The Good, the bad, and the ugly

sirlancemehlot

The good:

The defensive front seven was solid and brought pressure even with four down-lineman.

David Harris looked five years younger. He even covered WRs well on a few occasions and did an excellent job reading and reacting.

Milliner looked a bit confused at times, but he's a smooth, talented athlete. He's twice the corner Wilson was his rookie year.

Idzik wins one with the acquisition of Winslow. He was the difference between a competitive game and a shutout. Excellent job for kellen.

Nick folk can play in a pressure cooker. I once hated the guy. I was wrong.

The bad:

Geno holds the ball forever. And ever. And ever. He scans and won't let it go. Very few timing routes completed. It was all receiver gets open, waves his hand, and gets the target, late. Need some work there.

Running game does not exist. There is a huge Oline issue. It's bad. And no back is going anywhere until we change personnel on the line. We just don't have the horses.

The ugly:

Vlad Ducasse is an absolute mystery to me. How is he on any NFL roster? He gave up the sack that caused the fumble that lead to the TB touchdown. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. He was on the turf a lot. An awful lot.

Powell. I love the guy, but he can't touch ivory for power or talent. He's just not that good.

Rex. He's a cheerleader for the defense. He gives no ****s about the O. Whatsoever. How on Earth can you get behind a head coach who has built an awesome defense but has no QB, no line, no RBs and sub par receivers? Ugh.

Welp. That's it. Bad team bad game. Lucky break. I'll take it all year long if its there.

Rex, the ugly? are you kidding? Tampa had only two scoring drives all game (running it in after the fumble doesn't count)

Rex wasn't a cheerleader for the defense, he calls all of the defensive plays, and if you are thinking of getting on him for that, remember that both Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy call the plays for their offenses and probably exclusively deal with that side of the ball during the game.

And then you complain about a perceived lack of a QB o line, rb, wr, etc. Can you give Geno a chance for crying out loud!? He looked promising today, the line wasn't bad at all, the running backs were going up against last season's best run defense in the entire NFL, and our receivers didn't have a small task in dealing with Revis and Goldson and in spite of that I think they were effective, Winslow had a heck of game.

I'm not buying that the running game is atrocious just yet. We're starting two new guys on the oline, which always takes time to gel in addition to going up against last years #1 rushing defense that didn't change much personnel. It's possible they're this bad, but i'm guessing they're gonna end up middle of the road .

Well, I was at the game and DVR'd it, watching play for play from the broadcast afterwards.  Our line was overwhelmed.  If it wasn't a problem, explain why Marty had Geno rolling out for most of the second half. 

Ducasse--if I'm wrong about his atrocious play, explain.  Please.  Because I've been coaching Oline at the Junior level (100+ players this year) and can't see the value in Vlad at all.

Geno.  You do realize that we lost this game but for a stupid personal foul penalty and monster kick by Folk?  Geno's fumble on the 5 was a negative 7 points.  He gets 7 for the TD to Winslow. Even.  D gets us 2 points.  Folk gets us 6 points.  receivers were open, but Double-Clutch just couldn't let it go.  He needs more time.  I'm willing to wait and see.  But this commentary was on TODAYS game.  and he was bad today.  And his net points are zero in my book.  If you loved his performance, you are truly a fan of the New York Jets.

Rex.  He has put a bad product on the field.  Bad.  Defenses are the responsibility of defensive coordinators.  Offenses are the realm of offensive coordinators.  Special teams are the responsibility of Special Teams coordinators.  And Head Coaches run the whole team, from player to player, plan to plan, game to game, and play to play.  Rex is still pining for the days he was a Raven Defensive Coordinator.  he loved it and he misses it.  And he has no idea how to coach an entire football team.  So yes, Ugly.

The good:

The defensive front seven was solid and brought pressure even with four down-lineman.

David Harris looked five years younger. He even covered WRs well on a few occasions and did an excellent job reading and reacting.

Milliner looked a bit confused at times, but he's a smooth, talented athlete. He's twice the corner Wilson was his rookie year.

Idzik wins one with the acquisition of Winslow. He was the difference between a competitive game and a shutout. Excellent job for kellen.

The bad:

Geno holds the ball forever. And ever. And ever. He scans and won't let it go. Very few timing routes completed. It was all receiver gets open, waves his hand, and gets the target, late. Need some work there.

Running game does not exist. There is a huge Oline issue. It's bad. And no back is going anywhere until we change personnel on the line. We just don't have the horses.

The ugly:

Vlad Ducasse is an absolute mystery to me. How is he on any NFL roster? He gave up the sack that caused the fumble that lead to the TB touchdown. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. He was on the turf a lot. An awful lot.

Powell. I love the guy, but he can't touch ivory for power or talent. He's just not that good.

Rex. He's a cheerleader for the defense. He gives no ****s about the O. Whatsoever. How on Earth can you get behind a head coach who has built an awesome defense but has no QB, no line, no RBs and sub par receivers? Ugh.

Welp. That's it. Bad team bad game. Lucky break. I'll take it all year long if its there.

Easily the dumbest post I have read today

He has put a bad product on the field.  Bad.  Defenses are the responsibility of defensive coordinators.  Offenses are the realm of offensive coordinators.  Special teams are the responsibility of Special Teams coordinators.  And Head Coaches run the whole team, from player to player, plan to plan, game to game, and play to play.  Rex is still pining for the days he was a Raven Defensive Coordinator.  he loved it and he misses it.  And he has no idea how to coach an entire football team.  So yes, Ugly.

We put a winning product on the field today against a stronger opponent that had talent all over the place.  You can't just pick and choose the negatives without giving credit for the positives.  

