Mangold, Colon, and Brick.. No suspension!!!

pointman

As per Adam Schefter the league will not suspend the Jets players that were involved in the fight at the end of the game last week vs the New England Patriots.

Center Nick Mangold tackled Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib low and out of bounds.  A penalty flag was thrown for a personal foul against Mangold.  Then the festivities began, it seemed like every player was involved.  Willie Colon was ejected for bumping an official and D’Brickashaw Ferguson was ejected for throwing punches.

Ferguson seemed the most likely to receive a suspension, so the Jets will be happy with this news.  Rex Ryan said, “I know that when Nick went to make the tackle, his intent was to get the guy on the ground. He had no malicious intent. That’s for sure. But as it played out, I can understand because the hit ends up being, as the guy goes out of bounds, his back turns to him, so he hits him out of bounds. So, I understand the penalty, but it wasn’t intentional by any stretch.”

Rex was also asked about Bill Belichick yelling at Mangold on the sideline.  Rex’s answer was pretty honest, “I’ve gotten after several of his players and everybody else’s players because you don’t want to see your guy ever take a shot. Again, I’m sure he realizes that it wasn’t an intentional hit, but at the same time, you don’t want to see your players get hit. It was a hard-fought game and things happened in that game. There’s no question. Against rivals, sometimes the intensity picks up.”

You can read more and discuss this in our

Would not have been surprised at all if Colon had been hit with a suspension, but glad to see he wasn't.  Mangold was never even a consideration for a suspension, but a fine was obvious.  Frankly, if Brick is getting fined, a number of Pats players deserve to be as well, but seeing as how they weren't penalized, I'm sure that will be ignored.  Whatever, in the end they can all certainly afford it, so it's just good that there won't be anything beyond that.

Wow, thought for sure Colon was done.

Yep. I thought the question was whether or not it was going to be only 1 game or if they were going to hit him with more.  In hindsight I realize even though he shoved the official & he fell, it's not likely Colon pushed him with the intention of knocking him to the ground, and multi-game suspensions are pretty rare unless you're talking about repeat offenders and it's REALLY severe.  Like Haynesworth intentionally & repeatedly stomping on someone's head type of severe.

Perhaps even the NFL has come to realize what an incompetent bunch of dipsh*ts these refs are, so figured they had deserved it.  Especially after overturning that fumble call.

Amen to that.  It would be nice if they told those bunch of hacks that they'd better start getting calls right and quit the favoritism or they were going to turn the players loose on them with no consequences, but it'd never happen.

Archived