The Sanchezian INT's aside- I think we have a QB

Vudu

He only had limited snaps in the preseason. It's his second real game. Our WRs can't catch and STD from a Bronx chick. I'd like to see what he can't do with real WRs

He outplayed Brady in 3 qtrs

His accuracy was always a knock on him.. and we saw it first hand tonight. That last INT was atrocious. But again, I see and feel hope watching him. Sanchez doesn't instill any of that in me as a fan. But I'm with you... our receiving corp isn't helping. They are beyond bad. Hopefully Kerley and Holmes get real healthy real fast, and we bring in two more actual receiving talents. I don't Geno will be a long term stud, but I also don't think he will be a 52 turnover turd like Sanchez.

He is a QB. His poise in the pocket is commendable, his command of the media respectable. He is a rookie and seeing this for the first time and hey we'll give him the time to develop....BUT with that said, you look around the league and it is VERY apparent that you dont need 4 years to figure out if someone is good. You dont need even two years. Every team punching their ticket into a divisional playoff and beyond has an ELITE qb. And by elite i mean that when they stepped into the league, people already knew they were good. The Mannings had int riddled rookie seasons but YOU KNEW they were gonna be good. When Brady first started you knew there was something about him. The new breed of QB is ready to play out of college, ready to win out of college, ready to lead out of college. i aint gonna stand for another 4 year waiting period, not with this defense. Honestly in this game you dont think Matt Sims couldve thrown 3 picks? Do you think Matt Simms couldve made a better pass? I know WR dropped the ball today but i also know that sometimes a more accurate passer helps the WRs. But i'm willing to give Geno his shot. People will say our receivers are terrible but everyone says a great QB makes receivers better...Look at tonight, the Pats have HORRIBLE receivers but he found a way to make it happen.... with one guy.

He is a QB. His poise in the pocket is commendable, his command of the media respectable. He is a rookie and seeing this for the first time and hey we'll give him the time to develop....BUT with that said, you look around the league and it is VERY apparent that you dont need 4 years to figure out if someone is good. You dont need even two years. Every team punching their ticket into a divisional playoff and beyond has an ELITE qb. And by elite i mean that when they stepped into the league, people already knew they were good. The Mannings had int riddled rookie seasons but YOU KNEW they were gonna be good. When Brady first started you knew there was something about him. The new breed of QB is ready to play out of college, ready to win out of college, ready to lead out of college. i aint gonna stand for another 4 year waiting period, not with this defense. Honestly in this game you dont think Matt Sims couldve thrown 3 picks? Do you think Matt Simms couldve made a better pass? I know WR dropped the ball today but i also know that sometimes a more accurate passer helps the WRs. But i'm willing to give Geno his shot. People will say our receivers are terrible but everyone says a great QB makes receivers better...Look at tonight, the Pats have HORRIBLE receivers but he found a way to make it happen.... with one guy.

Geno?

Disagree on Eli Manning.  A million Giants fans thought they got the "other" Manning.  Think Geno's behind-the-receiver throws were bad? Eli would miss his receivers by 5+ yards aiming right at them.

What I was encouraged by, actually, was the consistency with which his passes were off.  Other than just bad decisions, with improves with time, they were all behind the receivers or he threw short.  If he's going to be off on his passes, I prefer this consistency, be it a little ahead, a little behind, a little high, a little low, whatever.  They're all the same.  It is therefore, more or less, ONE thing to work on.  Doesn't mean he'll fix it in a week, but it is the same thing.  He's not anticipating where his receiver will be.  

Compare that to his predecessor, and why Sanchez was never going to be good.  Sanchez, by comparison, was inaccurate all over the place.  So was Eli, for that matter.  High, low, ahead, behind, or on-target.  You never knew where it was going to end up and it's either something that takes years to fix (Eli) or more likely it's something that is unfixable (Sanchez).

I have no doubt I'm seeing some things that I want to see, just as Sanchez-apologists did for about half a decade.  But in terms of accuracy, fixing one thing in terms of timing seems to me easier to fix than 5 things.  Then there's that other thing, which we were (almost) all saying 10 days ago: he's not even supposed to be out there yet.  He has real talent, though, and a throwaway year is the time to find out if that talent can be harnessed.

