In case you forgot....

slats

This is essentially a throw away year.

This is the year that new GM John Idzik is using to clear bad contracts off the books, and take a long look at the players he hopes to keep. The young receivers look bad? This isn't a surprise. But it's far better for the team to let those WRs play and improve -or not- than to sit them (or cut them) this year in favor of perennial fan fave Braylon Edwards. Why? Because they'll know they have to replace Braylon next year no matter what, but there's always the possibility that guys like Hill, Gates, and Spadola can show improvement, and justify their roster spots in 2014.

This season should be all about developing young players, and figuring out who isn't developing and needs to be replaced next season. Benching Hill does nothing for the team going forward, continuing to start him, though, could yield benefits. At worst, you know at the end of the season that a large investment is needed at WR next year - which is the same boat they'd be in if they brought in Braylon to start. But at best, the kid might actually develop. By all accounts, he's an athletically gifted Boy Scout. The Jets have an opportunity to give him a very long look, and that's exactly what they should be doing.

Same goes for any other trouble spot on the team. The young CBs, guards, LBs, QB all just need to play. The goal of this season should be to identify what they need to do with all their cap space and draft picks next year. Wins would be nice, but they're really secondary at this point.

sooooooo its okay to have receivers that cant catch because they are young and will learn to catch in years 3 and 4?  give it up man.  if you are a WR who cant catch you can go hit the jugs machine on game day because you are wasting your teammates time.  there are a few unsigned guys that can actually catch a damn football.  bring them in, have them, Tone, Kerly, and Winslow actually play the game to win while hill runs his routes and waits till next year when he can catch.  Maybe take his temperature a couple of times this year and see if maybe he learned early how to catch the damn ball.  You say its a throwaway year but I doubt any players on the team believe that sh!t.

sooooooo its okay to have receivers that cant catch because they are young and will learn to catch in years 3 and 4?  give it up man.  if you are a WR who cant catch you can go hit the jugs machine on game day because you are wasting your teammates time.  there are a few unsigned guys that can actually catch a damn football.  bring them in, have them, Tone, Kerly, and Winslow actually play the game to win while hill runs his routes and waits till next year when he can catch.  Maybe take his temperature a couple of times this year and see if maybe he learned early how to catch the damn ball.  You say its a throwaway year but I doubt any players on the team believe that sh!t.

Anyone still on the waiver wire at this point of the season won't help the team next year. And next year is the year that matters.

If you sign one of those guys, you're already conceding WR as a top priority next year. If you give the kids a chance, you have a chance of making it less of a priority. That should be the goal.

Considering the Pats stink, the division is as weak as its ever been, the AFC is down....no, you can't consider this a throwaway year. It's a golden opportunity year.

If the Jets make it to the Super Bowl this year with Braylon Edwards, I'll retract this post.

really dont like the concept of a throw away year. its the NFL. you go out and compete for 60 minutes. this isnt a tryout or training camp or practice anymore. its the regular season. you play hard and you work your butt off to try and get a shot at making the playoffs. then once you're in the dance, you set your sights on making the SB. this isnt Jacksonville or Oakland. this is New York. Rex wont allow his team to lay down. Agreed that bringing in a Braylon or a TO would be a waste and you're right I like the concept of getting the young guys playing time of course but while they are playing, why not make some plays and win some ball games????? we had 4 turnovers last night and almost won in New England. I'll take it. no reason to think we can't compete for a W every week.

unless Wilk has a high ankle sprain and misses a month and a half. LOL jk jk 

While I agree that this is a rebuilding year, the team is still competitive right now.  The defense is excellent, and our young QB is flashing potential, despite the mistakes (expected for a rookie).  Our biggest problem is our lack of skill position players on offense.

really dont like the concept of a throw away year. its the NFL. you go out and compete for 60 minutes. this isnt a tryout or training camp or practice anymore. its the regular season. you play hard and you work your butt off to try and get a shot at making the playoffs. then once you're in the dance, you set your sights on making the SB. this isnt Jacksonville or Oakland. this is New York. Rex wont allow his team to lay down. Agreed that bringing in a Braylon or a TO would be a waste and you're right I like the concept of getting the young guys playing time of course but while they are playing, why not make some plays and win some ball games????? we had 4 turnovers last night and almost won in New England. I'll take it. no reason to think we can't compete for a W every week.

