, so whats the point in having a 'qb competition'? And really, then you get into a conversation that Geno is not just a 2nd round pick, but the guy they hope is the future QB.  And if he isn't, it's a bad pick instead of just another also ran like KC where it doesn't really matter.

I think the Sanchez thing was a bit dumb, but it's one of those injuries. He could have gotten hurt in the first quarter.  that's just life.   Or he could have gotten hurt in week 1 of the real season.   You can't really just make decisions based off of hoping nobody ever gets injured.    Especially considering Geno Smith has shown nothing so far that he's actually an NFL QB.

The problem at this point is Geno hasn't proven anything.  He barely played in game 1,  he didn't play game 2, he sucked in game 3, and now he probably won't play in game 4.   Even if he just played a few series or the first quarter, it helps with playing in an actual game.    Even if its a pointless preseason game, it's still something.   Considering he hasn't looked good at all, it's something he needs.    

And what happens if Simms goes out and looks like a HOF against Eagles backups?    It would mean Simms was the best QB all summer and really never had a legit shot anyway, so whats the point in having a 'qb competition'? And really, then you get into a conversation that Geno is not just a 2nd round pick, but the guy they hope is the future QB.  And if he isn't, it's a bad pick instead of just another also ran like KC where it doesn't really matter.

I think the Sanchez thing was a bit dumb, but it's one of those injuries. He could have gotten hurt in the first quarter.  that's just life.   Or he could have gotten hurt in week 1 of the real season.   You can't really just make decisions based off of hoping nobody ever gets injured.    Especially considering Geno Smith has shown nothing so far that he's actually an NFL QB.

Pretty much. It's not as if Sanchez got hurt because one of our UPS driver lineman missed a block. It was just one of those plays. The hit wasnt even that bad.

And can you imagine if Geno or Mangold or someone else on that first team got hurt?! LMAO It would be a sh*t storm like we have never seen.

And it would be the same people complaining about them getting hurt who are complaining now that he should play this game.

Seriously **** the beat writers in this city. At this point I wish Rex would just completely lose it, jump down off the podium at his next presser and stuff Rich Cimini's head up Manish Mehta's ass.

I would start a Kickstarter campaign to pay Rex' bail money if he did that lol

Pretty much. It's not as if Sanchez got hurt because one of our UPS driver lineman missed a block. It was just one of those plays. The hit wasnt even that bad.

someone said it in a different thread but Mark played thru a shoulder injury in 2011 (?) and he's not really looked great since then. Not to blame it all on the shoulder (certainly his head has played a part) but I agree it was not that vicious of a hit. But it is a bad hit if the shoulder is already damaged. 

I don't understand the line of thinking in this thread either.  People saying it's stupid that he's not going to play, yet, if anything he would get maybe one series.  Unless you have a 19 play series, you're really not getting that much work in.  Let's say they go 3 and out or get a couple of first downs and fizzle after like 6 or 7 plays.  Do those 6 or 7 plays really have that much difference?  Hell no.

Sanchez is hurt.  McElroy is hurt now.  And people want to risk an injury to Geno?  Unbelievable.  The risk just isn't worth it IMO.  One more series in preseason isn't going to make him suddenly turn on the light bulb and light it up during the regular season.  I'm just glad that some of the idiots posting in this thread (and other threads) who are flipping out over this have nothing to do with the team.

I also know that if Geno did play and did get hurt that these same idiots would be the first to complain about the Jets playing him in the first place.  Whiners will bitch and complain about anything, it doesn't matter.

Thanks.  For a while I was really starting to wonder about this place.  I mean I totally understand why people wouldn't have been able to understand my post about Geno focusing on fundamentals and muscle memory.  If someone is not a trained pedagogue/coach, there's no way they could understand it.  But they can and should be able to understand that both Sanchez and McElroy are hurt, as they should be able to understand how those future truck drivers and bag boys will be flying around and while the percentages of Geno or Mangold getting hurt may be relatively small, it's just not worth taking ANY risk for such a small return.  As you point out, for it to do any good at all, he'd have to play into the 3rd qtr, and the risks of injury go up precipitously, especially since he's still recovering from the ankle sprain.  

The level of panic by a number of posters on this board is among the worst I've ever seen.  It's like the Jets were preseason Super Bowl favorites and now due to injuries, that's all at risk.  It's like they've never watched football before or understand that this is a rebuilding year and the Jets' record is not going to be good.

Thanks.  For a while I was really starting to wonder about this place.  I mean I totally understand why people wouldn't have been able to understand my post about Geno focusing on fundamentals and muscle memory.  If someone is not a trained pedagogue/coach, there's no way they could understand it.  But they can and should be able to understand that both Sanchez and McElroy are hurt, as they should be able to understand how those future truck drivers and bag boys will be flying around and while the percentages of Geno or Mangold getting hurt may be relatively small, it's just not worth taking ANY risk for such a small return.  As you point out, for it to do any good at all, he'd have to play into the 3rd qtr, and the risks of injury go up precipitously, especially since he's still recovering from the ankle sprain.  

The level of panic by a number of posters on this board is among the worst I've ever seen.  It's like the Jets were preseason Super Bowl favorites and now due to injuries, that's all at risk.  It's like they've never watched football before or understand that this is a rebuilding year and the Jets' record is not going to be good.

+1

Archived