True, but a great QB can probably only make pond scum receivers like ours less thain mediocre.  I wish our guys were terrible.  I did not realize how bad they were.  Well, the first INT was a bad pass, but it was a tip.  Can Santonio involve himself there?  He never does on these type plays.  The second INT was awful.  Geno tried to place the ball.  I recall that Gates dropped a similar pass in the same area but on the other hash mark earlier in the game. Looked like Geno was trying to make it an easy catch but that never works. Just a bad throw.  You have to wing that.  Not shot put it. The last one---at first I thought HIll was supposed to curl there.  Looked like Geno was throwing to a spot and the big genius was racing up the sideline.  But Geno took the blame---which he would anyway.  It was still bad form on the pass--Geno looked to be on his back foot.  I too am not disturbed at our personnel.  It was probably a case of frustration.  For three periods he was making throws and these clowns were dropping everything.  He is young  and I believe he is smart on the field. But he might have tried to do a little too much.  QBs are not going to see wide open guys if there are other guys open earlier in their progressions.  That happened a few times.  Sometimes they are going to hold it too long.  But he can stand in and take a shot.  The INTs were not the result of timid play.  So we go on from here. I fully expect our wideouts to cause some INTs with their unique methods of dropping passes and running wrong routes.  Geno can take the blame for the late passes and any cowardly duck and chucks (which I have not seen yet).  I found last night's game very hard to watch. We had a running game and a willing QB.  We had a good D.  Our special teams decided not to participate (joke--cut Kyle Wilson).  Our wide receivers are worse than atrocious.

Would like to think that his errors were a result of trying to make things happen. IF any of his WRS could make a play, might have been a different ending.

I don't think catching a pass is the same as making a play.  Holmes had that 1 nice catch on the sideline but that really isn't enough to overcome so many drops.

Geno has to hit guys in stride better & he needs to get his timing better with his deep passes.  Most likely he's being too hesitant.  I don't buy that his arm is physically too weak to make throws that Greg McElroy probably has enough arm to make.

He was pretty inaccurate and holds on to the ball way too long, almost Sanchez like. But he looks like he could improve where Sanchez never did.

That said, I heard you don't need weapons.

Difference is, for about 3+ quarters, Geno looked like a veteran QB out there.  He also looked like a veteran QB in the 4th quarter of the Bucs game.  Now he just needs to be able to put it all together for a full game.  I think he will start stringing together some really solid performances over the course of the season.

You do need weapons, but unlike Sanchez, Geno wasn't constantly misfiring on his receivers.  You could count on one hand his number of truly bad throws last night.  You need 2 hands and both feet in a typical Sanchez game.  Sanchez would overthrow or miss Calvin Johnson out there.  Not so with Geno.

Difference is, for about 3+ quarters, Geno looked like a veteran QB out there.  He also looked like a veteran QB in the 4th quarter of the Bucs game.  Now he just needs to be able to put it all together for a full game.  I think he will start stringing together some really solid performances over the course of the season.

You do need weapons, but unlike Sanchez, Geno wasn't constantly misfiring on his receivers.  You could count on one hand his number of truly bad throws last night.  You need 2 hands and both feet in a typical Sanchez game.  Sanchez would overthrow or miss Calvin Johnson out there.  Not so with Geno.

Well Said.....

I think the biggest difference is they aren't hamstringing Geno with red yellow and green passes like they did with Sanchez.  I think they are letting Geno do what he thinks is best based on play development and taking the results with a grain of salt.  They know this team isn't going to be great this season so Geno has a lot longer leash than Sanchez did because he was playing with a good to great team.  By the time they let Sanchez make up his own mind there weren't many options and the team was poor to average.

I think the biggest difference is they aren't hamstringing Geno with red yellow and green passes like they did with Sanchez.  I think they are letting Geno do what he thinks is best based on play development and taking the results with a grain of salt.  They know this team isn't going to be great this season so Geno has a lot longer leash than Sanchez did because he was playing with a good to great team.  By the time they let Sanchez make up his own mind there weren't many options and the team was poor to average.

Yep.  They're throwing him into Marty Mornhinweg's pass-heavy WCO and asking him to make a lot of decisions back there.  To this point he's performed admirably.

Geno left a bunch of big plays on the field....his deep all is awful, but there are things we can work with here....

The WR's are bad bad.

Again, I don't know how much of that is arm strength, as you're suggesting.  My guess is that it isn't or it would have been all over his draft profiles and pre-season reports for the better part of a year.  He's hesitant and is aiming.  Frankly he ought to know better than to do that by now; this is his first stint in the NFL, not his first stint throwing footballs.  I don't know how much the drops affected it.  Maybe he was trying to make it "easier" to catch by floating it more...I don't know.  What I know is he can't do that and he just got a first-hand lesson in why he can't.

But these receivers are the worst ever, or they certainly were playing like they were the worst.  Kerley has to get back onto the field.  Also in a close game like this it was totally unnecessary to throw 35 passes.  Ivory was doing great (fumble notwithstanding) & should have seen more than a dozen touches.  Powell had a great game for Powell, but it's plain as day that he isn't nearly as talented as Ivory.  Goodson will be back after 2 more games as well (until he gets hurt, lol).