I don't think slats was suggesting the team shouldn't go out and compete for 60 minutes every week. 

I think he meant in the way we should be viewing from a fan's perspective. 

I don't think slats was suggesting the team shouldn't go out and compete for 60 minutes every week. 

yeah OK true, no fan of this team wouldn't want us to compete. I guess my thought was it shouldn't be a throw away year. we can win these games and we can take some lumps at the same time.

Everyone from Rex on down should be performing as if their jobs depend on it - because they do. Winning is great. Winning at the expense of developing young talent isn't so great, though. They need to know what they need next year. Adding band-aids this year won't help.

That's fine, and I agree.  I'm quite happy with a lot of what I'm seeing.  Vlad's sudden emergence, Geno flashing his potential, the D-Line, and DeMario Davis, are all huge positives.

We lack playmakers on offense, and it's killing us right now.

This is essentially a throw away year.

This is the year that new GM John Idzik is using to clear bad contracts off the books, and take a long look at the players he hopes to keep. The young receivers look bad? This isn't a surprise. But it's far better for the team to let those WRs play and improve -or not- than to sit them (or cut them) this year in favor of perennial fan fave Braylon Edwards. Why? Because they'll know they have to replace Braylon next year no matter what, but there's always the possibility that guys like Hill, Gates, and Spadola can show improvement, and justify their roster spots in 2014.

This season should be all about developing young players, and figuring out who isn't developing and needs to be replaced next season. Benching Hill does nothing for the team going forward, continuing to start him, though, could yield benefits. At worst, you know at the end of the season that a large investment is needed at WR next year - which is the same boat they'd be in if they brought in Braylon to start. But at best, the kid might actually develop. By all accounts, he's an athletically gifted Boy Scout. The Jets have an opportunity to give him a very long look, and that's exactly what they should be doing.

Same goes for any other trouble spot on the team. The young CBs, guards, LBs, QB all just need to play. The goal of this season should be to identify what they need to do with all their cap space and draft picks next year. Wins would be nice, but they're really secondary at this point.

throw away are fr kidding me...the last 40 years have been throw away....maybe the next 40

Anyone still on the waiver wire at this point of the season won't help the team next year. And next year is the year that matters.

If you sign one of those guys, you're already conceding WR as a top priority next year. If you give the kids a chance, you have a chance of making it less of a priority. That should be the goal.

Bro, WR is a top priority next year regardless of who we bring in here this year.  We need 3 WRs and we have 2 signed for next year.  I am not talking about cutting hill.  I am saying he needs to EARN his time just like everyone else.  He can watch Massaquioi and Braylon for all I care until he gets hungry enough to go out and get some passes.  I swear to god he had his eyes closed on that jump ball to center field where he jumped up above the other 2 defenders but kept his hands glued to his own chest!!!!  Bring Keyshawn in to teach him how to go up after a pass for fvcks sake!!!

Agreed on all points, but you have to worry if keeping around all of these bad receivers reflexively hurts Geno's development. It'd be nice to get him one more guy that will be where he's supposed to be on a given play and catch it.

I agree about the WR's possibly hurting his development. If he doesn't trust his group, how does he progress? I think we need a veteran just as  security blanket.

QB's can develop independent of their receivers.  Geno is going to look at the tape this week and see that, for at least 3 quarters, he was putting the throws where they needed to be.  When we get some upgrades at WR it'll just be a pleasant surprise for him when those balls get caught. 

In fact, it might actually help him to be lacking at WR.  He's forced to make really good throws.  If he had a "security blanket" out there he might get tunnel vision and only throw to him just because he's there.  Mark Sanchez, for instance, looked great at USC because his receivers were always wide open.  How did that work out?

I don't see his development getting curbed because of the bad receivers, just his fantasy numbers.

ill give another "In case you forgot" 

In case you forgot the Jets were 12.5 point road dogs doing into last night and had no business making it as close as they did. We are all sad they lost but personally Im proud they didn't embarass us all on National Tv (again). 

