TRADE dept. : are the jets talking to the vikings re a trade ? ? ?

kelly

If you’ve been on Facebook or Twitter in the last day or so, you’ve seen the trade rumors involving Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and the New York Jets. The trade rumor started when the trade concept was mentioned on a New York radio station, WFAN 660 AM. While this most likely was just wishful thinking by the Jets faithful, it was enough for it to creep into social media.

Last week, the Jets had their starting running back Chris Ivory go down with a pulled hamstring. That hamstring has been nagging him all year. Most recently, the last hamstring pull that Ivory had kept him out for several weeks, and rumor is that the team is not confident to go forward with Bilal Powell as an every down back for the team.

This is where the Vikings come in. The word on the street is that the Jets are looking to trade with the Vikings. Most assume it is for superstar Adrian Peterson. We already saw one running back who was a former first round pick be traded this year, so it isn’t impossible. But a trade like that from the Vikings would set the team back even more than the current 0-3 hole that the team is in.

Instead, the Vikings should try to dangle Toby Gerhart to the Jets. He is a much more likely target for the Jets, since the Vikings will most likely not be able to retain him and would lose him in free agency anyway. He also fits what the Jets like to do as a team and could be had for a much smaller price.If the Vikings do end up trading last year’s MVP to the Jets, expect to see a large majority of the Vikings fan base going into hibernation. Losing the team’s best player at this point of the season at 0-3 would be enough to make even the most sane Vikings fan insane.

Keep in mind that this is a just a rumor. It would be extremely shocking to see a trade like this go down and a radio station in New York isn’t exactly a reputable source for trade information. Vikings fans should rest assured that Peterson won’t be going anywhere for a long, long time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Goodson returns to the team after this game. Powell is coming off a 150 yard performance. However misguided, the Jets already traded for a RB this year in Ivory. Really don't see them trading for another back this year. And unless it's something like a 6th round pick for Gerhart, they shouldn't even entertain the idea.

Luckily, this is probably 100% BS, anyway.

It would be nuts to give up a 1st round pick for AP. We know he is great and all that but this would just be a classic Tannenbaum type blunder.

A mid rounder for Gerhart could be OK. He really hasnt gotten used all that much in Minn but he could be an upgrade over what the Jets have.

Powell has been solid but he is sloooooooow. Gerhart  has under 4.5 speed.

Also, maybe the Jets know Goodson isnt coming back too soon and feel the need to add a back.

A first for AP would be FANTASTIC!  Guy is a once in a generation guy.  Just an absolute freak.  I remember when he was drafted, one of the ex-NFL analyst said that he shook AP's hand after he was drafted and that he had never experienced a grip like his. Just absolute power.  Plus, he is a bonafide leader in the locker room and on the field.

That being said, I doubt Idzik pulls the trigger since he is hanging Rex out to dry this year, AMIRITE?

It would be nuts to give up a 1st round pick for AP. We know he is great and all that but this would just be a classic Tannenbaum type blunder.

It would be nuts not to. Guys twenty eight years old. Blunder is a bit strong, don't you think?

Guy may turn out to be the best RB in the history of football. You would classify trading a mid first rounder (probably late first rounder if we have him) as a blunder?

The way people overvalue draft picks amazes me.

If you think receivers are getting open now...

Mike Goodson returns to the team after this game. Powell is coming off a 150 yard performance. However misguided, the Jets already traded for a RB this year in Ivory. Really don't see them trading for another back this year. And unless it's something like a 6th round pick for Gerhart, they shouldn't even entertain the idea.

Luckily, this is probably 100% BS, anyway.

Yeah, pretty much all of this.  Not to mention, while many are trying to act as if the Jets are losing their starter given Ivory's health, the truth is that Powell has been working as the #1 all along.  When you combine that with, as you mentioned, the return of Goodson and the fact that Mornhinweg is never going to be running a full-time "ground and pound" type offense, I can't imagine the team being in any major rush to make a move for another RB, especially one that will cost them anything of significance in return.

Besides, this isn't Trader Mike we're talking about here.  Sure, Idzik made the deal for Ivory, but since then has otherwise shown himself to treat draft picks like gold, even planning his FA signings around the concept of maximizing the team's comp picks.

If the Jets were in the market for a RB they would have gotten in on the Trent Richardson trade. These tings don't happen in a vacuum and it is likely Idzik knew something about Cleveland's desire to dump him. I say stay the course, Powell is much better than Shonn Greene was / is, and while Ivory looks like a bust Goodson will be back after this week so Jets are ok in RB department.

I just saw something that his agent says Brett Favre can still play- that is the next article I foresee- Jets interested in bringing back Favre.

Shut up. I bought that crap back then, even bought the number 4 jersey, which is now buried in my backyard along with the memory of it.

oh,..Gerhart would be possible...and a good addition to our roster rolleyes.png

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

more likely scenario is the Jets/Vikings talking about Jerome Simpson since he's going to be losing his job to coradelle patterson eventually

Both are FAs in 2014. Another trade and sign?  Pass. I can believe the Vikings might move Peterson.  I think he gets paid Revis money.

Yep. Another high quality guy. Never smoked pot. Only had a two pound pillow of it arrive at his house.

Robert Parrish used to have it FedExed to his hotel and everybody considered him a high character guy.

fyi  :

~ ~  Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

Once Chris Ivory injured his leg in the game, it made perfect sense that the Jets were going to need some more help at the skill position until Mike Goodson can return from his suspension and even then, it might take Goodson some time to acclimate. The Jets might just be updating their data on Nelson but a running back rather than a tall receiver might make more sense, even if just for a week or two.

~ Jake Steinberg @Steiny31

#Jets have signed former Hofstra RB Kareem Huggins to the Practice Squad...

> http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/jets-work-out-wr-david-nelson-and-other-skill-players/

It would be nuts not to. Guys twenty eight years old. Blunder is a bit strong, don't you think?

Guy may turn out to be the best RB in the history of football. You would classify trading a mid first rounder (probably late first rounder if we have him) as a blunder?

The way people overvalue draft picks amazes me.

If you think receivers are getting open now...

I don't deny he is special. Maybe if the Jets were a team that was one player away but they aren't.

The only time the Vikes have made any noise in the playoffs since they drafted AP was when Favre was there so there's that to consider also.

Archived