Mehta: Jets Should Commit to Smith

flgreen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No because he outplayed him.  Geno had the chance to win the job.  He laid an egg.  You can say that they both played bad and that is fine.  If Sanchez plays the 4th quarter of the Giants game and comes out healthy, he is the starter week one.  That is the point.  Geno didn't win the job.  Therefore the Jets should not be guaranteeing him anything like you want them to.

Everything has to be earned.  The entitlement era with the Jets is over.

That is the exact reason I don't feel bad for Sanchez.  He got hurt being in the 4th quarter.  Big deal, he was going into the game to prove he could win the job.  Had he proven that in any of his 600 earlier chances, there would have been no need to put him in.  But he always left so much doubt so they had to.

If they find a way to clone Joe Namath I am okay naming him the starter forever.  Everyone else check the lineup card daily like they do in baseball.

Good post.  Never would wish and injury on anyone but if Sanchez was the QB the Jets would be unwatchable.  At least with Geno good or bad your not 100% sure what you will get.  It's at least entertaining and give you a touch of hope.  Plus with Geno starting we will either have our QB going forward or we will be drafting another one early next draft. 

What should Idzik have done with the QB position exactly?  He couldn't cut Sanchez, he had no cap room and he took a QB high in the draft.  Please explain who he should have brought in here. 

I didn't say anything about cutting or trading Sanchez.  There were other options other than Garrard.  There were Campbell and Gradkowski, both of whom I would have preferred over Garrard.  There were also other vet FA QBs who while they may not have been as good as Garrard when he was healthy, they were healthy and Garrard obviously wasn't.  Those other QBs while not that good, aren't known for bonehead plays like Sanchez, and at least would have been someone different to watch struggle rather than continuing to watch Sanchez.  

LOL  How does this prove anything?  It'ssimple, it doesn't.

I don't know what's not to get.  

Smith is a high draft pick.  The Jet's refuse to commit to him, when the competition is  Brady Quinn, and a UDFA Matt Simms, who was canned at Tenn.

Clearly they don't have much confidence in him.  Sanchez, as badly as he played in preseason still out played him.

Smith has a one year window here.  If he flops this year, the Jets will probably replace their CS, draft another high pick QB (1st round?)  and bring in a vet.

That will make it real difficult for Smith

I don't know what's not to get.  

Smith is a high draft pick.  The Jet's refuse to commit to him, when the competition is  Brady Quinn, and a UDFA Matt Simms, who was canned at Tenn.

Clearly they don't have much confidence in him.  Sanchez, as badly as he played in preseason still out played him.

Smith has a one year window here.  If he flops this year, the Jets will probably replace their CS, draft another high pick QB (1st round?)  and bring in a vet.

That will make it real difficult for Smith

I dont know about that.  If the GM that drafted him is still in the building, his window maybe be much larger than 1 year.  Especially if the Jets do what I expect them to do and win just enough games to take themselves out the Bridgewater sweepstakes.  Besides, that's just a terrible strategy all together based on what we've seen thus far.  Its not like he's an incompetent boob out there.  Clearly he can play the position, he's just facing the adversity that 95% of rookie QB's face entering the league.  Last  year was a crazy anomaly with rookie QB's and none of them are near being a finished product.

Glad to hear that you admit that there was entitlement with this team

I have been saying that for awhile.  I hated how there were no consequences for Sanchez.  I don't think Parcells did everything right, but I always enjoyed how he handled players that messed up.  They knew clearly that failure wouldn't be tolerated.

I didn't say anything about cutting or trading Sanchez.  There were other options other than Garrard.  There were Campbell and Gradkowski, both of whom I would have preferred over Garrard.  There were also other vet FA QBs who while they may not have been as good as Garrard when he was healthy, they were healthy and Garrard obviously wasn't.  Those other QBs while not that good, aren't known for bonehead plays like Sanchez, and at least would have been someone different to watch struggle rather than continuing to watch Sanchez.  

Who specifically?

So far you mentioned Campbell and Gradkowski.  So I would rather go with Smith and see if he is the one over those guys.  Garrard could win some games if he was healthy, that is why I supported that signing.  But who are the other vet Free Agents that you would have liked him to sign?  They were so limited by the cap as well...

LOL  How does this prove anything?  It'ssimple, it doesn't.

Well every other team in creation names a starter for the year.  The Jets didn't.  So if that doesn't prove something to you then I guess this conversation is over, lol.

Good post.  Never would wish and injury on anyone but if Sanchez was the QB the Jets would be unwatchable.  At least with Geno good or bad your not 100% sure what you will get.  It's at least entertaining and give you a touch of hope.  Plus with Geno starting we will either have our QB going forward or we will be drafting another one early next draft. 

Thanks newb.

Do you think I will win post of the week for it?

I dont know about that.  If the GM that drafted him is still in the building, his window maybe be much larger than 1 year.  Especially if the Jets do what I expect them to do and win just enough games to take themselves out the Bridgewater sweepstakes.  Besides, that's just a terrible strategy all together based on what we've seen thus far.  Its not like he's an incompetent boob out there.  Clearly he can play the position, he's just facing the adversity that 95% of rookie QB's face entering the league.  Last  year was a crazy anomaly with rookie QB's and none of them are near being a finished product.

I'm not talking about releasing him, but I do think that if Smith keeps on turning the ball over, they will be looking for another QB in next year's draft.

They didn't spend an early 1st on him so I don't think they are married to the pick the way they were to Sanchez.  If  Smith doesn't give them reason  to be excited about him,   they pick say 14, and there is a QB they like think they pull the trigger, which puts Smith in deep water.