In case you forgot the Jets were 12.5 point road dogs doing into last night and had no business making it as close as they did. We are all sad they lost but personally Im proud they didn't embarass us all on National Tv (again). 

Apparently Vegas didnt get the memo the Patriots arent a good football team either.

Agreed on all points, but you have to worry if keeping around all of these bad receivers reflexively hurts Geno's development. It'd be nice to get him one more guy that will be where he's supposed to be on a given play and catch it.

there was a guy wide open in the end zone would have created a new game but he did not get it done

almost doesnt count in horse shoes, hand grenades, and everythingthefckelseinlife.

True, but it IS frustrating to have so many chances to win that game and fall short.  Geno is making me a believer.  It's nice to get back a little of that "we expect to win" kind of feeling with this team.  We haven't had that since Week 14 of the 2011 season.

Before the season it was a certainty that we were going to struggle to win against ANYONE.  Now, does anyone really think we won't beat Buffalo?  I EXPECT to win next week.

Bro, WR is a top priority next year regardless of who we bring in here this year.  We need 3 WRs and we have 2 signed for next year.  I am not talking about cutting hill.  I am saying he needs to EARN his time just like everyone else.  He can watch Massaquioi and Braylon for all I care until he gets hungry enough to go out and get some passes.  I swear to god he had his eyes closed on that jump ball to center field where he jumped up above the other 2 defenders but kept his hands glued to his own chest!!!!  Bring Keyshawn in to teach him how to go up after a pass for fvcks sake!!!

Ha! I noticed the same thing and even mentioned it while we were watching the game. His eyes were definitely closed, like he was expecting a hit instead of trying to catch the ball. 

Apparently Vegas didnt get the memo the Patriots arent a good football team either.

The sharps don't miss memos, the pats are still a very good team.  The pats were 11-20 on 3rd downs and accumulated 431 yards of offense against the Bills last week and we stifled them to the tune of 4-18 and 232 yards; they may have looked completely off and rattled, but a lot of that was Brady being pressured by our defense. You can say they are a bad football team all season long, but they are still going to end up with a minimum of 10 wins as long as Brady's the QB.

The sharps don't miss memos, the pats are still a very good team.  The pats were 11-20 on 3rd downs and accumulated 431 yards of offense against the Bills last week and we stifled them to the tune of 4-18 and 232 yards; they may have looked completely off and rattled, but a lot of that was Brady being pressured by our defense. You can say they are a bad football team all season long, but they are still going to end up with a minimum of 10 wins as long as Brady's the QB.

They'll win 10 probably.The AFC East is awful as is the rest of the AFC.

Brady's been pretty ordinary dating back to last season. And the team we played last night was not a good football team. Losing Vereen killed them.

Is THIS what it has become to being a Jet fan? Yikes.

QB's can develop independent of their receivers.  Geno is going to look at the tape this week and see that, for at least 3 quarters, he was putting the throws where they needed to be.  When we get some upgrades at WR it'll just be a pleasant surprise for him when those balls get caught. 

In fact, it might actually help him to be lacking at WR.  He's forced to make really good throws.  If he had a "security blanket" out there he might get tunnel vision and only throw to him just because he's there.  Mark Sanchez, for instance, looked great at USC because his receivers were always wide open.  How did that work out?

I don't see his development getting curbed because of the bad receivers, just his fantasy numbers.

If that's what he sees, he's not looking at the tape correctly. He should see that he was late with practically every throw, and failed to see a few wide open receivers.

We should have won that game, or at the very least, tied the game...and made them win it. 

Our defense shut them out in the second half.  All we had to do is finish a drive.  We didn't, and we could have.  I'm not taking this game as a moral victory because we didn't get blown out.  I'm not scrapping the season to develop our young talent.  I want to win.  The team needs to win.  If we're going to bench players, and make them earn playing time, we might as well invest in a couple "band-aids" (or take advantage of the week-6 trade deadline) and communicate to the players and fans that this organization is serious about winning.  

Archived