So much negativity around here...what if Geno can actually play?

LionelRichie

There is so much negativity around this team right now.  It seems like everyone, media included, is piling on Rex, Idzik, and Geno.    There is more negativity around this team than there was around Herm's Bollywood season.  

So what happens if Geno can actually play?    I like what I saw from Morningwig's offense in the preseason, Holmes is coming back, and I don't think we saw the "real" running game yet. 

You know Rex will put together a competent defense - so does the entire season really come down to Geno?    Is it even possible to play worse than Sanchez last season?     If Geno plays well how many games can this team win?    

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if Geno plays well I feel this team could win 9 games. Possibly 10. If he limits turnovers and takes some pressure off the D then the D will be a top 5 type D. 

Decent QB play with a top D automatically gets you 7-9 wins, as we learned last year. So if he actually plays well I dont think 9 or 10 would be crazy.

BUT from what we have seen with him, why would any of us think he will even be decent?

If Geno can play, it means the Jets have a real live QB, which is a scenario I always assumed would cause the universe to collapse in upon itself.

lol

I was going to say he would lose his left foot in a freak boating accident during the bye week

That's a huge "if" based on how bad he looked in his only pre-season action. It's just so frustrating because I feel like, once again, the defense will be good enough to carry this team deep in the post-season if they even had just decent QB play, but even that may be too tall an order....again.

Did you watch him last year in college and so far this year? He's just not very good. Maybe he will be maybe not but at least Sanchez is on the sideline for a while.

Seriously, the hate on this board is ridiculous. Yeah he sh*t the bed against the Giants. Big ******* deal, it was his first preseason game and he sucked. He had a bad day get over it. People are acting like one game decides whether or not someone sucks. SMH, as for college, yeah I watched him. He had insane numbers, madden like, his first few games. And guess what he dropped off, but you know what, he was still really ******* good. This hate is getting ridiculous. I guess we should have drafted Manuel at number 9 cause omg, guess what, he did alright in preseason. As if that means anything.

Seriously, the hate on this board is ridiculous. Yeah he sh*t the bed against the Giants. Big ******* deal, it was his first preseason game and he sucked. He had a bad day get over it. People are acting like one game decides whether or not someone sucks. SMH, as for college, yeah I watched him. He had insane numbers, madden like, his first few games. And guess what he dropped off, but you know what, he was still really ******* good. This hate is getting ridiculous. I guess we should have drafted Manuel at number 9 cause omg, guess what, he did alright in preseason. As if that means anything.

The hate on all these forums with a bunch of morons that have limited if any football knowledge.  I feel sorry for Geno having to play for some of the worst fans in sports history!!

Yes, it's always amazing when joe fan can accurately assess a rookie's pro potential in one game.  Makes me wonder why they aren't working in the NFL if they're that much smarter than the scouts, position coaches, coordinators, HCs, and GMs in the NFL.

The hate on all these forums with a bunch of morons that have limited if any football knowledge.  I feel sorry for Geno having to play for some of the worst fans in sports history!!

Naw, nfl fans in general suck. That's why you see all these fights, drunk as sh*t people puking everywhere, etc. at football games.

I think New York Mick needs to Google Geno's college stats. If that is sucking, then nearly every college QB must suck.

He had the fastest WR in football since Chris Johnson.. if not faster and then The most reliable hands ever in Bailey... Bailey is a pure possion WR he never had to worry. Plus he stayed in shot gun and like 88% of their teams plays on offense were throws. And when he DID get chased out of the pocket he DID show the same paranoia he showed in the game vs NYG. Call it critics but there IS a reason he dropped from a top 5 pick to the second round and if we wouldn't of got him.

. Maybe even mid to late 2nd round

Yes, it's always amazing when joe fan can accurately assess a rookie's pro potential in one game.  Makes me wonder why they aren't working in the NFL if they're that much smarter than the scouts, position coaches, coordinators, HCs, and GMs in the NFL.

Seriously, one freaking game, and apparently he's already a bust.

He had the fastest WR in football since Chris Johnson.. if not faster and then The most reliable hands ever in Bailey... Bailey is a pure possion WR he never had to worry. Plus he stayed in shot gun and like 88% of their teams plays on offense were throws. And when he DID get chased out of the pocket he DID show the same paranoia he showed in the game vs NYG. Call it critics but there IS a reason he dropped from a top 5 pick to the second round and if we wouldn't of got him.

