Be honest, who wasn't impressed by Geno in week 1?

LionelRichie

Wonder how he will do against the pasts bend but dont break defense.  Their MO was to have Sanchez have to keep the ball in his hands knowing that sooner or later he would screw up.  With Geno, on 3 days to prepare it may be ugly and I dont know how much more you can expect from a rook on the road on 3 days.  As a fan, I would love for him to light up the pats defense but not sure that is possible.  Pats dont have near the personel on defense as the bucs but they do an incredible job with game planning.  Hopefully MM has the plan and Geno can execute it.  Geno had a couple of good drives but he will be expected to do more in week 3 and beyond.

As for the bucs game, he was servicable and led our team to a couple of late FGs.  We got the win and I didnt have to watch sanchez so I am happy.  Made some very good plays with his feet and made some good throws.  If he can string together more drives for TDs we will be all set at the QB position.  I hope he can get there.

If only because the media was making it out like he was gonna look like a guy who had never heard of football, much less touched one, then he was damned impressive.

The schedule and everyone agreeing the Jets will suck this year definitely helped. Geno played great for a rookie.

Once again:  Geno Smith is the only 2nd round (or later) QB since the AFL-NFL merger to throw for 250+ yards and win on his opening start.

Of course I was impressed.  I'm thinking he'll be a "1 step back, 2 steps forward" candidate so he may well struggle tonight.  And that's OK, because the tools are there and he hasn't revealed himself to be dumb or scared out there.  Those are important qualities that every good NFL QB has.

I am extremely concerned about him and would feel much better with Sanchez in there. I think he holds the ball way too long and will suffer for it one way or the other (injury/shellshocked/poor pocket presence). Really hope I'm wrong but he shouldn't be out there from what i see.. he needed to learn for awhile imo

Hahaha. Sanchez. That's a good one.

I am extremely concerned about him and would feel much better with Sanchez in there. I think he holds the ball way too long and will suffer for it one way or the other (injury/shellshocked/poor pocket presence). Really hope I'm wrong but he shouldn't be out there from what i see.. he needed to learn for awhile imo

What are you talking about?  His last 2 drives he looked like a veteran QB out there. 

DRIVE 1

4 11:25 1 10 NYJ 23 Geno Smith pass incomplete short right intended for Chris Ivory 14 12 0.48 -0.07 4 11:20 2 10 NYJ 23 Bilal Powell up the middle for 4 yards (tackle by Adrian Clayborn) 14 12 -0.07 -0.23 4 10:40 3 6 NYJ 27 Geno Smith for 1 yard. Penalty on Leonard Johnson: Defensive Holding, 5 yards 14 12 -0.23 1.14 4 10:24 1 10 NYJ 33 Bilal Powell right end for no gain (tackle by Jonathan Casillas). Bilal Powell fumbles (forced by Jonathan Casillas), recovered by Stephen Hill at NYJ-33 14 12 1.14 0.59 4 9:40 2 10 NYJ 33 Geno Smith pass complete deep right to Clyde Gates for 17 yards 14 12 0.59 2.26 4 9:17 1 10 50 Geno Smith pass complete short right to Stephen Hill for 8 yards (tackle by Leonard Johnson) 14 12 2.26 2.79 4 9:03 2 2 TAM 42 Chris Ivory right tackle for no gain (tackle by Mason Foster) 14 12 2.79 2.08 4 8:25 3 2 TAM 42 Geno Smith pass complete short left to Bilal Powell for 6 yards (tackle by Darrelle Revis) 14 12 2.08 3.18 4 8:00 1 10 TAM 36 Bilal Powell left guard for 2 yards (tackle by Gerald McCoy) 14 12 3.18 2.91 4 7:23 2 8 TAM 34 Geno Smith pass complete short right to Bilal Powell for 14 yards (tackle by Michael Adams) 14 12 2.91 4.24 4 6:36 1 10 TAM 20 Chris Ivory right tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Leonard Johnson) 14 12 4.24 3.96 4 6:00 2 8 TAM 18 Geno Smith pass incomplete deep right intended for Stephen Hill 14 12 3.96 3.22 4 5:53 3 8 TAM 18 Geno Smith pass complete short right to Bilal Powell for 6 yards (tackle by Leonard Johnson) 14 12 3.22 2.76 4 5:09 4 2 TAM 12

