The Sanchezian INT's aside- I think we have a QB

Vudu

Seeing as Sanchez name is in the title, it's kind of funny that at this point in his career, after 2nd game, Sanchez had just beaten NE 16-9, without an interception, and  was 2-0.  Everyone was running victory laps that the Jets had finally found their franchise QB.  I was quietly sitting back thinking "we'll see".  kind of like now  :)

Gates stopped on the throw that he dropped. He should have caught it. But if he has to reach for the ball rather than stop and catch it, its a touchdown. He's not hitting these guys in stride when they beat their man.

I think that's due to nerves and being ultra conservative than anything. I think ,compare that with the deep ball that Brady threw to Aaron Dobson just a few minutes later. No extra zip over Geno's but it was too far in front, vs too far behind, and that's what you want to do, give the receiver the only chance to make the play.  Give him time, he will get it. But it's not fair to blame it on arm strength. Arm strength got the ball there to begin with. His short passes have zip.

I think that's due to nerves and being ultra conservative than anything. I think ,compare that with the deep ball that Brady threw to Aaron Dobson just a few minutes later. No extra zip over Geno's but it was too far in front, vs too far behind, and that's what you want to do, give the receiver the only chance to make the play.  Give him time, he will get it. But it's not fair to blame it on arm strength. Arm strength got the ball there to begin with. His short passes have zip.

The last two interceptions Geno had were brutally underthrown. I guess we'll have to see if its correctable and how much was on the WR's(who obviously suck)

The last two interceptions Geno had were brutally underthrown. I guess we'll have to see if its correctable and how much was on the WR's(who obviously suck)

We can do this all day, but I believe he was just rushing around, throwing off bad mechanics trying to make plays happen in the last 5-7 min. I am trying to compare his last 5-7 in his 4th qtr with the rest of his game and it's like two different players. He threw his line out the window but it was naive to try to just force balls in there. 

Also he overthrew both Hill and Holmes a couple times in the last few minutes, it's hard to argue he didn't have pop on those.

They were so underthrown that I think there was miscommunication...especially the Hill on at the end of the game. Hill doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me.

Either one of those could have been comeback routes that were blown. It looked like Gates was apologizing to Smith on the sideline and Hill just looked confused.

Seeing as Sanchez name is in the title, it's kind of funny that at this point in his career, after 2nd game, Sanchez had just beaten NE 16-9, without an interception, and  was 2-0.  Everyone was running victory laps that the Jets had finally found their franchise QB.  I was quietly sitting back thinking "we'll see".  kind of like now  :)

people forget early Sanchez... Geno now is not that different than 2009 Sanchez. He's a little more accurate and he is faster on rollouts/scrambles but their games are similar. Both hold the ball forever and make dumb throws all night long. 

They were so underthrown that I think there was miscommunication...especially the Hill on at the end of the game. Hill doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me.

Either one of those could have been comeback routes that were blown. It looked like Gates was apologizing to Smith on the sideline and Hill just looked confused.

I dont know who sucks more Gates or Hill.

Hill is our speed guy and runs like he's walking up stairs with a grand piano strapped to his back 

Hill is our speed guy and runs like he's walking up stairs with a grand piano strapped to his back 

lol its rough!

Geno just has to to keep faith in these guys and keep hitting them in the hands and chest until they finally make a catch or the Jets find someone who can. He has to make it obvious that he has the ability and then its on the front office to find guys in the draft that can catch for him.

Some of those underthrows and late passes are a direct result of these guys not catching passes. Geno begins to overthink and trys placing the ball too perfectly. He can't do that.

lol its rough!

Geno just has to to keep faith in these guys and keep hitting them in the hands and chest until they finally make a catch or the Jets find someone who can. He has to make it obvious that he has the ability and then its on the front office to find guys in the draft that can catch for him.

Some of those underthrows and late passes are a direct result of these guys not catching passes. Geno begins to overthink and trys placing the ball too perfectly. He can't do that.

