Jets Should Bring Back OL Moore

JetNation

Does he live in the area? I can't remember but I seem to remember part of the reason was moving his life to Dallas for "only" $1M or $1.5M or whatever they offered him.

He's made so many millions it's not a given that he would play for the veteran minimum and risk permanent injury/damage for another (after taxes) $500K give or take.  (Unless he's been stupid with his money in which case he probably wouldn't have retired when Dallas offered him a 7-figure job, so it seems he doesn't need the money).

But I'd have no objection.  If we can pay him $1M and have it count maybe half that, and it keeps Geno upright & creates some running room that Vlad can't, it's worth it.  Throwing several million won't be, because I'd rather the team has that cash to spend next season (and beyond) but this amount being discussed above isn't sh*t.  Hell, probably that much or more has already been cleared just from Goodson's suspension.

Plus Sanchez isn't starting anymore so he doesn't have to block for someone that made his fat ass a major part of a national punchline.

wanted Moore to come back for months... but that ship has sailed

the strip sack was as much on Geno for trying a jump pass (who does that?) as it was on Vlad. The line gave Geno alot of time in general and sometimes he held it too long. Vlad was actually a beast in the run game. 

fwiw Brick gave up 5 hurries and a false start, Colon  had a penalty and even Mangold had a bad day, bringing back Moore probably doesn't fix those problems.  PFF had Austin Howard as the best lineman vs TB by far. 

I don't agree that the line gave Geno plenty of time as stated above, but I also don't think Moore adds anything better than what we already have.  I think Colon might even beat him out head to head and Winters will be starting at the other guard spot before too long.  Moore was a great Jet, but was not an elite guard by any stretch of the imagination.  I would give this group more time together and work Winters into the mix and continue to move forward.

The line was very good in pass protection.  Terrible in run blocking and bad penalty wise.  That said, pass blocking is going to be so crucial.  Marty wants to throw the ball anyway so give Geno some time and he will run with it a bit as well.  They will also do the read option to run a bit.

There were some plays that Geno had a crazy amount of time.  It was cool to see!

I started re-watching the 1st game last night and our line did plenty fine against the 4 man rush the bucs brought.  They missed assignments on the some plays so that will hopefully improve as early as week 3. 

As for adding another Olineman, i thought we already are carrying 10 on the line at 1 point.  Is that still true?

The line was very good in pass protection.  Terrible in run blocking and bad penalty wise.  That said, pass blocking is going to be so crucial.  Marty wants to throw the ball anyway so give Geno some time and he will run with it a bit as well.  They will also do the read option to run a bit.

There were some plays that Geno had a crazy amount of time.  It was cool to see!

Except for some serious pressure up the gut on Ducasse & Mangold at times.  That fumble is on Geno Smith, because ultimately it is his responsibility to secure the football, but the instant-pressure was caused by Ducasse getting beat like a guy who'd never played the position before.

Except for some serious pressure up the gut on Ducasse & Mangold at times.  That fumble is on Geno Smith, because ultimately it is his responsibility to secure the football, but the instant-pressure was caused by Ducasse getting beat like a guy who'd never played the position before.

Meh, true - but sometimes the other team makes plays. Way I see it... We got through 60 minutes of play with a 2nd round rookie QB who dropped back to pass almost 40 times while getting no support from the run game, and we only turned it over twice - and won.

As for adding another Olineman, i thought we already are carrying 10 on the line at 1 point.  Is that still true?

it is still true but only 7 are gameday active. starting 5 plus Winters and the Raff.

The three inactives are useless at this point: Will Campbell, Oday ABoushi and Ben Ijalana.

it depends on how we define plenty. in this league anything over 3 seconds is tons of time. 

Geno was sacked 3 times and ran the ball 6 more times of which probably only one was a designed run.  A less mobile QB would have probably been sacked 6 times.  There were times the line pass blocked well, like the Winslow TD, but other times where they needed work.  With that said, Moore is not the answer.  Time, practice and an infusion of the draftees in the answer.

