The thing I liked most about Geno

AFJF

He ran when it was there.  He wasn't trying to be somebody who was a run first/throw second guy.  He's a pocket passer, but when the defense gave him a few yards, he took it.  Mark Sanchez isn't the most mobile guy in the world, but he's young enough and quick enough that he can take a few yards when the defense allows it, but it seems like he never did.  If your receivers are covered, and there's some open field in front of you...take it.  Geno did that on several occasions tonight, and we saw what it did for the offense.  Keep the chains moving, keep the defense honest, and make them have to account for another player on offense.  I loved it. 

Interesting enough the plays he threw the ball away gave me joy as much as the completions.  LOL

The most important thing that I saw today was the Jets were GETTING CALLS, getting breaks - AGAIN - the Jets won because of one major thing that ALL Championship Teams in every NFL season I have ever watched have and that is LUCK. I'm not saying the 2013 Jets are a Championship-caliber team but we won a game today that had Mark Sanchez been the QB, we would have lost. He wasn't (isn't) well regarded around the league and took major hits that guys like Peyton and Brady get calls on every single time. That Geno push might not have been a Sanchez penalty-we've seen the headband take some of the most vicious shots and never get a flag. It's nice to be the recipient of some calls for a change 

He ran when it was there.  He wasn't trying to be somebody who was a run first/throw second guy.  He's a pocket passer, but when the defense gave him a few yards, he took it.  Mark Sanchez isn't the most mobile guy in the world, but he's young enough and quick enough that he can take a few yards when the defense allows it, but it seems like he never did.  If your receivers are covered, and there's some open field in front of you...take it.  Geno did that on several occasions tonight, and we saw what it did for the offense.  Keep the chains moving, keep the defense honest, and make them have to account for another player on offense.  I loved it. 

I agree with this completely. Feels like this has been a hole in the game of Jets QBs for a long time. 

He also threw some really well placed passes. 

What I also liked about Geno is when he "threw the ball away". How many times for how many years have we screamed at our TV saying "THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY MARK" 

Its the simple things man. He threw the ball away like 3 or 4 times, including a pass he threw into the ground on a screen pass that Revis jumped. Mark would have thrown it right the f**k to him lol. 

Nice to get a win.  Geno's not the reason though.  He gave away 7 and the D scored 2.  folk took care of the rest.  Geno was a deer in headlights.  Hopefully he progresses into something special.  Time will tell.

He completed 63 % of his throws (on day where we had to rely heavily on the passing game, no less) despite no running game.  I'd say he was a big reason we won.  No, certainly not THE reason, but he wasn't dragged to victory like Sanchez was his whole career here.

Nice to get a win.  Geno's not the reason though.  He gave away 7 and the D scored 2.  folk took care of the rest.  Geno was a deer in headlights.  Hopefully he progresses into something special.  Time will tell.

A deer in the headlights?  Dude, you're perfect to coach the OL because you're effing clueless.  LMFAO

He completed 63 % of his throws (on day where we had to rely heavily on the passing game, no less) despite no running game.  I'd say he was a big reason we won.  No, certainly not THE reason, but he wasn't dragged to victory like Sanchez was his whole career here.

I have to admit, the feeling was different with Geno in the game even as a rookie. He made plays. You felt confident as a fan. He felt like a QB you could rely on for 4 quarters. Quite impressive for his first game. Many may talk about Sanchez first game against the Texans but Geno has absolutely nothing from his running game today on top of the fact that he had to put the team in scoring position with less than a minute left in his first game and got the job done no matter how ugly. 

I have to admit, the feeling was different with Geno in the game even as a rookie. He made plays. You felt confident as a fan. He felt like a QB you could rely on for 4 quarters. Quite impressive for his first game. Many may talk about Sanchez first game against the Texans but Geno has absolutely nothing from his running game today on top of the fact that he had to put the team in scoring position with less than a minute left in his first game and got the job done no matter how ugly. 

Exactly.  Sanchez had a beastly offensive line from Day 1 here.  In that Texans game, Thomas Jones had 20 carries for 107 yards with 2 TD's, including one from 38 yards out.  Leon Washington tacked on another 60 yards on 15 carries.  Total:  42 carries, 190 yards, 4.5 ypc.  Beastly.

On the backdrop of that, sure Sanchez looked PRETTY good on his debut, completing 58 % of his throws with 1 TD and 1 INT.  But if you recall, on that TD throw to Chansi Stuckey, he was WIDE open thanks to Houston's awful secondary and the fact that they were selling out on the run.

Meanwhile, GENO was our leading rusher yesterday (6 carries, 47 yards).  The rest of the team had 23 carries for a paltry 43 yards (1.9 ypc) against the Bucs top-ranked run defense from 2012. 

