Mehta: Jets Should Commit to Smith

flgreen

NY Jets should commit to Geno Smith for this season and not muddy up QB situation longer Could these Jets actually pull rookie for Matt Simms or Brady Quinn? And what happens when Mark Sanchez comes back? NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:46 PM Updated: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 12:57 AM

180061429.jpg Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images  

The Jets name Geno Smith their starting QB... for their Week 3 game against the Buffalo Bills.

inform.jpg

The Jets’ refusal to fully commit to Geno Smith now that Mark Sanchez is out of the picture for the next two months is the latest reason why the team’s decision-makers need to make an appointment with their local optometrists.

They’re all suffering from severe nearsightedness.

Although the decision to place Sanchez on short-term injured reserve for his bum shoulder over the weekend effectively cleared the path for Smith, general manager John Idzik and Rex Ryan have inexplicably stopped short of naming the rookie the starter for the foreseeable future.

“Our foreseeable future is the Buffalo game,” Idzik said Monday in the run-up to the AFC East matchup on Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

A rookie GM who doesn’t take a broad, big-picture approach because anything beyond seven days is deemed “too far into the future” is destined to fail. Of course, that’s if you actually believe Idzik’s public stance.

It’s time for the Jets to put all the quarterback silliness to bed by declaring that the team will succeed or fail this season with Smith, who deserves the chance to get comfortable and grow without worrying whether he’ll get yanked for Matt Simms or journeyman Brady Quinn if he falters. On the surface, that seems like an incomprehensible scenario, but these Jets always find new, peculiar ways to muddy their quarterback situation. So, never say never.

Smith has shown flashes in the first two games that give the organization and fans hope he may develop into what they’re all looking for. He’s also predictably made some head-scratching mistakes, highlighted by his three fourth-quarter interceptions against the Patriots last week.

Idzik, Ryan et al need to give Smith ample time to learn on the job.

Memo to the eternal optimists: The Jets are not making the playoffs this season. So, the organization’s top priority must be to properly evaluate Smith in 2013 before determining how to proceed in next year’s draft, when potential franchise quarterbacks will be available.

Therefore, it makes no sense not to hand Smith the keys with the specter of Sanchez gone for at least the next eight weeks.

“He’s the guy this week,” Ryan said of Smith on Monday, sticking to the Idzik-inspired talking points.

“So is David Harris. So is whoever. A lot of things can happen. We just handle our business this week. After that, we’ll handle our business the next week. We need to take that approach.”

Ryan says that he “get(s) it more now” by not looking too far down the road. He’s right only in certain respects. The head coach has been wise enough to steer clear of grandiose predictions that have come back to bite him, but this is a situation that requires a different tack.

A public service announcement that Smith will be the starter for the rest of 2013 (barring injury, of course) would galvanize his teammates and eliminate any gray area if/when Sanchez returns. Why inject unnecessary drama by leaving the door open for a change if Smith struggles?

mehta17s-2-web.jpg Ron Antonelli Mark Sanchez is on the short-term IR, but could the Jets give him the starting job back upon his return?

Smith admitted on Monday that “of course you would” like it if the Jets said he’d be the starter for the foreseeable future.

“But in this situation, you got to play the cards that you’re dealt,” he added. “In my personal time here, I think I’ve been treated fairly well. I think I’ve been given a great chance, a great opportunity. I got an opportunity this week once again to prove myself.”

The Jets’ brain trust is unnecessarily inviting issues by creating the perception that it’s only invested in Smith for the short term.

Would Simms, who has never taken a regular-season snap in his career, really fare better? Would Quinn magically resurrect his career on a team with a dearth of offensive playmakers around him?

The Jets have created a strange dynamic in which Smith may always feel uneasy at a time when he should only be concerned about improving.

“He has to live in ‘the now,’ ” guard Willie Colon said. “He can’t worry about if in Week 8 or Week 10, if I have a bad one, can I get pulled? He has to worry about his progression each week. If he gets better each week, everything else will take care of itself… He can’t think of the what-ifs or why-nots?