Are you kidding me right now? Way to forget about the fact that he was given complete control on field to audible. He also audibled a sh*t ton which helped his wide receivers get open. Also, what about his o line. He had a crap o line and moved around well in the pocket. He stepped up and wasn't afraid to take the hits for his team. Not to mention the fact that he had a crap defense that basically relied on him having to drive the offense down the field and score every freakin time they had the ball. He was basically in a shoot out every time.

So, Geno was the first pro QB to play with good talent in college? I guess AJ McCarron sucks too because he is on a great team. Why don't we wait and see how he does.

So, Geno was the first pro QB to play with good talent in college? I guess AJ McCarron sucks too because he is on a great team. Why don't we wait and see how he does.

lololol aj mccarron even knows hes gonna suck in nfl if he can even find a job. He said it himself when deciding to stay at alabama another year

There is so much negativity around this team right now.  It seems like everyone, media included, is piling on Rex, Idzik, and Geno.    There is more negativity around this team than there was around Herm's Bollywood season.  

So what happens if Geno can actually play?    I like what I saw from Morningwig's offense in the preseason, Holmes is coming back, and I don't think we saw the "real" running game yet. 

You know Rex will put together a competent defense - so does the entire season really come down to Geno?    Is it even possible to play worse than Sanchez last season?     If Geno plays well how many games can this team win?    

I think saying that the whole season coming down to Geno is overstating things a bit.  Yes, the QB position is THE most important on the team, but there are 53 players on the roster for a reason.  There are something like 6-7 new starters on D.  Even with Rex's being a very good, if not great DC, there are gonna be some rookie mistakes by Milliner and/or Allen or Jarrett and maybe Richardson and Davis as well.

Then there are two new starters on the OL, with one of them being Vlad.  Will the OL gel and give Geno time to throw the ball?  Will Winslow stay healthy?  Will the receivers catch the ball?  Will the running game flourish or flop?  

If a bunch of those questions are answered in the negative, Geno can't be expected to carry the team.

I can't even begin to guess how many wins they have this season, and to be truthful, I really don't care how many wins they have.  The most important thing for me is finding out who are keepers, and developing those keepers.  

Depending upon the job Rex and the rest of the CS do, how well the youngsters play, especially Geno, I could see this team winning anywhere between 4-10 games.  With all things being equal, if Geno can solidify his fundamentals early on and is more poised and better than many Jets fans think, his floor (if he starts the whole season) is around 6 wins and his ceilng with the team's other limitations is probably around 10-11 wins.  

You need a hug?

For reals.

Any QB that gets rattled to the point of just being flat out dominated by Syracuse three straight years, is probably not the future.  There is a reason - despite those great numbers, that he fell to the 2nd round. In what experts say might possibly be the weakest QB draft class in the past decade, no less.  He has a good arm and he's athletic - but he's never played in an NFL system and he's known to be a nervous wreck under adversity.  

Any QB that gets rattled to the point of just being flat out dominated by Syracuse three straight years, is probably not the future.  There is a reason - despite those great numbers, that he fell to the 2nd round. In what experts say might possibly be the weakest QB draft class in the past decade, no less.  He has a good arm and he's athletic - but he's never played in an NFL system and he's known to be a nervous wreck under adversity.  

Aaron Rodgers fell to the bottom of the first round when he was considered to be a sure top 10 pick. Case in point, it doesn't mean anything. Geno's future is uncertain. To write him off after one game is beyond ridiculous. 

Yeah, that reason is called go look at the teams that were QB needy and get back to me.

It's much easier to sound like an idiot being positive than negative, but I think it's way too early to rush to judgement right now. I think we need to see him for more than one preseason game before we start calling him a bust. Peyton Manning threw three interceptions in each of his first two professional games and then followed that up with a two interception game. Is Geno Smith Peyton Manning? Of course not, but Jesus, maybe the kid actually learned something in the Giants game. It's entirely possible. If he doesn't show improvement, we'll be in for a long season followed by a draft of Bridgewater, Boyd or someone else that emerges at the position plus we'll be 40mil or so under the cap, from what I understand. I, for one, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Guys like Don LaGreca say Geno Smith "is no Russell Wilson" and keep repeating that line. The media piles on him. For what? One pre-season game? The piling on began even before that!!! They have been after this kid from the moment the Jets drafted him!

Like it or not, he was the near-consensus #1 QB in the draft. Even in a weak draft year, those guys always have a shot.

Archived