Geno Smith: Our Starter

Lizard King

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming

For just the second time in franchise history, the New York Jets will start a rookie signalcaller on opening day.

"We're going to go with Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif as our quarterback and we are excited about that,” head coach Rex Ryan told me of his Week 1 starter against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Smith and veteran Mark Sanchezicon-article-link.gif competed for the No. 1 position throughout training camp. After suffering an ankle injury in his preseason debut against the Detroit Lions, Smith toughed out some practices in addition to Week 3 game action against the Giants. Now heading into kickoff weekend, Smith is in a good spot physically.

"That part was important for him to get those practice reps in as well, and I think his confidence physically is at a high level right now,” said offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. “He came out the other day and looked like he was 100 percent."

"Learning Marty's system, he really did a tremendous job, as did all the quarterbacks,” Ryan said of Smith. “I think he really fits the system. He's a guy who is very accurate with the football, he has good mobility in the pocket and he's adjusting to the speed of the game."

While Mornhinweg said Smith is “back running and gunning” at the controls, Sanchez has not practiced since suffering an injury to his throwing shoulder in the Jets’ OT triumph over New York's NFC representative.

"It's unfortunate that Mark was injured, obviously, but he is working extremely hard to get back,” said Ryan when I asked him how much health factored into the decision. “But he's just not ready right now. It's similar to last week — we knew he wasn't ready then. He's not ready now and we'll see what the future holds as we move forward.”

The 6’3”, 221-pound Smith, who was selected No. 39 overall in April’s draft, recorded a 26-13 record as starter at West Virginia. After passing for 11,662 yards in his college career with 98 TDs and just 21 INTs, Smith appeared in two preseason contests, completing 60% of his passes with 1 TD and 3 INTs.

"I know the entire team is confident,” Ryan said. “We are definitely confident that Geno's out there and I think all of our guys are looking forward to see what he can do. It's a tough test going against Revis and two Pro Bowl safeties. It's going to be a test, but it's one we're excited about.”

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9633281/new-york-jets-name-rookie-geno-smith-start-opener

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Geno Smith era starts now.

As expected, the New York Jets will start the rookie quarterback in the season opener Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team announced Wednesday. The last time they started a rookie in Week 1 was 2009, when it was Mark Sanchez, whom Smith is replacing.

The choice became obvious in recent days. The Jets tried to keep it secret, but Sanchez was ruled out for the game with a bruised joint in his throwing shoulder, sources said.

On paper, Sanchez outplayed Smith in the preseason, but it became clear over the last two weeks the organization wanted to make a change. Smith was handed the job despite missing a game with a sprained ankle and despite a three-interception debacle in the third game -- his only extended outing.

In one sense, the former West Virginia star won it by default, with Sanchez battling the shoulder injury. In all likelihood, Sanchez would've been named the starter if he hadn't been injured, sources said, but it created an opening for the organization to elevate Smith, albeit a huge risk.

It's conceivable that Sanchez may never play again for the Jets. There's no way the Jets will bench Smith if he's playing well. Sanchez could miss a few weeks because of the shoulder injury, sources said.

Sanchez will be the highest-paid backup in the NFL, earning a guaranteed $8.25 million -- part of a 2012 contract extension that prevented the team from unloading him in the offseason. He almost certainly will be jettisoned after the season.

It was an uneven summer for Smith, a second-round pick. He was terrific in the first two weeks of training camp, but he rolled an ankle in the first game and his performance took a dip. Curiously, he didn't get a chance to rest the ankle, aggravating it to the point where he had to sit the second game. The following week, with a chance to secure the job, he played poorly in three quarters.

Sanchez completed 64 percent of his passes for a 90.0 passer rating, but he committed three turnovers -- a painful reminder of his turnover-prone ways. He led the league with 52 turnovers in 2011 and 2012. Before that, he was considered the face of the franchise, a promising young quarterback who helped the Jets to back-to-back appearances in the AFC Championship Game.

Essentially, the crushing blow to his star-crossed career occurred in the third preseason game, when he was inserted in the fourth quarter with the backups -- a controversial decision by coach Rex Ryan -- and drilled outside the pocket by then-New York Giantsdefensive tackle Marvin Austin

I've been in the "anyone but Sanchez" camp since the Titans game last year.   I would roll with Smith, McElroy, or Simms and be happy. 