That’s a waste of energy

Idzik’s decision to use the short-term IR designation on Sanchez further clouds the matter. It was a strategic mistake unless Idzik intends to play the veteran quarterback when he returns in eight weeks. (He does not).

It’s strange the Jets would use their one and only short-term IR designation for the season on a backup unless the move was simply motivated by eliminating a potential distraction for the next two months. Sanchez, of course, has exhibited class and integrity at a time when he has every right to be bitter.

What will the Jets do with Sanchez if/when he returns?

By that point, Smith could have nine NFL starts on his resume. If Smith is playing well, it wouldn’t make any sense to bench him. If the Jets are 3-6 and realistically out of the playoff hunt, in part due to Smith’s struggles, wouldn’t it be better off evaluating Smith over the final seven games than playing Sanchez, who likely won’t be back with the team next season?

It’s time for the Jets’ decision-makers to leave no doubt that Smith is their guy moving forward.

Maybe it’ll come into focus after those eye examinations.

Twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-plain-gang-commit-smith-qb-article-1.1458108#ixzz2fA0gjPJ1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ugh more unnecessary articles trying to drum up controversy. THEY ARE COMMITTED to Smith otherwise he wouldnt be playing, Simms would be playing. And that is the problem. Everyone in the media says you have to go with smith cause he was the 2nd round pick not you have to go with him cause he is the better player, Until we all agree that smith is the better player his job should always be on the line. Again im not up for a three year waiting period to see if he has any talent..

The team has off on Tuesdays. Mehta still has to write something. Expect the Wednesday morning Mehta offering to be his most ridiculous.

If Queen had balls, she'd be King.

Sharks thinks seals taste good.

Drunk girls; do they give it up easier?

Do we need to have a ceremony or something?  The guy is starting his third straight game and if he plays well he will get his 4th start after that.  If he doesn't we will evaluate the need for a change.  Pretty standard stuff to me.

I disagree.  While Mehta is only pot stirring, he does have a point.  There is absolutely no reason not to name Geno the starter, period.  There would be absolutely no rational reason for pulling a healthy Smith for either Sanchez or Quinn.  Unless Smith just falls apart or Simms blows up in practice on a daily basis, there is also no reason for starting Simms.  The Jets need to find out what they have in Geno and give him a chance to succeed.  This week-to-week business is totally stupid.

The Jets committed to Sanchez.  And they coddled him.

The Jets are doing the right thing.  Everyone needs to earn their job.  End of story.

Smith knows if he plays well he won't be pulled.

For Smith to play at his best, he doesn't need to be worrying that if he has a bad game he's gonna get benched.  No other starter in the NFL has to play under those circumstances.  QB is different than any other position.  Naming him the starter does NOT equal coddling.  That's just ridiculous.

Id like to see a steady improvement these next couple games. he is playing like a rookie

the one major thing that worries me is he's not putting up points. that really needs to change I don't care what the other stats good or bad are.

He can't put up points alone.  In their first game, the rushing attack was non-existent.  In both games there have been double-digit drops (or close to it).  Mornhinweg may not be helping Geno as much as he could, either.  There have been no down the field shots, too few running plays vs NE when it was working, and I didn't see him calling plays designed to help get Geno in a good rhythm.  In addition, the OL play has been very inconsistent.  Geno has had to run for his life too often.

He's making typical rookie mistakes like missing open receivers, holding the ball too long and locking onto receivers, but there are many more reasons other than Geno that they're not putting up more points.

For Smith to play at his best, he doesn't need to be worrying that if he has a bad game he's gonna get benched.  No other starter in the NFL has to play under those circumstances.  QB is different than any other position.  Naming him the starter does NOT equal coddling.  That's just ridiculous.

You mean like a game were he has 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter or something like that?  I didn't see a lot of worrying this week on anyone's part.  Geno is the starter, Manish is just upset that no one ran it past him.

