Quick reactions - Jets-Bucs

nycdan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milliner showed he can stay with the WRs, but needs to get his head turned around.  Hopefully he can do it.

When I saw that from Milliner, I began to think maybe the Jets are coaching the DB's that way.  "Keep up with the receiver no matter what, and then if you can turn around to bat the ball, do it.   If not, try to knock the ball out before he can pull it in."

Ivory moves alot and goes nowhere.

Powell is god awful slow.

Khalil Bell is better than both of them.

Geno has given me hope.

I'm still waiting for Rex's ferocious "D" to make a game ending stop.

Harrison might be better than Ellis.

The D made that stop today. The offense went 3 and out and took a whole 56 seconds off the clock doing it.  Demanding that they do it twice in a span of 3 minutes is not very fair.  They need some help from the offense...

1) Geno made a few typical rookie mistakes but kept focused and showed some real potential today.  I was against him starting but I got on board when the decision was made and now I think it turned out to be the right one.  In particular, he shows a good sense of when to scramble and gets it done.  Some nice throws mixed in.  Not a bad start.

2) Our CBs were giving VJax and Williams way too much room on some plays, particularly some 3rd downs.  I was surprised Jackson was covered by Milliner a few times (through Cro would have him 100%) but he did a number on Cromartie also.  He could have a big year.  Wasn't impressed with Milliner but he didn't kill us either.

3) I know TB has a stout running defense but holy crap we need to do better.  Powell 12/29, Ivory 10/15.  That's a problem.

4) Winslow is this year's Laron Landry.  What a great pickup.  7/79 1 TD.  Just what a young QB needs!

5) The young bucks on defense, particularly Harrison, Davis and Allen, stepped up today.  Harris also was stout.  We stopped the run incredibly well today other than that one last rush.  Martin was 23/48 not counting that last 17 yard run.  Even with it, his avg. was below 3 ypc.  Oh..and we got to see that speed we heard Davis had.  Me likey!

6) Everyone glad Malone and Folk won the kicking battles?  Both guys were stellar.  Nice not having to worry about that for a week at least.

7) Do we have any WRs who weren't injured by Goldman today?  WTF?  They weren't really dirty hits, but holy crap.  Tell you the truth, I kind of want that guy on our side once he figures out how to not take multiple penalties in a single game.

What else ya got?

1) Geno was impressive today if you asked me.  When given the time and a clean pocket, he was placing the ball in the breadbasket.  There were a couple of drops too.  Kids got zip.  Love his release.  Thought he was very composed for his 1st ever start.  Handled pressure well.  The INT looked like a not on the same page type situation and those happen didnt bother me.  The fumble sucked, was the difference in the game really, but felt like it was a bad play call to put him in that position coupled by terrible blocking.  Still needs to protect the ball there.

2) What rookie starting his first game as a CB are you impressed with?  Tough position to play and JJax and Wiliams are handful.  He was getting beat, but not like Cro was, who doesnt look healthy.

3) I'm hoping that was more TB than the Jets.  But agreed.  Powell was making something out of nothing as much as he could.  Ivory is worthless. 

4) He's a soldier!!!

5) This DLine is going to be a disruptive force.  Cant wait to see Coples in the mix.  Allen was stellar in the box, played a huge part in shutting down Martin.  Landy needs to tackle better in the open field. 

6) Kicking was phenomenal.  

7) WR's were getting killed, I just hope nobody is badly injured.  Cant afford that, though the WR's look a lot better this year.  They were open, thats a start.

The D made that stop today. The offense went 3 and out and took a whole 56 seconds off the clock doing it.  Demanding that they do it twice in a span of 3 minutes is not very fair.  They need some help from the offense...

Sorry to disagree but a game ending stop by the defense did not happen. TB got the ball back to kick the go ahead FG.

Exciting game nonetheless. 

Sorry to disagree but a game ending stop by the defense did not happen. TB got the ball back to kick the go ahead FG.

Exciting game nonetheless. 

It could have if the offense actually came out swinging instead of playing scared.  One or two first downs out of the offense on that drive and the game is essentially over. 

Geno needs to be allowed to let that arm go. Glad to see Mark is probably done here.

Our RB's need work.

Kerley, Winslow.. awesome.

I hope Barnes turns into something big for us. 

Our big boys on D are impressive.

Milliner looks like he is about a half step better than Wilson. That is not a compliment. 

Holmes is irrelevant.

I miss Revis. Not his play, well that too, but the guy. 

Antwan Barnes can run a little.

The Oline looked pretty good.  The first pass Geno had he was sitting back there for an eternity.

I think Mornhinweg changed up the O to suit Smith.  Seemed like a whole ton of shotgun to me.  Good to see an offensive coach adjust.  They are still bad, but they at least have a little potential.

I think that Hill looked decent

That's a confidence/experience thing.

Yep.  Wilson will have it any day now.

Bad = defense yet again failing in big spot........bailed out by Bucs bonehead penalty. .

Bad = Rex's clock mgmt on Bucs go ahead FG drive.

Good= the DL.

Good= The new OC does seem to design plays where our WR's get open.

Good=  Geno was not awful.  Much better than expected.

OC also calls stupid Wildcat plays during good drives that make no sense.

Positives:

D

1) Richardson is a beast, when it really clicks in for him and Couples gets back WATCH OUT

2) Barnes played situationally really well (see comment about Couples coming back) 

3) Milliner is just getting his feet wet and we will see some growing pains but he can fly and eventually will be very good

4) Ellis & Snacks are going to go  a long way in creating havoc on run defense

5) Front four can really help this secondary

O

1) Geno is not a running QB but knows WHEN to run and that makes him dangerous (he also knows how to slide) 

2) TB stacked the front on our running game, we'll see a lot of this but we kept running

3) Hill looked good, our TE's looked good and will continue to in MM's offense

4) Screens and more screens

ST

1) Didn't make any stupid mistakes

2) Folk and Malone where big all day

Coaching

1) Rex and staff continue to be very good at halftime adjustments

Negatives

1) Rex still doesn't have a great grasp of clock management at the end of the game

2) Ball protection Geno!

3) I thought Gates came up small more than a few times as a receiver

4) a few missed assignments on blitzes

5) I hated the Kerley run on 3rd and short and I hope they get rid of that play from the 3rd and short page of the playbook

BUT - We won! 

Percy Harvin who can't stay healthy?

I think WR will be a high choice next draft.

But he is the man when he is healthy, I get waiting till next draft but why not go out and get that piece now and trade that first round pick? Said player and Geno could be building chemistry this season and that player would probably mean we win more games which means the draft pick is lower. 

But he is the man when he is healthy, I get waiting till next draft but why not go out and get that piece now and trade that first round pick? Said player and Geno could be building chemistry this season and that player would probably mean we win more games which means the draft pick is lower. 

There's no reason to believe we can't make a deal for a guy before the deadline if we end up being a contender.  We traded for Braylon Edwards a few weeks into the '09 season that worked out pretty well, at least at the time.

There's no reason to believe we can't make a deal for a guy before the deadline if we end up being a contender.  We traded for Braylon Edwards a few weeks into the '09 season that worked out pretty well, at least at the time.

Yes but WHO? I dont really see that team trying to move a young proven receiver and rebuild

Percy Harvin who can't stay healthy?

I think WR will be a high choice next draft.

Agreed.

I would have flipped out if we burned a #1 pick (and a 7th plus another 3rd next year), and $12M/year on Percy Harvin.

Very good player.  Dynamic at times.  But Seattle WAYYYY overpaid for him both in terms of draft picks and dollars.  The combination of picks + contract that Seattle gave up for him was ludicrous.

Archived