We put a winning product on the field today against a stronger opponent that had talent all over the place.  You can't just pick and choose the negatives without giving credit for the positives.  

Credit for the positives are in the "Good" section.  Front seven, Harris, Winslow....  I think most folks fear criticism when they win.  Better to pretend we're awesome, and forget HOW we actually won.  But that's cool.  I've been doing it for over 30 years myself. A smile can't hurt.  And a win is a win.

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

Harris looked Great

Geno did Fine and actually he surprised me...... while he made a few boneheaded plays, for the most part he made a hell of a lot of better ones. Geno played smart football and he stepped into most of his throws which had me very excited and he did it while in the face of a blitz on a few occasions.

Play calling on offense. This is going on 5 years now when a Jets QB gets hot and drives us to the opponents 20 or 30 yard line we forget hes hot and try a boneheaded Reverse OR as we did today a few times run the Wildcat against one of the best run defenses in the NFL . Since its been 3 different coordinators doing this I have to think this may be attributed to Rex it has to be.

Rex still making rookie HC mistakes (maybe him and Sanchez were made for each other. Rex cant learn how to manage the clock and almost cost us the game with terrible use of timeouts and the total stupidity of ignoring Vincent Jackson on the play that put Tampa in field goal range. After that how do you NOT use timeouts with 1:30 remaining in the game which cost us not 10 to 20 seconds as was stated by the announcer it cost us closer to 30 to 35 seconds.

Well, I was at the game and DVR'd it, watching play for play from the broadcast afterwards.  Our line was overwhelmed.  If it wasn't a problem, explain why Marty had Geno rolling out for most of the second half. 

Ducasse--if I'm wrong about his atrocious play, explain.  Please.  Because I've been coaching Oline at the Junior level (100+ players this year) and can't see the value in Vlad at all.

Geno.  You do realize that we lost this game but for a stupid personal foul penalty and monster kick by Folk?  Geno's fumble on the 5 was a negative 7 points.  He gets 7 for the TD to Winslow. Even.  D gets us 2 points.  Folk gets us 6 points.  receivers were open, but Double-Clutch just couldn't let it go.  He needs more time.  I'm willing to wait and see.  But this commentary was on TODAYS game.  and he was bad today.  And his net points are zero in my book.  If you loved his performance, you are truly a fan of the New York Jets.

Rex.  He has put a bad product on the field.  Bad.  Defenses are the responsibility of defensive coordinators.  Offenses are the realm of offensive coordinators.  Special teams are the responsibility of Special Teams coordinators.  And Head Coaches run the whole team, from player to player, plan to plan, game to game, and play to play.  Rex is still pining for the days he was a Raven Defensive Coordinator.  he loved it and he misses it.  And he has no idea how to coach an entire football team.  So yes, Ugly.

Bad today?  Please.  I'll buy that he's not ready (I've been saying that all along), has a lot to learn, and played poorly early, but kept his poise, didn't get down and played well after those first 3 drives.  Think he was nervous at all?  But saying he was bad is just flat out wrong and stupid.  He completed over 60% of his passes when he had an awful OL, no running game and mostly stiffs for receivers.  If it wasn't for his play in the 4th Qtr., the Jets lose today.

geno wasn't "bad" ... but he definitely holds the ball way to long ... its going to be a long season of lumps IMO

that's rookie stuff CTM, holding the ball.... that SHOULD improve as the season moves on if not then yeah lumps for sure. I did like the fact after the first few series he gained some composure and made a obvious attempt not to make boneheaded plays like Sanchez. Him taking off and running when nothing was there was huge. Still proves this team needs some playmakers to keep a defense honest. Just glad he didn't try to force bad throws to covered WR's

that's rookie stuff CTM, holding the ball.... that SHOULD improve as the season moves on if not then yeah lumps for sure. I did like the fact after the first few series he gained some composure and made a obvious attempt not to make boneheaded plays like Sanchez. Him taking off and running when nothing was there was huge. Still proves this team needs some playmakers to keep a defense honest. Just glad he didn't try to force bad throws to covered WR's

I'm aware geno is a rookie, my opinion of him was given in that context... in other words ... geno holds the ball too long, even for a rookie

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

Couldn't tit also be that his receivers are crap and cannot get open in one or two seconds?  He has some escapability so he keeps the ball a bit longer.

Hey.  Geno was given the ball late and got his team the lead.  That is what QBs do.  Not his fault that the D spewed it back.  And with crap wideouts.  And with the D line in his face.  All in his first NFL game.  That is not good, bad or ugly.  That is encouraging.  

Rookie QB stack the box make him beat you with his arm. That's also the best run D in football. Marty ball by scheme is pass heavy. OL looked fine. Mangold looked the worst out of the bunch tbh, pretty sure it was him missing the inside stunt on the QB sack fumble. He actually seemed to play better after his injury.

That said, team will eventually have to establish a run game if the want to keep Geno alive all season.

Being his first NFL game, Geno did very well. My thoughts while watching him in the game were: 1. No way Sanchez makes half as accurate a throw with all that pressure, and 2. His passes looked remarkably sharp. I think he's definitely going to go throw rookie mistakes, but at this point - we have upgraded the QBS position.

Being his first NFL game, Geno did very well. My thoughts while watching him in the game were: 1. No way Sanchez makes half as accurate a throw with all that pressure, and 2. His passes looked remarkably sharp. I think he's definitely going to go throw rookie mistakes, but at this point - we have upgraded the QBS position.

And Jets fans have something we haven't had for two years now, which is hope. So that's nice.

Archived