Problem is we're talking about Geno too much. Ivory can play...give him the ball. He needed 20+ carries last night. Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun....

Problem is we're talking about Geno too much. Ivory can play...give him the ball. He needed 20+ carries last night. Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun....

That's Marty. That's how he was in Philly too.

However, if we were up 3 instead of down 3 I think it would have been different in the 4th. Who knows though.

people forget early Sanchez... Geno now is not that different than 2009 Sanchez. He's a little more accurate and he is faster on rollouts/scrambles but their games are similar. Both hold the ball forever and make dumb throws all night long. 

Confidence throwing sooner into tighter coverage, I think has a better chance of developing this time around with Morninwheg coaching him up. Just a thought. Schottenheimer seemed from body language like he had no tolerance, and I think Mark has thin skin. Bad combo. I think Geno is overall tougher mentally. Both guys were willing to take their physical licks so I can't fault Mark there.

Hill certainly deserves the crap he is catching today, that fumble was brutal.  Got to disagree with the piano thing.   The reason Hill makes me so mad is that he's always open, then drops it or does something else stupid, like fumbling.   The screw ups generally cost the Jets points, because he is open deep a lot.

27 carries between the two backs I think. Not great but neither of them seem to make anything happen either.

Ivory was running for 5 yards a pop against a pretty good run D, just like he did playing with Drew Brees.  He's going to end up the most dynamic running back we've had in a long time (if not ever?) before all is said and done.  His ceiling is very high.

Agree

Sanchez was never a "good" QB, but really didn't become a "horrible"  QB until the second half of last year.

That was very bad, LOL comically bad.  I think if Sanchez had started the season, and Smith sat and matured , Jets would be 2-0 right now, and have a legit chance to win the AFCE.   If Rex loses his job it will be over his decision to go all in to win the Snoopy Bowl.

Smith has talent, but just isn't ready right now.  I hope the pressure to play right now doesn't turn him comically bad.  I really don't want to see Quinn

Another typical Jets post game. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't. This franchise sucks as$ and it starts with Rex Ryan. Actually it starts with Turnip Johnson, but that is another matter. Rex does not know enough about the entirety of a team to be a HC. Didn't know how many balls were dropped although he could have had stats readily available. He is S.T.U.P.I.D and Gates will line up in his usual spot next week and the week after that and the week after that. This guy is a bum that has been cut by two other teams, but will have a 'career' dropping balls in NY.

Exactly.  But what bugs me is when writers write that he is not ready.  I have seen Flacco (and Sanchez) and countless others do this years into their career and no one says that they were not ready.  The need to write something basically pushes logic aside.  A pro coud have done what he did last night.  If he does it week in and week out then yes, he is not ready.

Agree

Sanchez was never a "good" QB, but really didn't become a "horrible" QB until the second half of last year.

That was very bad, LOL comically bad. I think if Sanchez had started the season, and Smith sat and matured , Jets would be 2-0 right now, and have a legit chance to win the AFCE. If Rex loses his job it will be over his decision to go all in to win the Snoopy Bowl.

Smith has talent, but just isn't ready right now. I hope the pressure to play right now doesn't turn him comically bad. I really don't want to see Quinn

As a rookie he threw 5 picks with 320 yards of run support. He was not a good rookie who got better & better & better & only became bad in year 4.

He caught a ton of lucky breaks early on, particularly vs Tennessee. They dropped 3 sure-fire picks in addition to the one that wasn't dropped. I mean bouncing off hands/chest/facemask type of drops. There were some good 3rd down throws, but overall the stats make him look better than he actually was. Gave up a quasi-pick-6 in game 1 as the D shut out Houston's offense. His circumstances throughout his rookie season were just far easier with less pressure.

We'd be 0-2 with Sanchez right now, and last night's loss margin would have been greater, and that's with Geno not being ready yet.

Yes he went full mark Sanchez in the 4th, but give Smith some weapons and I think we have a budding franchise QB

I completely disagree. The knock on him coming out of college was the interceptions. Here he is. Some people can't shed that. Missed open receivers and on and on. I just don't see him as anything more than a backup.

