Mort: Sanchez has torn labrum, requires surgery (merged)

dbatesman

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Mark Sanchez is likely to require surgery on his right (throwing) shoulder after Wednesday's visit to Dr. James Andrews confirmed a labral tear in the joint.
The surgery is almost certainly season ending, correspondingly meaning Sanchez has likely taken his last snap as a Jet. He's owed a non-guaranteed $2 million roster bonus next March and will likely hit injured reserve soon. Sanchez's injury happened when Rex Ryan left him in the Jets' preseason finale behind backup offensive linemen. The Jets will move forward with Matt Simms and Brady Quinn behind Geno Smith. While a big story all things considered, the Jets had already turned the page on Sanchez and his loss will in no way affect their 2013 season.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

The preseason version of Bredsoe and Brady? One can wish. At least it allows Geno to play without the Sanchez questions from reporters if he has a bad game, not that he's given any indication that would rattle him. Regardless, the job is his for the foreseeable future. 

Costello says Sanchez may continue rehabbing the shoulder rather than have surgery. I guess we'll see. I feel sorta bad for him - not BAD bad, cause he's still got waaay more money than me - but I sympathize. It sucks and is a rough way to go out.

I wish him luck. He seems like a good guy. I really did want him to be good for us.

Somewhere, Brady Quinn celebrates.  Should be interesting to see if Simms keeps the #2 job over him for the entire season.

Sanchez's time as a Jet is over.  While it seemed pretty clear after Sunday, it's now guaranteed he will never see another snap as a NY Jet ever again.

I really think he should.  Quinn is a Sanchez type character.  He's on like his 4th "last chance" . 

mark sanchez groundChris Mortensen is reporting that Mark Sanchez has a torn labrum and is facing surgery.  Many local beat reporters are tweeting that Sanchez hasn’t made a decision on surgery at this time.

Be sure to check out this thread on for additional information and fan reaction.

I really think he should.  Quinn is a Sanchez type character.  He's on like his 4th "last chance" . 

Don't really disagree with you, but it's not entirely uncommon for coaches to get hung up on the whole veteran aspect of things, especially when it comes to QBs.  I'd imagine Simms has a hold on it for the immediate future, if for no other reason than knowledge of the playbook, but if Sanchez is really done then Quinn has pretty much got himself a job locked up for the season, so who knows what could happen over time.

Costello says Sanchez may continue rehabbing the shoulder rather than have surgery. I guess we'll see. I feel sorta bad for him - not BAD bad, cause he's still got waaay more money than me - but I sympathize. It sucks and is a rough way to go out.

I wish him luck. He seems like a good guy. I really did want him to be good for us.

I'll be surprised if rehabbing helps.  I tore my labrum, the docs tried therapy for 2 months and it did bubkis.  I had to have the surgery.  Rehab was a pain (literally).  It took 2 years to get a full range of motion back, and I never got full strength back, but then I'm not a professional athlete and was 46 when it happened.

We'll all remember Mark Sanchez as a monolithic bust, but make sure to remember how hard his idiot head coach f*cked him over literally every step of the way, from handing an acknowledged immature kid the starting job, to dumping high-character vets (Cotchery, Damien Woody, Thomas Jones) and replacing them with scumbags like Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress and LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight, to hiring Tony Sparano, to coddling Sanchez when it was clear he was mentally shot, to never once intervening when Holmes went off the rails, to handling the Tebow situation as poorly as you can handle it (admittedly, 80% Woody's fault), to now effectively ruining his shoulder with the idiotic decision to play him in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. None of this is to say that Sanchez would have been good if he was coached by a smarter person, but it's hard to imagine any scenario whereby a young quarterback was handied with greater malfeasance by his coach.

No one will care, of course, because we're all glad he's gone, but thank God Idzik has turned Rex into a lawn jockey because letting him attempt to oversee another young quarterback's development would have been catastrophic for this franchise.

We'll all remember Mark Sanchez as a monolithic bust, but make sure to remember how hard his idiot head coach f*cked him over literally every step of the way, from handing an acknowledged immature kid the starting job, to dumping high-character vets (Cotchery, Damien Woody, Thomas Jones) and replacing them with scumbags like Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress and LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight, to hiring Tony Sparano, to coddling Sanchez when it was clear he was mentally shot, to never once intervening when Holmes went off the rails, to handling the Tebow situation as poorly as you can handle it (admittedly, 80% Woody's fault), to now effectively ruining his shoulder with the idiotic decision to play him in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. None of this is to say that Sanchez would have been good if he was coached by a smarter person, but it's hard to imagine any scenario whereby a young quarterback was handied with greater malfeasance by his coach.

No one will care, of course, because we're all glad he's gone, but thank God Idzik has turned Rex into a lawn jockey because letting him attempt to oversee another young quarterback's development would have been catastrophic for this franchise.

+1

And for throwing Geno to the wolves vis a vis Mark's injury. Bc this strategy worked well Rex's first time around.

I'm sorry for Mark personally, but in hindsight was the best think for the Franchise. Mark would have been a huge distraction. Plus Rex loves him and would have even started him, which the pre-season games would have bore-out.

Although the fan base would have Boo'ed the hell out of him, it would have created a very negative vibe with the Team and fans. I now feel the change, even on here, the posters are more positive, the weight of the last four years of Sanchez lifted. I'm not saying Geno is the answer, but it's more we are United, and although I don't expect a great season, I feel much better about now and the future. Go Jets.

Well, I guess the surgery would enable him to be able to claim that he wasn't beaten out for the starting QB position by a rookie because he sucks. Good luck to him.  

He wasn't beaten out. He outperformed Geno all preseason long and I think the new offense would have suited him well.  Now it's time to circle the wagons behind Geno.

This may be a blessing in disguise so that Geno isn't constantly looking over his shoulder (except looking over it at Rex who plans on getting him killed by starting Vlad.)

I'll be surprised if rehabbing helps.  I tore my labrum, the docs tried therapy for 2 months and it did bubkis.  I had to have the surgery.  Rehab was a pain (literally).  It took 2 years to get a full range of motion back, and I never got full strength back, but then I'm not a professional athlete and was 46 when it happened.

My son is recovering from a 180 degree labrum tear in his right shoulder.  He is 4 1/2 months into post surgical rehab and is going to be likely cleared to play football in 3 weeks.  Nice to be 16.  LOL  

Archived