Geno Smith: 'I'm the guy' for N.Y. Jets, not Matt Simms

Sperm Edwards

Geno Smith: 'I'm the guy' for N.Y. Jets, not Matt Simms
  • _Hanzus_2-65x90.jpg
  • By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Sept. 16, 2013 at 08:29 p.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 16, 2013 at 10:14 p.m.

Geno Smith is the New York Jets' starting quarterback. How long it stays that way remains to be seen.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that former undrafted free agentMatt Simms has "real support" within the Jets' building. Smith was asked about the report during a Monday radio appearance.

"Adam's doing his job, and I'm pretty sure whatever he put out there, he probably got some information," Smith said, via ESPNNewYork.com. "But I can tell you one thing. Within this organization, from my coaches right down to (general manager) John (Idzik), Rex (Ryan), all those guys -- I don't think they would have brought me in here if they didn't see the potential in me."

"Matt, I think is a really good quarterback," Smith went on. "But I think I'm the guy for the job."

There was plenty of optimism around Smith after he made some positive plays in the Jetsseason-opening win over theTampa Bay Buccaneers. Those baby steps were washed away Thursday night, however, when Smith threw three fourth-quarter interceptions in a 13-10 loss to the New England Patriots.

If this all sounds familiar, it is. Before the start of the season, NFL Media columnist Mike Silver reported there was internal skepticism that Terrelle Pryor was the right choice at quarterback for the Oakland Raiders.Mark Sanchez was moved to IR-designated to return last week, temporarily removing him from the equation. The only other in-house option besides Simms is Brady Quinn, a journeyman with little upside.

Pryor made those whispers go away -- at least for now -- with his performance on the field. Smith can pull off a similar trick. Of course, that's easier said than done for a rookie who might not be ready.

The "Around The League Podcast" recapped every Week 2 game. Click here to listen and subscribe.

To be fair to him, I don't know how the kid is supposed to answer this.  Don't say you think you're the man - or don't reply to it at all - and people will think you don't have confidence in yourself and are likely a poor leader.  Express too much confidence in yourself - particularly when you're not exactly repeating Peyton Manning's week 1 performance - and you're going to come across as arrogant at best, and an arrogant douchebag who's badmouthing his teammate at worst.  Especially when he knows damn well Simms was not competing for the starting job all summer with him & Sanchez.

To be fair to him, I don't know how the kid is supposed to answer this. Don't say you think you're the man - or don't reply to it at all - and people will think you don't have confidence in yourself and are likely a poor leader. Express too much confidence in yourself - particularly when you're not exactly repeating Peyton Manning's week 1 performance - and you're going to come across as arrogant at best, and an arrogant douchebag who's badmouthing his teammate at worst. Especially when he knows damn well Simms was not competing for the starting job all summer with him & Sanchez.

For a guy who was supposed to be an emotional train-wreck, Smith has handled the NY media horde like a champ.

He has. Honestly Sanchez did also, as did most others. Only one that made me cringe was Pennington with his "privilege" speech.

The Sanchez wrinkled-paper hissy-fit in 09 was bad, too. The one where he wrote a whiny manifesto down on a crumbled piece of notepad and read it to the assembled beat reporters.

I think he gave a pretty good answer, complimented simms, showed confidence

kid is more media savvy than people think

This has been true since he was drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wh66hkWXJA

Geno's way more boss than I think gave him credit for last September. He did a few other things with the press that I'm not recalling right not but remember thinking he was doing an impressive job.

******* media won't be happy unless they destroy the Jets completely.

It's time for the Jets to just shut the door to the media, no players doing radio spots, no availability other than mandatory NFL rules, and after every question the players should answer "you know that reminds me about my childhood dog benji" and just give the ultimate **** you to the media, they have freedom of speech, but everyone else doesn't have to be abused, because they abuse that right, such a shame.

Once again the not-ready QB.  Does  that mean that if Eli Manning throws 7 interceptions in 2 games, some incredibly stupid, that he is now not ready after being ready?  I am sick and tired of this phrase. Can we wait and look at the kid after he has plated awhile?  These writers are exasperating, putting their bowel movements on paper (or online), and hoping people will read them.  I actually foresee a day when sports journalism is almost completely blog-driven.  These people have no perspective.   

Once again the not-ready QB.  Does  that mean that if Eli Manning throws 7 interceptions in 2 games, some incredibly stupid, that he is now not ready after being ready?  I am sick and tired of this phrase. Can we wait and look at the kid after he has plated awhile?  These writers are exasperating, putting their bowel movements on paper (or online), and hoping people will read them.  I actually foresee a day when sports journalism is almost completely blog-driven.  These people have no perspective.   

I don't think he was ready to start.  I really like the kid and don't think it's a knock on him or his ability.  

His accuracy isn't nearly what I saw in practice clips where he was hitting the bullseye every throw.  These first 2 games he's throwing behind on almost everyone.  The drops Thursday night were brutal but it's not like he's putting it between the numbers on every throw (or even on 1/5 of his throws).  When the drops started coming he looked like he was taking something off his passes - particularly the deeper ones - and he can't do that.  He hasn't worked with the receivers enough after getting less than half of the first team snaps all summer.  I like that he surveys the field when given the time, but he still holds the ball too long.  This suggests he doesn't have his internal clock yet, and also maybe that he doesn't know where everyone's going to be yet (playbook not memorized to the point where it's instinct yet) & might literally be "looking for them" before deciding if they're open or not.  It also suggests he's not processing what he's seeing as quickly as he should, and that will cause him to miss an open later read because he's taking an extra full second with earlier ones.  He was not as immediate-start-ready as some other prospects that came out in recent years, but that's not a knock on what kind of a QB he'll grow into.  These things should all improve or get corrected over time.  But all of these things added together suggests he isn't a pure asset to the team right now and that is what is meant by him being unready.  Physically he has the tools.  Mentally he is far behind; he's processing too many things because not enough of them are instinct yet like they are with someone who is ready.  If it doesn't "ruin" him it'll come together in time.  