Like the modern day QB simply has to do in the NFL today, he made the plays we needed and LEAD us to victory, rather than requiring perfect circumstances around him to have success.  As much as we wanted to rip him for that Giants preseason game, there were still some positives that came out of it, and we saw those on display yesterday.

I saw Vlad get steamrolled on 2 occasions and that simply cant happen to a guy that big. He also seems to get lost in space I have the game DVR'd and there are a few players I would like to look at/ While at times Geno seemed to have good protection other times he was running for his life and quickly. Positive note Geno recognized the blitz and protection breakdowns MUCH faster than Sanchez. Honestly this was the type of game that is Sanchez was in there we would have lost and I believe that 100 %. For some of the fundamental flaws I see in Geno I see a much better feel for what's going on at the LOS and it makes me really happy.

The player who really stood out IMHO was Barnes that guy knows how to get to the QB and quickly. Very impressed with him.

Yeah, I want to watch a bunch of guys (individually) myself.  Forgot to turn the DVR on until the 1st Q ended though.  

Agree on the protection.  It wasn't good and it wasn't bad overall.  There were a bunch of dropbacks when Geno had gobs of time (though half of those times seemed to be when he got himself out of trouble by actually moving himself out of harm's way and buying time).  There were also a bunch when Geno had no time at all (and again, some of them he bought himself - and the receivers - time). 

The latter is what I was arguing with you about, with regards to Sanchez, in that even when the protection isn't good it is NOT a given that the QB has no chance.  What Geno did, the best QBs do quite routinely.  But if you just stand there and expect the OL to give you a clean pocket 100% of the time you're going to get sacked.  A lot.  Then people blame the OL.

One of those instant-sacks Geno almost got out of but lost his footing (think it was a 19-yard sack).  But I love that he doesn't just curl up into a ball & tries - quite often successfully - to make a positive play in what started out as crappy protection.  The pick was awful and I don't know if it just got away from him or he & the receiver weren't on the same page or what, but it was ugly-bad.  So was the strip-sack-fumble.  He has to feel the footsteps better on that, but it's one mistake and if it's isolated it isn't a big deal as that happens to every QB.  A tenth of a second later and his arm would be going forward and it's an incomplete pass.  If it continues, then I'll be concerned.  Right now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt (particularly in his first game).

It is ONE GAME.  But more than the stats I want to look at things like the above.  What he does as instinct. I don't care if a pass was dropped by a receiver (or caught for that matter) -- I want to look at where the ball was placed (and whether it was purposeful that it was a little ahead/behind/high/low).  Early on his accuracy wasn't that great but seemed to get better.  Will see how much better when I re-watch, but overall it seemed to get better.  In practices & other clips I saw him really nailing guys in the chest an uncanny percentage of times (not merely "catchable" but rather perfect passes a receiver can do something with).  Hope that comes with time.  Could be jitters, could be lack of experience with this group of receivers & if so then both of those things will fade away.

Liked what I saw overall.  Also the instinct on knowing when to run and when to keep surveying the field.  Also what buying himself time did; moved himself out of the pocket & the receivers were able to get deeper & that created enough green where he saw those big, beautiful running lanes.

So numbers aside, I liked what I saw.

*edit* moved this post from the Vlad thread because it has nothing to do with Vlad.

You know, assuming you are a Jet fan, if you are going to troll yourself like a perpetual flagellant, at least have it based in reality.

Look, I'm just basing my opinion in the reality of what Geno actually accomplished. He went up against a very good defense in his first NFL start and had a very rough first half. He was afraid to let the ball go and that's a lot of the reason he was the jets leading rusher. I'm basing my opinion on this game. He had Clyde gates wide open, under threw Hill and Winslow more than once, and double clutched a lot. He took a few bad sacks and fumbled inside the five. These things happened, I'm not making them up. I'm also not claiming he's a bad QB. fact is he, unlike Sanchez, kept pressing forward even after his mistakes. He didn't go all crybaby and head down. Which is a huge positive. But he didn't lead the team to victory. Defense did that. And a very undisciplined Bucs team.

Look, I'm just basing my opinion in the reality of what Geno actually accomplished. He went up against a very good defense in his first NFL start and had a very rough first half. He was afraid to let the ball go and that's a lot of the reason he was the jets leading rusher. I'm basing my opinion on this game. He had Clyde gates wide open, under threw Hill and Winslow more than once, and double clutched a lot. He took a few bad sacks and fumbled inside the five. These things happened, I'm not making them up. I'm also not claiming he's a bad QB. fact is he, unlike Sanchez, kept pressing forward even after his mistakes. He didn't go all crybaby and head down. Which is a huge positive. But he didn't lead the team to victory. Defense did that. And a very undisciplined Bucs team.

So if Geno did not win the game for us, do we win that game if Mark is QB? 

Archived