Quick reactions - Jets-Bucs

nycdan

1) Geno made a few typical rookie mistakes but kept focused and showed some real potential today.  I was against him starting but I got on board when the decision was made and now I think it turned out to be the right one.  In particular, he shows a good sense of when to scramble and gets it done.  Some nice throws mixed in.  Not a bad start.

2) Our CBs were giving VJax and Williams way too much room on some plays, particularly some 3rd downs.  I was surprised Jackson was covered by Milliner a few times (through Cro would have him 100%) but he did a number on Cromartie also.  He could have a big year.  Wasn't impressed with Milliner but he didn't kill us either.

3) I know TB has a stout running defense but holy crap we need to do better.  Powell 12/29, Ivory 10/15.  That's a problem.

4) Winslow is this year's Laron Landry.  What a great pickup.  7/79 1 TD.  Just what a young QB needs!

5) The young bucks on defense, particularly Harrison, Davis and Allen, stepped up today.  Harris also was stout.  We stopped the run incredibly well today other than that one last rush.  Martin was 23/48 not counting that last 17 yard run.  Even with it, his avg. was below 3 ypc.  Oh..and we got to see that speed we heard Davis had.  Me likey!

6) Everyone glad Malone and Folk won the kicking battles?  Both guys were stellar.  Nice not having to worry about that for a week at least.

7) Do we have any WRs who weren't injured by Goldman today?  WTF?  They weren't really dirty hits, but holy crap.  Tell you the truth, I kind of want that guy on our side once he figures out how to not take multiple penalties in a single game.

What else ya got?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sun is shining brighter, the clouds are whiter the breeze is crisper and my beer is hoppier

geno actually improved as the game went on.  what a treat to watch

I think cro has some kind or groin or abdominal injury.  not himself

milliner looked ok for basically his first action

the d-line needs a nickname.

actually, when you consider the injuries and talant of the wepinz, smith performance was really impressive

the sun is shining brighter, the clouds are whiter the breeze is crisper and my beer is hoppier

actually, when you consider the injuries and talant of the wepinz, smith performance was really impressive

Milliner showed he can stay with the WRs, but needs to get his head turned around.  Hopefully he can do it.

Milliner showed he can stay with the WRs, but needs to get his head turned around.  Hopefully he can do it.

Saw that on a play to the right sideline.  Seemed like he just put his hand up in front of the WRs on that play.  It was an incompletion but I don't think he had much to do with it.  Agreed though.  We don't need another Wilson.

Oh one more thing....Revis looked pretty good today.  Glad Holmes got him for one at least.

That's like saying he is a really good driver, but only in a straight line.  He looks like he is a long way from being NFL ready, like a high 1st round pick should.

Revis was $16M of near irrelevancy today.

To be fair, he was pretty good in coverage.  Even he can't stop his teammates from making stupid penalties.  Still...they are paying him $1MM per game and he was involved in 4 plays, with 3 defenses and one completion.  So he got paid $333k per pass defended.  Nice work if you can get it.

That's like saying he is a really good driver, but only in a straight line.  He looks like he is a long way from being NFL ready, like a high 1st round pick should.

he missed all of camp.  that was like his first PS game.  I think he'll be fine

To be fair, he was pretty good in coverage.  Even he can't stop his teammates from making stupid penalties.  Still...they are paying him $1MM per game and he was involved in 4 plays, with 3 defenses and one completion.  So he got paid $333k per pass defended.  Nice work if you can get it.

He was good.  And they still lost.  That's the point.  A CB isn't worth $16M.  If he has the best game of his life, the team could still lose... 

Warmack>Milliner

I thought Milliner played fine.  You gotta know coming in to his rookie year - and being injured for some of camp - that he wasnt going to instantly step in and be stride for stride from what we saw from Revis in year 3 or even Cro in year 5.... 

For a rookie Cb in his 1st game going up against a proven NFL WR - he did pretty well.  Not great obviously - but he will learn as the season progresses. 

Warmack>Milliner

ATM I agree but I'm open to that changing.  I look at the Titans with Warmack and the CB Wilson they took in the 3rd and wonder how that will compare to Milliner and Winters on our end.  I was concerned about how many times the Bucs got through our OL untouched to pressure Geno.  Hope that gets fixed fast.

We have 4 wide receivers who would have to battle to make #3WR on any other NFL roster, and we have no running game whatsoever.  Gino looked great for a rookie, I like what I saw.  He made throws that Sanchez never makes, impressive poise and confidence in a rookie, I like.  It's amazing we won today, but this was mostly because our D-line was playing very well keeping us in the game, and Gino's will to win.  We won't win many games and Gino will have a very rough season if we don't get a running game going. 

We have 4 wide receivers who would have to battle to make #3WR on any other NFL roster, and we have no running game whatsoever.  Gino looked great for a rookie, I like what I saw.  He made throws that Sanchez never makes, impressive poise and confidence in a rookie, I like.  It's amazing we won today, but this was mostly because our D-line was playing very well keeping us in the game, and Gino's will to win.  We won't win many games and Gino will have a very rough season if we don't get a running game going. 

I gotta say Im happy to be eating my words leading up to this game for the time being.   With the OL being as atrocious as it was today - Geno hung in there and made things happen with both his arm and his feet.   Unless we find a way to magically improve our OL play I gotta believe that Geno gives us the best chance to win.  If its Sanchez back there we're seeing at least 2-3 more sacks and maybe another turnover as well.   No fault of his own - but the OL is sh*t and he lacks the athleticism to be able to get away that Geno has. 

Agreed.

.... and yet he is already thinking of the good old days at Roscoes Diner.

I'm going to stay positive because I might never get to be positive again:

You guys are harsh, Milliner improved a lot throughout the game. Both he and Geno took a while to settle in which is pretty normal for their first NFL games.

Davis' tackle was absolutely incredible. Was tough to praise at the time because I was seething over the catch but that was a game saver. Great hustle and athleticism. With Scott/Harris, that's a TD and the game's done.

GERMAN SUPLEXES FTW

When Mornhinwheg isn't calling retarded wildcat plays and tosses to WR's his play designs actually look pretty effcective. I saw some open recievers. Open Jets recievers. It's amazing. 

Tough to know where our running game is because the Bucs are immense against it but I was impressed by the tandem of Powell and Ivory. Compliment each other well. 

Our defensive line can be the best in the league. Beasts are everywhere. Can't wait to see this front 7 when Coples is 100%.

Archived