Randy Lange: Jets Move 22,Get Down to 53

flgreen

Jets Move 22, Get Down to 53-Man Active Roster

Posted 7 minutes ago

Randy Lange Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar 

The Jets have made 22 transactions today to get their roster down to the NFL's mandated 53-player limit.

QB Greg McElroy was the biggest name among the players released. McElroy, the seventh-round draft choice in 2011, was released with an injury.

Other veterans released included DT Antonio Garay, WRs Ben Obomanu and Mohamed Massaquoi — two of four wideouts released — and recently signed K Dan Carpenter and T Jason Smith.

Also, RB Mike Goodson was moved from the Active/Non-Football Injury/Illness list to Reserve/Suspended and will not count against our roster for four weeks.

Here is the complete list of 22 transactions to reduce the Jets' active roster from 70 to 53 players, by position:

QB (1) — Greg McElroy (with an injury)

RB (2) — Mike Goodson (Reserve/Suspended), Mossis Madu

WR (4) — Michael Campbell, Mohamed Massaquoi, Ben Obomanu, Zach Rogers

TE (1) — Chris Pantale

OL (3) — Erik Cook, J.B. Shugarts, Jason Smith

DL (4) — Junior Aumavae, Lanier Coleman, Tevita Finau, Antonio Garay

LB (3) — Troy Davis, JoJo Dickson, Jacquies Smith

DB (3) — Royce Adams, Mike Edwards, Rontez Miles

K (1) — Dan Carpenter

And this is how our final-53 roster looks tonight, in alphabetical order by position:

QB (4) — Graham Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Matt Simms, Geno Smith

RB (4) — Kahlil Bell, Tommy Bohanon, Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell

WR (5) — Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Ryan Spadola

TE (3) — Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland, Kellen Winslow

OL (9) — Oday Aboushi, Will Campbell, Willie Colon, Vladimir Ducasse, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard, Nick Mangold, Caleb Schlauderaff, Brian Winters

DL (5) — Leger Douzable, Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson

LB (10) — Antwan Barnes, Nick Bellore, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, David Harris, Danny Lansanah, Josh Mauga, Garrett McIntyre, Calvin Pace, Ricky Sapp

DB (10) — Antonio Allen, Josh Bush, Antonio Cromartie, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Dawan Landry, Ellis Lankster, Dee Milliner, Isaiah Trufant, Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson

ST (3) — Nick Folk, Robert Malone, Tanner Purdum

FINALLY !!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS !!!!

thank god jason smith is gone.  

obamanu mild suprise.  

harrell big surprise, but he's gone when nacho gets back

congrats spadola, hill,  bohanon, douzable and campbell !!!!

Just my reaction

I'm surprised they are only keeping 5 WR's   Think they'll be 6 when it's all over.    Rogers is going to PS.  Think before season is over he'll  be on 53

Thought Aboushi would be moved to PS.  Guy was really bad.

Douzable ...................... Just got to mention this guy.  Really looks like a player

This defensive unit looks like a 4-3 roster, Sapp, Coples, Pace, and Barnes could have been listed as DL.  It really is a mix of 5 DT's, 4 MLB's, and 6 OLB/DE, and gotta love that their really isn't a true name for the defense Rex Ryan actually runs, it is ever changing formations, and so different than anything anyone else has ever run that you can't even put a label on what the Jets run as a base formation.  It should always be listed as type of defense: Rex Ryan's instead of a 4-3, 3-4, or 46.

I am surprised Obama is gone, only cause this board is in love with him for no real apparent football reasons. 

For no apparent football reasons?  He's not a bad receiver and he's good on STs.  There's more a reason to keep him that there is Harrell, Aboushi or Will Campbell.  Guess they really like Aboushi's and Campbell's potential, and Harrell is just insurance for Sanchez.  Obomanu may be back after the 1st game if someone else doesn't scoop him up.

McElroy truly must have been the "source" for Mehta and Cimini. If so, I'm glad he's gone; otherwise I see no reason to keep Harrell and cut McElroy.

For no apparent football reasons?  He's not a bad receiver and he's good on STs.  There's more a reason to keep him that there is Harrell, Aboushi or Will Campbell.  Guess they really like Aboushi's and Campbell's potential, and Harrell is just insurance for Sanchez.  Obomanu may be back after the 1st game if someone else doesn't scoop him up.

McElroy truly must have been the "source" for Mehta and Cimini. If so, I'm glad he's gone; otherwise I see no reason to keep Harrell and cut McElroy.

Obomanu hasn't been a good receiver either. A lot of people play special teams, thats not a big deal. He did nothing notable or remarkable. 

Your idea that he should be kept more than the others is ridiculous.

Harrell is just here cause he just stepped off the plane. he won't be for long. He was a notable winner in college. Scheme or not. Winner is a winner.

Aboushi was a draft pick. 

Campbell is young, huge, and has upside for the future.

McElroy served zero purpose here. 

Obomanu hasn't been a good receiver either. A lot of people play special teams, thats not a big deal. He did nothing notable or remarkable. 

Your idea that he should be kept more than the others is ridiculous.

Harrell is just here cause he just stepped off the plane. he won't be for long. He was a notable winner in college. Scheme or not. Winner is a winner.

Aboushi was a draft pick. 