Well every other team in creation names a starter for the year.  The Jets didn't.  So if that doesn't prove something to you then I guess this conversation is over, lol.

They didn't name Sanchez starter, either.  If, as you claim, he had clearly outplayed Smith, then more than likely he would have been named the starter.  That's what our discussion was about, not that Geno wasn't named the starter initially.

Who specifically?

So far you mentioned Campbell and Gradkowski.  So I would rather go with Smith and see if he is the one over those guys.  Garrard could win some games if he was healthy, that is why I supported that signing.  But who are the other vet Free Agents that you would have liked him to sign?  They were so limited by the cap as well...

I mentioned the two specifically that I would have preferred.  I didn't say I liked any of the others or wanted them to sign any of the others, but there were others who as far as I know, weren't the health risks that Garrard was.  Below is the complete list of FA QBs.  Obviously, the Jets had cap issues, so many of them  (all the better ones) were out of reach, and there were others like Matt Leinart who I wouldn't have wanted under any circumstance.  I've crossed through all those names on the list of those QBs who were either too expensive, weren't gonna leave their present teams, or I wouldn't have wanted.

But if you'll look at the list, there are other veteran QBs there, who aren't the clowns that Sanchez is.  They're not very good and aside from Anderson I really don't like them, but if the team was looking for a veteran backup, competition for or someone other than Sanchez to start, there were other cheap options like Derek Anderson, Rex Grossman, Brady Quinn, David Carr, Trent Edwards, Josh McCown, Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace, and Caleb Hanie who would have been hard pressed to have played as poorly as Sanchez did last year.  If Idzik did intend to draft a QB and start him at some point during the year regardless, then any of those guys could have fit the bill as a cheap, temporary alternative to Sanchez while the rookie QB developed and adjusted to the NFL.  I liked Garrard, but as slats pointed out, he hasn't stayed healthy in years, and was a very risky move (too risky imo) for a team that desperately needed help at QB.

As I've said previously, I'm not killing Idzik for this, but do think he could and should have done a better job securing a veteran QB to help the team than Garrard.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Hopefully, he learned from it and moved on.

Joe Flacco (Signed six-year, $120.6M deal with BAL) 

Kevin Kolb (Signed two-year, $6.1M deal with BUF)

Matt Moore (Signed two-year, $8M deal with MIA

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $6.5M deal with TEN)

Tarvaris Jackson (Signed one-year deal with SEA)

Matt Hasselbeck (Signed two-year, $8M deal with IND)

Jason Campbell (Signed two-year, $3.75M deal with CLE)

Chase Daniel (Signed three-year, $10M deal with KC)

Drew Stanton (Signed three-year, $8.2M deal with ARZ) 

Matt Cassel (Signed two-year, $7.4M deal with MIN)

Josh Johnson (Signed two-year, $1.445M deal with CIN)

Brian Hoyer (Signed two-year, $1.965M deal with CLE)

Byron Leftwich

Brady Quinn (Signed one-year, $780K deal with SEA)

Vince Young (Signed one-year deal with GB)

Matt Leinart

Rex Grossman (Signed one-year, $960K deal with WSH)

David Carr (Signed one-year, $1.005M deal with NYG)

Derek Anderson (Signed one-year, $840K deal with CAR)

Charlie Batch

Bruce Gradkowski (Signed three-year, $4.95M deal with PIT)

Kellen Clemens (Signed one-year, $870K deal with STL)

Tyler Thigpen 

Trent Edwards 

Tim Tebow (Signed two-year, $1.385M deal with NE)

JaMarcus Russell

Caleb Hanie (Signed one-year, $715K deal with BAL)

Dan Orlovsky (Signed one-year, $905K deal with TB)

Josh McCown (Signed one-year, $865K deal with CHI)

Seneca Wallace (Signed one-year, $840K deal with NO)

A.J. Feeley

Troy Smith

Luke McCown (Signed one-year, $840K deal with NO)

Chris Redman

John Beck 

Jordan Palmer (Signed one-year deal with CHI)

J.P. Losman 

Kevin O'Connell

Who specifically?

Literally any veteran that could have taken snaps for 5-8 games while the coaching staff worked out the kinks on Geno's footwork and skillset, and allowed him a chance to gel with the team and especially his receivers. This is not a competitive year for this club, the team should have stuck to their guns and made us fans just sit here and deal with it for a season, as they broke it down and rebuilt a good foundation. But instead here we are, forced/rushing into more bad decisions. Rex and Idzik clearly blew this- yes Garrard screwed us but what Rex did in the Snoopy Bowl was inexecusable in light of the bigger picture. I would not be opposed to Quinn starting right now before bad habits do in fact get ingrained in Smith.

Edit Let me say one other thing: I had $100 on 18:1 odds that we won the East this year. If the kid turns out awesome right away I will be the happiest dude alive. I just do not see this as intelliget given our recent history

I'm confused by all this....somewhere along the line this whole Matt Simms thing got way out of control.

All Schefter said was that some people in Jets offices thought Simms should start the season. That's it. The rest was conjecture by him.

The part where he says If Geno struggles, might be something to watch, was not from a source...that was Schefter stirring the pot. It's nonsense and now everyone is all bent outta shape.  

The Jets are committed to Geno. Unless he implodes and is throwing 3-4 picks every single game there is no way they are going to go away from him. It's not what Idzik wants, and lets be hoenst, that's all that matters.

So everyone just calm down.

Archived