Nick Folk 30 yard field goal good

DRIVE 2

4 0:34     TAM 35 Rian Lindell kicks off 65 yards, touchback 17 15 0 0.28 4 0:34 1 10 NYJ 20 Geno Smith pass incomplete short middle intended for Kellen Winslow Jr. (defended by Leonard Johnson) 17 15 0.28 -0.27 4 0:29 2 10 NYJ 20 Geno Smith pass complete deep middle to Kellen Winslow Jr. for 25 yards (tackle by Mark Barron) 17 15 -0.27 1.93 4 0:15 1 10 NYJ 45 Geno Smith spiked the ball 17 15 1.93 1.38 4 0:15 2 10 NYJ 45 Geno Smith for 10 yards. Penalty on Lavonte David: Personal Foul, 15 yards 17 15 1.38 3.58 4 0:15 1 10 TAM 30 Nick Folk 48 yard field goal good

that is true. The other drives tho... if we are being honest, early Mark had similar trends (suck all game, suddenly look decent at the end). 

Maybe, but Sanchez had a running game and much better receivers the few times that happened.  Geno, a rookie, did NOT suck all game (he was at least decent to that point), then performed well when we needed him to.  Despite no one to lean on other than the Jets doing well on the OTHER side of the ball.

Maybe, but Sanchez had a running game and much better receivers the few times that happened.  Geno, a rookie, did NOT suck all game (he was at least decent to that point), then performed well when we needed him to.  Despite no one to lean on other than the Jets doing well on the OTHER side of the ball.

if Mark Sanchez had a strip sack at the 5yard line, an 18 yard sack to take him out of FG range and a dumb back foot INT to ivory you wouldn't say his day was decent. There was several highlights to Geno's day there was also a large part of the game when the offense couldn't execute. Im not saying this to bash Geno, just pointing it out. 

To be fair he didn't hold the ball too long and got sacked. The sacks came in a hurry or on a blitz. He seemed to avoid pressure w his legs at times. When he did hold on for a while he had the protection...my point being it wasn't a "he can't feel pressure coming" thing...yet. He had the time and used it. Also is that him or WRs who can't get separation fast enough? Maybe a bit of both. Remains to be seen so far IMO.

To be fair he didn't hold the ball too long and got sacked. The sacks came in a hurry or on a blitz. He seemed to avoid pressure w his legs at times. When he did hold on for a while he had the protection...my point being it wasn't a "he can't feel pressure coming" thing...yet. He had the time and used it. Also is that him or WRs who can't get separation fast enough? Maybe a bit of both. Remains to be seen so far IMO.

We'll see, you degenerate sh*t bag

Smith played better than I feared, and that was good, and I think the fact that he played better as the game went on was also great.

But TB did not have their act together at times.  Not just on O.  Their D was set up to stop the Jets' running game, and they had no one bird dogging Smith.  He also turned the ball over twice.

So better than I expected, but I don't know about impressed.

all things considered, 

not getting all the #1 reps in camp

ankle injury

new offense

"wepinz"

ducasse on the line

I agree with perennial jets homer steve young (lol)  that it was an "A performance", mostly because he bounced back and showed spine

if Mark Sanchez had a strip sack at the 5yard line, an 18 yard sack to take him out of FG range and a dumb back foot INT to ivory you wouldn't say his day was decent. There was several highlights to Geno's day there was also a large part of the game when the offense couldn't execute. Im not saying this to bash Geno, just pointing it out. 

Agree .  Love 80's attitude and hope I buy in soon but he would crucify Sanchez for the same results.  I expected worse from Smith though.

Rex extension stuff is off the wall as well.

Loud Mouths on SNY laid out a bevy of Rex decisions on tonights show that should have had him fired.

Archived