Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson..... Clowney????

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clowney 3 first half tackles, and that was it for him. He got some good pressure, but he was off the field a ton resting and looked fat and out of game shape. He wasn't #1 pick worthy last night, that's for sure. 

He looked "fat"?...lol. I dont know about that.  He definitely was out of shape though...he was gassed.  Hands on the hips, taking plays off, on the sideline a lot.  He was no where near the #1 overall pick, he wasnt even in Suh territory.

Other than DET and maybe SF, is there a team in the NFL that needs a DL less than us?  Not saying you don't take him if he's there, but we have heavily overinvested in DL the last few years and while I'm excited about it, I don't see how another DE is the best fit for the Jets as they are currently constructed. 

Honestly, in that situation, I'd hope Bridgewater and at least one other QB look 'franchise' worthy and try to reap a ransom for trading down to slots 2 or 3 and still get the QB you really need.

Given our current makeup, would you rather have Clowney, even if he's all that, or Bridgewater, a 3rd rounder in 2014 and a 1st rounder in 2015 (comparable to the Manning-Rivers trade)?  I think I'm leaning B. 

Other than DET and maybe SF, is there a team in the NFL that needs a DL less than us?  Not saying you don't take him if he's there, but we have heavily overinvested in DL the last few years and while I'm excited about it, I don't see how another DE is the best fit for the Jets as they are currently constructed. 

Honestly, in that situation, I'd hope Bridgewater and at least one other QB look 'franchise' worthy and try to reap a ransom for trading down to slots 2 or 3 and still get the QB you really need.

Given our current makeup, would you rather have Clowney, even if he's all that, or Bridgewater, a 3rd rounder in 2014 and a 1st rounder in 2015 (comparable to the Manning-Rivers trade)?  I think I'm leaning B. 

qb's are hit or miss. once in a generation defenders usually are pretty good. if bridgewater turns out to be average or less,and the clown is the next Lawrence taylor,those extra draft picks don't look so appealing

Good points.  That said, if Clowney becomes the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor as a pass rushing terror and Bridgewater (or whatever QB the Jets took) and the other picks all turned out to just be pedestrian type players, the Jets and Idzik would look pretty stupid, especially since they haven't had the opportunity (or at least haven't taken the opportunity save for Gholston) to draft a stud pass rusher in the last 15 years or so and that's been their biggest need other than a true franchise QB.

Of course, if they passed up a big trade opportunity then Clowney got hurt or didn't prove to be the second coming of LT, then they'd look pretty foolish too.

I totally get both sides of this.  BPA might say you take the LT level talent.  But there is that QB premium.  Let me put it this way, if you could have JJ Watt or Colin Kaepernick on the Jets right now, who would you take.

One is probably the best defensive player in the league (apologies to Richard Sherman:) ) and young to boot.  The other is a young, top-10 QB with the potential to be a franchise guy for years to come.  I don't think there's any denying that Watt is more dominant at this time, possibly a game-changer.  But who's addition would result in more victories? 

With QB, positional need probably has to come into play more than anywhere else, right?

I totally get both sides of this.  BPA might say you take the LT level talent.  But there is that QB premium.  Let me put it this way, if you could have JJ Watt or Colin Kaepernick on the Jets right now, who would you take.

One is probably the best defensive player in the league (apologies to Richard Sherman:) ) and young to boot.  The other is a young, top-10 QB with the potential to be a franchise guy for years to come.  I don't think there's any denying that Watt is more dominant at this time, possibly a game-changer.  But who's addition would result in more victories? 

With QB, positional need probably has to come into play more than anywhere else, right?

Watt because he has fewer tattoos!  LOL

Seriously, good post and question.  That's a really tough decision.  Watt's been great for two seasons, Kapernick very good for only part of one.  He has a ton of potential, but running the ball he could easily get hurt.  It's less likely that Watt would get injured.  QB is the more important position of the two in general, but Watt is so dominant and is a game changer.

That said, the difference between Watt and Wilk is less than the difference between Kapernick and any Jets QB, so in this situation I'd go with Kapernick.

With all things being equal however, 9 times out of 10 I might opt for Watt.  That may only be due to the fact that I've been more desperate for a stud pass rusher for the Jets for more years than I've been desperate for a stud QB.  I guess I've already given up hope that the Jets will ever get a stud QB.  Sigh.

How long have you been a Jets fan?  

You know damn well that nothing works out that well for the Jets.  They wont suck enough, end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick, take Bridgewater and then proceed to watch him and Geno battle out to be the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Or, the Jets do somehow get it right and suck enough for Clowney, and he'll suffer a career ending injury on his way up to the podium on draft day. 

I said this the other day, it's naive to think there's a consolation prize after a bad season with this team.

Herm tanked, we got Mangini - but not rid of Pennington.

We got rid of Pennington, we got Favre - but during the only time of his career where his arm got hurt.

Mangini tanked, we got Rex - but not an experienced QB, we got Sanchez instead.

Rex tanked, we got rid of everyone possible - except Rex and Sanchez.

So the theme next year should be Rex and Sanchez tanked, again - but we won just enough games to avoid a draft pick that helps us improve.

Hell, didn't Herm win a 4th game in his final year here, late in the season, and totally screw our draft position up? Pretty sure he did. 

I said this the other day, it's naive to think there's a consolation prize after a bad season with this team.

Herm tanked, we got Mangini - but not rid of Pennington.

We got rid of Pennington, we got Favre - but during the only time of his career where his arm got hurt.