Everyone veteran makes bad throws or mental errors or just has sh*t games in general.  That is not the same thing.

I don't think he was ready to start.  I really like the kid and don't think it's a knock on him or his ability.  

His accuracy isn't nearly what I saw in practice clips where he was hitting the bullseye every throw.  These first 2 games he's throwing behind on almost everyone.  The drops Thursday night were brutal but it's not like he's putting it between the numbers on every throw (or even on 1/5 of his throws).  When the drops started coming he looked like he was taking something off his passes - particularly the deeper ones - and he can't do that.  He hasn't worked with the receivers enough after getting less than half of the first team snaps all summer.  I like that he surveys the field when given the time, but he still holds the ball too long.  This suggests he doesn't have his internal clock yet, and also maybe that he doesn't know where everyone's going to be yet (playbook not memorized to the point where it's instinct yet) & might literally be "looking for them" before deciding if they're open or not.  It also suggests he's not processing what he's seeing as quickly as he should, and that will cause him to miss an open later read because he's taking an extra full second with earlier ones.  He was not as immediate-start-ready as some other prospects that came out in recent years, but that's not a knock on what kind of a QB he'll grow into.  These things should all improve or get corrected over time.  But all of these things added together suggests he isn't a pure asset to the team right now and that is what is meant by him being unready.  Physically he has the tools.  Mentally he is far behind; he's processing too many things because not enough of them are instinct yet like they are with someone who is ready.  If it doesn't "ruin" him it'll come together in time.  

Everyone veteran makes bad throws or mental errors or just has sh*t games in general.  That is not the same thing.

Yup.  The difference is that these good QBs also have a record of production to offset these bad days.  Geno does not have it yet.  He couldn't.  He has only played two games.  He has  been indecisive.  I also attribute part of that to an understandable lack of trust in his receivers, who basically stink, with the exception of Winslow and Holmes.  For instance, when he did not throw a slant to HIll after the fumble, I suspected he did not trust HIll to get inside of his man.  Later, the INT to Gates was similar to the ball Gates dropped earlier.  Looked to me like he tried to place it to him, and wound up under throwing. Kerley has not been available.  But I see signs of readiness.  If he could just trust these guys a bit more, or get guys he can trust.......Well, hopefully at least Kerley gets back in there.  Kerley and Winslow could provide a decent security blanket.

To be fair to him, I don't know how the kid is supposed to answer this.  Don't say you think you're the man - or don't reply to it at all - and people will think you don't have confidence in yourself and are likely a poor leader.  Express too much confidence in yourself - particularly when you're not exactly repeating Peyton Manning's week 1 performance - and you're going to come across as arrogant at best, and an arrogant douchebag who's badmouthing his teammate at worst.  Especially when he knows damn well Simms was not competing for the starting job all summer with him & Sanchez.

This to a tee. Now that the media has taken over sports completely it's really no different than politics. Your heros, all of them, are dead. 

I dont think he trusts his receivers(or maybe himself) to "throw receivers open".  He sees a tight window and he is trying to thread the needle.  once he gains some confidence in knowing where a receiver will be hopefully he can make the change of going for the WRs that sit to a WR that run to the open field where the ball is waiting for him.  On a seperate note, his down field passes have been off, not sure why that is happening... 

I want to be an NFL player's speech writer.   Geno should have said this to the press:

"How about you bit***hes ask each lineman who can't block, and each receiver who can't catch if  THEY'RE the guy?

After you do that, then you can get up in the rookie QB's sh*t about whether he's the guy."

it's never too early for Matt Simms.

Really?  Yank the kid out already?

I like Simms too but Geno is 1-1 and orchestrated a nice drive in the last thirty seconds of game one to get the winning field goal.  He has a bad second half against the Pats and he sits?

Give the kid a chance.

I wouldn’t be surprise if all these report is coming from Phil Simms's camp.  I had never seen a QB be so "loved" after playing against third stringer in preseason.  This is getting so ridiculous to the point that I wish the Jets will throw him into the wolves against other team' first defense and with real schemes to see if these people will sing the same song afterward.  It was no mistake that Simms went undrafted after losing his job at Tenn while throwing for 50% completion.  The way Geno is playing; we should all be happy.  Yes he tried to do too much at the end of NE game.  But we also saw what happened for three quarters when our WR couldn’t catch a beach ball to save their life. 

Really?  Yank the kid out already?

I like Simms too but Geno is 1-1 and orchestrated a nice drive in the last thirty seconds of game one to get the winning field goal.  He has a bad second half against the Pats and he sits?

Give the kid a chance.

he's the worst starting QB in the NFL. only on Jets message boards is Geno average or mediocre. He stinks and needs to learn.  Just like how Dee Milliner needs to learn. They can bench the first round pick but not the second round pick? 

he's the worst starting QB in the NFL. only on Jets message boards is Geno average or mediocre. He stinks and needs to learn. Just like how Dee Milliner needs to learn. They can bench the first round pick but not the second round pick?

What happens when Simms gives the ball to the Bills four times? Yank him for Quinn? Then what?

The only reason I can see for going to Simms is if he is burning it up in practice.

If Simms looks like he's gone beyond his checkered past,  lifted himself up to another level and it's obvious in practice, then I can see doing it.

Otherwise, stick with Geno.

Archived