Jets \ Patriots: The Game Thread

Maxman

if there is a critique about the aviators it would be timing. You can't just launch a good Jets chant whenever you feel like it. It should be at key moments such as after a TD/XP and before the kickoff. They will probably improve on that aspect of it. But at the game it was way better than I expected.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GS4, Jets versus Patriots (Week 2), game analysis:

(complete with limited week-1 review, selected self-biased statistics, and a couple gut-hunches to make you feel really horrible about reading this at work)

Weather Outlook: 

The game is scheduled to kickoff at 8:25ET.  According to TWC, Gillette Stadium will have been subjected to 90 minutes of "Isolated Thunder Storms", riding a muggy 84% humidity, through 30% chance of rain...

~~Is a repeat of the lightening-related game delay from "Kickoff Thursday" in the cards???~~ 

(gut-hunch says, yes)

Patriots Defense/ST from Week1:

The NE Def allowed: 150 yards PASSING (off of, 27 attempts at a 66.7% com pct.)

and 136 yards RUSHING (off of, 34 attempts at 4.0 yards a clip)

Good for #9 overall in yards allowed.  Against a rookie-lead Buffalo Bills team.

-Their PASS DEF was ranked #5

RUN DEF  was ranked #29 (gut-hunch says our RB tandem of Ivory/Powell are not as dynamic as Spiller/Jackson)

What is notable however, is that despite not recording a single sack, or interception in the game; the Patriots were able to cause 2 fumbles, and recover them both.  Let's get mentally prepared for Patriot defenders to counter their lack of youth/speed with some savvy play. 

Their main play-makers include:

Jarod Mayo, ILB (12 solo tackles, 3 shared)

Steven Gregory, FS (7 solo tackles, 2 shared)

Rob Ninkovich, OLB (5 solo tackles, 1 QB hit)

Tommy Kelly DE (2 QB hits)

Chandler Jones (1 QB hit) 

and of course...

Vince Wilfork (no notable stats, or weight loss)

Special Teams sucked: Edelman returned 3 punts for 37 yards (10.7 yards avg).  His inclusion into the injury-riddled offense may see a decline in his ST participation.  Newly signed Leon Washington will be in a position to take over his duties and may want to make his presence known against his former team.  I hope our coverage teams don't give up the usual NE-freebie.  (gut-hunch says they will...especially in the rain) 

~~Aside from that, Gostkowski was his top-32 self, hitting 3 for 3, with a 48-yard long. 

Patriots Offense (Week1):

Something to note about the Stupid Patriots Offense is that in addition to losing Amendola (really? or is it a ruse?) Gronkowski, and Shane Vareen, they also LOST two fumbles.  One is credited to Steven Ridley, and the other to Tom Brady.  Ridley's fumble took him out of the game, but injuries and lack of depth will likely have him see the lion share of carries tonight.  Hopefully it's a wet one, and that doesn't help his newly redeveloped fumbilitis. 

They also only managed 288 yards passing, 2 TDs, 1 INT, (on 52 attempts for a 55% com pct.)

and 158 yards rushing (on 35 attempts, for 4.5 ypc)

good for:  #7 OVERALL OFFENSE.  

#15 PASSING-O

#3 RUSHING-O

...all against a defense that was Xerox copied from Rex's brain-trust and applied to an ill-fitted, poorly coached Buffalo Bills defense. 

A defense that was barely able to force, and scoop up TWO fumbles, record 1 interception, and 2 sacks, with 7 QB hits. 

~~gut-hunch...I expect a lot more out of our gang.  I think our DL pressure can rival (even exceed) the Bills...We have too many new studs to not add more pressure than Brady is used to seeing from us, this in addition to our run-stopping stalwarts and "Rex's Wrinkles of the Week", gives the Pats all sorts of problems they didn't encounter on opening day.  

they used a drum line called "the aviators" to run the chant and honestly... it wasn't half bad. The drum gives a sort of college football feel. 

Yup - but only those that have left the tri-state area an experience college football gameday from the tailgate perspective will pick up on that. I love it. I've got a lot of Big 10 football in my past though. Definitely a cool addition, IMO.

Why does it say "Rivalry renewed" on the pregame on CBS?

Was there no rivalry between these teams for any period of time? I've always hated the ******* team, there's nothing to renew its just continuous hatred.

Its a cheap shot to us... they are saying we haven't been a challenge in several year's, so the rivalry kind of dyed.  

Stop Edelman, stop Ridley and make them beat us with the UDFA Thompkins. 

Edelman concerns me because he'll eat Wilson alive in the slot, any thoughts on how we'll cover? 

I'm not afraid of their run game, tbh. We stuffed Doug Martin, we should be able to stuff Ridley, Blount or Leon. 

I cannot wait to see what kind of pressure our front 4 get without the blitz, IMO this is what Rex has been designing with all the DL picks in the draft. Get to Brady with 4 guys, and drop everyone else into coverage.

Its a cheap shot to us... they are saying we haven't been a challenge in several year's, so the rivalry kind of dyed.  

Bingo and they're pretty much right, but f*ck them anyways. I liken this game to wrestling, guarding or playing any sport against a girl; if the patriots win, it's because they're just that dominant and we suck, but if they lose, it's because they were missing Gronk, Amendola and Vereen.  I'll gladly take the win either way, but they've got their built-in excuses already.  It's the NFL, injuries happen and no one told them to trade in welker for that younger china doll.

Dumb. Whatever tho, what else is new? Just really hope they shut these ****ers up.

If they beat NE tonight are we gonna hear them say "new england is just a bad team!"

Stop Edelman, stop Ridley and make them beat us with the UDFA Thompkins. 

Edelman concerns me because he'll eat Wilson alive in the slot, any thoughts on how we'll cover? 

I'm not afraid of their run game, tbh. We stuffed Doug Martin, we should be able to stuff Ridley, Blount or Leon. 

I cannot wait to see what kind of pressure our front 4 get without the blitz, IMO this is what Rex has been designing with all the DL picks in the draft. Get to Brady with 4 guys, and drop everyone else into coverage.

I wouldn't mind seeing whomever is covering edelman to really jam him off the line of scrimmage, because the majority of their routes are predicated on timing.  Cro cannot play those smaller slot guys, because his strides are just too damned long, so whoever it is, I hope they give him help, because I really don't believe Thompkins and Hoomanwanui can beat us on their own.  Thompkins was targeted 14 times the other day and only came away with 4 catches; he looked like his head was absolutely spinning, running the wrong routes, not getting his feet in on two catches and just overall frustrating the sh*t out of Brady.  Dobson is a guy that I think could give us trouble, but it's really all about getting to and making Brady uncomfortable. We do that, plus stop Ridley and I believe it's a game we can take.  However, if at any point the Pats go up two scores, I think it could get ugly. I just don't know if Geno or this offense has enough in them to put up that many points.

Bingo and they're pretty much right, but f*ck them anyways. I liken this game to wrestling, guarding or playing any sport against a girl; if the patriots win, it's because they're just that dominant and we suck, but if they lose, it's because they were missing Gronk, Amendola and Vereen. I'll gladly take the win either way, but they've got their built-in excuses already. It's the NFL, injuries happen and no one told them to trade in welker for that younger china doll.

There will be an excuse every time the jets beat someone.

Archived