Mangini tanked, we got Rex - but not an experienced QB, we got Sanchez instead.

Rex tanked, we got rid of everyone possible - except Rex and Sanchez.

So the theme next year should be Rex and Sanchez tanked, again - but we won just enough games to avoid a draft pick that helps us improve.

Hell, didn't Herm win a 4th game in his final year here, late in the season, and totally screw our draft position up? Pretty sure he did. 

It's hard to argue with any of that.  That's Jets history (and luck) in a nutshell.  I'm a big believer that we make our own "luck" and I blame things never changing on the sorry, clueless owners the team has had.

He looked "fat"?...lol. I dont know about that.  He definitely was out of shape though...he was gassed.  Hands on the hips, taking plays off, on the sideline a lot.  He was no where near the #1 overall pick, he wasnt even in Suh territory.

Good maybe, he'll fall to where were picking, cause I highly doubt anyone that know anythings about the Jets defense sees them picking top 3.

clowney isnt have a great statistical season cause everyone running away from him but damn he is good

Beats everyone who tries blocking him / just saw keep up with a rb

I think it'd be more accurate to say that he didn't have a great statistical game, considering it is only week two of the season and their game against georgia hasn't even kicked off yet.  

People will sh*t on the kid all year if he plays tentative, but it's hard to fault the kid when he was physically and mentally ready to come out last year and was only held back by a bogus rule.  He played his balls off his first two years and I won't blame him if he's afraid of getting injured and ruining his career this year. 

I think it'd be more accurate to say that he didn't have a great statistical game, considering it is only week two of the season and their game against georgia hasn't even kicked off yet.  

People will sh*t on the kid all year if he plays tentative, but it's hard to fault the kid when he was physically and mentally ready to come out last year and was only held back by a bogus rule.  He played his balls off his first two years and I won't blame him if he's afraid of getting injured and ruining his career this year. 

? 2 min before i wrote the post he had a sack turn it on ur missing a great game lol.

I doubt he will be a Heisman candidate but im sure anyone would love to have him on their team. Number 1 pick i bet

? 2 min before i wrote the post he had a sack turn it on ur missing a great game lol.

I doubt he will be a Heisman candidate but im sure anyone would love to have him on their team. Number 1 pick i bet

The Twitter fake-scout hand-wringing about Clowney is hysterical.

Son of a bitch, I got my time zones screwed up again. Halftime now, how's he looking besides the sack??  Hey, I'm all for teams and scouts souring on him and his "work ethic," only helps him falling to us!  

The Twitter fake-scout hand-wringing about Clowney is hysterical.

Probably the same pitch-fork wielders who were cursing the NFL for not allowing players to come out early and the same ones who will say how he should have sat out the season if he gets hurt.

I hope Marqise Lee and Clowney get ripped apart this season by all the scouts so one of them drops to us. 

Gurley

Gurley is an absolute animal, the only thing that saves Georgia, why they do anything else but feed him the ball is beyond me.  Bad hand off, defenders in the backfield, poor blocking? No problem, he makes up for it.  Actually reminds me a bit of Marshawn Lynch in his time at Cal when I watch him, I'd just be worried about his health through a full 16 games. 

Son of a bitch, I got my time zones screwed up again. Halftime now, how's he looking besides the sack??  Hey, I'm all for teams and scouts souring on him and his "work ethic," only helps him falling to us!  

freakish quickness, but runs himself out of a lot of plays

gastineau 1.5

lol hes looking good. He beats the blocker every time. Looked really fast while chasing a rb and keeping up with him.

Problem is they are so focused on him that the plays rarely come his way. Opening up a lot on the other side of the D tho

I just cant get over how fast he looks beating lineman (his sack was probably around 2 seconds and he had the qb down)

freakish quickness, but runs himself out of a lot of plays

gastineau 1.5

lol hes looking good. He beats the blocker every time. Looked really fast while chasing a rb and keeping up with him.

Problem is they are so focused on him that the plays rarely come his way. Opening up a lot on the other side of the D tho

I just cant get over how fast he looks beating lineman (his sack was probably around 2 seconds and he had the qb down)

What's going to happen, is that with a full two years of tape on this kid, they're going to scheme against him and you'll see someone like Chaz Sutton have a better year and then some talking head trying to make a bold statement will say "Clowney wasn't even the best DE on his team," which will get parroted around the message boards all off-season, only to see the kid not even come close to making it out of the top 5. He's extremely impressive, but as Larz mentioned, still not perfect. 

What's going to happen, is that with a full two years of tape on this kid, they're going to scheme against him and you'll see someone like Chaz Sutton have a better year and then some talking head trying to make a bold statement will say "Clowney wasn't even the best DE on his team," which will get parroted around the message boards all off-season, only to see the kid not even come close to making it out of the top 5. He's extremely impressive, but as Larz mentioned, still not perfect. 

he can be coached up of course, his raw skills are out of this world, but can he cover ? can he play the run ?

how much will you pay a smaller john abraham with less interest in playing the run ?

sure, a strip sack in the 4th quarter can win the game, but I bet he winds up playing for his original team and then leaving for the huge pay day just like abe

Gurley is an absolute animal, the only thing that saves Georgia, why they do anything else but feed him the ball is beyond me.  Bad hand off, defenders in the backfield, poor blocking? No problem, he makes up for it.  Actually reminds me a bit of Marshawn Lynch in his time at Cal when I watch him, I'd just be worried about his health through a full 16 games. 

This kid Davis on South Carolina aint to shabby either. James Davis' younger brother.

Archived