Another typical Jets post game. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't. This franchise sucks as$ and it starts with Rex Ryan. Actually it starts with Turnip Johnson, but that is another matter. Rex does not know enough about the entirety of a team to be a HC. Didn't know how many balls were dropped although he could have had stats readily available. He is S.T.U.P.I.D and Gates will line up in his usual spot next week and the week after that and the week after that. This guy is a bum that has been cut by two other teams, but will have a 'career' dropping balls in NY.

Yeah but who replaces Gates?

As a rookie he threw 5 picks with 320 yards of run support. He was not a good rookie who got better & better & better & only became bad in year 4.

He caught a ton of lucky breaks early on, particularly vs Tennessee. They dropped 3 sure-fire picks in addition to the one that wasn't dropped. I mean bouncing off hands/chest/facemask type of drops. There were some good 3rd down throws, but overall the stats make him look better than he actually was. Gave up a quasi-pick-6 in game 1 as the D shut out Houston's offense. His circumstances throughout his rookie season were just far easier with less pressure.

We'd be 0-2 with Sanchez right now, and last night's loss margin would have been greater, and that's with Geno not being ready yet.

No they wouldn't they would be 2-0.  They should still be 2-0 with Smith doing his Sanchez at his worst imitation.

I completely disagree. The knock on him coming out of college was the interceptions. Here he is. Some people can't shed that. Missed open receivers and on and on. I just don't see him as anything more than a backup.

The guy who had roughly a 100:20 td to int ratio had interceptions as his biggest flaw coming out of college?? Not even slightly. He went 42 to 6 his senior year.  His biggest knocks were that he fumbled the ball, couldn't play in cold weather (which was debunked as he has a 4-1 record with 1200+ 10 tds to 0 ints in games below 41 degrees) and had a poor attitude, which he's done nothing to perpetuate since being here.  I don't care about his knocks coming out, because none seem to be true, what I will concentrate are the flaws I see in the first two games; throws behind receivers and holds onto the ball too long.  

The things I like: his throwing behind receivers doesn't seem to be an accuracy issue as he's not wild like Mark, but late with the correct reads, he seems to be holding the ball too long, because he either doesn't trust the timing routes or the fact we're chipping and keeping too many guys back and he's not comfortable throwing to guys who aren't open.  He seems to have all the tools and wants to get better; time will tell, but I certainly like the kid.

No they wouldn't they would be 2-0.  They should still be 2-0 with Smith doing his Sanchez at his worst imitation.

Smith bought himself gobs of time with his feet. Sanchez just stands there like a dumbass.

No way in hell we win the TB game with Sanchez, and with their defense he'd have turned it over 3 more times. Picking apart a star secondary, with no run support, with his receivers leaving the game or being far less than 100% in general, with off & on terrible pass protection, is not the type of game where Mark Sanchez shines.

We'd have lost by 20 and heard from endless excuse-makers that no one could win under those conditions. Hell, we read it for years when he failed miserably when all that was NOT stacked up against him.

Smith has a ways to go, but Sanchez is 100% hopeless. Truth is he always was but people chose not to see it.

this thread title is a laugh. It's like saying except for the open herpes sores my junk is in great shape. Geno had a QB rating of 29 or something like that against the Pats. He's no better than 2009 Sanchez at this point.

^Feels this canard slipping away from him.

this thread title is a laugh. It's like saying except for the open herpes sores my junk is in great shape. Geno had a QB rating of 29 or something like that against the Pats. He's no better than 2009 Sanchez at this point. 

Smith's QBR was 15 against the Pats. 

He was pretty inaccurate and holds on to the ball way too long, almost Sanchez like. But he looks like he could improve where Sanchez never did.

That said, I heard you don't need weapons.

WR's, RB's who can catch and a TE now actually mean something. Because you know Good to great QB's actually turn those guys into stars .....You know guys like Clyde Gates

Archived