I don't think people fully grasp just how awful 52 turnovers in 2 years actually is.  

I do and I'm with ya.  Except for McElroy.  That dude sucks!  I'd have been pretty excited to see Simms get the nod but Geno is the future or at least, they need to figure out if he is or not...so, lets go Geno! (that has a nice ring to it)

It would be 3 picks obviously.

2 pick 6's too.

I do and I'm with ya.  Except for McElroy.  That dude sucks!  I'd have been pretty excited to see Simms get the nod but Geno is the future or at least, they need to figure out if he is or not...so, lets go Geno! (that has a nice ring to it)

2 pick 6's too.

I'm excited to see what Geno can do and I hope he is the answer.    That being said, I saw just enough of Simms in the preseason to want to see what he can do in a real NFL game.    The kid has an absolute cannon for an arm and seemed to put the ball right where he wanted it.   

Brady was a 6th rd pick, Romo was UDFA, Kurt Warner came out of nowhere, so why not Simms?    If any team is due for a break,especially at QB it's definitely this one.  

2 pick 6's too.

Sounds about right, one each to Revis and, of course, a DL.

Best case:  He's great.

Second best case:  He's terrible and we do poorly enough to draft a good QB next year.

Worst case:  9-7.

My biggest fear is the perpetual mediocrity.  It's like riding the tilt-a-whirl for hours in a bad car that never catches a hill and begins spinning.

Glad to see someone other than Sanchez too. No one is truly expecting this team to push for anything this yr unless they surprise the sh*t out of us. So, the whole who gives us better chance to win argument really doesn't matter. So what if on paper Sanchez gives us better chance to win what an extra game or two. So we win 8 games instead of 6 or 7. The bottom line is we know what he brings, he's had 4 full yrs to show he's making progress or taking the next step and he just hasn't. Still making rookie mental errors that should be long gone by now. It's time to see what Geno can do and how he can grow during this season. If he shows he can learn from mistakes that are inevitably going to happen then we can build off that. If he shows that he may not have what it takes then the Jets can look at potential replacements for next yr or in the future. Only one way to find out is with Geno on the field, especially with Sanchez being the alternative. Hopefully this kid can just play the game and take what's there and not turn the ball over at record rates like Marky Boy. If he can take care of the ball and let the D get rest maybe this time can actually knock some teams off this yr and surprise us.

Yes, because they were shaking in their boots at potentially having to face Senor Buttfumble.

hey call it what you want but he clearly won the competition and the Jets are a better team in the short term with him under center.

all that being said it's Genos time.  a quote from Red in Shawshank Redemption comes to mind:

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a new QB can generate, a new QB at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope Geno can limit turnovers. I hope to see the offense thrive. I hope Hill can catch the ball.... I hope."

hey call it what you want but he clearly won the competition and the Jets are a better team in the short term with him under center.

all that being said it's Genos time.  a quote from Red in Shawshank Redemption comes to mind:

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a new QB can generate, a new QB at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope Geno can limit turnovers. I hope to see the offense thrive. I hope Hill can catch the ball.... I hope."

lol

Well Sanchez haters will get what they asked for but I hope for the sake of sanity that it won't be Sanchez 2: Bigger and Blacker.

Anyway, I don't see this working out. Not sure he's ready and by week 4 we'll be back with Sanchez. At least I can give up hope now and focus on my fantasy teams.

Glad to see someone other than Sanchez too. No one is truly expecting this team to push for anything this yr unless they surprise the sh*t out of us. So, the whole who gives us better chance to win argument really doesn't matter. So what if on paper Sanchez gives us better chance to win what an extra game or two. So we win 8 games instead of 6 or 7. The bottom line is we know what he brings, he's had 4 full yrs to show he's making progress or taking the next step and he just hasn't. Still making rookie mental errors that should be long gone by now. It's time to see what Geno can do and how he can grow during this season. If he shows he can learn from mistakes that are inevitably going to happen then we can build off that. If he shows that he may not have what it takes then the Jets can look at potential replacements for next yr or in the future. Only one way to find out is with Geno on the field, especially with Sanchez being the alternative. Hopefully this kid can just play the game and take what's there and not turn the ball over at record rates like Marky Boy. If he can take care of the ball and let the D get rest maybe this time can actually knock some teams off this yr and surprise us.