I disagree.  While Mehta is only pot stirring, he does have a point.  There is absolutely no reason not to name Geno the starter, period.  There would be absolutely no rational reason for pulling a healthy Smith for either Sanchez or Quinn.  Unless Smith just falls apart or Simms blows up in practice on a daily basis, there is also no reason for starting Simms.  The Jets need to find out what they have in Geno and give him a chance to succeed.  This week-to-week business is totally stupid.

Obviously, Mehta is revealing his own buried desire to be granted the title "columnist-for-life."  These stories are just metaphor.

You mean like a game were he has 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter or something like that?  I didn't see a lot of worrying this week on anyone's part.  Geno is the starter, Manish is just upset that no one ran it past him.

we should be worrying. Jets fans have a Geno Smith sized blindspot because he's not Mark. 

we should be worrying. Jets fans have a Geno Smith sized blindspot because he's not Mark. 

Absolute BS.  He's a rookie.  We see his mistakes, but we also see his potential.  We KNOW that he wasn't ready to start and is going to need some time and a lot of reps before we can accurately judge whatever his true potential is.  We also know that his WRs suck and that Mornhinweg probably isn't doing what's best for Geno in the short term with his play calling.  If he was focused on helping Geno in the short term or if winning games was his #1 priority, then once he saw that the Jets were having good success running the ball vs NE, I think he would have called more running plays.  We'll see if that changes going forward.  I think Mornhinweg is not coddling Geno and trying to push him, to see if he has what it takes, and is thinking long term development rather than short term.  Throwing more does give Geno and WRs more snaps and time to get their timing and chemistry down and since Mornhinweg uses a WCO he is trying to develop Geno for that.

My favorite is when this dumbass makes his comment about how not committing to Geno is "unnecessarily inviting issues," when it's his stupid ******* ass who is the one so desperately trying to stir up these issues.  He's a novel concept, if you don't think this should be something an issue, then shut your ******* mouth.

Beyond that, it's clearly being used as a motivational tool for Geno, that much is clear.  Simms might get a shot late in the season if Geno is looking like a complete disaster and they think he's got a chance to be something.  The rest of it is just diarrhea of the mouth.

Absolute BS.  He's a rookie.  We see his mistakes, but we also see his potential.  We KNOW that he wasn't ready to start and is going to need some time and a lot of reps before we can accurately judge whatever his true potential is.  We also know that his WRs suck and that Mornhinweg probably isn't doing what's best for Geno in the short term with his play calling.  If he was focused on helping Geno in the short term or if winning games was his #1 priority, then once he saw that the Jets were having good success running the ball vs NE, I think he would have called more running plays.  We'll see if that changes going forward.  I think Mornhinweg is not coddling Geno and trying to push him, to see if he has what it takes, and is thinking long term development rather than short term.  Throwing more does give Geno and WRs more snaps and time to get their timing and chemistry down and since Mornhinweg uses a WCO he is trying to develop Geno for that.

change Marty for Sparano/Schotty and this is the same excuses people used for Mark.

change Marty for Sparano/Schotty and this is the same excuses people used for Mark.

Whatever.  The situations aren't even remotely similar.  Mornhinweg is 1,000,000 times the OC that either of those assclowns are.  He's a legit NCL OC.  The other two are incompetent hacks and wannabes.  Geno has already shown more potential than Sanchez ever did.

Geno has already shown more potential than Sanchez ever did.

what is evidence that backs up that statement? Mark had tons of games like TB week 1 comeback victories. He also had 4 road playoff wins, 2 of which against Brady and Manning. Geno's probably as bad or worse than early 2009 Mark. Saying otherwise is misremembering history. 

My favorite is when this dumbass makes his comment about how not committing to Geno is "unnecessarily inviting issues," when it's his stupid ******* ass who is the one so desperately trying to stir up these issues.  He's a novel concept, if you don't think this should be something an issue, then shut your ******* mouth.

Beyond that, it's clearly being used as a motivational tool for Geno, that much is clear.  Simms might get a shot late in the season if Geno is looking like a complete disaster and they think he's got a chance to be something.  The rest of it is just diarrhea of the mouth.

Don't start none, won't be none?

Archived