Half of what Holmes used to be and half of what Winslow used to be isn't enough.  Also Geno needs to get his timing down with them better all around.  He was throwing behind them too much.  These guys can't catch - and perfect, on-target throws were also dropped - but throwing behind them even a little bit isn't going to help any.  That will fix itself in time.

Again, I don't know how much of that is arm strength, as you're suggesting.  My guess is that it isn't or it would have been all over his draft profiles and pre-season reports for the better part of a year.  He's hesitant and is aiming.  Frankly he ought to know better than to do that by now; this is his first stint in the NFL, not his first stint throwing footballs.  I don't know how much the drops affected it.  Maybe he was trying to make it "easier" to catch by floating it more...I don't know.  What I know is he can't do that and he just got a first-hand lesson in why he can't.

But these receivers are the worst ever, or they certainly were playing like they were the worst.  Kerley has to get back onto the field.  Also in a close game like this it was totally unnecessary to throw 35 passes.  Ivory was doing great (fumble notwithstanding) & should have seen more than a dozen touches.  Powell had a great game for Powell, but it's plain as day that he isn't nearly as talented as Ivory.  Goodson will be back after 2 more games as well (until he gets hurt, lol).

Half of what Holmes used to be and half of what Winslow used to be isn't enough.  Also Geno needs to get his timing down with them better all around.  He was throwing behind them too much.  These guys can't catch - and perfect, on-target throws were also dropped - but throwing behind them even a little bit isn't going to help any.  That will fix itself in time.

A Mornhinweg offense has passing as a staple. The Jets knew that when they hired him.

It was great to see a cohesive offensive line that blocked passing plays well, and even had a sense of a screen play and how it should develop. A mobile qb that can escape pressure, rather than melt is especially helpful also.

You can see a semblance of offense coming together.

Geno made decision mistakes and was off target on some of his throws but you saw some positives in him. This WR group is not helping in not making catchable passes. He still is too hesitant to let it go back there- being a rookie has something to do with that

I think you hit the nail on the head with this man. Even in post game they said the drops heavily effected him. He started waiting longer and tried to "make sure" players were opened. Doesn't work in the NFL but when he says he's learning I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt in his first year. I hope he bounces back next sunday.

Gates secures that TD pass and we're not having this discussion. The Jets would have ran the ball more and played more conservative and Geno wouldn't have been forcing things.

It's over now though, just hope he learns and is able to trust these guys again...even if he shouldn't.

Geno left a bunch of big plays on the field....his deep all is awful, but there are things we can work with here....

The WR's are bad bad.

His deep ball is awful? He hit his guys in the worst possible place, right? The hands.

You may have listened to too much Mayock. Maybe he could've used 3 more inch lead on a couple balls, but these are supposed to be professional football players.

His deep ball is awful? He hit his guys in the worst possible place, right? The hands.

You may have listened to too much Mayock. Maybe he could've used 3 more inch lead on a couple balls, but these are supposed to be professional football players.

The first play of the game to Powell on the linebacker should have been a touchdown. The drop Gates had was underthrown badly. The catch Gates had was underthrown. For whatever reason (mechanics, arm, nerves) he's not getting anything on passes down the field.

When he steps into his throws and fires the 15 yard bullets down the middle of the field on in/option routes his ball looks  good. Spadola's drop was terrible. The seam routes that require some touch just die in the air. 

The first play of the game to Powell on the linebacker should have been a touchdown. The drop Gates had was underthrown badly. The catch Gates had was underthrown. For whatever reason (mechanics, arm, nerves) he's not getting anything on passes down the field.

When he steps into his throws and fires the 15 yard bullets down the middle of the field on in/option routes his ball looks  good. The seam routes that require some touch just die in the air. 

Didn't see the Powell play as I was at a food tasting for my upcoming wedding.

The Gates play- dude are you SERIOUS- go rewind that play, if it was underthrown it wouldn't hit him in his chest. 

You do not want tremendous zip on a deep ball down the field, you want to lead your man and hit him in stride. He has the arm, not everyone is Drew Brees.

Didn't see the Powell play as I was at a food tasting for my upcoming wedding.

The Gates play- dude are you SERIOUS- go rewind that play, if it was underthrown it wouldn't hit him in his chest. 

You do not want tremendous zip on a deep ball down the field, you want to lead your man and hit him in stride. He has the arm, not everyone is Drew Brees.

Gates stopped on the throw that he dropped. He should have caught it. But if he has to reach for the ball rather than stop and catch it, its a touchdown. He's not hitting these guys in stride when they beat their man.

We might be talking about different plays. The GAtes drop in the EZ was inexcusable.

Archived