A less mobile QB would have probably been sacked 6 times.  

maybe a more decisive QB gets sacked 1 or 2 times. Jets fans haven't seen that kind of QB play for many years but for a long time the line has been blamed when really NFL QBs shouldn't expect more than 2.5 or 3 seconds before they make a decision, even if that decision is to throw it away. if QB sees they are bringing 7 and he knows there's only 5 blockers, that's not on the line. 

wanted Moore to come back for months... but that ship has sailed

the strip sack was as much on Geno for trying a jump pass (who does that?) as it was on Vlad. The line gave Geno alot of time in general and sometimes he held it too long. Vlad was actually a beast in the run game. 

fwiw Brick gave up 5 hurries and a false start, Colon  had a penalty and even Mangold had a bad day, bringing back Moore probably doesn't fix those problems.  PFF had Austin Howard as the best lineman vs TB by far. 

Jump pass??? what game were you watching? He was moving forward and and went to throw off one foot.

These things happen at times.

I don't follow the Jets day and night, so I was surprised to see this article speculating that Brandon Moore might resign with the Jets. First of all, where has the speculation been that he even wants to come out of retirement, and second, I'm no legal expert so I could be wrong, but couldn't the Dallas Cowboys take some kind of legal action against him if he did resign with the Jets this season?

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/09/11/jets-should-bring-back-ol-moore/

I don't follow the Jets day and night, so I was surprised to see this article speculating that Brandon Moore might resign with the Jets. First of all, where has the speculation been that he even wants to come out of retirement, and second, I'm no legal expert so I could be wrong, but couldn't the Dallas Cowboys take some kind of legal action against him if he did resign with the Jets this season?

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/09/11/jets-should-bring-back-ol-moore/

The way I see it (doesn't mean I am correct) is Moore signed with the Cowboys, then couldn't bring himself to leave his family, called them, and officially retired, so yes I agree he would be Dallas Cowboys property unless the Cowboys released him like the Jets did with Favre.

The problem with saying Ferguson and Mangold had average or even bad games (imo far from bad in Mangold's case, but Ferguson did have some problems) is that they were both working to cover their man in the middle, Ducasse.  Ducasse seemed good on some run plays, and I also think Smith held the ball too long at times.  But... we have a rookie Qb this year for the foresesable future, so it sure would be nice if he could get a lift from above average pass blocking.

So Vlad remains a concern, but Moore?  He'd been tailing off last season, and is probably out of shape.  I don't really see that happening.  We have to instead hope Ducasse works out assignments with Ferguson and Mangold better, and that Winters hurries it up.  (Still not sure I understand the Peterman cut, btw.)

Brandon Moore picks retirement over Dallas Cowboys
  • _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Marc Sessler
  •  
  • Updated: Aug. 7, 2013 at 03:52 p.m.

Brandon Moore won't play for the Dallas Cowboys after all.

One day after Moore agreed to a one-year contract with the team, the veteran guard has decided to retire, Moore's agent told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Wednesday morning.

"I was wrestling with it all night," Moore told FOXSports.com's Mike Garafolo on Wednesday. "I was excited, but when you start looking at all the personal factors that go into it and the commitment on the football side and you've been in a different mental state also the past three or four months because no action's been happening, you kind of move on with your life."

Said Moore: "I was happy with that and fine with that. But when you get a call from a coach I care deeply for in (Cowboys offensive coordinator) Bill Callahan, you start to feel it, you get excited and you're finally like, 'I want to do it.' But you map out the logistics of it all -- the physical and mental commitment, the tear on your family."

Moore, 33, recently said he harbored no intentions to call it quits, but his reported $3 million to $4 million asking price scared off teams. The Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins backed away from signing Moore this offseason, but the Cowboys -- desperate for help on their interior line -- offered enough to entice Moore back. For a day.

By all accounts, Moore still can play. He graded out as the fourth-best guard in the NFL last season by ProFootballFocus.com. He was a capable run blocker and pass protector for the New York Jets in 2012 and hasn't missed a start since 2004. Moore's 10 seasons in New York resulted in only one Pro Bowl nod, but he was a reliable anchor for the Jets for much of his career.

The Cowboys seemed like a good fit for Moore, but he's choosing to step away from it all. We wish him well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000227176/article/brandon-moore-picks-retirement-over-dallas-cowboys

Article said that Moore agreed and was ready to fly out, but it said nothing about actual signing.

I don't know about legalities in this age of myriad electronic transactions.  But unless he legally signed the document, I imagine he can play with anyone.

And as the article makes clear, he had a price to sign all offseason and nobody met it, so he can't be out of shape except possibly for the last 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Archived