There really is no doubt a healthy Sanchez gives us the best chance to win Sunday, but IMO he doesn't give us the best chance to win 6 weeks from now IF a G Smith, or M Simms gets 5 full games in the NFL under their belt, at worst they would be just as bad as Sanchez, so it's best to sacrifice the 1st few weeks with G Smith, and hope the other 52 players pick up the slack, and steal 3 wins.

Well Sanchez haters will get what they asked for but I hope for the sake of sanity that it won't be Sanchez 2: Bigger and Blacker.

Anyway, I don't see this working out. Not sure he's ready and by week 4 we'll be back with Sanchez. At least I can give up hope now and focus on my fantasy teams.

I sure as hell hope if we're 0-4, and sitting G Smith were giving M Simms a look before putting in Sanchez who you, and the players know what your getting, find out what you have with Simms, and if its dog sh*t like most suspect fine, now you know you need to draft another QB in 2014, and then you put in the QB that gives you the least chance to win B Quinn!

2014 draft 1st overall pick

Rd 1. J. Clowney

Rd 2. J. Manziel

Every other pick WR's. TE's, and RB's

Use cap space on OL, and Safety position

J Manziel becomes 1st QB to win the SB as a rookie FTW, Johnny Football alive, and breathing!!!!!!

Sanchez "haters" = Jets lovers

I guess we'll all have to wonder what could have been had Sanchez not gotten injured. 

Oh well, time to see what Genos got.  This should be interesting.

You mean you didn't see enough in the last 4 years to know? This would be the definition of crazy - doing the same thing, expecting different results!

I sure as hell hope if we're 0-4, and sitting G Smith were giving M Simms a look before putting in Sanchez who you, and the players know what your getting, find out what you have with Simms, and if its dog sh*t like most suspect fine, now you know you need to draft another QB in 2014, and then you put in the QB that gives you the least chance to win B Quinn!

They have these things called practices, where the coaches get to see the players first-hand day after day after day.  They see him making a lot more throws in practices and breaking down a lot more film than just a couple dozen snaps against future cut players.

This notion that they have no idea whatsoever what a player is like, unless you give him several games as starter, is ridiculous.  If Simms had separated him so obviously all summer long they'd have worked him in.  He has an experienced QBC and OC and they aren't blind.  The only ones who feel the need to hand him half a season "just to see what we've got" are the fans who don't get to see all this stuff.

2014 draft 1st overall pick

Rd 1. J. Clowney

Rd 2. J. Manziel

Every other pick WR's. TE's, and RB's

Use cap space on OL, and Safety position

J Manziel becomes 1st QB to win the SB as a rookie FTW, Johnny Football alive, and breathing!!!!!!

MANZIEL??????????

Man the media would love that.  Cimini and Mehta are offering lamb's to Baal right now.

The Jets won't be any where bad enough for Clowney

They have these things called practices, where the coaches get to see the players first-hand day after day after day. They see him making a lot more throws in practices and breaking down a lot more film than just a couple dozen snaps against future cut players.

This notion that they have no idea whatsoever what a player is like, unless you give him several games as starter, is ridiculous. If Simms had separated him so obviously all summer long they'd have worked him in. He has an experienced QBC and OC and they aren't blind. The only ones who feel the need to hand him half a season "just to see what we've got" are the fans who don't get to see all this stuff.

I said IF were sitting G Smith, wasn't calling for it, sometimes guys just have IT once the game starts, and there is no way practice can evaluate a QB 100% you need live bullets to really know what you have, what's the guy like when 300 pound lineman are trying to rip his head off, some QB's thrive, others fall apart, looking great, or bad with the Red non contact practice jersey doesn't completely evaluate the QB, it takes that last step of a real game, survival instincts kick in guys have it, or they don't!

Archived