Campbell is young, huge, and has upside for the future.

McElroy served zero purpose here. 

So Aboushi was a draft pick.  He sucked in preseason.  Didn't appear to have much at all.  I doubt the Jets would have had any problems stashing him on the PS.  Yes, Campbell has a ton of upside, but he's very raw.  No one is gonna sign him to their 53 man roster.  He could have gone on the PS as well.  

Obomanu is a better receiver than you claim and maybe a lot of people play STs, but not as well as Obomanu has in the past.  Possibly he's lost a step.  Either way, it's not a big deal with Obomanu, I was just surprised.  He would have perhaps given some veteran leadership to the young guys, but since the team isn't going anywhere this year, I'm happy they kept younger guys at other positions over Obomanu.  

Harrell is a waste of a roster spot.  He's more wiener than winner.

So Aboushi was a draft pick.  He sucked in preseason.  Didn't appear to have much at all.  I doubt the Jets would have had any problems stashing him on the PS.  Yes, Campbell has a ton of upside, but he's very raw.  No one is gonna sign him to their 53 man roster.  He could have gone on the PS as well.  

Obomanu is a better receiver than you claim and maybe a lot of people play STs, but not as well as Obomanu has in the past.  Possibly he's lost a step.  Either way, it's not a big deal with Obomanu, I was just surprised.  He would have perhaps given some veteran leadership to the young guys, but since the team isn't going anywhere this year, I'm happy they kept younger guys at other positions over Obomanu.  

Harrell is a waste of a roster spot.  He's more wiener than winner.

Aboushi is a draft pick who is new to the nfl. He gets some space for that. Point is, being a draft pick gives him more value/time to learn. 

What are you talking about? Obomanu has been in the league a long time and has produced NOTHING. lol. His special teams performance has been phenomenal. Staying in your lane makes you a good special teamer? Come on. Let it go. He is of no consequence and would not have made this team better in any way.

Like I said, Harrell won't be here long. 

FWIW: Rex Ryan was down at Clemson today, watching his son play football. You'd think he'd want to, as the head coach and all, be in the building to evaluate whether or not to go after other teams' cuts, no?

This is the New Jets, the Adults are in charge.

Idzik "Rex you go run out and play" the grown ups have work to do.

FWIW: Rex Ryan was down at Clemson today, watching his son play football. You'd think he'd want to, as the head coach and all, be in the building to evaluate whether or not to go after other teams' cuts, no?

they have been installing the bucs gameplan since before the eagles game.  if a decision needed his input, they probably called him on one of these new things called a phone

why does he need to be in the building ?  to smell the xerox paper ?

they have been installing the bucs gameplan since before the eagles game. if a decision needed his input, they probably called him on one of these new things called a phone

why does he need to be in the building ? to smell the xerox paper ?

In truth, he phoned it in for 17 weeks last season, so it's no big deal.

STFU

Yeah, I take it back after doing some research on what other coaches were doing:

Tom Coughlin: Was at Home Depot by 8:15 a.m., purchased ten panels (120 lf) of stockade fencing, three bags (75 lbs.) of Scott's Weed and Feed, a combo set of Makita drill bits, two boxes of 6D galvanized split-shank nails, and four boxes of Pergo Ultimate flooring in the color Western Chestnut. He was home by 10:27 a.m., where he did some work in the garden, vacuumed out the mud-room to prep it for the Pergo install, then chalked a line in his backyard where the stockade fencing will go. He was displeased that the tree-line would keep the fence from running dead straight. Inquired with neighbors in reference to the name of their "yard guy." He was told his name was "Alejandro Gomez" and was informed that Gomez works only for cash, and does an excellent job. Despite Coughlin's suspicions, he decides to call Gomez (whose name is actually "Roberto Piñeda," and has been in the country illegally since March of 2009). Coughlin proceeded to have a light dinner at that nice little Italian place, then came home to check on the Giants cuts on ESPN.com. This is the text exchange he shared with Jerry Reese at 9:27 p.m.:

image-16.jpg

Aboushi is a draft pick who is new to the nfl. He gets some space for that. Point is, being a draft pick gives him more value/time to learn. 

What are you talking about? Obomanu has been in the league a long time and has produced NOTHING. lol. His special teams performance has been phenomenal. Staying in your lane makes you a good special teamer? Come on. Let it go. He is of no consequence and would not have made this team better in any way.

Like I said, Harrell won't be here long. 

LOL  Whatever.  YOU'RE the one who keeps making comments about Obomanu.  As I said, it's not a big deal.  I was just surprised. 

Oh so you're the expert and we should just all listen to your opinions.  I see.  You need to get over yourself.

He's only around till the 3rd stringer's shoulder is ok

I realize that, but I wouldn't have kept him at all.  Unless his knee is really bad, I'd have kept McElroy over Harrell.  Harrell is useless.  He doesn't know the offense and he's not even as good as McElroy (not that that's saying much).

I realize that, but I wouldn't have kept him at all.  Unless his knee is really bad, I'd have kept McElroy over Harrell.  Harrell is useless.  He doesn't know the offense and he's not even as good as McElroy (not that that's saying much).

I think it's all about the knee. Neither player is good enough to be the Jets third string QB (think about that for a second), and only one of them is reasonably healthy.

Archived